Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Openelec eircom router on vpn

• 25-01-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I need to set up my openelec xbmc on vpn. What is the best way to do this.
    Can it be done on the standard non fibre eircom router or done through openelec or add ons.
    I would appreciate any pms on this set up as I have seen on one of the openelec forums that the easiest way to do this is to have 2 routers and set the openelec xbmcto the router set to the vpn.
    Has anyone done this, as help would is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Are you rolling your own VPN for privacy, or using a provider to overcome geo restrictions, your not very clear.

A solution will depend on what you are trying to achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Are you rolling your own VPN for privacy, or using a provider to overcome geo restrictions, your not very clear.

A solution will depend on what you are trying to achieve.

Privacy 1 and geo restrictions a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

For geo restrictions just use a smart dns service, less messy.

Bump.
    Anyone any thoughts. On VPN or VPN router for this setup. Openelec xbmc

Bump.
    Anyone any thoughts. On VPN or VPN router for this setup. Openelec xbmc

A router, just buy a Mikrotik RB750 and setup the VPN on that.
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750level-32mb-5xlan-p-560.html

• Advertisement

A router, just buy a Mikrotik RB750 and setup the VPN on that.
    http://www.interprojekt.com.pl/mikrotik-routerboard-rb750level-32mb-5xlan-p-560.html

Thanks.
    A cheap router. Is it difficult to setup and piggyback on to a d1000 sitcom router. Also any good VPN services for this.

Thanks.
    A cheap router. Is it difficult to setup and piggyback on to a d1000 sitcom router. Also any good VPN services for this.

Yeah, Mikrotiks are very advanced, but if it's just for VPN I can give you the code to paste into it to get that going.
    Check out overplay VPN, they also do smart DNS.
    https://www.overplay.net/

Anyone tried VPN service on openelec. There isn't much info other than butchered options.attached is a screen capture of the openelec config I just saw.

Yeah, Mikrotiks are very advanced, but if it's just for VPN I can give you the code to paste into it to get that going.
    Check out overplay VPN, they also do smart DNS.
    https://www.overplay.net/

Just sent on a pm. I ordered the box mentioned. Hopefully you can send on the code to access VPN services.

Ah we'll.
    foolish purchase. You'd need to be an it professional to setup this router.
    Impossible for the home user to setup. Not sure where it's market is when once you buy it and look off support on VPN , you are told ithat you need to be an expert to set it up,
    Anyone looking for a router?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

argos modem router tp link

Ah we'll.
    foolish purchase. You'd need to be an it professional to setup this router.
    Impossible for the home user to setup. Not sure where it's market is when once you buy it and look off support on VPN , you are told ithat you need to be an expert to set it up,
    Anyone looking for a router?

Yes, Mikrotik are not at all for beginners, they're en enterprise router with many, many options. ISP's use them. Those in the Mikrotik thread in nets and comms all have good basics, even then a Mikrotik is a huge learning curve. I could give you a working config if you pm me the details, but you'd need to be capable of resetting it to default, logging in, refusing the default config and pasting the code into a terminal. Do you think you'd be able to do that?

thanks for this offer,

I am able to reset this device as Ive done it several times over the 2 days . I have done the manual setup as per their website and the posting of the config both into a new terminal in winbox and also as the website suggests into a new script and running it.
    Unfortunately every time it seems to connect to a server and I check my IP it still reverts back to my isp. I know I am close but I would struggle for one line replies that is currently taking me days in retries.
    I don't want to sound ungracious . I will get an it professional to show me how to do this. A few euros spent now will save me a week or two.

Yes, Mikrotik are not at all for beginners, they're en enterprise router with many, many options. ISP's use them. Those in the Mikrotik thread in nets and comms all have good basics, even then a Mikrotik is a huge learning curve. I could give you a working config if you pm me the details, but you'd need to be capable of resetting it to default, logging in, refusing the default config and pasting the code into a terminal. Do you think you'd be able to do that?

Thank you so much. I am a bit overwhelmed at whiteheartloons time and efforts.

Thank you so much. I am a bit overwhelmed at whiteheartloons time and efforts.

Working ok? Did you sign up for a full blown vpn subscription?

Working good . Took a 30 day and it expired just there back. Haven't had a chance to look further into it with other things going.
    Cons were reliable but us VPN was slow.

Advertisement