Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly stupid question... Safe-ish extreme sports

Options
  • 25-01-2014 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm afraid this is gonna come across as a retarded question but bear with me.

Are there any decent safe-ish extreme sports these days?

Basically I was always into skating and dirt bikes when I was younger, now I'm 27 and lacking a bit of a buzz. I've always wanted a streetbike and was just about to buy a 600 but I'm hoping to start a sweet new job soon, and with the job thats involved, I really cant risk injury or else it'd all go down the swanny. And considering the sh*t drivers on irish roads, a bike is probably not the best move right now.

So are there any sports with a bit of a rush but that I won't break any bones and put myself out of a paycheck for a few months. All I could really think of a is a few watersports.

any suggestions?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

BigDog101 wrote: »
    I'm afraid this is gonna come across as a retarded question but bear with me.

Are there any decent safe-ish extreme sports these days?

Basically I was always into skating and dirt bikes when I was younger, now I'm 27 and lacking a bit of a buzz. I've always wanted a streetbike and was just about to buy a 600 but I'm hoping to start a sweet new job soon, and with the job thats involved, I really cant risk injury or else it'd all go down the swanny. And considering the sh*t drivers on irish roads, a bike is probably not the best move right now.

So are there any sports with a bit of a rush but that I won't break any bones and put myself out of a paycheck for a few months. All I could really think of a is a few watersports.

any suggestions?
    Cheers
    A lot of "extreme sports" are only as dangerous as one makes them. They generally tend to be quite safe for beginners but only as one progresses and increases the difficulty and hence the risk in order to get that "rush" does the danger element come in to it. If you can find somewhere offering wakeskating or wakesurfing this might tick your box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Try wakeboarding, if you are coming from a skater background you'll take to it like a duck to water. (no pun intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

You're right about watersports being one of the few options, surfing, kite boarding etc. Ironically another safeish extreme sport is skydiving. Modern skydiving is well regulated with very modern equipment. Generally accidents tend to happen to experienced skydivers pushing the limits.

But in reality there is no safe extreme sport. That is the point after all. Even non extreme sports aren't safe. I've lost count of how many footballing friends either limp into work after an injury or not turn up at all for a week or two.

If you can't risk an injury then perhaps you should restrict your thrill seeking to Funderland. Scares the hell out of me!

I'm afraid you've reached the stage most of us get to eventually. Still looking for the thrill but with practical considerations making it less attractive. A sad day indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A "Safe Extreme sport" is called "Sport" :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Kite surfing is one of the more dangerous extreme sports. In the last three years I ireland alone there has being a death and 2 people serverly injured and still in the rehabilitation hospital. Each accident was unrelated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ted1 wrote: »
    Kite surfing is one of the more dangerous extreme sports. In the last three years I ireland alone there has being a death and 2 people serverly injured and still in the rehabilitation hospital. Each accident was unrelated

Yeah can you please provide linkies to back this up and not just post wild statements like this?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Yeah can you please provide linkies to back this up and not just post wild statements like this?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam
    Kerry no wild statements there. And I take offence to the fact that you implied there was. They are serious incidents and should no belittled.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/kite-surfer-killed-in-rocks-horror-26662270.html

http://www.mycharity.ie/charity/dominic_morrogh_trust/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/winds-sweep-kite-surfer-400m-inland-161406.html

Ther has being other serious injuries in Ireland. Unfortunately since kitesurfing.ie has being shut down we have lost the archives.

I've been kitesurfing for over 12 years and have seen all sorts if accidents. As a sport it's very undeveloped with regards safety. The speed of acceleration and decelarration is hard to comprehend.

Worldwide the number of fatal incidents in relation to the number of participants is quite high.

Kerry no wild statements there. And I take offence to the fact that you implied there was. They are serious incidents and should no belittled.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/kite-surfer-killed-in-rocks-horror-26662270.html

http://www.mycharity.ie/charity/dominic_morrogh_trust/

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/winds-sweep-kite-surfer-400m-inland-161406.html

Ther has being other serious injuries in Ireland. Unfortunately since kitesurfing.ie has being shut down we have lost the archives.

I've been kitesurfing for over 12 years and have seen all sorts if accidents. As a sport it's very undeveloped with regards safety. The speed of acceleration and decelarration is hard to comprehend.

Worldwide the number of fatal incidents in relation to the number of participants is quite high.

This forum is being viewed by all levels of sporting enthusiasts. While you may be experienced, others are not. If you provide a wild statement about fatalities, then you should, out of courtesy to say the least, provide evidence and allow people the opportunity to read up on that and allow people to become more knowledgeable and aware of any and all possibilities.

Thank you for providing what I asked of you,
    kerry4sam

This forum is being viewed by all levels of sporting enthusiasts. While you may be experienced, others are not. If you provide a wild statement about fatalities, then you should, out of courtesy to say the least, provide evidence and allow people the opportunity to read up on that and allow people to become more knowledgeable and aware of any and all possibilities.

Thank you for providing what I asked of you,
    kerry4sam

Once again I take offence to the use of " wild statements"

Feel free to pm me & STOP de-railing this thread.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

/Back on Topic!

• Advertisement

Feel free to pm me & STOP de-railing this thread.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

/Back on Topic!

<mod snip>

Back on topic. O.P rock climbing is one sport that I'd recommend. Its safe, fun, gets the heart pumping. In dublin you have Awesome Walls, gravity, UVD and trinity all offering indoor walls for both ropes and bouldering.
    Then once your really addicted you got Dalkey quarry and other places

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigDog101

<mod snip>

Back on topic. O.P rock climbing is one sport that I'd recommend. Its safe, fun, gets the heart pumping. In dublin you have Awesome Walls, gravity, UVD and trinity all offering indoor walls for both ropes and bouldering.
    Then once your really addicted you got Dalkey quarry and other places

Thank you for the suggestion Ted1. I will certainly look into that, I already enjoy the odd hike and have thought about it a lot before. So far I've also decided to get back into mountain biking as well, I figure its only as dangerous as the trail you choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

<snip>

OP You could look into Freeding, surfing, board boarding but all are best done on the west coast. Also sailing has good buzz espically racing.

Advertisement