Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck earring.

Options
  • 25-01-2014 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Hey I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions for removing an earring that's stuck? It's in my conch so really hard to get a grip on, and it has a push on back (not a butterfly type). I went into a piercing shop and yer man went at it with pliers but couldn't get it out and it was too sore to do any more. It's starting to get infected so I want to take it out and clean it and put in a new stud. It seems to me like I would need a wire cutters or something to actually break it to get it off but I'm afraid of cutting my ear! So any suggestions would be great :) thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If it is infected, don't take it out or agitate it by touching it and trying to take it out. Taking a piercing out while infected can cause it to close up, sealing in the infection. Leave it alone for a while and do some sea salt soaks until the infection clears and until the piercing heals, then look at removing it.

Are you sure it's actually infected? And what type of jewelry is in it? I'd probably go to another piercer to get a second opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I dont think it's properly infected, it's leaking a bit and sore to touch but it's not very red, hot or swollen. I've been cleaning it twice a day with salt water for about 2 weeks but it's not clearing. It's just a cheap stud earring that I have in it, I used to have labret jewelry in it but I needed something I could take out easily before surgery so I just went with the cheap stud. So in reality it's probably the cheap jewelry that's irritating it!

Eta I've had this piercing for about 7 years, this jewelry has been stuck for about 2 years but never bothered me until recently

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Try soaking it before going at it with a pillars to loosen it a bit but as mentioned, do wait till the infection clears up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just an update, FINALLY after years of trying I got it out. Don't try this at home but I disinfected a nail clippers and broke it, nothing else would work. It wasn't infected but the earring was manky, all green. That's what you get for cheap jewellery! And there was apparently a blood blister behind it so I am currently holding pressure too stop it bleeding before disinfecting and putting in good jewellery!

Advertisement