Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you keep your litter tray?

• 25-01-2014 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I can't find a spot for it? Where does everyone else keep it? I'd love a utility room just for this reason. I have 2 cats sharing a tray and it can get fierce stinky no matter how often I scoop.:(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Spare toilet, glassed in balcony, spare bedroom and utility room have all been used at one time or another. Also look at what you feed (what goes in comes out) as a potential source of smell and increase the number of toilets and look at possibly changing litter (I've found wood pellets used for burning worked well to absorb smell for example for us but your mileage may differ and make sure you mix both litters if you're changing to a new brand just like with food).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Rule of thumb is one litter tray per cat plus one extra. :) My house is teeny but I have three on the go for two cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

When I need one, in the bath. Where no one can trip over it and send everything flying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Use to keep one under the stairs until I realised the cats preferred the space behind the tray for their business. I then used to put it in the downstairs toilet which worked well. We no longer use litter trays thank god I dislike them so much.
    I always used only one tray for three cats and didn't have any problems, but they rarely used it anyway as would go outside for most of their business(except if it was raining, windy etc). You can get trays that are covered and have filters at the top to limit the smell they work very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I have 2 big hooded trays,
    I keep one in the utility and one in the sitting room, then I've 2 smaller trays, one wherever Dudes crate it and the other one upstairs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We keep 2 in the kitchen, 1 under the table and 1 by the kitchen window(we only really eat at the kitchen table on Christmas day/Boxing day). The boys don't like to use the main tray that Poppy uses but she pees in theirs and poops in the other 1:rolleyes: We have 1 in the safe room with Molly, under the desk.

Maybe you need a different cat litter. We use Cats best oko plus, it's great for absorbing odours, is cheap and the solids are flushable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We keep them in the bathrooms, but when the kittens we've had are young we use a bathroom to keep them separated and safe, so they get used to their toilet being in the bathroom, our 13 yr old cat still goes to the bathroom even though we moved house.
    Wood pellet litter is good for the smell, we also use covered trays with filters, the current kitten is pretty stinky, before we adopted her she was adopted and return a couple of weeks later, maybe it was the foul stench which you could smell from downstairs, it's better since we changed her to applaws, but still bad. Some cats are just stinky!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

We live in a one bed apartment. We have the tray in the hallway against the wall. It's a big one with a cover and it has a little charcoal filter thing on the top. I scoop it out every night. We have no problems with smell. :D
    Here it is :)
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3088181

Aww they have cool designs on amazon... maybe when we get another kitty...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catit-Jumbo-Hooded-Litter-Tray/dp/B0057XF6U4/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001G0FHY2/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=pet-supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Have 2 trays in the utility room. If we are away overnight and not going to be back until the evening I will put down another one.

I will remove the pee/poo as soon as they have used them. One of my cats is extremely fussy about only using a clean tray. If it has already been used and she needs to go, she will poo just outside it. She will pee in it though - thank dog!!

I think the intensity of the smell can depend on the litter you use. Used to use Cat San clumping which is good. Got the Cat San hygiene once but did not like - began to smell after a day or two.

Now use Golden Grey litter and would recommend that to no end. More expensive I think it probably works out the same as it clumps really well and keeps odour free for way longer than any other ones I've tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

My cat is getting on a bit and has recently decided he doesn't like going outside to pee anymore.
    I put his tray in the bath because if I leave it at floor level the dogs will try and eat it. I only use one tray but I clean it up as soon as he uses it.
    I'm using the wood pellet litter and it works really well, hardly any odour and it's very reasonably priced. I get a big sack of it in Woodies for about €7. It last for about 6 weeks.
    Fortunately he's still pooing outside, but that won't last much longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Interesting question actually!!

It depends on the house doesn't it?

In our first tiny apartment, the only place for it, was in the shower tray... its actually a horrible place I think ... you have to move it about then, and litter crumbs in the bathroom are horrible... I like the bathroom to be 'clean' or otherwise I don't feel clean getting clean there :p

You'll all laugh when I get to the end of this... the logic...

Second apartment, we had a large hall and there was loads of room for it there, and that was perfect ... only slight issue there is sometimes coming how to 'used litter tray smell' ... never awful as we clean everyday, but discernible!

Now we are living in the largest of all apartments ... but the hall is narrow and awkward... the bathroom is similarly awkward... and besides, I wouldn't go back to that unless there was no other option...

So its actually IN THE BEDROOM :eek:

Bit gross... but its a very large room and the tray is in a handy corner by the door. We use good quality litter, enclosed tray and clean frequently and there is no smell.

It actually is the best place for it, because the cat sleeps in the bed religiously every night :rolleyes: and its nice to be able to close the bloody door!!

Every other place we've had to always leave the door ajar, and this had the downside that cat had free roam of the house and used to go a bit mad sometimes ... he's much more settled at night now, he just goes to bed when we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

I posted a reply on Sat on my mobile but it doesn't seem to have appeared :o

So once again. Thanks for all the replies. I have swapped to wood litter and yes I found it far cheaper than Tescos in Woodies.

I am trying the hall and scooping twice a day. It was unbearable in the kitchen. I like the idea of the bathroom but afraid someone will leave door closed by accident and then there would be accidents :rolleyes:

But thing about the hall is someone calls right after cat has done a smelly poop or kicked the litter all over the place.:confused: I guess I'd really like a cat that used the loo and flushed after herself:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

zipee wrote: »
    I guess I'd really like a cat that used the loo and flushed after herself:D
    Crazy as it may seem, with the exception of flushing, you can actually get special cat toilets that you place over the toilet bowl that allow you to train your cat to use the toilet !!

http://www.litterkwitter.com

We have 2 cats, so 3 trays, one in the back guest bedroom (we live in a bungalow) and 2 in the kitchen. Possibly not the best places, but given the space available, they're as good as we can manage. It does get a bit embarrassing if someone calls just after one of the cats has done a smelly poo, but what can you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I have my trays in the garage, which has a 'pedestrian door' into my house. There's a catflap in the bottom of the people door so the cats can access the garage. I have the whole garage as a cat room actually - the floor's been painted with an epoxy paint so it can be easily vacuumed and washed, there are cat trees in there, food and water, litter trays, and I've a variety of shelves with carpet on them set up on one wall from floor to ceiling so they have a load of roosting spots.

The smell is almost always from the pee, so I use wood pellet litter with a sieve tray, and never have a problem with a cat pee smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zipee

@the sweeper - I hadn't heard of sieve tray but googled it. Interesting... I assume you don't use newspaper with that??? Do you remember where you got it? Thanks

Advertisement