Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

IBT course recommendations Dublin

• 25-01-2014 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭

Looking for recommendations for an IBT course for category A in Dublin. Ideal requirements:

- can do it over a weekend
    - bikes, all gear etc. included

There seems to be a lot of instructors out there, anyone have a recommendation for anyone in particular?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Give "lookbehindyou" off this forum a shout and he will see you right

Great instructor!

This is his contact details : Mick Finlay 0857117700

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I did mine with mick and I would recommend him to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Paul Dobbins 0861736929.

He's based out of the leinster driving campus. He can have you in their compound which has roundabouts, lanes, traffic lights, hill starts, all off of a real road.

He's a gentleman as well and a great instructor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

What kind of price do these guys charge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

kjl wrote: »
    What kind of price do these guys charge?

here's the web page that tells you the information you need.
    Here is the table of prices from the page:

DIRECT ACCESS CC AGE PRICE
    CAT AM mOD 1+2+3+4 (16HRS) < = 50CC mIN AGE 16YRS €495
    CAT A1 MOD 1+2+3+4 (16HRS) <= 125CC <11kw MIN AGE 16YRS €495
    CAT A2 mod 1+3+5 (18hrs) > 395CC <35kw MIN AGE 18YRS €595
    CAT A MOD 1+3+5 (18HRS) > 595CC >40kw MIN AGE 24YRS €595

PROGRESSIVE ACCESS AGE PRICE
    CAT A1 TO A2 (MOD 5 - 11HRS) MIN AGE 18YRS €395
    CAT A2 TO A (MOD 5 - 11HRS) MIN AGE 20YRS €395

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

i did first ibt with paul dobbins and he was great. i was glad in hindsight as the campus is brilliant. bit of a hassle getting there and I had to take a day off but overall very good.

did the new module five with martin o'reilly in tallaght. oreilly school of motoring. again a really nice guy probably not as thorough as paul but that might have been as i was more experienced by then. if you're looking for someone that will work around your schedule and is competitively priced go for him. also did a pretest with martin and passed my full a test first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bammer the slammer

Just did mine with Martin OReilly in Tallaght sound fella very reasonable with prices the rest of them Im sure are great but after getting quotes from them I came across Martin and Im glad I did, I tried the rest and Martin is the best. He will give you the confidence you need to get through the test.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Give roadtraining.ie a shout before ya decide to go with anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Be careful going with places that are cheap, the training is not up to the same standard as others in a similar price bracket. You really need to get reviews from other people that have done the training.

Cant recommend Lookbehindyou enough, excellent rates and the training is 2nd to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

Lookbehindyou, ie Mick Finlay is who I did mine with.
    And it was invaluable in my opinion.
    definitely recommend him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 TTDublin

I did mine with Irish Motorcycle Training - can't recommend them enough. Sound guy Tony Agnew who knows his stuff. Found him on the bike forums where his name keeps coming up. Did an insurance assessment and I ended up saving €140 on my insurance - sure that was a big chunk of the training costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I did my IBT with Tony Agnew also, id highly recommend him, very patient, good instruction and i got a lot of good advice from him in terms of buying a bike etc.

http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Mick Ganley, 0872578136. Ballymount. Did my A licence though Mick....practical no b/s and flexible

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Chisum

I did my IBT with Mick Finlay roadtraining.ie passed A licence test last Friday
    Lookbehindyou here on forum
    Great instructor and and can't speak highly enough of him
    Give him a call you won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

rowanh wrote: »
    I did my IBT with Tony Agnew also, id highly recommend him, very patient, good instruction and i got a lot of good advice from him in terms of buying a bike etc.

http://www.irishmotorcycletraining.com/

+1 Tony is your man to get you to where you want to be, made me a better rider tenfold. Sound calm chap and will give sound advice on anything you want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Smithy101

Aaron Rider Training, very very good! Highly recommended!
    Definetly worth checking it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Finally, I have the cash more or less and I have the coming week off. How quickly can I get this IBT done ? I want to buy my first bike and start riding soon for the summer and this IBT requirement is holding me up.

Dublin based, I can drive there in my car to the IBT. I have no bike or gear of my own yet. I want to do my test for the maximum unrestricted A license. Is anyone around who can make me an offer ? Recommendations welcome. I assume people are enjoying the St Patricks holiday so basically I'd be ready to rock and roll with the cash in hand early morning on Tuesday. I need to start biking asap for my own happiness :D

(After this IBT is done and allows me to finally bike then we can discuss preparing me for the test in a speedy but less urgent manner and organizing pre-tests etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

Give Mick Finlay a call if you want a very good instructor

His website is roadtraining.ie

Has great reviews and many on here will vouch for him

• Registered Users Posts: 31 TTDublin

If you want to do IBT in Dublin then Tony in irishmotorcycletraining.com is the man to talk to. Did my IBT and pretest with them and passed the test first time. Really knows his stuff and explains why you do something and not just what to do.

He trained Gay Byrne (head of the RSA) and he mentioned him in the Indo so he'd have to know what he's at...

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭dre_jspeed

Trebob wrote: »
    +1 Tony is your man to get you to where you want to be, made me a better rider tenfold. Sound calm chap and will give sound advice on anything you want to know.

+2 I just passed my test last week thanks Tony top bloke, I couldn't recommend him enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement