Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ANOTHER Tesco in the city centre?!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

You aren't sure on how to do this because you can't. The idea of the free market/capitalism etc. is driven on this whole idea. Unless you begin restricting certain buildings to certain types of shops (which wouldn't work due to rent costs etc.) this won't happen.

Also look around the whole Georges Street/South William/Exchequer Street area, right in the heart of the city but all independent shops/bars/restaurants, locally owned. Hardly multi-national there.

Also as an aside, as someone who lives in a city centre, we need supermarkets too! I have lots of small butchers/greengrocers etc. but sometimes when you just want a frozen pizza or some ham and cheese, Tesco Metro is great!

I disagree that that it is impossible to stop the blandification of the city centre. I think its entirely possible. You raise an interesting points as to whether the free market/ capitalism works in relation to our city and its workings. Perhaps zoning buildings or streets; like you mentioned; is a way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm not sure zoning would be allowed prohibit multinationals or chains. It can be used to direct what use the building can be put to and, if it's commercial, what types of businesses can use it, eg cafe / convenience shop / supermarket / clothes shop.

Commercial landlords prefer renting to chains because they can be guaranteed continuity of rent even if the tenant decides to close a single shop. This is why you see empty units in otherwise very desirable locations - the chain has closed that shop but still has to complete the lease with the landlord. With smaller businesses, they can't get this and see a bigger risk. If you want to encourage smaller businesses, you need a different type of owner. Temple Bar is an example of this, though it's success is subjective. Some cities buy and lease units in strategic locations so they can encourage specific types of businesses or mandate specific conditions (like staying open late).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

AlexDublin wrote: »
    I disagree that that it is impossible to stop the blandification of the city centre. I think its entirely possible. [...]Perhaps zoning buildings or streets; like you mentioned; is a way forward.
    How do you think it is possible? (My emphasis above.)

You mention "zoning", but are short on specifics. The planning system (which zoning is part of) does not get involved in competition, or viability of specific businesses.

So you'd have to find a non-planning way of achieving your goal. State-subsidised rent? Some sort of licencing system? I'm running out of ideas fast, and not sure it's worth it. As I said above, your worry only relates to a few streets in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Are some people stuck with interesting things to post about.

How is something like this even worthy of discussion :-\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Are some people stuck with interesting things to post about.

How is something like this even worthy of discussion :-\

If you don't like the discussion, don't take part

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

markpb wrote: »
    I'm not sure zoning would be allowed prohibit multinationals or chains. It can be used to direct what use the building can be put to and, if it's commercial, what types of businesses can use it, eg cafe / convenience shop / supermarket / clothes shop.

The EU would grill Ireland for this. Member states are not supposed to favour their indigenous companies over multinationals. A most problem with irish Retailers is their lack of uniqueness. Most Irish retailers are carbon copies of a store found elsewhere in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭NoCrackHaving

hfallada wrote: »
    The EU would grill Ireland for this. Member states are not supposed to favour their indigenous companies over multinationals. A most problem with irish Retailers is their lack of uniqueness. Most Irish retailers are carbon copies of a store found elsewhere in the world.

Like everywhere really, I've lived in 4 major cities outside Ireland and shops are similar because that's what people want. Like I said, want to buy a frozen pizza? It's the same type of shop that will sell it whether you're in Dublin, Chicago, Munich or Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭AlexDublin

Aard wrote: »
    How do you think it is possible? (My emphasis above.)

You mention "zoning", but are short on specifics. The planning system (which zoning is part of) does not get involved in competition, or viability of specific businesses.

So you'd have to find a non-planning way of achieving your goal. State-subsidised rent? Some sort of licencing system? I'm running out of ideas fast, and not sure it's worth it. As I said above, your worry only relates to a few streets in the city centre.

I don't claim to know how to create a great city but I am very interested in the topic. And I believe it is very important. It is interesting reading the various opinions on here.

This is very interesting markpb "If you want to encourage smaller businesses, you need a different type of owner. Temple Bar is an example of this, though it's success is subjective. Some cities buy and lease units in strategic locations so they can encourage specific types of businesses or mandate specific conditions".

Which streets are the problem though? Name a few, because there really aren't that many.

Would you make it so that Tesco and other international retailers could only set up in non-Main Street or non-City Centre locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

January wrote: »
    Really, have you got the stats to prove that?

Its commonly known that opening any large out-of-town retail centre casues job losses in the area, often equal to or exceeding the jobs "created" by the new centre. Definitely not a UK-only phenomenon.

Same applies to a lesser extent to them opening new town/city centre supermarkets like this one, but that's normal competition rather than the serious distortion of competiton that out of town ones are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    This is the first I have heard of Tesco on Dame St, I pass the area a couple of times a week and have never noticed it.

It's been open a few months. It's more College Green than Dame Street technically...next door to The Bank bar, where Londis used to be. It's not a big supermarket, it's just a convenience store really.

They're currently renovating the old National Irish Bank near it too, and opening H&M there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭cat_dog

I'd rather another Tesco than an Aldi or Lidl. Sick of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

MYOB wrote: »
    Its commonly known that opening any large out-of-town retail centre casues job losses in the area, often equal to or exceeding the jobs "created" by the new centre. Definitely not a UK-only phenomenon.

Same applies to a lesser extent to them opening new town/city centre supermarkets like this one, but that's normal competition rather than the serious distortion of competiton that out of town ones are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wal-Mart_Effect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

tricky D wrote: »

Don't know if you can compare it to the Irish economy. Besides these studies are one sided and don't go far enough.
    Walmart opens, local stores may close. Walmart may hire the same amount of employees(sometimes more as they're usually massive). But what about the savings the local shoppers make? They will more than likely spend that money in other stores in their local area.

cat_dog wrote: »
    I'd rather another Tesco than an Aldi or Lidl. Sick of em.

I can't think of any Aldi or Lidl in the city centre except for Parnell Street, and Thomas Street at a stretch. Where else is there one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I can't think of any Aldi or Lidl in the city centre except for Parnell Street, and Thomas Street at a stretch. Where else is there one?

They are the only ones.

There's an Aldi and a Lidl in Rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 9,310 ✭✭✭markpb

There's an Aldi and a Lidl in Rathmines

Rathmines is hardly the city centre. Not far outside it maybe.

Rathmines is hardly "City Centre". Anyway, how does Aldi/Lidl make for a worse urban environment?

ETA: Nice wording markpb :pac:

Cork Street as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Cork Street as well.

Not city centre either, inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Lidl on Moore St. too.

Right, so that's two Aldi/Lidls in "town" Town (Parnell St, Moore St), while I can think of five Tescos in the same area (Baggot St, Dame St, Temple Bar, Jervis, Parnell St). Where's the problem, cat_dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Right, so that's two Aldi/Lidls in "town" Town (Parnell St, Moore St), while I can think of five Tescos in the same area (Baggot St, Dame St, Temple Bar, Jervis, Parnell St). Where's the problem, cat_dog?

I think you need to break them down though. Baggot St and Temple Bar are Tesco Metro so closer to a convenience store like a Spar or Centra than a Supermarket. Jervis and Parnell are supermarkets while I am not sure which one Dame St. is.

They're worse than Tesco. They're everywhere. Theres even an Lidl in Portugal! They've cheap, mostly poor quality products and I find their stores unappealing to shop in. Tesco are more expensive but you know you're getting good quality and their suppliers are being paid fairly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EyeSight wrote: »
    But what about the savings the local shoppers make? They will more than likely spend that money in other stores in their local area.

They frequently *don't* make any savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

They're worse than Tesco. They're everywhere. Theres even an Lidl in Portugal! They've cheap, mostly poor quality products and I find their stores unappealing to shop in. Tesco are more expensive but you know you're getting good quality and their suppliers are being paid fairly.

Aldi and Lidl are both German in origin and can be found all across Europe. They're cheap (no complaints there) and on the whole the quality of the food is as good as if not better than Tescos and certainly Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

MYOB wrote: »
    They frequently *don't* make any savings.

I don't see how. If i had to do my shopping in the local spar or corner shop i'd be paying more. With the money i save i can afford a few more pints in my local or could afford to eat out more

Aldi and Lidl are both German in origin and can be found all across Europe. They're cheap (no complaints there) and on the whole the quality of the food is as good as if not better than Tescos and certainly Dunnes.
    I've noticed their fruit and veg go off really fast. And almost evertime I bought a packet of fruit they were usually substandard (very brused and even rotting! -yuck). And the blueberries are very hit and miss. Sometimes there bitter and you'll almost always find at least one moldy one. Quality control is obviously not their priority. Thats why I stopped shopping there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I've noticed their fruit and veg go off really fast. And almost evertime I bought a packet of fruit they were usually substandard (very brused and even rotting! -yuck). And the blueberries are very hit and miss. Sometimes there bitter and you'll almost always find at least one moldy one. Quality control is obviously not their priority. Thats why I stopped shopping there.

I find the quality of fruit and veg far better than Tesco. Tesco fruit and veg is frozen in storage and goes brown so quickly. I buy fruit and veg in Aldi all the time and it lasts ages, especially things like peppers, onions and apples.

Advertisement