Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one man and his dog

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I dunno yet I was thinking of 3:30-3:40 but I'm beginning to lean to 3:35, about 8 weeks of training left I'll have to decide soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Cool, I might run behind you and grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Are you related to that Spanish guy I was talking about in my report?? :pac:

Looking thru your log not sure what you'll be doing behind me ?
    What are you aiming for in limerick ?

Haven't decided yet but would imagine we'll be in the same region.

• Advertisement

5 miles @ 8:46/mile avg this morning,
    Nice easy run in the rain!!

6 miles this morning,
    1 warm up
    1 hard mile (6:54)
    Then a mix of hills and flat sprints. I took ecoli's advice, and changed my usual hill to a less steep one that's a bit longer, definitely thought it was a better session.

14 miles today at 8:32 avg horrible day for it, wasn't feeling the love for it much!

7X800m intervals today, with 3 min recovery between them 800m splits

1; 3:10
    2; 3:07
    3; 3:11
    4; 3:10
    5; 3:16
    6; 3:13
    7; 3:18

Good session no wind or rain made a huge difference !

Great stuff Finn. You're shaping up well.

• Advertisement

Great stuff Finn. You're shaping up well.

Happy enough with the way things are going, what're you planning for in limerick?

I think it's too early to decide. A lot can happen in the meantime.

How about you?

I dunno yet but I'm thinking sub 3:40 hopefully, I kinda of bothered I didn't get a race in before limerick but it's too late to be worrying about that now !

About 55 mins of easy running this morning my garmin decided this morning it would have a break!

Any one have suggestions on a replacement for a 405cx?

I'm probably wrong but would your 800 splits indicate that you could be capable of sub 3:20 in a marathon?

I can see what ya mean, but I don't think I'd be able for it. We'll see how the splits look when I'm doing 10X800m.

By the looks of your half time I reckon I'll be behind you anyway !

It's a real shame that race got called off. What were you hoping to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Have you considered doing a shorter race a couple of weeks out from the marathon, I did a 10 km 2 weeks before Dublin and it was a great confidence boast.

It's a real shame that race got called off. What were you hoping to run?

I was hoping for around 1:40 or so

quote="SamforMayo;89332133"]Have you considered doing a shorter race a couple of weeks out from the marathon, I did a 10 km 2 weeks before Dublin and it was a great confidence boast.[/quote]

I was thinking the same as I'm kind of a week ahead of my plan at the min, so I could do a 10k and take a couple of easy days after, might look at one at the beginning of April

8 mins this morning was supposed to be at marathon pace but ended up being more of HMP run
    Splits:

1; 7:26
    2; 7:30
    3; 7:27
    4; 7:35
    5; 7:40
    6; 7:52
    7; 7:49
    8; 7:56
    7:39min/mile average, you have to love running if you told me when I was training for my first 10k, that I'd run 10k in about 46:xx mins as part of a training run, I'd have laughed at ya!!
    Feeling in great shape this morning!!

• Advertisement

Finnt wrote: »
    8 mins this morning was supposed to be at marathon pace but ended up being more of HMP run
    Splits:

1; 7:26
    2; 7:30
    3; 7:27
    4; 7:35
    5; 7:40
    6; 7:52
    7; 7:49
    8; 7:56
    7:39min/mile average, you have to love running if you told me when I was training for my first 10k, that I'd run 10k in about 46:xx mins as part of a training run, I'd have laughed at ya!!
    Feeling in great shape this morning!!

Great work, you could do a great 10 km now, go for it!

There's a 10k on in ennis at the end of the month I might run it, I seen it on run Ireland but the only contact details are on a Facebook page and I don't have a Facebook acc! It would be perfect timing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You're going well Finnt! What kind of longs runs are you getting in?

Tbh long runs are kind of worrying me! The plan I'm following has long runs every second week with the longest being 17 miles, do far I've done up to 14 miles (last weekend)
    I'm supposed to do an 8 mile ez run tomorrow then 15 the following week and then 8 the next and so on.

I'm going to up this a bit I really want to have a 20 miler done at least once and I think the 8 milers every second week end are a bit short. Is it a bit late to be changing the plan?

Hi Finn - think there's no problem with changing the plan to suit you. There's still plenty of time before the race. 8 miles does seem a bit short for a LSR at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Finnt wrote: »
    Tbh long runs are kind of worrying me! The plan I'm following has long runs every second week with the longest being 17 miles, do far I've done up to 14 miles (last weekend)
    I'm supposed to do an 8 mile ez run tomorrow then 15 the following week and then 8 the next and so on.

I'm going to up this a bit I really want to have a 20 miler done at least once and I think the 8 milers every second week end are a bit short. Is it a bit late to be changing the plan?

Hi Finnt - yes I was wondering as I haven't seen too many long runs in your log up until now. I think P&D classify long runs as 16 miles or over so you should get some practice of these in. For me it's the most important run of the week. It's defo not too late to change the plan I think and if you post up the one you are following the more experienced runners around these parts (not an eejit like me) will surely help you out to keep the balance right.

Beef wrote: »
    Hi Finnt - yes I was wondering as I haven't seen too many long runs in your log up until now. I think P&D classify long runs as 16 miles or over so you should get some practice of these in. For me it's the most important run of the week. It's defo not too late to change the plan I think and if you post up the one you are following the more experienced runners around these parts (not an eejit like me) will surely help you out to keep the balance right.

+ 1 to the above. Get some advice from the experienced people. How many weeks left? Did you take a look at Career Moves plan on the DCM 2013 mentored thread? It was very good.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    + 1 to the above. Get some advice from the experienced people. How many weeks left? Did you take a look at Career Moves plan on the DCM 2013 mentored thread? It was very good.

I can't find it on the phone must root out the laptop and have a look, 8 weeks today is the marathon so if I extend the long runs by a mile a week I'll hit 20 3 weeks before Limerick, which would be good timing,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056913937&page=5

This is the link to the mentored thread (I hope), plan should be near the beginning, lots of good advice in it all though, worth a read.

• Advertisement

Sunday 9th march
    15miles average 8:29 min/mile
    Went out a bit quick and felt it on the last couple of miles, anyway have decided to concentrate on putting in the long runs on the weekends and won't race now until Limerick.

Advertisement