Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just a few Quick questions

• 25-01-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Firstly im only starting to get into bikes so apologies if any of these questions.

I am firstly looking for advice on what bikes people would recommend I am 24 so i have just passed the theory test for an unrestricted A licence. I have always liked the style of Harleys that low easy riding style they have, im not big on the more powerful looking super-bike styles that are out there. However getting a harley is quite unlikely to happen as my first bike. So are there any bikes similar in style that anyone here would recommend.

Secondly I was wondering if there are any good insurance companies that do good prices for provisional licences like myself.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

Harley Sportster 883 is learner legal...

Nice little low mileage one on donedeal, depending on your budget (I wouldn't offer more than €2.5-3K tops for it, extras mean squat unless it's performance orientated) ;)

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/harley-davidson-sportster-883/6303249

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Harley Sportster 883 is learner legal...

Nice little low mileage one on donedeal, depending on your budget (I wouldn't offer more than €2.5-3K tops for it, extras mean squat unless it's performance orientated) ;)

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/harley-davidson-sportster-883/6303249

Don't buy this one though OP.... definitely don't.... (just rang my buddy telling him he should snap it up, looking for a sportster anyway :D )

I've heard good things about VN800's OP. Friend of mine used to have one and is raging she got rid of it. But I'm not a cruiser person, so everything I say is second hand.

And Monsta, he's 24, a Hayabusa is learner legal if he could get insured :D

And Monsta, he's 24, a Hayabusa is learner legal if he could get insured :D
    Only mentioned learner legal as he'd probably sell it on after 6 months when he gets the Harley bug out of his system & realises how underpowered the 883 really is :eek: ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

MonstaMash wrote: »
    Only mentioned learner legal as he'd probably sell it on after 6 months when he gets the Harley bug out of his system & realises how underpowered the 883 really is :eek: ;)

That's why I don't want my friend to get one, but it's better than his 125 marauder :pac: No one to go spinning with because the bastard won't get a proper bike :rolleyes:

OP, given you've just done your Theory and presumably haven't done IBT yet and probably have little experience on a bike, the best advice I can give is that you don't actually know what style of bike you like, you just know what you like to look at.

When you've done your IBT and can confidently ride a bike, test ride a bunch of bikes before deciding what you want. Cruisers are comfortable and all, but I find them boring.

^ what minidazzler said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 king909

I appreciate all your comments, its the cruiser style i like from a looks point of view. It doesn't necessarily have to made by harley. as for the under-powered stuff im not the speed demon type, i have drove for a good few years now and i definately wouldnt be the one flying around all the time hahaha. but i definately plan on test driving plenty once i get my full licence, i got a quote on an harley sportster 883 and they wanted 3250 which no offense im absolutely not paying. i been looking around got a half decent quote on a yamaha XJ6 which seems pretty nice? anybody have any experience with an XJ6?

Advertisement