Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who can see Private Hosted Forums?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

So the people from this PFJ forum have said they're set up elsewhere so they can post PMs and slag off posters on another site.

The 22 of them should be banned from boards.ie if that is the case.

Cheers for asking for me to be banned pal. Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,878 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

An File wrote: »
    I thought you'd recognise an obvious troll after 12 years here! Why respond to them at all?

I've nothing better to do on the way to work :)

Glad he's back though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So the people from this PFJ forum have said they're set up elsewhere so they can post PMs and slag off posters on another site.

The 22 of them should be banned from boards.ie if that is the case.

Yes, that's right, we're going to the trouble and expense of setting up our own forum just so we can talk about you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Big Tom Mainliner

I've tried to find it in the thread, but one of the former PFJ posters said that they're free to insult people on their new site... thats not frikken on... that's all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Any objection to it from any Thunderdomer is null and void IMO.

• Advertisement

Any objection to it from any Thunderdomer is null and void IMO.

:confused: I've been posting here less than a month...

My opinions are as valid as the next honcho. That's democracy.

Don't get me wrong, what that admin went and did was wrong, but bigger fools for believing anything you post online is private...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If this thread is to be closed, let's not let it be closed as it's gone off topic or snipey.

5starpool wrote: »
    If this thread is to be closed, let's not let it be closed as it's gone off topic or snipey.

I just saw this thread on the front page browsing... I'm going to head off. Nought to do with me, and it seems like a serious matter. Don't want to derail a topic of this gravity... I just thought it was wrong that posters can set up a private site to slag other posters off is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

There is a thread running on After Hours that starts off with someone saying lady gags is annoying as hell. Pretty much run of the mill AH stuff.

That is a real identifiable person and is acceptable. Many other celebs, Bono for example, get much much worse treatment.

Compared to this, the bit of slagging a mod received, who is unidentifiable, was minor and took place on a private forum.

Well if we're going to make that comparasion, we only have to look at what happened with Boards and MCD. You're definitely around long enough to remember that. They are a real and identifiable body.

And so what if it took place on a private forum? Nothing is very private on the internet these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

John Mason wrote: »
    oh does this mean, all private forums are going to reviewed retrospectively and all offending posters and post removed?

i am aware of 2 private forums which i am not a member of discussing me in the vilest of terms. there has also been things from personal life dicussed, including some upsetting medical issues

How do people become aware of this stuff? They are supposed to be private, seems almost snooping on other private forums.

Private messages are as Wibbs obviously pointed out private. The only time I recieved a PM that suggested targeting or bullying a member, I reported it to a CMod. I didn't even mod at the time, and I wouldn't exactly be best pals with the poster who was getting ganged up on.

People use pm's to discuss private stuff so it would worry me what people choose to divulge against a users wishes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Very interesting read, i am not sure what the lads in PFJ expected to get out of this thread. The saying he who pays the piper call the tune comes to mind. When you don't pay for something you don't really get to decide on how its managed, at least now with your own home you can do what you like.

These feedback threads at time's go the same direction, complaint is made over the top but paints the admin team in a bad light, the admin team responds with some dirt to save face, in rides the usual suspect of moral outrage and condemns it and finally the thread gets closed. All we are really waiting on now is one of the community support folks to ride on in and to shut this down.

I don't think you will get the answer you want, so i would accept things as they are or move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

My opinions are as valid as the next honcho. That's democracy.

wut

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Calhoun wrote: »
    When you don't pay for something you don't really get to decide on how its managed, at least now with your own home you can do what you like.

We've covered this ground.
    I pay actually. Real money each April.

Others pay by looking at ads. This idea that we get something for free and should be grateful is a convenient myth.

The community is the product, the advertisers the customers. Remove the product, remove the revenue, boards dies. Spare us the charity mentality.

Geordie accent/

Day 4 in the Big Brother house and The Admin is still nowhere to be seen having put the PFJ up for eviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,807 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Day 4 in the Big Brother house and The Admin is still nowhere to be seen having put the PFJ up for eviction.

I suppose you are gonna say that's not witch hunty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I suppose you are gonna say that's not witch hunty?

What about calling for 22 users to be site banned?

Boggles wrote: »
    What about calling for 22 users to be site banned?

From a guy who's posted here for less than a month?? Which means he's probably a re-reg, and possibly one that you and your merry band of brothers in PFJ have had an altercation with in the past.

From a guy who's posted here for less than a month?? Which means he's probably a re-reg, and possibly one that you and your merry band of brothers in PFJ have had an altercation with in the past.

So that makes it okay?

Cool.

Boggles wrote: »
    So that makes it okay?

Cool.

Stop looking for issues where there aren't any. It doesn't make it ok, but it does mean that he's a probable troll and should be ignored as such. If it's such an issue to you, report the post.

Jeez you sound like a liverpool supporter!! ;)

Stop looking for issues where there aren't any. It doesn't make it ok, but it does mean that he's a probable troll and should be ignored as such. If it's such an issue to you, report the post.

I don't have any issue with it, you are the one proclaiming "witch hunting", you should really report the post, if you feel the need to point it out.
    Jeez you sound like a liverpool supporter!! ;)

Sense of injustice?

Agreed.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You were told two days ago that the admin concerned was dealing with real issues. You know, important things, not petty bull about your crappy club for jerks.
    LoLth wrote: »
    RL concerns. anything more than that is not mine to share and no-one here has any right to demand. I'm not being flippant or dismissive just as honest as I can be.

At some point, PFJ had a high road on this thread, a right to feel aggrieved over a minor incident. Unfortunately you kept picking at it, and in doing so you lost all credibility by exposing your forum as a refuge for petty, small-minded individuals.

The "eviction" of PFJ seems no loss to the site, to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

seamus wrote: »
    You were told two days ago that the admin concerned was dealing with real issues. You know, important things, not petty bull about your crappy club for jerks.

Its funny how "real life issues" always tend to pop up when someone cannot explain their actions isn't it?

gimmick wrote: »
    Its funny how "real life issues" always tend to pop up when someone cannot explain their actions isn't it?
    If you have evidence that someone's being dishonest, then present it.

So far there has been zero dishonesty from the admins in this thread. Incorrect actions, and an admission of same, but that's not the same as being dishonest.

You seem to be believing the worst of the admins for the sake of it.

I can tell you for a fact that there's no dishonesty going on here, but like LoLth it's not my place to share any more than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gimmick wrote: »
    TBH I'm agreeing with Seamus here. I can see why people might have had a collective WTF moment at the start, but it's like a dog with a bone at this point. Put it another way G, you're a mod and no doubt at some point you've had a poster whinging, even freaking out because you didn't reply to one of their PM's within minutes. And you know how that made you think of them. Kinda similar here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

At some point, PFJ had a high road on this thread, a right to feel aggrieved over a minor incident. Unfortunately you kept picking at it, and in doing so you lost all credibility by exposing your forum as a refuge for petty, small-minded individuals.

The "eviction" of PFJ seems no loss to the site, to me.

Didn't stop said admin posting in other threads did it?

Even a "Sorry folks, I'm a bit tied up but I'll get back to you when I'm free" would've been fine. We may be petty, small minded jerks but we can be understanding petty, small minded jerks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Are you lot trying to become martyrs or something? Drop it, it should be bloody clear that this isn't someone just ditching their role on here for a laugh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Didn't stop said admin posting in other threads did it?
    Real world example from my own time here. Over a year ago now I was going through major ****ing stress/shíte/Heartache with a family member and my head was fooked frankly. At the time I was modding tLL and kept on top of that pretty strongly. However for two weeks I pretty much ignored reported posts, or modding in general. Yet I was posting my usual bilge elsewhere. It was a respite as it were. Dunno how to explain it, but there you have it.

If Beruthial is going through the shíte with real problems then I for one can see why they'd be doing similar to above. TBH in my case at that time I would quite likely have told ye to fcuk off. At this stage it's been spelled out in black and bloody white, by people who would be in the loop and as far as privacy can be respected that something is up, so let it go FFS.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Even a "Sorry folks, I'm a bit tied up but I'll get back to you when I'm free" would've been fine.
    You and I both know that's not true. It's wouldn't have been fine. It would have been immediately responded to with 20 posts demanding an explanation.

There are now 267 posts on this thread. Many of them lengthy and compelling prose. That takes time to read. Then time to re-read as you prepare a decent response. These are things which take time and energy, and when time and/or energy is low, it's not appropriate for an admin to deal with the feedback forum.

Because the Feedback forum demands decent responses from admins, and won't accept anything less.

This is why it makes more sense for another admin - who has already been engaged in the discussion - to let you know what's happening, than for another admin to pop their head in and say, "Sry, busy, BBL". Because Feedback won't accept that.

You and I both know that's not true. It's wouldn't have been fine. It would have been immediately responded to with 20 posts demanding an explanation.

Not from those horrible jerks in the PFJ there wouldn't. It's already been said that a brief PM could've diffused the situation somewhat too. It's the nothing that's being questioned. *If*, as Wibbs said, there was a break being taken from modding you can hardly except it not to be met with cynicism when it came so quickly after what has been described as another admin as an error.

But ok, I'll leave it at that and wait.

Here's where we're at -

1. The PFJ is done as a forum, we've moved on, so do what you will with it.

2. Some long standing posters have closed there accounts, others will follow, and others not related to PFJ have been in touch to say that this is yet another sign of Boards' decline (their opinion, not mine). The users aren't happy but no one even from the office has had a say officially for days. Maybe they just want to let it burn itself out?

3. We're not getting the response we want as the admin isn't available.

4. There's sniping in all directions.

So, with all that said, if you (admins collectively) believe we're going absolutely nowhere, what are we still doing here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Wibbs wrote: »
    Real world example from my own time here. Over a year ago now I was going through major ****ing stress/shíte/Heartache with a family member and my head was fooked frankly. At the time I was modding tLL and kept on top of that pretty strongly. However for two weeks I pretty much ignored reported posts, or modding in general. Yet I was posting my usual bilge elsewhere. It was a respite as it were. Dunno how to explain it, but there you have it.

If Beruthial is going through the shíte with real problems then I for one can see why they'd be doing similar to above. TBH in my case at that time I would quite likely have told ye to fcuk off. At this stage it's been spelled out in black and bloody white, by people who would be in the loop and as far as privacy can be respected that something is up, so let it go FFS.

I still think there is a case to be answered for but only with calm and rationale people. Context is a great thing and we have neither other than what can be shown on this thread, these forums were a product of another time on boards and are they behind in catching up? Probably but we already have an admin admitting that there was fault in the first place.

Should it be the admin that caused this mess dealing with it? i don't think so as no matter what she does at this stage they have a pretty hardened and unflattering view on her.

A simple white wash of this is not on especially when most people advocating moving on with this are current mods or ex mods as it just looks like a closing of the ranks. Boards doesnt have to be transparent i suppose but it would be nice to see.

• Advertisement

Out of interest, what are PFJ members expecting from Beruthiel if admin have already admitted her action was over the line?

And I don't mean "courtesy" "a bit of respect" I mean in factual terms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement