Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yellow in Soccer

Options
  • 25-01-2014 10:31am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

So Kess gave me a yellow in the soccer forum for this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88628101&postcount=5895

We discussed it over PM and he told me it was for using the word freak.

Which if i had called the user a 'freak' straight out i would kind of accept but in this instance i used the phrase 'last word freak' as the user i was discussing a point with kept posting images and youtube videos and not actually discussing anything. Sure maybe I could have left it but this user most of the time links to an article that has previously been posted and doesn't debate any issues.

As an aside post, i generally like Kess's style of moderation, there was a post earlier in the thread that he/she edited rather than give a yellow card for. Which is imo very helpful in soccer however i would have like the same consideration and consistency shown to mine and other posts.

It is very easy for posters to get bans in soccer, i haven't reported a post in months as i know how much of a pain cards and DRP's can be for mods.

I'd like the card rescinded as the word 'freak' in this context was not meant as an insult. If a player was called a 'goal scoring freak' etc would that be given a card?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This appeal will deal with your yellow card. Your other comments ragarding moderation are not relevant to the appeal. They are more suited to Help Desk, although as you have already mentioned this to me via PM I am happy to continue the PM discussion on those points.

Now turning to the yellow, the card was issued following an exchange with the other poster that from what I can see started with your comment here
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Christ you're tiresome. Feel free to not reply. Ever.
    Then you followed up with the post that received the yellow:
    No no. I find your posts boring, repetitive and generally links to articles that you have previously posted or someone else has. So you're just looking for thanks and have nothing interesting to say and just re-post other peoples news.

So I'm not playing hard to get. Just calling you out on being a) boring and b) a last word freak.
    And even after that it continued with this
    b)last word freak.

So let me remind you about some basic Boards rules (not specific to the Soccer Forum - rules that should be observed across the site):
    From the FAQs
    "Comment on the Post, not the Poster"
    "Respect/manners go a long way"
    And linked from there probably the most basic rule on the site - Be Civil/Don't be a Dick

Your posts failed on all counts and I can see absolutely no basis for overturning this yellow. Card upheld

You may, of course, as for an Admin review this decision

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Again I'd like to point out that context be applied to the thread. If posts are taken on their own the look worse than they are.

Were the posts that I responded to in breach of the charter? If so will you be taking action on them?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I am not going to discuss anything in this thread but your yellow card and the posts you made that in my view clearly warrant it

Do you want an Admin to review my decision?

Beasty wrote: »
    I am not going to discuss anything in this thread but your yellow card and the posts you made that in my view clearly warrant it

Do you want an Admin to review my decision?

That's fine then.

Could you clarify if it was the word 'freak' that got me the card then?

If so is that an automatic card in the soccer forum.

Cheers. Sorry for dragging it out.

From what I can see it was your behaviour across a number of posts towards another user, including the use of the word "freak". If the card is accepted this thread can presumably be marked resolved

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    From what I can see it was your behaviour across a number of posts towards another user, including the use of the word "freak". If the card is accepted this thread can presumably be marked resolved

That's not what I was told by the mod. So until I can get a small bit of clarification. Nope the card isn't accepted.

Again sorry for dragging it out.

Could an Admin please review this decision

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

This seems fairly clear-cut to me. Play the ball, not the man. I've looked at the posts in context and they still look like a cranky argument rather than a discussion on the thread topic. If you had a problem with what another poster was posting (and I can see why you would), reporting the posts is a better idea than name-calling.

The card is upheld.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement