Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANOTHER Tesco in the city centre?!!!

Options
  • 25-01-2014 6:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Do we really need another Tesco in the southside city centre? There is already quite a large one in Temple Bar about 100 metres away from this new one on Dame street. Do Dublin City council really care? Dublin is a great city and it saddens me to see the city centre begin to fill up even more with Tescos and Mcdonalds and any other multinational chain who has the money to fill it. What about local businesses? What about homegrown ventures. What are your opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

As long as it creates jobs I don't really give a fiddlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

January wrote: »
    As long as it creates jobs I don't really give a fiddlers.

It doesn't, Tesco opening actually causes more jobs locally to be lost than they create.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Bandara wrote: »
    It doesn't, Tesco opening actually causes more jobs locally to be lost than they create.

Really, have you got the stats to prove that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The one in Templebar is fairly small in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Where exactly is the new one opening....?

(Currently living abroad, so not in tune with these things!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Konata wrote: »
    Where exactly is the new one opening....?

(Currently living abroad, so not in tune with these things!)

i think the OP means the tiny new one on Dame street by abercrombie.

Getting real tired of the "not another franchise" threads claiming they take everyones jobs. If the demand is there it only makes good business to open. Free market and all that.
    The temple bar one is small too. Besides i never do my shopping in small local corner shops, it would be so expensive and they wouldn't have a good variety

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Didn't this Tesco replace a Londis? It's not like we lost a homegrown grand dame of Dame Street there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Plus the front of the Dame Street one isn't done in typical Tesco style, it matches it's surroundings. To be honest, I think recognise it as Tesco at first!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Another new one going in around Lower Dorset St too at the NCR junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

What the south city centre needs most is an Aldi or Lidl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Could do with a Tesco in the Smithfield area. Decent population but all there is around is two Centras in Stoneybatter and Fresh and another Centra and Spar close by. Nearest Tesco is Prussia St. or Jervis St. Superquinn is HSQ and Dunnes is Henry St. I think a Tesco or Dunnes would do really well especially against Fresh prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Yea, I don't understand why they haven't gone in there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It's damm near impossible for a local, home grown business to open up in town any more. The rates and rents are so high, the only businesses that can afford them are the multinationals with very deep pockets. And some of them are pulling out as the cost of doing business there is too high. Just look at all the businesses that have deserted the Grafton St in recent years, many of them foreign owed like HMV or Waterstones. I'd rather the building in the city centre have tenants (even if they are the likes of Tesco) than for them to sit empty and boarded up, making the surrounding area look like crap & acting like a magnet for junkies and anti social behaviour.

Exactly. If a homegrown, independent supermarket were to open up on Dame Street, prices there would be exorbitant. Tesco, Spar, and the likes manage it by having economies of scale.

I don't get the multinational-hate in general. People don't want McDonald's setting up shop in the city centre because the restaurants are garish and gaudy, but they're OK with drive-thrus in a sea of parking eating up the suburbs? The new McDonald's in Temple Bar looks fantastic, and contributes to the high-quality built environment., unlike its suburban sisters. Same goes for the new Tesco, compared to what was there before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I think a lot of people just don't like the same soulless, monotonous town/city centres that blight many parts of the UK and USA. Exact same shops, exact same layouts, exact same products everywhere. Some variety please :)

I don't think Dublin could be described as "soulless" or "monotonous". It is unique among Irish cities and towns, and certainly distinctive from other large European and American cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

As others have said, Dublin is packed full of independent stores. Pubs, restaurants, cafes shops etc. Sure there are chain stores, but compared to any UK city other than London you will find much more independent businesses of all types in Dublin than you will in the rest of Ireland or the UK.

Similar argument was had about starbucks taking over the city. yes, there are a lot of chain coffee stores, but there are many more independents dotted across the whole city and it is great to see.

The UK is saturated with chain pubs, in Dublin there aren't ANY! ( granted I know Wetherspoons are coming but 3 or 4 of these dotted about the city over the next few years isn't going to make an impact)

Dublin has a fantastic mix of independent businesses and it is a rare thing these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

This is the first I have heard of Tesco on Dame St, I pass the area a couple of times a week and have never noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,734 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It is beside the southbound bus stop for the 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

Its an awful Tesco

Really poor layout to it and it has little in the way of meals to go (hot counter etc...) that would be staple for people travelling through the city centre in need of a quick bite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

Its an awful Tesco

Really poor layout to it and it has little in the way of meals to go (hot counter etc...) that would be staple for people travelling through the city centre in need of a quick bite.

There are an awful lot of people actually living in the city centre now, much more than in the past. Perhaps they're targeting residents rather than suburbanites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its a tesco express or a tesco metro meaning its about the size of a spar. Its literally one or two staff members and a security guard. I would take another convenience store over a vacant unit any day. I dont understand why Dunnes doesnt have small stores like tesco express. There is such a huge volume of people that area of Dublin 2 there can be dozens of stores without saturation.

Im not made about Tesco. But they are one of the largest buyers of Irish food and export huge amounts of it to the UK. But Starbucks on the other hand is everywhere in town and contributes hardly anything to the Irish economy. Its pays its staff less than in the US(and the US employees get health insurance) and its known to very thrifty with its taxes in the UK, so you can pretty much assume the same in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 37 PriceWatch

Could do with a Tesco in the Smithfield area. Decent population but all there is around is two Centras in Stoneybatter and Fresh and another Centra and Spar close by. Nearest Tesco is Prussia St. or Jervis St. Superquinn is HSQ and Dunnes is Henry St. I think a Tesco or Dunnes would do really well especially against Fresh prices.
    It's coming...Planning application up in an empty unit beside Fresh. Much as I hate Tesco, I'm delighted to see something open beside Fresh as they really are making the most of their monopoly in Smithfield.

PriceWatch wrote: »
    It's coming...Planning application up in an empty unit beside Fresh. Much as I hate Tesco, I'm delighted to see something open beside Fresh as they really are making the most of their monopoly in Smithfield.

is there? which unit? Down beside Paddy Power? That is great news, even one of those Tesco Express would bring some competition, Fresh prices are the dearest of any supermarket I know of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

hfallada wrote: »
    Im not made about Tesco. But they are one of the largest buyers of Irish food and export huge amounts of it to the UK.
    I never understood this argument. Surely this is largely to do with the fact that they're just a large company? If half of tesco customers tomorrow decided to shop in aldi forever after, yes tesco would have to cut their orders for Irish produce, but aldi would increase theirs, no? What I'd really like to see numbers on are the proportions of irish produce versus foreign, rather than the simple gross. Maybe they'd still come out on top, I don't know, but it'd be a more meaningful metric.

Anyway, slight tangent there, I'm happy to see the unit filled, it's a little bit cramped inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

Im not mad on this "lets fill the unit asap" thing. I would prefer to see the city centre as somewhere thats fresh and exciting and uniquely Dublin. I really don't want to see the city centre become just like any other international high street or shopping centre. I not sure on how to do this, I just think that sticking another supermarket chain in isnt gonna add to my experience of Dame street.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

AlexDublin wrote: »
    Im not mad on this "lets fill the unit asap" thing. I would prefer to see the city centre as somewhere thats fresh and exciting and uniquely Dublin. I really don't want to see the city centre become just like any other international high street or shopping centre. I not sure on how to do this, I just think that sticking another supermarket chain in isnt gonna add to my experience of Dame street.

You aren't sure on how to do this because you can't. The idea of the free market/capitalism etc. is driven on this whole idea. Unless you begin restricting certain buildings to certain types of shops (which wouldn't work due to rent costs etc.) this won't happen.

Also look around the whole Georges Street/South William/Exchequer Street area, right in the heart of the city but all independent shops/bars/restaurants, locally owned. Hardly multi-national there.

Also as an aside, as someone who lives in a city centre, we need supermarkets too! I have lots of small butchers/greengrocers etc. but sometimes when you just want a frozen pizza or some ham and cheese, Tesco Metro is great!

By the sounds of it, a lot of people seem to only be sticking to the main drags. No wonder they fear "blandification". Venture even a little bit further afield, as suggested above, and people should find the apparently elusive "uniquely Dublin". The supposed problem of the international high street really is confined to only a handful of streets out of hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

PriceWatch wrote: »

That planning application has been up for ages. It's stuck in an impasse over whether or not they can get a licence to sell alcohol. This has been refused so far due to the number of drunks already congregating in the area.

Although Fresh is much too expensive to do the everyday shop in, it does carry a number of items that I can't find in other supermarkets. If Tesco was to go in and drive it out of business (as I believe it would), that variety would be lost. You can be pretty sure a smallish Tesco will have only the bog standard selection of items that its "local" shops everywhere have.

• Advertisement

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    That planning application has been up for ages. It's stuck in an impasse over whether or not they can get a licence to sell alcohol. This has been refused so far due to the number of drunks already congregating in the area.

Although Fresh is much too expensive to do the everyday shop in, it does carry a number of items that I can't find in other supermarkets. If Tesco was to go in and drive it out of business (as I believe it would), that variety would be lost. You can be pretty sure a smallish Tesco will have only the bog standard selection of items that its "local" shops everywhere have.

What is in Fresh that can't be got elsewhere, just out curiosity?

Fresh sells beer, Tesco should be allowed. You kind of get used to drunks around, never see them disturb anyway but that is sad too, surely there is something that could be done? What is the attraction of Smithfield to them?

Advertisement