Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8 speed cassettes and 2014 wheels. (Wrenching question)

• 25-01-2014 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Can anybody who has done or tried to do this give me and answer.

A lot of the newer wheels by Mavic, Shimano and Campy are saying that they are compatible with cassettes with 9, 10 or 11 cogs on them.

But is it not the case that if a wheel can take an 9 speed cassette it can take an 8 speed cassette also?

Or has something changed with hubs since the introduction of 11 speed cassettes to the mix.

Has anybody put a 8 speed cassette onto a 2014 wheel able to share their experience.

Many Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

With 10 speed hub there will be no problem at all. I am running 8 speed cassette on Shimano 105 FH-5700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

I have an 8 spd cassette on 2013 mavics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The main areas where a cassette and freehub body might be incompatible, that I can think of, are:

* Shape/pattern of splines - I don't think that has changed from older to modern Shimano cassettes (though I think there may be a different pattern with some vintage or other of Dura-Ace).
    * Depth of splines - again this has remained largely consistent as far as I know.
    * Width of freehub body - if the spline pattern and depth match then you just have to worry whether your cassette is too wide for the freehub body. An 8-speed cassette should be either the same width as, or narrower than, a 9-speed one so should fit on a 9-speed freehub - you may or may not need a washer depending on whether there really is a difference in width.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Apologies for the hijack but can I convert Easton EA 70s currently running on 9 speed, to 10 speed, thanks

Advertisement