Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WAGO Connectors

Options
  • 25-01-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know if wago connectors have been approved for use in Ireland yet?

I see they meet BS 7671 does that mean we can use them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

heffo500 wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone know if wago connectors have been approved for use in Ireland yet?

I see they meet BS 7671 does that mean we can use them?

Thanks

well I've seen them used a lot, and I've seen similar in light fittings for years, I cant imagine that there is and issue with them.

http://www.wago.us/support/technical-information/

they have a list of the specifications that they meet above there are CE and EN specifications there, I would imagine that in Ireland that EN is a better fit than BS, even if they are very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ThePricklyPair

Hi Heffo,

I've been representing WAGO in Ireland for 15 years.
    Our series 222 and 773 connectors are available in wholesalers nationwide. As is everything else we offer.

There is absolutely no reason not to use them. I wouldn't still have a job if they couldn't be used in Ireland
    They are used widely and during the construction boom years sales volumes were very significant.
    The integrity of our connections is unsurpassed and when combined with the speed and reliability...you're onto a winner!

There is no specific system of approvals in Ireland for these type of products.
    Once a product has received EN (Euro-Norm) certification it's good to go in the Irish market.
    Our Cage Clamp spring offers "fit and forget" technology.
    Can you really walk away from a screwed connection 100% of the time 100% sure that the connection will never fail and heat up, short out etc???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Can you really walk away from a screwed connection 100% of the time 100% sure that the connection will never fail and heat up, short out etc???

yes.. if you know what you're doing ...it's mostly down to the quality of product and installer

Hi Tom,

If only they wouldn't lob the carton in the skip they could read the operation instructions (in picture form) on the box!

Sometimes it makes me cry a little ;-)

i'd struggle to see the benefit of using wagos

unless it's a pro job where money doesn't count

where would the advantage lie for a regular spark

• Advertisement

Ahhhh Tom,

The eternal price argument.
    You get what you pay for. We're offering a vastly superior product with all international approvals.
    Look at a strip connector......you'll rarely find any approvals at all. R&D and new technology doesn't come cheap. Combine this with the fact that (assuming our products are terminated correctly) they don't fail.....ever!
    In certain applications and industries we have been asked to provide safe operation guarantees over time. This typically runs to 40 years.

Screws come loose or fail due to temperature fluctuation, vibration and corrosion in harsh environments.
    Wago spring pressure technology made from stainless steel doesn't!
    In fact they are constantly self-tightening and maintenance free....guaranteed!

I have often seen 15amp pvc strip connectors melted into an indistinguishable lump of melted plastic with live contacts exposed and badly wrapped in poorly applied insulating tape. Lovely!.....just don't venture into the attic without your rubber suit!

I sometimes pose the following question to customers....I'm not being an ass....just illustrating a point

What baked beans would you buy?

Heinz or Batchelors @€;0.95/can
    or
    ALDI Own brand @€;0.29/can

95% of the time lads go for the Heinz/Batchelors option.
    Why?
    'Cos they perceive them to be of higher quality, tastier, thicker sauce......whatever.

So! If the Price over Quality choice wasn't an issue everyone would buy ALDI and Heinz would be broke.

So to answer your question what do they offer to electricians day in day out.

"A perfect connection.....every time and guaranteed by the manufacturer!"
    They are also massively quicker and more reliable....no faults, no call backs.
    They are the norm on mainland Europe....In Ireland we use all the same cables they do (NYM-J etc)

Connections are the point at which electrical systems fail. Why wouldn't you use the best connector you can find?
    Contact me on <SNIP> and I'll arrange some samples for you. Don't take my word for it.

Mod edit: Contact by PM please

Connectors are the point at which electrical systems fail.

i believe you're exaggerating the problem

occasionally when they're done badly...i can hardly recall a comeback with connectors i've fitted in all my years

i'm also not aware of major comeback issues for professional electricians fitting strip connectors properly

sure.. diy joe half doing it is likely to leave a 'timebomb'

but he'll fit the wago wrong too:)

You'd be surprised.
    Run an IR camera over a panel sometime.

WAGO's global turnover exceeds €600M.
    We don't sell any screwed connectors.
    There must be a reason for our success.......

Don't tell me you've never seen a melted screw connection....in terminals, connectors, mcbs, ceiling roses, sockets etc etc

The point I'm making is that with WAGO a proper connection can be made "independently" of operator skill.....everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I've used Wago connectors for the last couple of years and I can't fault them.

They're worth the money for the time saved alone.

Hi Elmer,

Thanks for that.
    I took the job in 1999 as soon as I saw the spring.....it's brilliant.

Imagine what MK could do for the cause of spring pressure if they launched a range of wiring accessories with "push in" springs.
    Terminating rigid conductors (T&E NYM SWA) would be a doddle in every case and particularly in a tight spot.

That's my mission :-)

PP

• Advertisement

lv_05-base.jpg

they'd be handy alright

i wouldn't fancy the basic ones...what would you do for fault-finding if you can't release the conductors

Hi again Tom,

All of them have a test point. Just look for the slot.
    You won't ever have a fault if you introduce a 10mm length of stripped conductor correctly.

The one you've shown is called a 222-415.
    They are WAGO's most successful product range since their launch and since we started in 1951.
    It terminates conductors from 0.08sq to 4.0sq and it's rated at 32A 4kV.
    It accommodates solid, stranded and flexible conductors.
    To remove and re-use simply lift the lever.
    It comes in a 2, 3 and 5 way version.

Our Series 773 (clear and coloured - push in) is designed for solid and stranded conductors only......NOT flex unless pre-ferruled!
    24amps 0.75sq to 2.5sq - 2, 4, 6 and 8 way available.
    Also has a test point for continuity testing
    To remove and reuse (on solid only) just pull and twist apart...wiggle it backwards and forwards as you pull apart.
    NB : You can't remove a 7 stranded conductor from this product. The strands bed down too tight in the mechanism.

I hope that this is helpful and not considered advertising by the moderator.

PP

i mean an installation wiring fault ..

the basic wagos would be a nightmare if you wanted to split up circuits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What kind of a price difference are we talking about between Wago contractors and normal screw type?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

Thanks for all the responses.Its been interesting. I wouldn't mind free samples to try them since they sound so good. I'm sure if they became an industry standard and everyone was using them then the price would fall to in line with strip connectors.

Right lads, Back from dinner now.

If you need to remove a conductor 'cos you've got your circuits confused the answer is as follows:-

Option 1
    Series 222: Lift the lever, remove the conductor and sort it out.
    Series 773: If it's not fully loaded i.e. less than 4 conductors in a 4 way block then removal is fairly easy.
    Use a needle nose pliars and wiggle and twist to remove if it is fully loaded.

Option 2.
    Don't make wiring blunders :-)

Will PM you with prices as I'm sailing a bit close to the wind in terms of forum rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Will PM you with prices as I'm sailing a bit close to the wind in terms of forum rules.

Fair play

Hi Heffo,

If you can get everyone using them and they become an industry standard I'll have you all around to my house for Ireland's biggest dinner party. The prices however won't go down as someone has to pay for the beer!

PP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

Weve used 1000s of these. They 1/4 the time on using screw terminals.

They are pricey but for what we do it increases the number of products we get out the door by about 12 percent.

• Advertisement

Now I have to ask.....

What do you make?
    Where do you work....if it's not too cheeky a question?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Ok, I think this has had a fair airing.
    If you have anymore questions please take it to PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement