Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one man and his dog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Just out of the physio, not good. long story short no limerick marathon for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Noooooo

How cruel. Feel awful for you Finn. Hope you will get the benefits of all your hard training in your next race whenever that will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

So sorry to hear that Finnt :(
    Hopefully it won't take long to recover from the injury and you can look towards another marathon later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Sorry to hear that Finn.
    There's always other races though. The base you've built up will stand to you in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sorry to hear that Finnt, a tough one to take, but the base is there and won't go to waste, get yourself right and a great DCM14 is there for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Ah ****e - sorry to hear that Finnt. But as was said you've come on leaps and bounds during the block of training so you can hit the ground running once you're fit and well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Finnt wrote: »
    Just out of the physio, not good. long story short no limerick marathon for me!
    Really sorry Finnt, so disappointing, any idea if you will be out for long?

Thanks all, will be off for about 3 weeks to a month, I'm a bit disappointed about it all right. But to look at the positives I've a good block of training put in, and it's early in the year can still get back on track for an autumn marathon.

In a separate note, I got an email today from the Paris marathon to say I got a €99 spot!! It's also too late to defer entry to the limerick marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Sorry to hear about the forced layout. You were ticking along nicely over the last while. There will be other days. For now take it handy and get yourself right.....however, make sure the dog doesn't slack off just because you are injured:)

FBOT01 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the forced layout. You were ticking along nicely over the last while. There will be other days. For now take it handy and get yourself right.....however, make sure the dog doesn't slack off just because you are injured:)

Id say the dog is delighted, wagging his tail looking forward to the rest.

• Advertisement

Another 2 weeks of no running! Just spent 40 painful minutes at the physio!

Another 2 weeks of no running! Just spent 40 painful minutes at the physio!

That's a right dose Finnt! Hope you get the all clear soon.

Sheffery 5 and 10 km is Saturday June 21 st and 7 pm. Details on run mayo run. Hopefully you will be back for that.

Thanks Sam, hopefully I'll be back by then I'll be bouncing off the walls if I'm not! Just catching up on your log, If I were you I'd be thinking about 1:40 it'll be no bother to you.

Have the garmin on charge! Hope to get out in the morning for a run, it's been 5 weeks.

Have the garmin on charge! Hope to get out in the morning for a run, it's been 5 weeks.

That's great news Finnt, it will be like been released from prison I'd say! Slow and steady, do nt over do it!

Good luck Finn - hope to see you smashing some PBs this summer

I've been released!! 3.5 miles @ 8:31pace, the distance and pace are irrelevant just great to be back out. No niggles feel good, I do notice a big drop in my fitness! I've. 5 months or so to get that sorted before dcm tho!!

An hours running this morning, dont know the distance my new 310xt died just after I got out the door! All good no niggles, rest tomorrow and run again Saturday
    All going well I'll start upping the running over the next couple of weeks before I start any plan or that all going well then I'll do a couple of 10ks and then maybe a half.

A race would be good for you.

• Advertisement

A race would be good for you.

There's a 10k on in ennis next month might have a crack at it, if the next couple of weeks go well

5.5 miles @8:31avg nothing too exciting just a blip around the block, the new watch behaved today!!

I was thinking this morning and reading thru pacing mules log I see it was suggested to him too,
    I might ditch the idea of running Dublin and concentrate on shorter stuff for a while, If I can stay injury free and consistently do 40 mpw+ in a year or two I could manage a decent 10k time and wouldn't it put me in a good place for a crack at 26.2?
    Just wondering what people's thoughts on this are?

It is of course completely up to you but...

I think you should use your Limerick training and combine it with Dublin training to run a great first marathon. Then you could concentrate on shorter stuff for a period.

I was thinking like that, I really enjoyed the marathon training, but I'd thought of spending time after Limerick on my 10k time, and I reckon if I got my 10k pb down a bit more and built up my mileage base a bit I could have a good go at the marathon in a year or so. If I keep the mileage up and I'm consistent and hopefully stay injury free, I'd being a better position in the future.

It all depends what you want to achieve really.

Can't help thinking that getting that first marathon under your belt would serve you well though.

I was thinking this morning and reading thru pacing mules log I see it was suggested to him too,
    I might ditch the idea of running Dublin and concentrate on shorter stuff for a while, If I can stay injury free and consistently do 40 mpw+ in a year or two I could manage a decent 10k time and wouldn't it put me in a good place for a crack at 26.2?
    Just wondering what people's thoughts on this are?

It s a tricky decision since you had all the training done and you were unfortunate to miss Limerick. I think building up the miles slowly and consistently would stand to you and concentrating on shorter distances can be very satisfying. How is the injury?

SamforMayo wrote: »
    It s a tricky decision since you had all the training done and you were unfortunate to miss Limerick. I think building up the miles slowly and consistently would stand to you and concentrating on shorter distances can be very satisfying. How is the injury?

I'm keeping the mileage handy enough at the min and all seems good, it's in the back of my mind that if I start building up to the marathon again I'll end up injured again, wheres if I build up the mileage and concentrate on shorter distances I'll be in a better position in a year or so,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Do whatever you enjoy the most. I think we all get preoccupied with the marathon and it becomes an obsession. I might not run another marathon but I'm really enjoying the shorter races at the moment. You can do them more often with little recovery time needed and you still get the race day atmosphere and buzz. It's not quite the same but I think most runners rush towards the marathon before there is any need to really.

• Advertisement

Did 4 handy miles this morning with a short hard strava segment, i downloaded the app and there's a segment on a route I often run so I just had to let it rip! I thought the cr time was a bit soft and I was right, I cr'ed on it!!

Anyway I've decided I not running Dublin I'm going to do the nenagh runfest 10k in July, i've 6 weeks to get in shape!!
    Anyone know how to change the log title?

Advertisement