Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements to your Charlesland Home

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

I have now put the washing machine in there.

Just meant i didn't lose another storage spot in the kitchen when putting in the dishwasher as i just replaced it where the washing machine was.

That's a cracking idea.where does the waste water go?..into the toilet waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭the Lamb Post

Maudi wrote: »
    That's a cracking idea.where does the waste water go?..into the toilet waste?

Yep. I tapped the waste into the toilet waste, but made sure i got all the correct fittings i.e. washing machine trap, standpipe etc.

There was both hot and cold water feeds coming down from the hotpress/attic in the space so just tee'd off them for the supply, and took the power down from the socket in the back kitchen wall, all which were handily available.

Easy peasy :)

Nice..so you took a spur of the "adjoining"socket in the kitchen? I intended to take on from the "opposite"wall in the sitt room..at the stairs..but yours will be handier.. (even for small items like charging car vac ) its a handy place for a socket..and you can out it up high away from kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Maudi wrote: »
    Nice..so you took a spur of the "adjoining"socket in the kitchen? I intended to take on from the "opposite"wall in the sitt room..at the stairs..but yours will be handier.. (even for small items like charging car vac ) its a handy place for a socket..and you can out it up high away from kids.

We had a socket put in the new cubpoard under stairs (linked to one in kitchen) our builder said he could not put one directly in the room as its a bathroom and against regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

audreyp wrote: »
    We removed the island from the kitchen and put in a new kitchen (L-Shaped). We moved into Charlesland and the house we bought had previous owners so we never needed to buy appliances etc. Until now. We renovated the kitchen in September/October and it feels like a new house.

(We painted the kitchen after these pictures were taken)

Audreyp this looks fantastic, do u mind me asking how much this cost? Thanks

• Advertisement

FirstIn wrote: »
    I know from reading this forum some of the guys have done great things to their homes. I thought having them added to one thread would be good. To inspire others to do the same.

I'll take a few photos later and add them here. If you could do the same that would be great. Thanks
    with spiriling fuel costs etc.and to improve the insulation I took down the inside wall in the sitting room of our two bed,,the insulation was pretty bad behind the wall holes .missing rockwool etc..also explains why the house got cold soon as the heat was turned off,,i redid the insulation and replaced the 10mil board with a 50mil insulated board and the difference in heat retention is amazing...replastered radiator back on painted ,,

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

girl24 wrote: »
    Audreyp this looks fantastic, do u mind me asking how much this cost? Thanks

Thank you! I sent you a PM with the breakdown of costs. Hope it helps!

redsox_500 wrote: »
    I put in a 4ft by 4ft skylight in the back of my house, I have the kitchen in the back. It makes the kitchen look bigger as I took out the flat ceiling. I upgraded the insulation , spot lights in the new vaulted ceiling & flat ceiling in main kitchen area, redone the extractor & brought it back out the pitched roof as I want to do the attic in the near future & the vent for the extractor is coming up in the master bedroom, by doing this I'm gaining approx 8" for the stairs to the attic.

I also opened up under the stairs & have storage for a washing machine or dryer, which I moved out to the shed & now use that space for Hoover etc.

On to other houses in the Charlesland area I have taking out the gas fires to open up the sitting room, you still have a box section approx 8" by 8" as the waste for the toilet in the main bathroom is hidden in the chimney breast

I'm am a builder so if anyone is looking for a quotation for such work please don't hesitate to contact me
    Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irlontop

Hi All

Looking at getting some work done on kitchen in Charlesland

I found this forum when doing a search

I know it's three years old but does anyone have any recommendations on who to use for some work like new counters and moving washing machine etc?

Thanks

irlontop wrote: »
    Hi All

Looking at getting some work done on kitchen in Charlesland

I found this forum when doing a search

I know it's three years old but does anyone have any recommendations on who to use for some work like new counters and moving washing machine etc?

Thanks

Pm sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

we redid our kitchen in two bed house ( to the front) love it cant get over the space - pics attached ( i think !)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

finished pics

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alexnapier101

Emma A wrote: »
    finished pics

Looks excellent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sssssiiiiimon

That kitchen looks amazing. Just bought a 2 bed in CharlesLand. Can I ask who you had fit the kitchen. This is exactly how I would like to redo what's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

The island is a good idea, eliminates that bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fiveplusone

Thinking about making a few changes later in the year. Has anyone taken out the firebreast in living room in 2 bed app (under duplex) was thinking it might be nice to put built in unit with tv incorporated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I heard that Gas networks Ireland condemned the flueless gas fires in some parts of the estate and disconnected the gas from them. I don't know why they would do that in some parts and not others, as they are all the same fires AFAIK.
    Anyway, assuming the gas was disconnected, all you have then is a bit of plasterboard fake chimney breast to pull out.
    And voila, space for a flatscreen TV unit to your taste. Hopefully it would cover the hole left behind in the woodfloor/carpets.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 alexnapier101

We asked the boiler service guy to disconnect our gas fire on the back of his advice.

Our plan this year is to remove the gas fire and then build in a wall mounted television.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

My sister removed the gas fire from her 3 bed. Unfortunately there was an extensive pipe junction for the rads behind so the fake chimney brest had to stay. Still no regrets about removing the gas fire. It didn’t really heat the room and it gave you a headache! Room looks great now, TV mounted on the chimney brest.

Advertisement