Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thumbs up - or down

Options
  • 25-01-2014 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place to post this
    Not sure either if it's been suggested / discussed before
    But
    Dear Site Developers (including Dav and the hamsters)
    :D

Any chance of a thumbs down option beside the "Thanks" function

Sometimes there are posts that I agree with and it's nice to say Thanks as a kinda +1
    But there's no facility for a one click (thumbs down) (poster you are an idiot) button

Any thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ah the young ones with no memory of the follies of the past.

Actually, even the current like system is abused in very nasty and petty ways, sometimes almost approaching harassment. People suck basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

as already posted, we've had this suggestion quite a few times and every time the reasons against outweigh the reasons for.

you dont like a post? don't thank it or , better yet, post why you don't like it and join/start a discussion.

This has been done to death in the past. It would be a troll's paradise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Out of curiosity is it possible to change how thanks are displayed somewhere in the settings, like once a post reaches a 100+ thanks I find it looks messy while reading especially if on a smaller screen.

Personally I would set a limit to the maximum amount of thanks a post could get to something like 20 to act as a chiller to some of the more obvious thanks whoring while still allowing for the "I agree" usage of the thanks button (but thats an opinion I know people wouldn't go for and is probably driven by my bitterness in never having a really high thanked post :mad: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Out of curiosity is it possible to change how thanks are displayed somewhere in the settings, like once a post reaches a 100+ thanks I find it looks messy while reading especially if on a smaller screen.

Personally I would set a limit to the maximum amount of thanks a post could get to something like 20 to act as a chiller to some of the more obvious thanks whoring while still allowing for the "I agree" usage of the thanks button (but thats an opinion I know people wouldn't go for and is probably driven by my bitterness in never having a really high thanked post :mad: )

I wouldnt see any reason to limit how many thanks people can get but using the touch model showing "150 thanks (show thanks)" for posts with large numbers of thanks on the main site would get around the problem of lots of thanks messing up threads. Might be worth mentioning in site development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd prefer if all I could see is (+20) where I could mouse over that number to see who exactly thanked the post. While it's nice if you've been around a bit to see exactly who thanked your post I'm not 100% sure it needs to be public knowledge.

Advertisement