Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working mum?

Options
  • 25-01-2014 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm due back at work in April and originally was going back on a 3 day week. Now my employer has gone back on her word and says she needs me back full time. I'm devestated. I know I shouldn't give out about having a full time job but I have been working nearly half my life and I really want time with my baby too. Financially giving up work is not an option. I will start looking for part time work but I'm not very hopefully.
    Also have to sort out child care as our families were gonna mind our baby when it was just the 3 days but I don't want to burden them for 5 days.
    I'm just looking for advice from other full time working mums. Any tips for making the most of your time with your LO? Also I'm terrified he will prefer his child minder to me coz he will be spending more time with who ever is going to mind him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Firstly your baby will never prefer childminder to you. They know who their mum is.

Can you get any flexibility from employer at all? Use parental leave for 1 day a week, or even half a day per week? Even 4 1/2 would make a difference.

I work 5 days a week. Daughter is in creche for 4 mornings, which she loves. Great socially, she has little buddies and brings home loads of paintings and crafty things. My family is great, either my mum or dad or my brother&wife take her in the afternoons (from 2 til 5), depending on their work hours, and my mum has her for one whole day. I sometimes do nights, but need to sleep in the day... So her routine stays the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would go back to your employer with a list of why their request is unreasonable and see if there is some middle ground.
    I would cite the cost of creche,family time etc.
    Maybe they might agree to give it to you for 6 months or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Thanks for your replies girls. I know I shouldn't let it ruin the rest of my maternity leave but it's on my mind a lot. What are the chances of a part time job coming up that suits ?? Haha. We will see. My boss will be shooting herself in the foot anyway. I mean she says she doesn't have enough staff to cover for me part time but what will she do if I left?? Ah I dunno just stressing about it. It will probably all work out fine fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Have you said to your employer that you'll be looking for part time elsewhere if you can't be accommodated there?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Not yet. Have to go to see her in a few weeks and will ask her for a reference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Your child will never prefer a childminder to their working mammy.

I suggest that if a full time role is required and see if you can do it over less time (eg 9 hours a day for 4 days), that gives you one day at home.

For your working time you could get your family to mind your baby but pay them.

Or pay for some crèche a few days and family the other days.

If you can afford it get a cleaner so you have as much time with your baby as possible when you're off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Was working full time as well on maternity leave again at the minute though. It's there any way you can work from home, even some of the time? I find that working two days from home made a huge difference as you wouldn't be wasting time in traffic etc, and I could pick up my son from our childminder earlier. We don't have any family around that could help out, so juggling work and childcare can be a bit of a problem when the childminder is sick or on holidays, but luckily my boss is fairly flexible.

Another thing is the working hours, when I have to go into the office, I start at 7 am, getting home just before 4, which gives me some extra time with my son. My husband gets the time with him in the morning as he'll drop him off.

Maybe one of these things will help...and don't worry about childcare, while the kids obviously spend a lot of time with someone else, they do know who their mummy is/ and some time spent with other kids and not just mummy can be a good thing too!

Advertisement