Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one man and his dog

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

5.1 miles @8:53 avg a recovery run, the humidity this morning was desperate, even at 9min/miles I was drowned in sweat. I dunno how people are running in the middle of the day in this!

10.3 miles @ 8:23min avg
    Didn't think I'd get this run done this weekend but got a chance this morning, smashing running weather
    Got a new pair of runners Thursday in AK, wore them this morning no blisters or soreness. I've always found them great in there.
    A bit of cross training tommorw will round off the week nicely!

10.9km this morning, had to change to kms to set up the watch for this session,
    1.62km W/u
    12x400m repeats @ 5k pace
    Paces: 6:11,6:19,6:02,6:16,6:08,6:17,6:11,6:23, 6:27,6:11,6:13,6:05,
    2.13km C/d
    Paces a bit all over the place,

10.25km @ 8:35avg
    Handy recovery run this morning, legs were like stone starting out, took a few miles to get into it. I think yesterday's session was harder on the legs than than mile repeats! Maybe it was due to climbing the reek Sunday.

Friday,
    8miles @ 7:45min mile, started handy enough finished with a 7:20min mile

Saturday
    6.05mile @8:08min/mile nice handy run first run in the rain for a while!!

Sunday
    Rest day!

Monday
    12 miles @ 8:18min/mile avg
    Longest run since the marathon training, took a while to get into it, I think I won't go much longer during this block

Tuesday
    Alarm didn't go off in the morning,
    So a rest day

Wednesday
    1 mile W/u
    2 miles @ 10k pace 6:35,6:38
    5 mins ez jogging
    1 mile @ 10k 6:31
    3 mins ez
    1 mile @ 10k 6:42
    3min ez
    1 mile @10k 6:54
    3 min ez
    1 mile @10k 6:39
    .75 mile c/d

Good session was tough going especially the 5th mile hardest one of them all

• Advertisement

6.4 miles recovery @ 8:55min avg
    This was a bit of a slog of a run, the legs were tired and the calves a bit tight. They settled down after a bit but I'll be on the foam roller this evening.

About 40 miles this week longest week In a while next week is half way in the plan, and it's supposed to be a tempo run of a 5k race, there's no 5k local so it'll have to be a tempo run. I don't think I'll be upping the mileage much more, the last thing I want is to risk getting injured again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Great session on Wednesday Finnt! Maybe others can chime in here - but is 6 and a half miles at 8:55 not a bit long and fast for a true recovery run? I think it was in the P&D book I read that on a recovery run your legs should feel like they are being rejuvinated rather than getting more tired. You may not be getting the full benefit of it if you go out for too long or too fast.

Cheers beef, you putting out some good stuff yourself. I checked mac millan last night it says between 8:30-9:10, to my mind 8:30 is a bit on the fast side hadn't decided on 8:55 just kinda fell into it,
    I was thinking alright about the length probably should have been a mile or two shorter. I didn't give it too much thought till I was 2 miles from home on mile 4!

Friday
    1mile w/u
    30 mins steady @ 7:04avg
    1mile ez

Sunday
    Did 6.4 miles @8:53 avg then a fella stopped me on the road to talk I forgot to restart the watch, think I did about 9-10miles,

Monday
    Rest

Tuesday
    7.01 miles @ 7:33 avg
    Got soaked in a shower half way thru this first time in ages to get rain on a run!

Wednesday
    3 mile tempo session
    1 mile w/u
    3 mile tempo splits
    6:31,6:36,6:36*
    2 mile c/d
    The last mile was actually .95 mile I made a mistake when I made the workout up on the garmin, I ended up guessing the length of the last mile!
    Not too far off, but I was really annoyed when I was short.

EDIT: I meant to say the last lap was at 6:36 pace not in time I think it was 6:17 or so

Haven't updated this in a while, not much really to log.
    The last full week I did I done 45 miles or so included in that was the 2X2mile 2X1mile session that went well averaged 6:25min/mile overall, was happy with that.
    Felt the calfs a bit tight the next day.
    They'd been knotty for the last week or so by Friday the were like steel rods, got an appointment for sat morning long story short I took a week off, done 2 easy runs this week probably be another week or two before I'm near right!

So another training plan nearly done, another injury! Not sure where to go from here, there's a race series starting in the new year, might just aim to be in good shape to give it a good crack in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

From 20st to 45:XX for 10K and down to sub 20 for 5k is some going. Also, some of your sessions suggest there's some untapped talent.

My advice would be not to rush back into workouts. Instead, build up the miles doing progression runs and once or twice a week do some strides, also, work on developing your long run - don't rush it.

After 4-6 weeks start introducing some Lactate Threshold work in the form of short recovery intervals and longer reps. E.g. 8x3 mins @LT off 35 sec rec or 2x10-12 mins at LT off 3 mins jog rec. After 12 weeks or so, you'll be pretty strong and ready to introduce some faster stuff.

But I wouldn't be too disheartened, you've come on really well and a little patience and consistency will see you come on a lot more...

Thanks Stazza, I'm my own worse enemy, when things are ticking away nicely I start thing about adding another session or upping the mileage. Or trying to run off niggles I should have seen the physio a week or 10 days before I did. Stupid I know but makes sense at the time!

Did a couple of light runs since last update, nothing too long/fast during then I began to feel a bit of knee pain, was back at the physio for an appointment for my calves, she says it's my it band it's probably caused by my calf strain so she says to take a fortnight off!
    She also massaged it, I'm pretty sure labour hasn't a patch on it!

I got a road bike from a friend at the beginning of the summer, I pulled it out yesterday pumped the wheels and went for a spin, I did about 10 miles or so, not sure I'm a fan! Felt every pebble on the road it's a little like what I'd imagine running in vibrams would be like. My legs were fecked after it.

So far this week I did a 3 mile run Wednesday and a 4 mile run Friday both fairly handy, still getting a bit of knee pain and calf pain not as bad, still not right. Have another appointment Wednesday with the Physiso hopefully we're coming to the end of this injury streak!

Well!, first run in over a week,
    4.35 miles @ 8:35min/mile
    Legs all good hopefully I'm on the road to recovery. I've no immediate plans to race so it's all about getting back to where I was. I'll take this and next week handy then start building the milage from there,
    If do 3-4 runs next week I'll probably hit 20 miles or so, how much can I add on a week as I up the mileage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Finnt wrote: »
    Well!, first run in over a week,
    4.35 miles @ 8:35min/mile
    Legs all good hopefully I'm on the road to recovery. I've no immediate plans to race so it's all about getting back to where I was. I'll take this and next week handy then start building the milage from there,
    If do 3-4 runs next week I'll probably hit 20 miles or so, how much can I add on a week as I up the mileage?

Hi Finnt, I think the general rule of thumb is 10% increase a week but I find I get away with a bit more than that.
    Best play it safe anyways! Good to see you back at it.

Thanks Ososlo! Was thinking that going to take it handy for the first while,
    5.5miles @ 8:07min/mile this morning,
    Nice and easy, all good with the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Good to see you back

6.23miles in 48:16 (7:44min pace)
    This was quicker than the last couple of runs, didn't really notice the difference wasn't paying much heed to the watch, we're being spoilt with this weather, another smashing morning for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

You can run quickly, please avoid injuries from now on.

Thank you

• Advertisement

6.3miles easy @ 8:36 avg, first morning in a while I'd to face into rain, they do say it builds character!

Monday 6th
    4.7 miles @8:18 min/mile avg

Wednesday 8th
    5.06miles @8:10 avg

Friday 10th
    6.01 @8:10avg

Sunday 12th
    7.21miles @8:10avg

Monday 13th
    4.73miles @ 8:36avg

About 23 miles last week. I'm going to gradually build the miles over the next month or so, it's all easy miles at the min might add in some speed work in a week or two if all keeps going well,

Wed 15th
    6.08 miles @8:21avg

Fri 17th
    6.56miles @8:24avg

Sunday 19th
    9,07 @8:17avg

Tues 21st
    4.8miles @8:18avg

26 or so miles last week all easy, I've been reading jack daniels book, I going to do another 3-4 weeks of easy base training, and more on from that. Starting next week I'll be adding strides to the end of the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Another one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Another one?

Must be something to do with Halloween!!!

Advertisement