Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one man and his dog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Finnt wrote: »
    I do! Sunday week, I plan to do 14m this weekend, have a touch of the man flu at the mo. Didn't run this morning minding myself, can't be too careful with manflu!

MAN FLU, have you contacted the HSE to let them know of the new outbreak. Was feeling a bit off myself yesterday luckily though it was the female version of MAN Flu ie A COLD:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

@FBOT01 thanks for the concern! Both the kids and the wife have had a touch over the last couple of days, thankfully the dog seems to have avoided it. He's not long off a rest week he can't afford anymore time off!!

@samformayo, that's a common misconception as FBOT01 say manflu can be a killer!

Anyway fri 4th April
    Was supposed to do 8 miles at MP,
    Ended up doing 10k faster than my current 10k pb,
    Splits:
    1; 7:07
    2 7:15
    3; 7:19
    4; 7:15
    5; 7:19
    6; 7:19
    7; 1:32 (.21m)
    Avg 7:16
    Total 45:08

About half way into mile 1 my garmin went into showing me what satellites I was using!! I couldn't get it back into training mode for ages, I felt I was closer to hm pace but kept going, it let me back into training mode just before mile 5, at that stage I thought I just push on and see what I could do the 6.2miles in,
    Maybe it wasn't the best idea I've had but it makes my pb look soft now anyway!

@FBOT01 thanks for the concern! Both the kids and the wife have had a touch over the last couple of days, thankfully the dog seems to have avoided it. He's not long off a rest week he can't afford anymore time off!!

@samformayo, that's a common misconception as FBOT01 say manflu can be a killer!

Anyway fri 4th April
    Was supposed to do 8 miles at MP,
    Ended up doing 10k faster than my current 10k pb,
    Splits:
    1; 7:07
    2 7:15
    3; 7:19
    4; 7:15
    5; 7:19
    6; 7:19
    7; 1:32 (.21m)
    Avg 7:16
    Total 45:08

About half way into mile 1 my garmin went into showing me what satellites I was using!! I couldn't get it back into training mode for ages, I felt I was closer to hm pace but kept going, it let me back into training mode just before mile 5, at that stage I thought I just push on and see what I could do the 6.2miles in,
    Maybe it wasn't the best idea I've had but it makes my pb look soft now anyway!

Well done on your PB(especially as you are recovering from a killer virus;)), there must be something in the water as I did the same yesterday all be it at a slower pace. Donnacha must have inspired us!

10 miles today nothing too interesting until about mile 6 started getting a cramp/pain in my lower left calf!
    Thought I could run it off but by mile 7 I turned and hobbled home! Probably nothing serious but going to take it easy for a day or two and see what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭e30fitz

First time reading your thread very interesting stuff for me because our goals are similar as the GLR will be my first attempt at the 26.2. I have had a few gaps in my training so I thinking of just aiming to come in just under 4 hours now as opposed to the 3:30 just to get the first one ticked off the list. I struggled Saturday weekend on a lsr just managed 18 of a planned 20 doing 8.30 min pace should have went slower i think the 3:30 dream is gone. Best of luck with the last bit of training/tapering.

• Advertisement

5.45 miles at 9:30 pace
    Not as easy a run as the pace might suggest, legs felt like concrete the whole way round . My calf seems fine so that's a good thing! Was thinking might be no harm take an easy week this week keep the milage up but easy enough running, give the legs a break especially with the 20 miles this weekend,

6.8 miles at 8:56avg pace,
    Smashing morning this morning, nice easy run!

5.5 miles this morning all easy running with 2 miles at mp in the middle, rest tomorrow then 20 miler Saturday looking forward to this one, going to use it as a trail run for the marathon

Last 20 miler done!
    Avg 8:49 struggled with the pace a bit, trying to slow it down.
    Anyway it's done now! Took a gel at mile 1,5,10 a bag of jellys at 13 and another gel at 18, no real need for the last one just wanted to see how'd the stomach take it, all grand no cramps or any thing.
    Legs are tired now but no niggles,

A full weeks running ahead this week and a half or so the following week then the taper begins!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

You're doing great Finn. I think we should run together in Limerick.

• Advertisement

Last 20 miler done!
    Avg 8:49 struggled with the pace a bit, trying to slow it down.
    Anyway it's done now! Took a gel at mile 1,5,10 a bag of jellys at 13 and another gel at 18, no real need for the last one just wanted to see how'd the stomach take it, all grand no cramps or any thing.
    Legs are tired now but no niggles,

A full weeks running ahead this week and a half or so the following week then the taper begins!

Well done, God its getting very near now! Are you going with a pacer?

You're doing great Finn. I think we should run together in Limerick.

Your more than welcome too but I reckon you'd be doing yourself a disservice, I'm aiming for sub 3:45, your definitely ahead of that!

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well done, God its getting very near now! Are you going with a pacer?

Going to go out with the 3:45 pacer and see, I kind of worried of doing the first half too quick and the wheels coming off in the last 6-10 miles.

How did that 20 miles feel?

If you're doing that at 8'49 pace it is very encouraging?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Training going well Finnt, fair play.

How did that 20 miles feel?

If you're doing that at 8'49 pace it is very encouraging?

It is! But I reckon 3:40-3:45 is about where I'm at,
    I felt good after the 20 miles but I've got to run it faster in Limerick and tack 6.2 on to it!!

I guess - I've ran all three of my 20 mile runs slower than that. It will be interesting.

I've a feeling you could finish fast if you set off at 3'45 pace.

Going to go out with the 3:45 pacer and see, I kind of worried of doing the first half too quick and the wheels coming off in the last 6-10 miles.

I'd say be conservative as it's a first marathon, I went with 4.10 pacer but ran 3.58.xx , so you can pick it up if you are feeling good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I agree with SamForMayo. Go out and enjoy rather than endure your first marathon. If you finish it feeling very strong, go ahead and smash it in Dublin later in the year.

@beef, @sam totally agree, that's the plan going to head out with the 3:45 pacers and see how I go.

Tuesday 15th
    10X800m intervals
    Splits:
    1; 3:14
    2; 3:10
    3; 3:12
    4; 3:14
    5; 3:17
    6; 3:13
    7; 3:16
    8; 3:16
    9; 3:29
    10; 3:18

Good session, last one before the marathon!

Wednesday 16th
    Got up for a recovery run felt a bit of a niggle in my lower right ankle/calf decided to give the run a miss rest the ankle
    Thursday 17th
    Decided to do an easy run this morning, got about 400m out the door had to turn around my ankle was having none of it!
    Not good, going to rest it now until the weekend and see how it is Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Nice going Finnt, no doubting your speed for Limerick. You will be really able to drop the hammer in the last 10-15k hopefully.

Nice going Finnt, no doubting your speed for Limerick. You will be really able to drop the hammer in the last 10-15k hopefully.

Cheers op fair play to you nice going last weekend, I've visions in my head now of getting to 20miles and "hammer time"
    Playing in my head!

Nice session there, hopefully the ankle is just a niggle, at least you were sensible and did nt run on it. What is the planned LSR this weekend?

Hopefully 14 miles we'll see how it goes how long did you taper for?

2 weeks before we cut back to 24 miles with a lsr of 8 miles, week before just 10 miles over 4 days very easy pace.

Still haven't ran since Tuesday, think I'll chance a run tomorrow ankle feeling better, not ideal on the last couple of weeks on the run up to a marathon!

Don't panic, you have the most of it done now, and your important LSR s in. Its more important to arrive at the start line uninjured.

9.5 miles this morning felt good on the first few miles but by the time I turned around was in agony, going to try get an appointment for a physio this week not sure how it looks for limerick now.

Oh no Finn, hope you're going to be able to run.

• Advertisement

9.5 miles this morning felt good on the first few miles but by the time I turned around was in agony, going to try get an appointment for a physio this week not sure how it looks for limerick now.

Feck it thats a dose at this stage. Get to a physio 1st thing tomorrow. Have fingers crossed for you.

Advertisement