Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one man and his dog

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

4 miles this morning, first mile warm up then 2@ 7min/mile (6:59,7:00)
    And a mile cool down.
    Nice to get some speed work in even if it was a short session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

Like the new log title.

A new log title! I decided as the dog does most of my runs with me he deserves some recognition!!
    I've some new goals too! I'm going to skip the marathon in the medium term to concentrate on my shorter times, this is to build a good base and hopefully avoid another injury.
    The first goal race is the Shannon airport runwayrun 5k on the 4th of July
    Then the nenagh runfest 10k on the 13th of July
    I'm going to nail my colours to the mast now and say I'm hoping for sub 21 in Shannon and sub 43 in nenagh.
    Maybe it's a bit soon after coming back
    to be chasing times but I've it said now!

I'm following a 6 week 10k plan loosely, if anyone is interested it the action aid sub 50 min plan,
    Now enough talk time to log some runs!!

31/may
    6.02 miles @ 8:27 avg a bit of an lsr, I choose a hilly route felt the last mile or so a bit tough,

2/June
    First session of the plan,
    1.5mile w/u @ 8:41avg
    25mins hard @ 7:22avg 3.39 miles
    .14 mile c/d @8:49avg

5/June
    40mins medium @ 7:40avg 5.21miles
    .94mile c/d @9.09avg

Sorry for the drawn out post!!

Is the dog running the Shannon 5K and the Nenagh 10K as well? I hope yours runs faster than mine....he flatly refuses to run faster that 9mins/mile or over 5 miles unless of course he is chasing another dog;)

Good luck with the new strategy and targets.

He'll go the distance alright but maybe not on race day!! Speed is no bother to him, he's not fond of anything over 13 miles tho.

• Advertisement

Sat 7/June

1 hr @ med/easy
    6.87mile @8:43min/ mile
    1.2 c/d @ 9:15min/mile

Sun 8/June

4.5miles @ 8:18
    This was an easy paced run ran by feel was too fast!

First week of 6 done feeling good the only thing I see is there isn't a huge difference in pace between the hard and medium stuff, maybe the hard runs should be harder.

Mon 9/June

4.94miles @ 7:50avg
    Was supposed to be 40 mins medium ended up with 38:47!

Wed. 11/June
    1 mile w/u
    4X800m intervals with 200m ez jogging
    1.37mile C/d
    Splits:
    1; 3:16
    2; 3:15
    3; 3:18
    4; 3:18

Fri 13/June
    4.26miles @ 8:14 avg

Sunday 15th/June

8.69mile @8:28avg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Are you completely injury free now?

If I go much longer than an hour I get a niggle in my Achilles and I felt it a bit after the 800's. I'm being fairly cautious probably overly so!! I'm trying to slowly build back up the mileage.

Wed 18/June

1.5mile w/u
    28mins @ 6:55-7:45/mile
    1.5 c/d

The 28 mins were at 7:26 min avg I felt myself fading towards the end the heat even at 5:30am was serious,
    An easy run tomorrow and Friday with a long run the weekend,
    I think it's more my endurance rather than speed that's being effected with my lay off, hopefully as I build up the miles this will improve.

• Advertisement

I'm missing a couple of runs from last week! I deleted the off the garmin before logging them here,

Sunday 22/June
    8.01 miles @8:22min
    Stretching out the long run a bit, this was grand no niggles after it, I want to get out to about 13 miles or so over the next 5/6 weeks.

Monday 23/June
    4 miles recovery
    Nice and ez nothing over interesting!

Wednesday 25/June
    5.43miles
    1 mile W/u
    4x1mile intervals with 90 sec rest/easy jogging
    Splits
    1; 6:41
    2; 6:44
    3; 6:47
    4; 6:44
    This is a session I picked up from the main forum as a predictor for 5k race time,
    According to that I should go sub 21 for the 5k, Friday week will tell. I'd be delighted with that.

Great work Finnt, the lay off hasn't done any harm.

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Great work Finnt, the lay off hasn't done any harm.

This evening will tell!!

Finnt wrote: »
    This evening will tell!!

Best of luck Finnt, you deserve a good race!

Friday 4th July,
    Shannon runway 5k run,

I was a bit nervous, coming into this I hadn't raced since November! The race was due off at 11pm and I worried after working all week if be found asleep at the starting line.

I was at the airport early, collected my number and put on the tshirt and race number.
    After a warm up from Richie Clifford (I stood and watched) we headed for the start line.

I had it in my head hit the first mile @ about 6:45, then try the second about the same and leave everything I had on the last half mile. Sure id a plan what'd go wrong?

I ended up with my belly to the starting tape more by accident than any thing after what seems ages we got the go!

Mile 1:
    About 100m in we had a left hand bend I looked at the watch after this and my pace was 5:50min!! Had to slow it a bit, but wS still been passed by a few others it's hard to slow up when your getting overtaken! I looked again at about .5 mile 6:20 pace getting closer but still abit fast!we turned left and onto the first straight. First mile 6:20,

Mile 2
    Had gone out too fast! Still felt great but decided to slow it down a bit, was over taken by a few on this mile nearly all dead straight with another right bend and onto the run way mile 2 6:46

Mile 3
    Still felt good, picked up the pace a bit over took a few at the start of this mile could hear a gang coming up behind me one of them had a head light and I could see the light getting bigger on the ground beside me, no way he was going to over take me!! A woman over took me about 1/4 way into this mile had to caught her!
    Looked at the watch at 2.5 mile another .1 and was time to empty the tank, I was over taken again by a guy by the sounds of it he'd a huge bunch of keys in his pocket!
    2.6miles done, hammer time! First up overtook key man! Then a couple more, spotted the girl that passed me ahead just before the last turn I passed her, I could see the start ahead and went for it I could see a fella ahead had the same idea I tried to stay with him, I got a couple more before the line stopped my watch. Caught a glimpse of the clock on the line, had to be wrong!
    Mile 3 6:18.
    And the .1 I hear you ask? Wasn't there! Course was a bit short I think!

Watch time 19:28
    Chip time 19:23

Over the moon to go sub 20 evenif it was short, wasn't expecting it at all.

Great race! A huge learning curve, there's a lot to racing 5ks really enjoyed it!

Sunday 6th July,
    6 miles at 8:26avg a handy out and back smashing morning for it.

Great running. Well done. Keep up the good work.

That's a fantastic result, well done!

6.5 miles this morning 8:14avg, nice and handy!

I think I'm going to start upping the mileage a bit I'm going to try and follow this the McMillan 10k plan as described in this tread http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056231396/1/#post71559735

One session a week a long run and a mix of steady runs

6 mile repeats next Wednesday first session!

6.5 miles this morning 8:14avg, nice and handy!

I think I'm going to start upping the mileage a bit I'm going to try and follow this the McMillan 10k plan as described in this tread http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056231396/1/#post71559735

One session a week a long run and a mix of steady runs

6 mile repeats next Wednesday first session!

Have you a 10 km in mind. It looks like a good plan.

There's one in doonbeg the first week in September hopefully do a couple of 5ks in the meanwhile. It'll take a couple more 5ks before I've the hang of them!

• Advertisement

There's one in doonbeg the first week in September hopefully do a couple of 5ks in the meanwhile. It'll take a couple more 5ks before I've the hang of them!

Well that's not too bad because I'm not sure I will ever get the hang of 5 ks !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

That's a cracking 5k run there Finnt, well done. :)

Decided not to start on the Macmillan plan until next week,
    Did a 27 min tempo run this morning
    1 mile w/u @ 8:53
    27min tempo @ 6:56avg 3.89miles
    .75miles c/d @ a crawl!
    There was a steep hill at 2.5 miles, when I was fading in the last half mile I was cursing the same hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

You're flying Finnt, that marathon training certainly did you no harm.

Beef wrote: »
    You're flying Finnt, that marathon training certainly did you no harm.

Cheers beef, ya it's really stood to me. I'd a tough couple of weeks when I can back from the injury but in great form now. Hopefully it'll stay with me for a while!

Thankfully I've been more consistent running than I have been loging them here!

Saturday
    9.29 miles avg 8:08min mile
    Took a hilly 6 mile route for this one added a detour on the way home to make up the extra, sped up for the last mile, done it in 7:39 min pace. Great boost to the confidence to hit a mile like that on the end of a longish run.

Monday
    6.36mile 8:09min/mile handy enough run was very warm tho!

Wednesday
    First session of the Macmillan plan
    6X1mile repeats:
    Splits
    1; 6:34
    2; 6:48
    3; 6:56
    4; 7:06
    5; 7:02
    6; 6:59
    Tough session, went out too hard and paid for it a bit also only took 3 mins recovery, great to get it done tho. Did I say it was a tough session!

It sure looks like a tough one! Was it a standing recovery? What length will you take the Lsr to on this plan?

A light jog between them, I always find it hard to get back up to speed after standing recovery, I'll probably go as far as 14/15 miles in the lsr. But not this weekend, croagh Patrick is to be climbed!!

A light jog between them, I always find it hard to get back up to speed after standing recovery, I'll probably go as far as 14/15 miles in the lsr. But not this weekend, croagh Patrick is to be climbed!!

Sounds good. Croagh Patrick is great, hope it's clear at the top for you! Bring a couple of extra , thin layers cause it's freezing up there! And plenty of sandwiches!!!!

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Sounds good. Croagh Patrick is great, hope it's clear at the top for you! Bring a couple of extra , thin layers cause it's freezing up there! And plenty of sandwiches!!!!

We'll have no time for sandwiches! The plan is the same every year, get to the top, get mass then home to the safety of Galway! ;-) my father does it every year on reek Sunday I've did it the last couple of times with him. Even had the dog up last year with me!

Advertisement