Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Chinese restaurant

Options
  • 25-01-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Where do you go for a decent Chinese meal that is not too expensive. We will be in Kilkenny staying at The Pembroke next month. Early bird would be fine as we don't like to eat late. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I like the Swan myself, on the Parade, upstairs from Ladbrokes on the corner, couple of minutes from the Pembroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Try Yindees Downtown, it's at Johns Bridge. It's a very good Thai restaurant and they do a good early bird special. Always got good meals and service there. Chinese restaurants: Ming Court (not great); Swans (ok); Lotus and Lohs (never tried them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'd recommend Lotus [formerly called Emerald Gardens]. No early bird menu but we eat their every month or so, the staff are friendly and the food is exceptionally good. A rare case of food in a restaurant improving after a complete revamp

https://www.google.com/maps/preview/@52.653445,-7.253948,3a,75y,267.64h,72.58t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1smQ0e-Vag7OGl7mYH5OwOPg!2e0

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Golden Palace but its a bit out of town. The Lotus is getting slated on everywhere for there food so not sure if I would try them. Swans is decent and good value too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I have eaten in tonnes of Chinese restaurants over the last 10 years as its the only type of food my wife will eat when we go out, and while I live in Dublin I was in the swan recently and thought it was brillant,.

The first time I was in there was in November, we were on a job with work and 8 of us landed in there at midnight on Tuesday night after work and the quality of food at the time of night was unbelievable. We were back there twice again that week. I also stayed in KK with the wife before Xmas and went again. Great food and great service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

toe_knee wrote: »
    The Lotus is getting slated on everywhere for there food so not sure if I would try them
    That surprises me, to be honest. Each to their own obviously, but I think their food now is a big improvement, although the decor is shockingly bad. It looks like a work-in-progress, even though it is finished

Do you have any links? I couldn't find any stand-out poor reviews myself

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mad Martina

• Thanks for all your replies. We went to Yindees and had a great meal. We also ate in Zunis and Anocht and both were exceptional value for their early bird. We really enjoyed our break in Kilkenny and feel you are very lucky to have such great restaurants and the shopping is excellent too. Thanks again

Advertisement