Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fashion/styling consultating trainning course

• 25-01-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering can anyone give me suggestions of course available in Ireland to become a fashion/stylist consultant ??

I have looked up a few on the internet but don't know which one to pick:(

Kind Regards,

Debs

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Moved to Fashion & Appearance. You should hopefully get more pertinent responses here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

You'd be better off trying to get work experience with a stylist or personal shopper. Most stylists work freelance and generally have assistants on shoots. This work is more often than not unpaid, but it's good to get a portfolio together. You need to be really up to date with fashion and knowledgable about the history too, while you're looking for experience or a course keep studying on your own. Contact some stylists and see if you can work with them, even just for a day. All experience counts.

What courses were you looking at? There are some good fashion courses but they're more geared towards buying, management and PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Debs87

Hi Twee,

Thanks for your response. I am just looking to do a course to become a assistant shopper and offer consultations to people, so im just looking for a course that would provide me the tools for this ! Would you have any knowledge of this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Check out this course http://scfe.info/wp/?page_id=109 But once you do the course you won't walk into a job. It is an extremely tough industry and you will need to do work experience with stylists or personal shoppers. A course will obviously be great for the background but you should get in contact with as many people as possible to get experience and a portfolio together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

I would echo the above. Like anything in fashion (as is with a lot of jobs now I suppose), networking is key. Experience is a talking point, it'll get you more experience. It's all well and good have the paper that qualifies you in 'consultancy', but if you don't have a work portfolio backing up, you will find it quite difficult to make a go at it.

From the word go, I would advise making contact with big department stores - arnotts, HoF, etc. and ask could you help out with the personal shopping service (or shadow the personal shoppers). Likewise, I would also advise making contact with fashion journalists/stylists who organise shoots for publication (in the likes of ViP, Tatler, weekender/Life magazines in the Irish Independent, etc.) and offer to help out behind the scenes. You could state that you do not require remuneration for such work if you like........ These experiences will also give you an idea as to whether this profession would suit you. Then by all means pursue a course to compliment your work.

Best of Luck OP

• Advertisement
Advertisement