Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm - monitored

Options
  • 25-01-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

Does anyone know if I have to have a landline in order to have a monitored alarm. I am currently with Eircom and if my alarm goes off I receive a text message as do my key holders, followed by a call.

Is there any way around this ? I want to leave Eircom because of the absolutely hopeless service of broadband and wondered if I go with another provider do I really need a landline which I rarely if ever use?

Any advice to a non techi woudl be appreciated :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Phonewatch is no longer owned by Eircom. Its simply Phonewatch now.
    To answer you questions an alarm can be monitored over any phone line eg UPC etc. You can also use a GSM dialler , although I wouldn't personally install these without explaining the risks of jamming etc.
    Any licenced installation company can provide this service to you.The other options for monitoring would be over IP or radio.
    You say its a PW alarm but it texts you??
    Is it sending texts over the landline? If this is the case you would be limited to Eircom or a provider that uses Eircom lines.

Moved to Home Security systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Red door

KoolKid wrote: »
    Phonewatch is no longer owned by Eircom. Its simply Phonewatch now.
    To answer you questions an alarm can be monitored over any phone line eg UPC etc. You can also use a GSM dialler , although I wouldn't personally install these without explaining the risks of jamming etc.
    Any licenced installation company can provide this service to you.The other options for monitoring would be over IP or radio.
    You say its a PW alarm but it texts you??
    Is it sending texts over the landline? If this is the case you would be limited to Eircom or a provider that uses Eircom lines.

Many thanks for your advice - very clear now on what to do. Move to UPC - Eircom are just pathetic.

Kind regards.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Post above edited. Please do not refer to Phone Watch as Eircom.
    There is no connection between the 2.Phone Watch is part of Sector Alarms.

Advertisement