Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maryborough Hill Road Works

Options
  • 25-01-2014 3:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

I see they are digging up Maryborough Hill again. It looks like they are widening the road from the entrance to Maryborough Woods to the entrance to ROG house... But its an awful lot of work for such a small stretch of road.

They are also digging up on the opposite side of the road with temporary traffic lights set up.

The hill was resurfaced about two years ago after years of pot holes and lunar craters. Now it looks like they are filling in the holes dug with tar and gravel and the hill will return to its axel cracking form...

Very infuriating... Anyone know what they are actually doing on Maryborough Hill ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

They are widening the road, poor ROG will come home at the end of the season and will find his back garden a lot brighter.

I suppose the reason they are taking it slow is probably because they have to preserve the stone wall within the site perimeter.
    I know the digging up of a 2 year old surface is annoying but they will resurface that whole section when the widening is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

There has been no work completed on the hill since before Xmas and the footpaths and road have been left in a disgraceful condition.
    I asked local canvassing councillors if they knew the story but no one seems to know why work seems to have stopped and leaving the hill in a dreadful condition...

The work resurfacing the road two years ago seems to be all for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

The_Banker wrote: »
    Very infuriating... Anyone know what they are actually doing on Maryborough Hill ??

AFAIK, that's part of the new Green Route to Carrigaline ?

I think they're gonna be digging up a huge section of it for months to come.

Phase 1 was in 2012
    Carrigaline Green Route - Phase 1 €220,000

Phase 2 has commenced unless I'm mistaken
    Carrigaline Green Route - Phase 2- €550,000

I suspect some of this might be dug up again once the Ringaskiddy Motorway goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭SandStone

The_Banker wrote: »
    There has been no work completed on the hill since before Xmas and the footpaths and road have been left in a disgraceful condition.

They've certainly been working on it during the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

Anyone know what the story is with the junction of Maryborough Hill and Moneygurney Road ?

It looks like they were planning on moving the junction more to the west and have what looks like a new road built on the other side of the ditch. Looks like there is also a roundabout inside the ditch which isn't being used.

Been like this for a number of years now.

I presume they will be opening this roundabout for usage eventually. Will there be a new road built from it to the old carrigaline road ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Drove up there recently and was shocked to see the new layout with the roudiebout and all that lets say if you are driving up the hill from Garryduff. Looks nice but seems a bit mad to have a roundie there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Anyone know what the story is with the junction of Maryborough Hill and Moneygurney Road ?

It looks like they were planning on moving the junction more to the west and have what looks like a new road built on the other side of the ditch. Looks like there is also a roundabout inside the ditch which isn't being used.

I presume they will be opening this roundabout for usage eventually. Will there be a new road built from it to the old carrigaline road ?

That roundabout is indeed there, pity it was not part of the improved works. It was put there by the builders of Maryborough Ridge, part of their planning condition I assume.
    Eitherway the road on the inside of Maryborough Ridge which also joins that roundabout will eventually be joining up with the N28 so perhaps it is a long term plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

its like the slip road into mount oval from the link, except it was supposed to be another exit for maryborough ridge onto that interchange/flyover on the carrigaline road, the road from maryborough ridge to the carrigaline road is still a grass field though and there is no movement to change that

so at best it will be a roundabout at the moneygurney side as opposed to the dangerous junction there now where cars are on the main road before they can see left or right.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jimmy Bottles

hoodwinked wrote: »
    its like the slip road into mount oval from the link, except it was supposed to be another exit for maryborough ridge onto that interchange/flyover on the carrigaline road, the road from maryborough ridge to the carrigaline road is still a grass field though and there is no movement to change that

so at best it will be a roundabout at the moneygurney side as opposed to the dangerous junction there now where cars are on the main road before they can see left or right.

So you could only exit off the old Carrigaline Road and you wouldn't be able to go the other way ?

Anyone know why they will start using this roundabout ?

So you could only exit off the old Carrigaline Road and you wouldn't be able to go the other way ?

Anyone know why they will start using this roundabout ?

no, you could still exit onto the maryborough hill but would have an additional exit carrigaline road (heading to carrigaline only)

they were supposed to connect manor avenue to the carrigaline road here:

and that was going to lead to the roundabout as seen here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I believe they are doing something like indicated in the map below.

2laalar.png

Carrs Hill interchange will be replaced by a 3/4 dumbbell. There will be a link road between one of the roundabouts and the new roundabout at the top of Maryborough Hill.

Would make much more sense than just one slip road from the N28. That upgraded dumbbell is part of the N28 dualling scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

That map had me confused for ages there until I realised that Mount Oval on it is not Mount Oval at all but in fact Broadale...all made sense then.

Ludo wrote: »
    That map had me confused for ages there until I realised that Mount Oval on it is not Mount Oval at all but in fact Broadale...all made sense then.

it also doesnt show that obrien, oflynn planted a housing estate where that link road is meant to be.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I think it was part of the planning of the estate that the developers build the roundabout and link road - it's built already and waiting to be connecting the Moneygourney road (as you can see in the Google maps satellite image). Cork county council were supposed to connect the roundabout when they recently did work on Moneygourney and Clarke's hill but it didn't get done because of some issues dealing with NAMA

http://www.deirdreforde.ie/posts/council-business/moneygourneymaryborough-hill-roundabout/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

moyners wrote: »
    I think it was part of the planning of the estate that the developers build the roundabout and link road - it's built already and waiting to be connecting the Moneygourney road (as you can see in the Google maps satellite image). Cork county council were supposed to connect the roundabout when they recently did work on Moneygourney and Clarke's hill but it didn't get done because of some issues dealing with NAMA

http://www.deirdreforde.ie/posts/council-business/moneygourneymaryborough-hill-roundabout/

I would imagine that once the roundabout is linked in with Maryborough Hill and the Mongurney Road, then the slip out onto the N28 will be connected as per hoodwinked earlier post.

In addition, I'd imagine that the sliproad will not join up with the Old Carrigaline Road until the Carr's Hill junction is updated which will at least be 3 or 4 years (N28 dualling got bumped up the list recently though).

IMO, linking up Maryborough Hill and the Old Carriagline Road would help ease traffic at the Fingerpost, especially if the new bridge over the Ballybrack Stream is completed. It would enable traffic from Mount Oval etc to access Grange and areas close by without having to go through the Fingerpost. It would also grant access to the N28 without having to go through the Fingerpost.

Advertisement