Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having review period extended

Options
  • 25-01-2014 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

I work in the Tech Support call-centre for a particular consumer goods company. They expect a very high percentage level of customer satisfaction and in the past 9 months, following a change in management they've taken a very hard stance on any employees who don't hit or exceed this exact target. There are plenty of other 'metrics' or targets too but the customer satisfaction one seem to totally dominate.

I've had months of not hitting the target and as have been put on a coaching plan to hit the required target. I didm't reach the target in the month of October (whilst on a plan) and so I was to be put on another plan/review period for the month of December.

I incidentally DID reach the target for the month of November. Anyway I didn't reach the target for the month of December, the period for the plan/review was active.

I had two dissatisfied surveys from 11 received. Both calls were listened to by my manager and was decided at the time I did everything on the calls that was expected of me.

In the past week I've been called to attend investigations and disciplinary meetings over this fact.

My managers want to extend further the plan/review as they conducted so few evaluations of my work in the month of December. My manager is also using one call (the only random one he conducted in the entire month) in which I failed an evaluation in which I had to deal with an extremely rude, hostile and un-cooperative customer who continued to shout loudly down the line despite at me despite my asking several times for him to calm down. I had to terminate the call, thus failing. To quote my manager the customer owns a 'premium' product and had thus 'paid for the right to be unpleasant' towards me.

I find that attitude disturbing.

I feel that I've engaged with the process and done my best for period the plan was running. Now my managers wants to move the goalpost again but of course regard their extention of the plan/review period as a favour they're doing me.

I am understandably depressed and pessimistic about my role at the company at what future, if any, I have there.

Would my treatment qualify as Bullying in the Workplace, according to Citizen Informations website? In particular "Repeated requests with impossible tasks or targets"?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would my treatment qualify as Bullying in the Workplace, according to Citizen Informations website? In particular "Repeated requests with impossible tasks or targets"?

Thanks.

No imo, you had a target set, you didn't meet it, and you are essentially having the review extended to give you another opportunity.

To be honest it sounds like you and the job are not a good fit, I'd look elsewhere if I were you.

I worked in a call centre and our customer satisfaction rating had to be over 85% consistently, 2/11 dissats in your case is about 82% so wouldn't even have met the minimum target used in the call centre I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭galwayguy85

Fair enough. My argument however is that I on the two dissats I got back I did everything on the call that the company would've expected of me. Had I not, then it would it be a fair outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why such a low number of surveys? That's not enough to be any sort of statistical sample.

How are you doing in other calls?

IMHO it's not bullying, unless no one is able to meet the targets. Then they would be unreasonable. How are other team members doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Only 11 surveys is simply not enough to base a performance percentage on as each dissatisfied is like 9%.

I had 19 surveys received in the month of November, very busy after a major product launch. 17 of those were satisfied.

In the month of December, people going out Christmas shopping etc and not phoning the company in question and my own taking of holidays resulted few surveys coming in.

I know that 11 is nowhere big enough to count a statistically valid sample size but try telling that to your manager, who is just fixated on the percentage alone. I have also argued that for the months of November and December I am at total of 87%. Perhaps the difference of one dissat survey away from the target.

Management are making the argument that they want to give me another chance to raise my percentage.... to me it sounds as though they just don't have enough evidence to fail me (and potentially dismiss me) for my plan/review in December. They should do the decent thing if haven't got enough evidence against me and simply let me pass and then get on with my life/job!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I feel that I've engaged with the process and done my best for period the plan was running. Now my managers wants to move the goalpost again but of course regard their extention of the plan/review period as a favour they're doing me.

I am understandably depressed and pessimistic about my role at the company at what future, if any, I have there.
    Sorry but "doing your best" means nothing if you don't hit the goals; basically the company has two options. Either they let you got right now as you failed to meet the goals during your probation (which is the point of probation in the first place to ensure the employee is suitable for the position) or they extend probation in the hope you'll meet it in the new period.

I meant that in terms of I've engaged with the process and what was asked of me. Read the post just before you posted also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I meant that in terms of I've engaged with the process and what was asked of me. Read the post just before you posted also.
    You're on probation and they can let you go with 100% successful surveys. The reality is you are not meeting their KPIs even when averaging two months according to yourself so we're back to square one; you're not meeting the target, end off. This goes back to point one; you've failed probation so far (i.e. not meeting the target) so you've been given a second chance to do so. If you refuse the extended probation the chances are very high that you'll simply be let go because you've failed to meet their targets (the discussion of fair or not is of no relevance as you're probation).

Just as well then that I've got something on my manager... volunteering certain details of his life outside of work to me at an inappropriate location on the workplace to boot. HR will some something to say I'm sure. Shan't say any more other than " fair or not is of no relevance"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Just as well then that I've got something on my manager... volunteering certain details of his life outside of work to me at an inappropriate location on the workplace to boot. HR will some something to say I'm sure. Shan't say any more other than " fair or not is of no relevance"

Oh my god are you even reading your own posts..
    You are asking information wondering if the way you've been treated can be classed as bullying... And then you imply you'll dish the dirt on a manager to put him in his place, or are you planning to use it as leverage so they'll go easy on you???

If you start pulling out crap like that you'll be out the door... And rightly so!!

Learn how to meet the targets in your current job, or get a different job where your able to to successfully !

Its sounding to me like your manager has been asked to "manage you out the door", I've had to do it in the past. People who can't cut the grade have to be moved on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Let us know how that goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Absolutely reprehensible behaviour grow up. I'll put this aside and put it down to you being concerned about your job.

OP am I right in saying you're not on probation as some have indicated but that you are on some sort of performance management? Educate yourself about your rights during a disciplinary hearing. If the metric used is customer satisfaction surveys then you need to challenge that buy asking what more you can do. If there is nothing you can do, as you say, and the survey still comes back as a negative then you need to challenge this during any disciplinary action.

It's not acceptable for a company to say "you must do X and everyone else is doing it so that's the only reason we're giving you a warning". Don't be afraid to engage with the disciplinary process and it take as long as it takes. If they have to listen back to every dissatisfied call then it's their problem.

Also I would, as I always suggest, speak to an employment law solicitor at your earliest opportunity if you've been with the company over a year, finished your probation and are involved in disciplinary action. They will be able to guide you through the process/make leaving with a good reference and severance possible.

I am with the company over three years now. Thanks bepolite for your balanced view of things.

I will likely be engaging with a HR staff member and my manager's superior in the coming week.. don't worry I won't play dirty! :D

The long and short of it is that I fully respect that the company has targets to meet and so do the staff. I have applied myself fully and taken onboard the feedback given during coaching.. it can be a tough line to tow in term of keeping the public happy and still sticking to company policy sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I am with the company over three years now. Thanks bepolite for your balanced view of things.

I will likely be engaging with a HR staff member and my manager's superior in the coming week.. don't worry I won't play dirty! :D

The long and short of it is that I fully respect that the company has targets to meet and so do the staff. I have applied myself fully and taken onboard the feedback given during coaching.. it can be a tough line to tow in term of keeping the public happy and still sticking to company policy sometimes.

You'll never win in a call centre environment the managers are one step up/one step down from retail managers and I say that 15 years a retail manager, now working in a call centre.

Just make sure you're treated fairly. I know how call centres operate, they use lazy metrics and just say 'well everyone else is doing it'. That's fine for a discretionary bonus but not to sack someone.

Please note this is all my opinion, see an employment law solicitor if things get nasty.

Advertisement