Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So.... What bike next??

• 25-01-2014 12:04am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As you may have seen from the other thread, my Ducati 749 is gone, so I need to think about a new bike. Now I have no idea what the insurance company are going to offer me - and I dont have much to put to it to upgrade, but I need to start considering options.

There are a few 749's online right now:

http://www.adverts.ie/car/ducati/other-ducati/ducati-749/4498849
    http://www.adverts.ie/car/ducati/other-ducati/2005-ducati-for-sale/3454302
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/stunning-ducati749-for-sale/6192705

Now I might actually end up buying another 749 as I genuinely love my bike and in the past 3 years never wanted anything else. But, change is good and it might be nice to have something different.

Thing is, there are very few bikes that tempt me. I use it for commuting most of the time - mainly I want something that is fun on the wicklow backroads, however, I've done some touring and want to do a lot more.

Having a look online tonight there are only two that interest me as yet. I've always loved the CBR600RR - but I'm worried that going from a 750 twin down to a 600 four, will I be underwhelmed? I'd also consider a 1000rr fireblade, but then again I'm not sure I'm experienced enough for a liter bike!

What do you guys think, and what other bikes do you think I should consider?
    Cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Iv had a gsxr600 for 6 years. There top class for our roads.

I was up the wicklow gap on a borrowed fjr1300. I had to be very restrained

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Ducati 999? Seeing as you liked the 749 so much. Had a few shots of one back in 05 and it was a nice bike. Not mental power but a nice change up from what you had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Triumph Daytona 675 ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

After that time on the 749 you're more than ready for a litre bike.. There is no way I'd be dropping down to a CBR600RR if a CBR1000RR was a realistic prospect ~ no a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I went from a 50cc to a 400cc to a 1000cc so I'd say you are more than ready

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks lads. Yeah you're right...

Fùck it. I'm getting a Fireblade! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Zascar wrote: »

Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

You'll be making the right decision :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

^^^ Thats the worse thing about leave Ducati ~ no Honda will ever get the same head turning attention as your old 749 got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just throwing it in here but don't overlook a gsxr 750, if you get one with nice mods it is a cracker of a bike. Can do everything and in the right hands will give any litre bike a run for its money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't forget about the Austrians. Some tasty KTM's to have fun on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭illeagles_mcc

:cool:

you'll have to get the hang of those wheelies :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I'll be selling a 2010 gsxr750 soon. Absolute showroom condition.:)

sorry to hear about your bike:(

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

How about an Honda Sp1

1000cc v twin a mate of mine has one and reckons its one of the best bikes he has ever rode

Heres 2 on done deal http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-sp1/5721130

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-sp1/6285865

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

If your considering a Fireblade, have a look at R1's too, very sexy bike especially in black; much better looking than a 'blade IMO, although, apparently, not as refined as the Fireblade and perhaps lacks a little mid-range but when you open it up my god it can move!

Not too many ones like this at this side of the water tho, but very tasty non the less.:cool:

May be a bit over budget when you factor in Currency Conversion/VRT/Transport costs however.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

One thing I really hate about adverts.ie are the sheer space cadets who make offers. looking at some of the offers on those bikes had me thinking these people are either stupid or dealers.

If I was you Zascar, and was definitely getting a cbr i'd go the gunmetal grey one in the 3rd link, best looking of the lot. IMO

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not on for an R1 really, but the ZX10 I will Deffo consider. Would need to read up on it a bit more as I know very little about them. What are they like?

SP1's are lovely but a bit old, I'd prefer something newer really. I like ktm's, however one thing that I have to consider is that I'm a shortarse at 5'6. Many bikes like some ktm's and the R1 are just too big. This may sound silly but I'd prefer something less of an out and out racing superbike and more of an all rounder, as I'd like to do more European touring so comfort has to be a factor too.

The 07 Fireblade in HCR tricolour is do far my favourite, but I'd need to sell a kidney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

you know you can't lower yourself to jap scrap after having an italian bike. you should try find something like this. probably hard to get one in that colour and condition in ireland but at least it's different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

lol @ jap scrap :pac:

Sorry to hear about your bike Zascar. If it was me I'd definitely take this opportunity to move up to a bigger bike. That HRC blade is lovely, himself had an 07 HRC blade, it was lovely, real head turner and the bonus with the likes of a Honda is that you'll likely never have bother with parts etc.

Brain my mate has that exact bike, I rode it briefly and thought it was bananas, too big and too much for me prob.

Looking today I'm liking the Blade more and more. I love the HRC colours, and I prefer the slightly newer 2006/2007 model, but they seem to be a lot more expensive. I'm going to look at that one for 7.5k and see if I can come up with the money. I'd love to be able to as that bike is pretty much perfect. Not sure if I can find a slightly older and cheaper one though.

I'll still be considering some other options..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

IMHO, the blades are lovely and a savage bike but they are everywhere. If it was me I would get something a little bit different, like the bike you had very nice and not too many knocking around. Plenty of top of the range bikes out there take but take your time and get something that makes you smile everytime you think of it and makes you 15 again every time you ride it.

Might be worth going to the UK for a mint bike and better spec or even up north.

Yeah I know what you mean Wonda, and I do often like going a bit leftfield, but there is also a lot to say for going with the old reliable - the one that is universally loved as it is unquestionably brilliant. It's hard to argue with some of the reviews Plus, I know it may not be a Ducati but I think this is absolutely stunning

HRC-cbr1000rr.JPG

I'm going to go look at this one, its actually up in bikeworld, its perfect and a minter, but 7.5k is a lot more than I want to spend. I will start looking in UK and maybe I can get a 2006 with slightly higher milage for less money. VRT is under €300 and factoring in some transport costs, maybe I can get something good within budget that way

Yeah I know what you mean Wonda, and I do often like going a bit leftfield, but there is also a lot to say for going with the old reliable - the one that is universally loved as it is unquestionably brilliant. It's hard to argue with some of the reviews Plus, I know it may not be a Ducati but I think this is absolutely stunning

HRC-cbr1000rr.JPG

I'm going to go look at this one, its actually up in bikeworld, its perfect and a minter, but 7.5k is a lot more than I want to spend. I will start looking in UK and maybe I can get a 2006 with slightly higher milage for less money. VRT is under €300 and factoring in some transport costs, maybe I can get something good within budget that way

That is a cracker but not worth the money TBH....

I'm thinking its probably worth 6k. 6.5k max.

Actually I'm thinking of just saving myself some money and getting something like this. Still a savage bike and I won't have to melt the credit card

Not going for a sports tourer mate.....you could get an absolute mint 05 Blackbird for silly money that has buckets of pace, handling and storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Actually I'm thinking of just saving myself some money and getting something like this. Still a savage bike and I won't have to melt the credit card

oh god no - don't - take the bus for a while ad save a bit more, then buy.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the generation of high-centre-piped Honda's awful to look at - especially when the pipe is non-std. It has to be one of the the shortes-lived fads ever.

I'm with Wonda-Boy - which is why I put the 675 forward. Top notch bike, highly usuable, not so common. Besides, I still think a really good middleweight is a better all-rounder.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement