Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one man and his dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

I think I read on DCM Graduates 2013 thread Blockic recommending 7 miles at HMP about 10 days before the race, have a look through it in case Im wrong though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Finnt wrote: »
    No! As foolish as it sounds now i've not done any half marathon paced training,
    I've a 8 mile marathon pace run planed for Thursday morning, I might try the first 6 miles @ 8min or would it be too much to do it all @ 8min?

It might be no harm to do 1.5 miles easy, either side of 5 miles at HM pace and see how you get on? If you're feeling good after the 5, you could always do another couple. It will feel tough especially during a marathon training plan, but it's supposed to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

5.7 miles today at 9:02 average, going to do tomorrow's pace run at half marathon pace an see how it goes.

9 miles this morning done a mile warm up 7 miles @ HM pace and a mile cool down.
    7 mile times :

1; 8:00
    2; 7:51
    3; 7:50
    4; 7:59
    5; 8:03
    6; 7:46
    7; 7:57

Average 7:54/min happy with the run, found the first 2 miles tough, but would have done another mile or two at the end but time was against me this morning.

I wasn't really looking forward to this mornings run, once I got started I really enjoyed the run.

I think I'll try run the half at 8min pace hopefully I'll be able to keep on pace for the 13.1 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Well done, nice run indeed.

• Advertisement

Great run - definitely go for the 8 minute miles now. What's your plan for tomorrow?

Tomorrow is a planned rest day, with an 8 mile lsr on Saturday. Probably should do a short easy run in the morning?

A recovery run (as much as I dislike doing them myself) would probably be the conventional wisdom the day after a session like that. It will help your legs, ahead of Saturdays run. Meno and career_move would be so proud of me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

+1 on the recovery run, its not something I ever took seriously until lately. I find now though if I do say 4 miles at something like 2 mins slower than my hmp after a hard session it really sorts out any residual soreness for the next days run.

9 miles this morning done a mile warm up 7 miles @ HM pace and a mile cool down.
    7 mile times :

1; 8:00
    2; 7:51
    3; 7:50
    4; 7:59
    5; 8:03
    6; 7:46
    7; 7:57

Average 7:54/min happy with the run, found the first 2 miles tough, but would have done another mile or two at the end but time was against me this morning.

I wasn't really looking forward to this mornings run, once I got started I really enjoyed the run.

I think I'll try run the half at 8min pace hopefully I'll be able to keep on pace for the 13.1 miles!

Nice going, great that you felt you could continue.

• Advertisement

A recovery run tomorrow it is so!! Got my race number and chip in the post today for mount Juliet all set now!! An easy week next week on the run up to it.

Finn , what pace do you do your tempo and MP sessions at?

Mine can be very close in pace so just interested if you have much separation.

Hi calvin,
    At the min I'm not doing any tempo runs,
    The plan I'm following has me doing MP runs every second Thursday, I do these at 8:14/mile or so.
    On the other Thursdays I do a fartlek run which is usually 6-7 miles including warm up cool down,
    I normally do some hill sprints in these sessions then I run along a path that's lined with poles and sprint all out from the first to the third, then easy from the third to the fourth and repeat!

I used to do a tempo run when I was training for the last 10k I ran, but usually ran that at about 7:50 mile

Well!

8.25 miles yesterday @ avg 8:48/mile.

Made a big mistake yesterday and ate not long before heading out, change of plan meant either getting out after lunch or not getting out at all.
    Got a stitch about half way into mile 1 nearly had me turning around.
    Was a bit of a slog thru the rest of the run.

I decided before heading out that I'd try run by feel, so I clipped my garmin onto the dogs collar and headed off, the idea being I could record the run and not be able to look at the watch! Tbh I'm not sure I'll do it again! What was supposed to be an easy <9min/mile ended up been a bit too quick!
    I wonder what's the implications of running long runs too fast?
    I struggle sometimes to run slow miles slow!

Anyway this week is a planned easy week, rest today 6ez Tuesday 4ez Wednesday and 4 ez on Thursday, with the half marathon on Saturday. Well that's the plan anyway!

Garmin acting up again today!
    About 5-5.5 miles in about 50 mins
    Felt a bit tight in my right calf, foam rolling on the cards this evening!

Garmin acting up again today!
    About 5-5.5 miles in about 50 mins
    Felt a bit tight in my right calf, foam rolling on the cards this evening!
    Mind yourself, the hard work is done, you want to go into your race with no niggles

Didn't run this morning calf still not quite right, maybe I being over cautious.
    Will go for a run in the morning if all feels ok.

4 miles this morning, woke up with sore throat and feeling like sh*t,
    First two miles were at 9 min pace or so wasn't feeling the best but ran the second at 8min/mile or so. Just to remind the legs of what's ahead on Saturday!
    Last mile easy, had no choice really got caught in a snow shower. The weather is gone mental!

The half got cancelled today, was fair cross about it I rang before I headed off yesterday and they said it was going ahead, the weather was grand last night but they cancelled it at. 9 this morning. I was not impressed!

Anyway what to do now? Think I'll do a long run tomorrow 13 miles+ and skip the easy week next week.
    I see there's a half in Wicklow next weekend but I think I'll give it a miss.
    I don't think I can afford another easy week.

The half got cancelled today, was fair cross about it I rang before I headed off yesterday and they said it was going ahead, the weather was grand last night but they cancelled it at. 9 this morning. I was not impressed!

Anyway what to do now? Think I'll do a long run tomorrow 13 miles+ and skip the easy week next week.
    I see there's a half in Wicklow next weekend but I think I'll give it a miss.
    I don't think I can afford another easy week.
    Ah feck it, you must be gutted, hard to know what to do now really. Would be nice to get a race in for you see how you are progressing especially with training going well.

• Advertisement

I know I'm kind of gutted for my €50 entry fee too!
    I'll see was thinking of maybe running the Wicklow half at marathon pace, or maybe slightly quicker but not hard enough that I couldn't train the following week.

I know I'm kind of gutted for my €50 entry fee too!
    I'll see was thinking of maybe running the Wicklow half at marathon pace, or maybe slightly quicker but not hard enough that I couldn't train the following week.
    I think it would be hard to hold back on the day. Surely you will get a refund? When is the marathon? Maybe put up a post asking for advice from the experienced people regarding what to do.

May bank holiday weekend, I know as soon as I'd cross the start line I'd probably go fu$k it and just go for it,
    Might post in the main forum in the morning, heading for dinner now!

Have decided not to raced now before Limerick, ran 6 miles this morning
    A mile and a half or so warn up
    3.1 miles @ 7:19min/mile avg
    Mile splits:
    1: 7:29
    2: 7:17
    3: 7:16
    4: 0:45
    And a mile and a half cool down,
    Wasn't really planned after I warmed up went for the first mile with the idea of doing 2X2miles at hm pace but half way thru second mile I thought feck it, go for 5k.
    Back up the training plan tomorrow!

Have decided not to raced now before Limerick, ran 6 miles this morning
    A mile and a half or so warn up
    3.1 miles @ 7:19min/mile avg
    Mile splits:
    1: 7:29
    2: 7:17
    3: 7:16
    4: 0:45
    And a mile and a half cool down,
    Wasn't really planned after I warmed up went for the first mile with the idea of doing 2X2miles at hm pace but half way thru second mile I thought feck it, go for 5k.
    Back up the training plan tomorrow!
    Nice session, good you have your decision made, hope you got your 50 euro back!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Bummer on the cancellation at the weekend. Would have been nice for you to see the benefits of the great work done since the start of the year..........all roads lead to Limerick now. Keep up the good work.

6X800m repeats this morning with 3 mins recovery in between, with a mile warm up and cool down,
    800m splits:
    1; 3:20
    2; 3:12
    3; 3:19
    4; 3:21
    5; 3:21
    6; 3:24
    It's the first time I've done them as intervals as opposed to repeats, I usually wouldn't take as long recovery between them but it defiantly helps.

5.5 miles this morning at avg 9:44 /mile
    Had planned to use my HRM this morning but the battery must de dead in it, it wouldn't connect to my garmin!

Just realised I didn't post Saturdays run

Saturday 20th
    9 miles at PMP
    Splits

1; 8:04
    2; 8:04
    3; 8:06
    4; 8:05
    5; 8:00
    6; 8:03
    7; 8:11
    8; 7:52
    9; 8:09

The avg was 8:05min/mile which was a little in the quick side (PMP is 8:12) but a grand run I enjoyed it!

This mornings run was 7 X800m repeats with 3 minutes rest between them
    Splits:
    1; 3:13
    2; 3:06
    3; 3:20
    4; 3:10
    5; 3:20
    6; 3:16
    7; 3:30

There was a fair wind blowing this morning! All the odd numbers are against the wind, and the evens are with it. I couldn't believe the difference it made. Was tough going heading against the wind!

• Advertisement

Good run Finn.

Are you going to aim for 3:30 in Limerick?

Advertisement