Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Wash out your mouth

Suarez as good as Henry at his peak

Ridiculous

Don't be biased.

He's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Have to agree Suarez is not on Henry's level, but Henry wasn't even our best player back then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Don't be biased.

He's class.

I agree he is

But not on a peak Henry's

No way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

I agree he is

But not on a peak Henry's

No way

Maybe I did go a bit far :(

Apologise.

If Wenger had of payed the 50mill+ that he is worth in the summer, we would sitting at the top now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Apologise.

If Wenger had of payed the 50mill+ that he is worth in the summer, we would sitting at the top now.

Yep again I fully agree :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apologise.

Liverpool would never had sold unless a ridiculous bid had come in. We're talking Bale money.

Title odds gone from 15/2 to 20/1. Seems the bookies agree with most us on here.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Title odds gone from 15/2 to 20/1. Seems the bookies agree with most us on here.

20/1 ? That's definitely worth an ew bet

greendom wrote: »

With skybet yup, ah it definitely would be but dont want to line myself up for double heartbreak :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

greendom wrote: »

I would imagine that's a win only price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I wouldn't say we're out of the title race.

If you're gonna go and rule us out, then you're already accepting that we'll lose several more points.

How about we just take it one game at a time? That's Wenger's approach and I've no doubt that he still believes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

It's horrible to lose. It's particularly horrible to lose to Stoke. It's even more galling when we are in a title race and we lose and our rivals wins. But what is worst of all is when supporters turn on their own team and use words like 'gutless' and throw the toys out of the pram and lose all sense of perspective and reason as if today's result is some kind of personal slight against them.

We were awful today no doubt - the side deserves criticism and the manager deserves criticism. But there is a limit. This team has serious limitations. That's a big part of the problem here. We are struggling badly without our two biggest goal scoring options.

Stoke are not a great side. But they treat this game as a Cup Final. They beat Chelsea and Man United at home and drew with Man City. Are we to discount Chelsea as title contenders too because they lost at the Britannia?

Chelsea have drawn at home to West Ham and away to West Brom in the past month. Have you seen there fans running around calling the team gutless and say they have bottled it?? No you haven't. Some on here need to get a grip.

There is a limit to the quality of this side. That needs to be factored in. Now I am sure someone will tell me 'I have low standards', 'happy to be second best', am 'reflective of the mentality of Arsenal at present'. I prefer to call it realistic. I believe we are much more suited to playing against Spurs, Everton, City and Chelsea than Stoke away. I won't hand over the title just yet but I have always considered City to win it and Chelsea behind it. And fair play to Liverpool they have been magnificent. But bear something in mind - we have the same points as them.

And also some of ye need to go easy on the players. The Wilshere crap is ridiculous. He had a serious January for us before he got injured. Don't forget the Ramsey experience. The Cazorla abuse was downright laughable.

Not totally based on today's performances but while I love Sagna and Podolski's attitude I would not be giving Sagna 3 years at the top wage and I would not be against Podolski being sold.

Why Ox wasn't on the pitch from the start/earlier, I agree, crazy.

Roll on next weekend!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Stoke are not a great side. But they treat this game as a Cup Final. They beat Chelsea and Man United at home and drew with Man City. Are we to discount Chelsea as title contenders too because they lost at the Britannia?

People did write them off at the time but responding with a 12 game unbeaten run culminating in a 4 point gap at the top of the table is generally a good way to change people's minds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Title ambitions over.

Let's concentrate on the FA cup, it's the only slim chance at silverware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Apologise.

..If's and But's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Title ambitions over.

Let's concentrate on the FA cup, it's the only slim chance at silverware.

if we beat Chelsea and City then we're back in it, don't make silly statements.
    We're still in it, made it a little difficult for ourselves though. don't win all our games in the next month then it's goodbye. But at this Moment we should play a full team agaisn't Everton next weekend.

IT showed today that we're missing a top striker, sad to say but it's true. God bless Giroud as I said before he's not a top 4 team leading striker, he's good back up player for cup games and a few league games. We need Wenger to splash the money in the summer on Centre forward with pace and who will take that only chance. Plus without Theo we lack serious pace up forward. Pod, Rocisky, Giroud, Wilshire were awful today. Ox was our best player by a mile, he looked at least he gave it a try.

We have to beat Chelsea, City, Spures and Everton, no if's or to win the league and beat everyone else. No excuses. I doubt we can as we haven't got any danger going forward. All tippy tappy stuff around the mid way half doesn't do swat. It's clear when we come agaisn't top teams they have us sussed. I expect a top 4 finish again and maybe a cup final appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

People need to get behind the team. I hate all this "it's over" let's see how we will respond. One big win and we could garner a good run.
    It sucked today that's for certain but Chelsea and Utd lost there and City and Liverpool drew too. So it's not a easy place to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Looper007 wrote: »
    People need to get behind the team. I hate all this "it's over" let's see how we will respond. One big win and we could garner a good run.
    It sucked today that's for certain but Chelsea and Utd lost there and City and Liverpool drew too. So it's not a easy place to go.

Liverpool won 5-3 at Stoke I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

No point getting on the team or wengers back, but I think he made a huge mistake not signing someone with a bit of pace in January, anyone on loan even.

But then again we have ox who looked like he would do a good job filling in and Wenger left him on the bench yesterday.

But I suppose he's the manager and he knows what's best for the team.

The difference Ox made to our attack was striking. Can't understand why he wasn't brought on much earlier or even why he didn't start.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's horrible to lose. It's particularly horrible to lose to Stoke. It's even more galling when we are in a title race and we lose and our rivals wins. But what is worst of all is when supporters turn on their own team and use words like 'gutless' and throw the toys out of the pram and lose all sense of perspective and reason as if today's result is some kind of personal slight against them.

We were awful today no doubt - the side deserves criticism and the manager deserves criticism. But there is a limit. This team has serious limitations. That's a big part of the problem here. We are struggling badly without our two biggest goal scoring options.

Chelsea have drawn at home to West Ham and away to West Brom in the past month. Have you seen there fans running around calling the team gutless and say they have bottled it?? No you haven't. Some on here need to get a grip.

There is a limit to the quality of this side. That needs to be factored in. Now I am sure someone will tell me 'I have low standards', 'happy to be second best', am 'reflective of the mentality of Arsenal at present'. I prefer to call it realistic. I believe we are much more suited to playing against Spurs, Everton, City and Chelsea than Stoke away. I won't hand over the title just yet but I have always considered City to win it and Chelsea behind it. And fair play to Liverpool they have been magnificent. But bear something in mind - we have the same points as them.

And also some of ye need to go easy on the players. The Wilshere crap is ridiculous. He had a serious January for us before he got injured. Don't forget the Ramsey experience. The Cazorla abuse was downright laughable.

Not totally based on today's performances but while I love Sagna and Podolski's attitude I would not be giving Sagna 3 years at the top wage and I would not be against Podolski being sold.

Roll on next weekend!

Great post Johnny.

I find ironic that many of our fans throw in the towel the minute anything goes wrong when this is exactly what they accuse our players of.

Stoke have a savage record at home vrs the big teams. Our squad is not complete and hugely lacks the threat of pace.

We all knew this before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Not a hope of winning the title now, even finishing 3rd is in doubt.

Wenger has to win something this year in my view or he should go. Also finish above Liverpool as a minimum in the league.

Look ar our next 4 and look at Chelsea's, we'll be further adrift at the end of this run. Also cannot see us winning at Stamford Bridge, that will be the final nail for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Ox has to be starting every game with Ramsey and theo out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gosplan wrote: »
    Great post Johnny.

I find ironic that many of our fans throw in the towel the minute anything goes wrong when this is exactly what they accuse our players of.

Stoke have a savage record at home vrs the big teams. Our squad is not complete and hugely lacks the threat of pace.

We all knew this before the game.

Its all well and good that Stoke have a great home record, and that would be fine if they went out there and beat us, but they didn't. Arsenal just didn't show up. The players out there had more than enough to win but just completely bottled it, I've no doubt about that. And it seems that when the pressures on, this team tend to go missing far more often than not. Of course they beat Napoli and Dortmund earlier in the season, but in the last 3 months? Stumbled over the line against a lot of poor sides and didn't show up against United, Liverpool (1 fluke), Southampton, Stoke. I absolutely don't mind losing games like the Bayern one where they actually gave it a go, but yesterday was just horrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Santi101 wrote: »
    Not a hope of winning the title now, even finishing 3rd is in doubt.

Wenger has to win something this year in my view or he should go. Also finish above Liverpool as a minimum in the league.

Look ar our next 4 and look at Chelsea's, we'll be further adrift at the end of this run. Also cannot see us winning at Stamford Bridge, that will be the final nail for us.
    This attitude is nonsensical. Who would you replace him with? Would that person new more likely to bring success?

A manager should be replaced not because of how disappointing a period of a few months went, but rather because someone else will do a better job going forward. Wenger has shown vast improvement in the team in the last year, and if it weren't for Ramsey and Walcott's injuries we might be to of the league and favourites right now. We have only had one summer with money to spend and we got one of the best midfielders in the world, and why do you think he was happy to come here? Arsene Wenger had a huge role in that, I'd bet. Another summer and we'll probably have more top players, and be in a great position for next season.

Nobody expected us to be challenging for the league this year. That we have been is fantastic, and it's been the best season I've experienced as a fan in years. You or anyone else wanting to sack Wenger on some bullshit principle of "he hasn't won anything" are talking out of the wrong hole.

Would be a perfect singing in the summer
    Tom Williams ‏@tomwfootball 12m
    Arsene Wenger tells @telefoot_TF1 that Arsenal have been "following Antoine Griezmann for a long time".

Him, Gnabry, Ox and Theo for the wings and let Santi and Ozil battle it out for the #10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I'd actually prefer us to sign Griezmann over Draxler. He looks exceptional from what I've seen of him. Not saying that Draxler isn't but I think an out and out left winger is more what we need right now.

Imagine Greizmann on the left, Ox on the right and Theo up top, Ozil would have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i'd take griezman and a striker. that'd be nice. and a new physio team who can get our players back from injury faster

• Advertisement

Griezmann, Bender and Balo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Do ye think the Arsenal players will celebrate like they did last year when they finish in the top 4? It's seems winning the league will be a step too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

djPSB wrote: »
    Do ye think the Arsenal players will celebrate like they did last year when they finish in the top 4? It's seems winning the league will be a step too far.
    Piss off.

Just watched motd, Charlie Adam...

AdamD wrote: »
    Piss off.

He is a despicable human being .

i dont see why morons people have an issue with celebrating overhauling your local rivals for a very important CL spot on the last day of the season.
    if united got 4th this year on the last day im sure they'd be delighted. if spurs pipped arsenal or liverpool to 4th im syre theyd be delighted too. it took a massive effort from the team last season to get that spot, and they were entitled to be happy about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Gutted with that result yesterday. I honestly despise that pathetic excuse for a football club that is Stoke City. We were bullied out of the game yesterday. Were such a soft soft team, no real warriors in our squad (with the exception of Mertesacker) that we had when we were winning trophies, could you see the likes of Vieira, Keown, Gilberto rolling around the ground from the slightest knock, and shying away from a challenge, not a ****ing chance, those lads would of gave there life playing for the crest, they were winners and you could see it hurt them when they lost. We also lack the pace to hurt teams like Stoke who will sit deep and let us have the ball knowing we wont hurt them in behind, were so easy to defend against, so predictable.

What hurts is we had our best chance in years to win a league and the boss doesn't go out and buy the striker with pace we crave, I love the man but some of his decisions are baffling. We should of just paid the 50 million for Suarez last summer instead of pissing about with stupid 40 million and 1 pound bids, if we had of done that the red and white ribbons would of been on that Premier League trophy. If I could some us up the last few seasons its been "so close but yet so far away"!!!!

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Piss off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

What exactly are you trying to achieve with this post? (cue the typical oh so innocent 'I'm just asking a question' response)

Oh and would you look who thanked it.

Roll on next weekend!

Good post and I agree with what your saying. But the reason our fans (not that I agree with them, but I can see where they are coming from) are calling the team bottlers and Chelsea'a aren't is because we have gone the last 8 or 9 years without any success, and consistently failed against the big teams whereas Chelsea on the other hand have won everything in this period of time.

An absolute thug he is. That stamp on Giroud yesterday was sly and cowardly.

Oh and would you look who thanked it.

i find him amusing at this stage. he cant control his anti-arsenal tourettes.

• Advertisement

Anyone think its possible to have Ramsey sitting as the lone dm, and have santi and ozil play infront of him with then two traditional wingers in the team. I know he likes to bomb forward but he has some engine, definitely think he could manage it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

We are falling short due to Ramsey not being fit and Walcott not being fit. We would have coped with one gone but two gone at the same time for such a long period was never going to end well for us.

We are against the ropes now but I do believe that if we go through the spurs/chelsea/city/everton games with results we will still be very much in contention.

It's whether the team have the bottle to keep going and doing their best rather than producing sh*te like they did yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Just to make it very clear. Any attempts to provoke/bait/flame/insult will get an appropriate mod response.

By all means have some banter and debate, but people coming into threads with the sole intention of winding up other posters will find themselves being carded and/or banned.

If it turns out that the same names keep popping up trying to bait/flame/troll in various threads, then long term or permanent forum bans may be needed.

Folks who react in an OTT fashion will also draw mod attention.

So there it is again folks, an inthread warning. Heed it and things go smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Think we will need to be patient with Ramsey's return. Given the setback he had already he will probably only play a subs role and a couple of 65 minute performances. Realistically we needed him back yesterday for some game time to have him anyways right for the big games. Best we can hope is that he is up to speed for City and Everton on. I think the next 4 games come too early for him.

Wenger definitely deserves criticism yesterday. But as mentioned already Sagna, Podolski, Wilshere, Rosicky and Giroud were all way below par. There comes an element of personal responsibility there too.

An FA Cup win next week and a favourable draw in terms of avoiding Man City might put some optimism back.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Imagine Greizmann on the left, Ox on the right and Theo up top, Ozil would have a field day.

You're not gonna win major honours with that attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

bad2dabone wrote: »
    i dont see why morons people have an issue with celebrating overhauling your local rivals for a very important CL spot on the last day of the season.
    if united got 4th this year on the last day im sure they'd be delighted. if spurs pipped arsenal or liverpool to 4th im syre theyd be delighted too. it took a massive effort from the team last season to get that spot, and they were entitled to be happy about it.

Yeah that was last season though.

I'm wondering will we see the players celebrate a top 4 finish in the same manner this season.

This attitude is nonsensical. Who would you replace him with? Would that person new more likely to bring success?

A manager should be replaced not because of how disappointing a period of a few months went, but rather because someone else will do a better job going forward. Wenger has shown vast improvement in the team in the last year, and if it weren't for Ramsey and Walcott's injuries we might be to of the league and favourites right now. We have only had one summer with money to spend and we got one of the best midfielders in the world, and why do you think he was happy to come here? Arsene Wenger had a huge role in that, I'd bet. Another summer and we'll probably have more top players, and be in a great position for next season.

Nobody expected us to be challenging for the league this year. That we have been is fantastic, and it's been the best season I've experienced as a fan in years. You or anyone else wanting to sack Wenger on some bullshit principle of "he hasn't won anything" are talking out of the wrong hole.

This Summer will be yet another 'what if' as Wenger and Arsenal are too indecisive in the market. Ozil was a great buy but was ultimately opportunistic - our plan was to get a top striker which we failed to do and luckily Madrid were happy to move Ozil on to help cover some of Bale's cost and they chose Di Maria over Mesut.

Wenger rarely ever does enough in the transfer windows, there's always some glaring holes not rectified - striker since RVP left, goalkeeper for 5 years until Szczesny finally improved, defence for a number of years.

If Ramsey and Walcott were fit....blah blah, Walcott went down at the start of Jan, Ramsey in late December if i'm not mistaken. Wenger chose to do nothing in January so IF IF isnt really good enough. We knew both werent gonna be contributing for a while(or at all in theos case). Failure on Wengers part. A small time mentality is to say that we werent expecting to win this or that so lets be happy. He bought a fat, crocked, washed up Kallstrom in Jan who was decent back in 2006.

I can already hear the excuses in the Summer as to why we arent going heavy in the market .......World Cup year, not enough top players available etc etc.

If we win nothing this year, that will be 9 years. No matter how we dress that up, it's not good enough. FA Cup is massive in the coming weeks, I'll be fuming if Wenger makes changes for that with the dead rubber Bayern game to come after. I still rate Arsene as a v good coach but have SERIOUS doubts about him winning stuff ever again. Our big game record in recent years is horrible, his subs happen too late, the team gets stifled too easily against good sides.

Giroud and Sanogo as striker options is simply pitiful. Liverpool have two better strikers than us, that shouldnt be happening.

As for Wilshere, well I just don't know. This kid has everything to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Santi101 wrote: »
    You're not gonna win major honours with that attack.

You'd probably have said that about an attack of Suarez,Sturridge and Coutinho 18 months ago (or even a year ago). Now there wouldn't be much doubt that it's very possible.

Who would you rather us sign? And don't just say "a top striker", give a name, and one you think is possible, or shut up.

Chelsea look like winning major honours without a striker capable of scoring goals. There's no fixed formula for success.

hangeland out of Fulham for our 4th CB? will come cheap when they are relegated and could be Per's backup.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement