Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vomiting dog

• 25-01-2014 2:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Rani vomited after her walk today, at about 6pm, she ate at 7 and was sick again at 11:30pm. She was shivering a little between vomiting, but not since. She was eager for her walk and is very interested in food, she's drinking well. I've had her on the sofa on the sofa to keep her warm, and am fasting her until the morning. She does seem a little off-colour

We're planning to bring her to the vet in the morning, but I suppose I'm afraid I'm being over cautious. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know it's hard not to worry but it sounds like you're doing things right. It's probably just a little tummy bug but it's good that you're going to the vet just in case. Just make sure there's plenty of access to water and she's warm and comfy, maybe a hot water bottle? Hope everything goes okay at the vets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

kylith wrote: »
    She was eager for her walk and is very interested in food, she's drinking well.

All great signs.Only you know your dog but if it was me (and you know this is ONLY online advice) I wouldn't be rushing to the vet in the morning unless something drastically changes in between.

Every vet has an emergency number so have it ready just in case.They often have "on call" emergency practices in different areas of the same county or neighbouring counties so if you're worried maybe take note of that now eg. Moss Vet, Naas redirects to Grey Abbey, Nurney. They often interchange and take turns so for peace of mind maybe ring your local vet and see what the out of hours message says ;)

My cat vomited twice yesterday (hairball.. finally). :o He was acting no different behaviourally wise so I wasn't at all concerned.I have no idea how much water he drank today, but he's fine. Kylith you know yourself if/when the time is right to go to the vet.
    wrote:
    I've had her on the sofa on the sofa to keep her warm, and am fasting her until the morning. She does seem a little off-colour

If she hasn't perked up by Monday then I'd be bringing her to your vet.A plain simple diet tomorrow or fasting with plenty of water available. Again, these are only my rules but if there is an increase in vomiting, diarrohea and lethargy after 24-48hrs then I'd be at the vet regardless.

Edit: You're based in Dublin 8 so you may be sent to the Pet Emergency Hospital which is based in UCD after hours. 01 2609920

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My springer has had a couple of episodes like that recently although he does refuse food when he's in the midst.
    He seems to sleep it off and be fine the following morning. I have had him checked over but the vet couldn't find anything wrong. He looks very sad and ill during these episodes :(

Hope your guy is better this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Presumably since he was sick after his walk, he ate something revolting while he was out. If he threw it up, hopefully that was most of it gone, he may have some interesting poo's today? One of my dogs treats his walks like buffets - he ALWAYS manages to find something to munch :eek: He seems to have a cast-iron stomach though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

She probably did eat something on the walk. Anyway she started running laps of the living room at about 2:30am and was very vocal about wanting her dinner, so I didn't bring her to the vet in the end. I starved them both (can't fast one dog and not the other) until 11am today and she's full of beans today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement