Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange goings on....

Options
  • 25-01-2014 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hey guys
    So I woke up yesterday and turned on my windows 7 32 bit to see that windows 7 had gone to “windows 7 classic”…looked like windows xp to me,no aero taskbar etc

Anyway after a long search I found this fix: https://sites.google.com/site/chrislent/windowsupdatefailingwithcode80070422

It worked a treat…but something just felt wrong…
    When I tried the windows update-I was getting an error…Fixed it via advice I found on google

I found other errors like my dvd optical drive wasn’t accessible and my windows restore was getting an error saying I had no restore point all of which I fixed again via advice from others via google and all of whoms advice was by typing services.msc into the search bar and going from there…all were correct

I had to reinstall steam….i had to reinstall tune up utilities-What is going on….

I was convinced I had a virus/malware/spyware so I scanned with MSE/Avast/Superantispyware/Malwarebytes and nothing…not a thing…
    I cannot use windows backup so Im using a third party-no big deal there

My only problem now is is my dvd/cd drive although it is now accessible(via fix from google) is not auto-playing when I insert a disc but more importantly it is showing all “files currently on disc” instead of autoplay or showing an icon right next to where it would say “CD Drive E”say if I inserted a game…if I insert a homemade DVD I get the files “AUDIO_TS” and “VIDEO_TS” that will only play via VLC player-not WMP…the dvd will play but I have to manually click on each section of the movie….

Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and still the same

Any ideas-Why 1-all the problem’s and 2 how to fix the cd/dvd drive issue
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Mr.Torrent

Ensure that CD-ROM AutoRun is not disabled in registry

Check this link out http://www.techtalkz.com/windows-7/516004-how-configure-autoplay-settings-windows-7-a.html

Or

Ensure that Shell Hardware Detection service is running

Type “service.msc” in Start Search to run Services console. Locate Shell Hardware Detection, and ensure that the “Service Status” is Running, and “Startup Type” is Automatic. If not, start the service and change the Startup Type setting accordingly.

Uninstall conflict software

Some software application, especially disc imaging or image editing program such as Nero, PowerISO, MagicISO, and even some other programs such as Rhapsody and various VMWare virtualization products such as VMWare Server and VMWare Workstation has conflict with AutoPlay and will cause the AutoPlay functions to be not working.

Hope it can help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Having autoplay enabled is a security risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Try system restore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

No idea but Google rocks

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭dannyo666

@ Mr.Torrent this"""Type “service.msc” in Start Search to run Services console. Locate Shell Hardware Detection, and ensure that the “Service Status” is Running, and “Startup Type” is Automatic. If not, start the service and change the Startup Type setting accordingly."""" has worked it seems,thanks a mill...

@T-Bird...cant system restore as i said

Also just for the craic this morning i downloaded spybot and done a scan.I presumed it would show nothing as malwarebytes/superantisyware had shown not a thing.....it showed 52 infections and the WIN32.gen virus/trojan which is deleted now....can i presume the WIN32.gen is what is caused all the problems?...cant believe malwarebytes/superantisyware missed this with all the latest definitions......crazy

Everything seems good now but i know ill find more problems over the coming days...was close to doing a full clean windows 7 install..over the top at this stage in anyone's opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Mr.Torrent

dannyo666 wrote: »
    @ Mr.Torrent this"""Type “service.msc” in Start Search to run Services console. Locate Shell Hardware Detection, and ensure that the “Service Status” is Running, and “Startup Type” is Automatic. If not, start the service and change the Startup Type setting accordingly."""" has worked it seems,thanks a mill...

Everything seems good now but i know ill find more problems over the coming days...was close to doing a full clean windows 7 install..over the top at this stage in anyone's opinion?

Glad to help! :)

And

Id wait and see if anything else happens before doing a full clean!

Advertisement