Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxigen Plant in Ballymount - Massive Fire

Options
  • 25-01-2014 10:43am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't see anything about this yet..

I saw this on my news feed this morning.. apparently it's been burning since 3AM..

Someone mentioned that the one in Robinhood was also set alight around the same time??? :confused: could be just wild speculation.. it was FB afterall!

Pic..

xkz7.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yup I was riding home from work at 4am this morning and choking on the smoke as far away as Fairview and up the Malahide Road, I ever had ash blow into my eyes ~ now thats some distance!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Appearing on RTÉ about 10 minutes after you posted, maybe they get the news from here ?

They also mention the blaze in Robinhood, but not that it is the same company

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Official Anchor Woman :)

Hope nobody was hurt :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

xzanti wrote: »

I saw this on my news feed this morning.. apparently it's been burning since 3AM..

I live extremely close by to the site and was awake at the time. A series of loud bangs around 3.30am, then an enormous explosion around twenty to four. Burning since. Some of the roof has collapsed in. The wall corrugated panels look like they've been bulged outwards.

The whole length of the building was up in flames...it looked like one long streak of flames along the building inside and out, really quite a remarkable sight. I wouldn't want to think what's in the smoke...

There was another fire and it was what seemed like a car or van/truck behind my house which seemed to go up at the same time too. Neither was in Robinhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Dread to think what is burning I live in Glasnevin and even that far away it smelt pretty bad I thought a car had been burnt out and it was the smell of rubber. Hope no one has got hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭microsim

xzanti wrote: »

Someone mentioned that the one in Robinhood was also set alight around the same time??? :confused: could be just wild speculation.. it was FB afterall!

Pic..

xkz7.jpg

Most of the nearby residents were probably in bed hungover this morning given the geography of the area so they probably couldn't 'give a bollix'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Another recycling facility burned down. This seems to happen every few months in Ireland. They really will have to look at upping fire safety in these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

littlejctoonDM1704_468x323.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dfx- wrote: »
    then an enormous explosion around twenty to four.
    That must have been what I heard. I'm about 5km south of the site, but on high ground. It sounded like an explosion, but far away, so I just went back to sleep :D

Assuming this wasn't malicious, any ideas what would cause this kind of thing at a recycling facility? Someone throwing dangerous chemicals/containers into a recycling bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

microsim wrote: »
    Most of the nearby residents were probably in bed hungover this morning given the geography of the area so they probably couldn't 'give a bollix'.

:rolleyes:

tries to feel superior..............uses wrong word...............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Heard a woman on Today fm complaining about the smoke and how no one came to her house to to tell her to close her windows. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Excuse you!! I live in Greenpark, 3km from the site and I wasn't hungover this morning. Get your head out of your hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭olly_mac

I am a few miles away in Inchicore, and the explosions woke me too. Whatever way the wind was blowing, my bedroom smells like a bonfire this morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

olly_mac wrote: »
    I am a few miles away in Inchicore, and the explosions woke me too. Whatever way the wind was blowing, my bedroom smells like a bonfire this morning!!

I live in Greenpark (near lidl on greenhills road) literally up the road from it and I smell nothing. I didn't even know there was a fire till I seen it on my twitter newsfeed. Wind must be blowing in a north easterly direction.

Smoke seems to have died down somewhat. I wonder if the fire-fighting efforts have been helped by the rain or hindered by the wind?

seamus wrote: »
    Assuming this wasn't malicious, any ideas what would cause this kind of thing at a recycling facility? Someone throwing dangerous chemicals/containers into a recycling bin?

Gas explosion? The way the walls bulge outward and the roof has collapsed must indicate an internal explosion and it is an isolated site (which is pretty handy in these circumstances), so I don't see how anyone could (accidentally or maliciously) start it from the inside or outside and get out alive that quick. It was fully ablaze pretty much instantly.

I would love to know about the other fire though. It was in front of the building here, which is just around the corner from the Oxigen site..and it had the attention of 5 fire brigade trucks before they put it out. Also initially where I thought the explosions had come from.

dfx- wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone could (accidentally or maliciously) start it from the inside or outside and get out alive that quick.
    What I meant actually was whether this could be caused by Oxigen picking up a bin that some individual had used to dispose of dangerous stuff, which then later went alight when no-one was around. Not that someone was actually there when it happened.

Looking at the RTE pictures though, gas seems likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

maguic24 wrote: »
    I live in Greenpark (near lidl on greenhills road) literally up the road from it and I smell nothing. I didn't even know there was a fire till I seen it on my twitter newsfeed. Wind must be blowing in a north easterly direction.

After 4am this morning the smoke, some ash and the smell was strong in Portmarnock.

Fire still blazing, billowing smoke across towards Inchicore and Phoenix Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Is it bad out around the Rathfarnham area? Would a walk in Marlay Park be out of the question?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Rod Serling

Got some pictures for those who haven't seen the damage up close. Fire was still blazing away this morning.

MgUv8ar.jpg

B3yHkKr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: Such AH style sweeping generalisations are not permitted in the Dublin forum as per last line of charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Looking at the above pics I expected worse. After 24 hours of burning I assumed it would be a pile of ash.

That's the 'good' side. The damage is done to the other side, but it isn't accessible to photograph since the Gardaí closed off the road to the back. The roof collapse, wall missing and source of most of the smoke is at the other end. Wind is blowing the other way towards the city as well.

Still smouldering at that end now, but looks like more high-vis vests are daring to have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Mrs works down that estate. Was closed since yesterday morning, nobody allowed in. However it has just reopened so everything must be under control. There were a lot of businesses down there that were stuck for a few days.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

Is it bad out around the Rathfarnham area? Would a walk in Marlay Park be out of the question?
    Prob a bit late for you now, but I'm near Marlay and haven't had sight nor smell of it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I find it amazing that in the past year or there about. City Bin Co have had 7 bin trucks burned out.

http://www.thejournal.ie/city-bin-co-trucks-fire-718665-Dec2012/

Two fires again one of which has trucks at the Panda Waste plant

http://www.thejournal.ie/fire-panda-ballymount-depot-dublin-496139-Jun2012/

I'll let you connect the dots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

How about we stray away from any potentially libellous dots msg11

As an aside, the smell from this was incredibly strong in the city centre this morning

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I could smell it on Nassau Street on Sunday afternoon, I don't think I have smelled it since though - thankfully. I suppose the rain has dampened it down by now if it wasn't out fully already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭zarafiq

seamus wrote: »
    What I meant actually was whether this could be caused by Oxigen picking up a bin that some individual had used to dispose of dangerous stuff, which then later went alight when no-one was around. Not that someone was actually there when it happened.

Looking at the RTE pictures though, gas seems likely.

Any cows around?
    http://news.msn.com/offbeat/flatulent-cows-start-fire-at-german-dairy-farm

Advertisement