Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one man and his dog

• 24-01-2014 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hi all!
    I've decided to start a training log, I'm currently training for the run mount Juliet half marathon and GLR marathon.

A bit of background!
    I'm 29 and in 2009 I was heading for 20st.(I've since lost 7.5st) I joined a gym and done the all the usual crack,
    In 2011 I joined boot camp Ireland for a couple of months and one Sunday I decided to go for a run on my own with the idea of doing 10k, I couldn't I did 7 or so but ever since I've always loved taking to the road.
    My 10k pb is 45:21.

I hope to do the marathon between 3:30 and 3:40 I'm currently running 4 times a week covering 30-40 miles a week,

I'll gladly accept advise or observations on my running!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

First run of the week
    3x1200m intervals with easy jog between and 1 mile warm up and 1 mile cool down,

1st : 4:59
    2nd: 5:08
    3rd: 5:05

Was aiming for 5:05-5:09 so happy with this mornings run!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Hi Finn,

How far into your plan are you?

Hi Calvin
    this is the 8th week of the program

How's it going so far?

Do you have any 50 mile weeks?

Going grand feeling strong this morning was tough but not to the point I'm killed!

No 50 mile weeks I think the longest week is around 40 miles

• Advertisement

6 easy miles this morning averaged about 9 min/mile smashing morning for running this morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Finnt wrote: »
    6 easy miles this morning averaged about 9 min/mile smashing morning for running this morning!

Are you serious? Or is there some sarcasm in there?
    I was out this morning and got absolutely saturated in the torrential rain, spent my time running through puddles on the flooded paths and shivering in the freezing cold. My hands were actually numb despite the fact that I was wearing gloves :(

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Or is there some sarcasm in there?
    I was out this morning and got absolutely saturated in the torrential rain, spent my time running through puddles on the flooded paths and shivering in the freezing cold. My hands were actually numb despite the fact that I was wearing gloves :(

No seriously! It was cool put no rain or wind and a perfect clear sky!!

I'm guessing you're not in Dublin then?
    Or else you were out running at 5am before I woke up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I must be a weirdo as I thanked that post as when I looked out the window this morning and it was lashing rain I though YAY, it's raining, I love running in the rain and it'll be quieter on the roads and paths:o

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »
    I must be a weirdo as I thanked that post as when I looked out the window this morning and it was lashing rain I though YAY, it's raining, I love running in the rain and it'll be quieter on the roads and paths:o

I wouldn't say that as I normally enjoy it myself, but the rain was torrential and it was bitterly cold. Especially on the cool-down. Maybe I'm just a bit soft?? :pac:

I wouldn't say that as I normally enjoy it myself, but the rain was torrential and it was bitterly cold. Especially on the cool-down. Maybe I'm just a bit soft?? :pac:

yeah maybe that's it. Get yourself some running tights:) (that's a joke btw;))

I do have some, but I'm afraid to wear them. I think I'd rather freeze :P
    I put them on to help with recovery after a long run sometimes, but even then I try to avoid mirrors!

I do have some, but I'm afraid to wear them. I think I'd rather freeze :P
    I put them on to help with recovery after a long run sometimes, but even then I try to avoid mirrors!

and other people I hope:D

Just got caught in a downpour 20 minutes ago. No problem with rain but it's not much fun when it's as bad as that.

I'm guessing you're not in Dublin then?
    Or else you were out running at 5am before I woke up :D

No I'm not in Dublin I'm in tipp but I was out at. 5:30!

Ososlo wrote: »
    , I love running in the rain and it'll be quieter on the roads and paths:o

I like the rain too! I'd run away in it, can be a bit hard to get up in the mornings when the alarm goes off and you can here the rain hopping of the window!

4 mile fartlek this morning should have been a bit longer but was late getting up :-( !

Mostly hills and 100m sprints.

Smashing morning again. Now to try get tickets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Now to try get tickets!

Tickets... For Garth Brooks...? Unfollows. :pac:

Beef wrote: »
    Tickets... For Garth Brooks...? Unfollows. :pac:

There were for the wife didn't get them anyway !

• Advertisement

There were for the wife didn't get them anyway !

Sure they were! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Good luck with the log, is this your 1 st marathon? Do you race much? Fair play to you on your weight loss, you have plenty of discipline anyways. If it s your 1 st marathon check out the DCM 2013 novices thread loads of good advice there.

Hi Sam
    It'll be my first marathon I've been flicking thru the dcm tread some good stuff in there alright.

I've only ever raced 10ks and I've only done 2 in the past year, I've the mount Juliet half on the 14th of feb and the marathon in May. I haven't thought any further than that yet!

Hi Sam
    It'll be my first marathon I've been flicking thru the dcm tread some good stuff in there alright.

I've only ever raced 10ks and I've only done 2 in the past year, I've the mount Juliet half on the 14th of feb and the marathon in May. I haven't thought any further than that yet!

The half marathon will give you a good idea of where you are at anyways, plenty of good advice on here so ask lots of questions!

13.75 miles today,
    Average 8:27min/mile

Was tough going in spots the route I ran today was a lot hillier than I thought it would've been!!

First run ever with a bottle belt and drinking on the move, not as easy as you'd think it might be!!

13.75 miles today,
    Average 8:27min/mile

Was tough going in spots the route I ran today was a lot hillier than I thought it would've been!!

First run ever with a bottle belt and drinking on the move, not as easy as you'd think it might be!!
    Its an acquired skill, nice mileage there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck with your log and your training, it sounds like you've made serious progress with your fitness, congratulations. Now you can really enjoy those gains!

Smashing morning again this morning couldn't be much different from yesterday thankfully!

Anyway! 6 x 800m repeats this morning, with a mile warm up and cool down.

1; 3:17
    2; 3:17
    3; 3:19
    4; 3:19
    5; 3:22
    6; 3:23

Kind of faded a bit towards the end.

Beginning to think of Sunday week, I'm running the half in mount Juliet, My original plan was to aim for 1:50 now I'm wondering if 1:45 would be possible ? 8min/mile for 13.1 miles

You should use the half as a gauge for your marathon time. Based on your 10K time you would be looking at sub 1:45 for the half - which in turn would suggest nearer the 3:40 time than the 3:30 you posted about in your first post I think. This is assuming you have done some longer runs also though.
    Have you done any half marathon paced miles in training as part of a session or anything?

• Advertisement

Beef wrote: »
    You should use the half as a gauge for your marathon time. Based on your 10K time you would be looking at sub 1:45 for the half - which in turn would suggest nearer the 3:40 time than the 3:30 you posted about in your first post I think. This is assuming you have done some longer runs also though.
    Have you done any half marathon paced miles in training as part of a session or anything?

No! As foolish as it sounds now i've not done any half marathon paced training,
    I've a 8 mile marathon pace run planed for Thursday morning, I might try the first 6 miles @ 8min or would it be too much to do it all @ 8min?

Advertisement