Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ringworm

• 25-01-2014 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Can anyone give advice on treating ringworm in an adult cat? Only one lesion so on vets advice am treating with iodine twice daily to see how it goes, then will resort to anti fungal if iodine doesn't work. Any other suggestions?:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have never had to deal with it myself, but I've read a few threads on here about it, have a read of this thread, some great advice in first few posts to prevent it spreading...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71156769"]http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71156769

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

I would treat it with both the iodine and an antifungal cream. Using one in the morning and the other in the evening.
    Daktarin is available from the chemist without prescription. It works very fast and I don't think its too expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

BTW Ringworm spreads to children very quickly.
    Adults usually have a good resistance to it.

Its worth keeping children away from the cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

Great idea thanks, didn't think I could use both in tandem that way, will head out for chemist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

And unlike the iodine, Daktarin won't stain! But the nice thing about the iodine is that unlike the Daktarin, the cat can't really lick it off as it's absorbed more quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Thanks DBB, posting off mobile, messed up link.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭fourcats

Fortunately the patch is on his neck which he can't reach to lick, and he's stopped scratching it since applying the iodine, and now with the addition of Daktarin hopefully it will clear with no new lisions.

Advertisement