Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvemail wrote: »
    No fight at all from them. Don't think we won any 50-50 or a header for that matter.

Jack was walking around in midfield when we were a goal down and making no effort to get forward. Particularly disappointed with him yesterday.
    He gave away a stupid free kick after about 5 minutes and his passing was very poor. Ramsey can't come back quick enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Raf32 wrote: »
    Im not slating Giroud at all, love his work ethic and his general link up play, He is being asked an impossible job leading the line for a full season with no backup and that has to fall on Arsene.

This.

Everyone name the big men playing the lone striker position that have won leagues.

I run out after Drogba.

You can't win a league with Giroud and five fairly slow CMFs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why wasn't Flamini playing on Saturday? He always injects passion and seems to spread it around the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Why wasn't Flamini playing on Saturday? He always injects passion and seems to spread it around the team.

Good question alright. you would imagine he would have been ideal for this.

Many posters expected Flamini to start instead of Arteta and said so before the game.
    Arteta did ok though but as you say Flamini is a leader and shouts at other players who are not putting in the effort.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    This.

Everyone name the big men playing the lone striker position that have won leagues.

I run out after Drogba.

I agree 100%. I think our team is built around Walcott in particular being a big part of the success of this team and Ramsey's form this season too.

I also accept we needed to strengthen when both got injured. I also however understand how January works and do accept we tried but failed to get the required replacements. That's football. I expect Wenger to cover that in the summer. Anything else would be shocking.

In a positive or negative sense?

He was getting stick and the point was made he is not up to it. I don't think he should be our top striker in an ideal world but he is punching above his weight. The facts are he is scoring and assisting as a lone front man in the top 5 in the League. Those are the facts. He shares those stats with Suarez, Hazard and Toure whether it sounds silly or not those are the facts of the season so far.

My underlying point is that we put in a terrible performance on Saturday that is largely down to our midfield and we go back and blame it on not signing a better striker in January. We created 1 good chance. That has to improve dramatically.

It's just rediculous in every sense.

Giroud misses some good chances for us. But then he maybe needs a rest. Then there's the issue of the team around him.
    Talking about all of this makes sense but comparing him to random amazing midfielders and wingers doesn't.

Edited: none of this was directed at you SJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

This.

I run out after Drogba.

In fairness to Giroud he was excited with the news Suarez might join him.

Giroud is not the problem, he just needs a partner, someone next to him to do the things he can't.Suarez should have been this partner, but we bought Ozil even though his type wasn't needed.

Even Henry would have struggled without Dennis.

Not comparing Giroud to Henry btw, he's more Dennis, we don't have an Henry.

It's just rediculous in every sense.

Giroud misses some good chances for us. But then he maybe needs a rest. Then there's the issue of the team around him.
    Talking about all of this makes sense but comparing him to random amazing midfielders and wingers doesn't.

I get ya. I only mentioned the stats in terms of goals and assists and he is in these players company. In terms of a comparable footballer?? Crazy indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I don't think anyone doesn't rate Giroud or unhappy with him its just that we are unhappy its JUST Giroud. He is a more than capable striker just not enough to carry us over the line by himself, that takes a very very special player.

• Advertisement

Raf32 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone doesn't rate Giroud or unhappy with him its just that we are unhappy its JUST Giroud. He is a more than capable striker just not enough to carry us over the line by himself, that takes a very very special player.

True and I couldn't understand why Wenger brought on Sanogo yesterday. We then had two Girouds when the obvious substitution was to bring on Gnabry on the left. At least he can take on people on the ground and maybe create chances or get a penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

True and I couldn't understand why Wenger brought on Sanogo yesterday. We then had two Girouds when the obvious substitution was to bring on Gnabry on the left. At least he can take on people on the ground and maybe create chances or get a penalty.

Not often I agree with ya but think your right here

Yeah, weird alright.

I feel sorry for Giroud though. He must look at the teamsheets when they come out and think 'right, that's the front post runs out, maybe at least Bac will put in a cross'

Think it was just desperation stuff at this stage. Stoke had their goal. We needed more bodies in the box and Sanogo is a striker. Getting bodies in the box has been our weakness so it was a logical move in my opinion. Nearly vindicated too.

Stoke had 11 men behind the ball. We were unlikely to play through them. In fact we weren't able to do so when they defended without something to hold onto. Can't say it was a mad call. Bringing on another striker when you are 1-0 down with ten minutes left is a fair move.

Not starting Ox or Flamini is much more a cause of debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Podolski would have buried that chance that Sanogo lofted over the bar yesterday

greendom wrote: »
    Podolski would have buried that chance that Sanogo lofted over the bar yesterday

Would have been on his wrong foot but they should be hitting the target from there in fairness. Podolski missed a good chance in the first half too as did Cazorla.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Would have been on his wrong foot but they should be hitting the target from there in fairness. Podolski missed a good chance in the first half too as did Cazorla.

Cazorla took a nothing shot when he should have put in Pod too. Decision making was all over the place.

perhaps nothing as clear cut as that one though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

This place is ridiculous.

No Theo or Rambo. We did well, led the league, now it's caught up with us.

No RVP or Rooney for Man U. F*cked it and now probably not going to make cl.

Sense of perspective people!

I think folk are angry that yet again we were in a strong position to win the league and have fell at the final hurdle for whatever reason. If it hadn't of been for the fact its been 9 years since we won a trophy I highly doubt the reaction to yesterday defeat would of been so bad.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I think folk are angry that yet again we were in a strong position to win the league and have fell at the final hurdle for whatever reason. If it hadn't of been for the fact its been 9 years since we won a trophy I highly doubt the reaction to yesterday defeat would of been so bad.

I think its more the manner of the defeat. It was not glorious.
    Some of the players did not give 100%.
    Neither did the manager.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »

You know things are bad when Arsenal football club have to rely on an unproven French kid to get you goals, and without wanting to be too harsh on the lad he looks totally out of his depth, reminds me of another Boa Morte or Wreh. Cant see him making the grade with us.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You know things are bad when Arsenal football club have to rely on an unproven French kid to get you goals, and without wanting to be too harsh on the lad he looks totally out of his depth, reminds me of another Boa Morte or Wreh. Cant see him making the grade with us.

To soon to call, the club has a pretty good record with unproven French kids. Amazing how it's like his good performances against Liverpool and bayern have been erased from people's memory after a cameo against stoke.

I think its more the manner of the defeat. It was not glorious.
    Some of the players did not give 100%.
    Neither did the manager.

Once I seen the team sheet before the game I knew we were in trouble. We are so predictable and easy to defend against.

Bit soon to be jumping to that conclusion

Mickeroo wrote: »
    To soon to call, the club has a pretty good record with unproven French kids.

Anelka is the only one that springs to mind, and he showed a hell of a lot more in his early days than Sanogo has, Anelka had blistering pace that would scare the living daylights out of defenders and was one of the very best finishers in Europe, Sanogo just looks gangly and awkward when he runs, doesnt look that pacey at all.

Anelka is the only one that springs to mind, and he showed a hell of a lot more in his early days than Sanogo has, Anelka had blistering pace that would scare the living daylights out of defenders and was one of the very best finishers in Europe, Sanogo just looks gangly and awkward when he runs, doesnt look that pacey at all.

Ah stop now how do we no what sanogo can and can't do

Ya can't write off a mans career after 3 games

He's not pacey because he's not that type of player, though he's faster than Giroud. Yes he's raw but he played very well against Bayern and Liverpool his only 2 starts. Hard to show up when you haven't been in the squad. You're unfairly jumping to conclusions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Was away last night and have a feeling reading back over the last ten or so pages wont be pleasant reading so think I'll give it a miss.

Yesterdays result still stings roll on the next match and hopefully a muh better performance.

Surely Wenger must see and realise what we all realise that we do need either Gnabry or Ox to be starting every game with a load of players all looking to play the killer ball rather than be on the end of it just makes us so one dimensional.

Giroud can't be blamed at all for yesterday he was isolated was only when Ox came on started running at there defence and making things happen did we apear to have any kind of threat.

I never wrote off his career im just saying I dont think he will make the grade with us, I do hope im wrong and he turns out to be the next Henry but he hasn't really impressed me if im been totally honest. We should of just paid the extra 3 or 4 million for Higuain now that fella is a proper centre forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sure if we done that Henry never would have made it at Arsenal nor would have Bergkamp and countless others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I feel depressed and jaded with the team. No sense of urgency to win that game on Saturday. It was shocking. Not good enough if you want the league title. We didn't even have a spell where we were on top for ten minutes. Brutal stuff.

I can understand why Wenger stuck with that team after the previous week but his reluctance to change it when we were so sh*te was bewildering.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭flyingoutside

The worst thing by miles is that we don't look like a team that are trying to win the league. There's no passion bar a few players like BFG and Flamini. You'd swear we were down and out when watching the players so you can't really blame the fans for feeling the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'm not upset as many on here cause I sadly knew we couldn't win the title with Giroud as our lead striker, he's simply isn't good enough to be a lead striker for a League winning team. It's depressing not his fault but Wenger's for not wanting to spend on the right position's during the summer. That's why Liverpool are doing so well they have Suarez and Sturridge, knocking goals in every week for them. How a top 4 team doesn't have a world class finisher in their team is shocking. Chelsea get away with it cause they have Hazard, Lampard, Schurrle, Oscar knocking in goals while Eto and Torres chip in with a few while they have world class Defensive midfielders and leaders in their squad like Terry and Lampard. Chelsea will buy a top striker in the summer, Will Wenger, I somehow doubt it he will try to convert someone into one rather then going for the finished article.

We don't have a Plan B sadly. The big teams know how to play us sadly. We expected far too much out of Ozil to make us into a League winning team but not having Walcott or a Chamberlin playing every week we don't play to Ozil Strengths which is laying in great passes to players with pace. Losing Ramsey and Walcott has been a massive blow sadly, it's catching up to us now. Not having strength in depth like a Chelsea and City is slowly hurting us.

It's not going to be a pleasant few weeks for us Arsenal fan's. I can't see us beating City or Chelsea to be honest. Expect a Draw and a Defeat out of those games and from then on in us fighting with Liverpool, Everton and Spures for 3rd and 4th. The Spures and Everton games in the league will be mighty important. Here's hoping I'm wrong and we beat Chelsea and City and go on an amazing run but after that display on Saturday and since January we look very very average. No fight or desire to win.

Champions league is done and dusted for another year, doubt Munich will play like they did last year. F.A Cup is something we seriously need to take serious especially Wenger as it's the only way at this moment I see us winning any silverware. He should play his strongest side agaisn't Everton.

I'm hoping we do turn it around now, and go on an amazing run. At this moment in time, I take top 3 and winning the FA Cup. But we should get behind them and hopefully they prove us wrong.

The worst thing by miles is that we don't look like a team that are trying to win the league. There's no passion bar a few players like BFG and Flamini. You'd swear we were down and out when watching the players so you can't really blame the fans for feeling the same.
    I don't buy this for one second

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'm not upset as many on here cause I sadly knew we couldn't win the title with Giroud as our lead striker, he's simply isn't good enough to be a lead striker for a League winning team. It's depressing not his fault but Wenger's for not wanting to spend on the right position's during the summer. That's why Liverpool are doing so well they have Suarez and Sturridge, knocking goals in every week for them. How a top 4 team doesn't have a world class finisher in their team is shocking. Chelsea get away with it cause they have Hazard, Lampard, Schurrle, Oscar knocking in goals while Eto and Torres chip in with a few while they have world class Defensive midfielders and leaders in their squad like Terry and Lampard. Chelsea will buy a top striker in the summer, Will Wenger, I somehow doubt it he will try to convert someone into one rather then going for the finished article.

We don't have a Plan B sadly. The big teams know how to play us sadly. We expected far too much out of Ozil to make us into a League winning team but not having Walcott or a Chamberlin playing every week we don't play to Ozil Strengths which is laying in great passes to players with pace. Losing Ramsey and Walcott has been a massive blow sadly, it's catching up to us now. Not having strength in depth like a Chelsea and City is slowly hurting us.

It's not going to be a pleasant few weeks for us Arsenal fan's. I can't see us beating City or Chelsea to be honest. Expect a Draw and a Defeat out of those games and from then on in us fighting with Liverpool, Everton and Spures for 3rd and 4th. The Spures and Everton games in the league will be mighty important. Here's hoping I'm wrong and we beat Chelsea and City and go on an amazing run but after that display on Saturday and since January we look very very average. No fight or desire to win.

Champions league is done and dusted for another year, doubt Munich will play like they did last year. F.A Cup is something we seriously need to take serious especially Wenger as it's the only way at this moment I see us winning any silverware. He should play his strongest side agaisn't Everton.

I'm hoping we do turn it around now, and go on an amazing run. At this moment in time, I take top 3 and winning the FA Cup. But we should get behind them and hopefully they prove us wrong.

Ya mentioned Chelsea and how there ok cause of there midfielders
    I think we would have been grand has walcott and Ramsey stayed fit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ya mentioned Chelsea and how there ok cause of there midfielders
    I think we would have been grand has walcott and Ramsey stayed fit

Yep, but they didnt and we done zilch to rectify this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A bit disappointed that Arsene has gone down the Jonny Sexton route and has lost his balls when it comes to the big moments.

Shocking decision to not buy more players last summer. Shocking decision to not sign players in the January transfer window. Especially with Theo/Ramsey.

I think he expected Chelsea/City/Utd to be alot better than they are this season so he just put a squad together that could manage 4th place and had no earthly expectation that we would be leading the league for a large part of the season.

Opertunity missed imo.

Yep, but they didnt and we done zilch to rectify this problem.

Can't argue with ya there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Man City tickets on sale to Red Members now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Is there any chance we could cause an upset at the Allianz again? I think if we can nab the first goal it's all to play for. Or do you think Wenger has conceded the CL as a lost battle already? I'm strangely optimistic about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

A bit disappointed that Arsene has gone down the Jonny Sexton route and has lost his balls when it comes to the big moments.

Shocking decision to not buy more players last summer. Shocking decision to not sign players in the January transfer window. Especially with Theo/Ramsey.

I think he expected Chelsea/City/Utd to be alot better than they are this season so he just put a squad together that could manage 4th place and had no earthly expectation that we would be leading the league for a large part of the season.

Opertunity missed imo.
    Those 3 Heineken cup finals must not have been big moments :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

AdamD wrote: »

Yeah I was going to say. Sexton has a lot more in the trophy cabinet over the last few years than AW has.

Anyway this isn't the place for it; only in the Soccer Forum could you get someone comparing the starting Irish fly half in Rugby Union to a Premiership football manager. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

HazDanz wrote: »
    I can understand why Wenger stuck with that team after the previous week but his reluctance to change it when we were so sh*te was bewildering.
    I've been saying it for quiet some time now, but Wenger cannot alter the outcome of a game after it has started. His choice of substitutions are predictable and he does nothing to change the game at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Quazzie wrote: »
    I've been saying it for quiet some time now, but Wenger cannot alter the outcome of a game after it has started. His choice of substitutions are predictable and he does nothing to change the game at all.

Always made at the same time, always the same changes.

I get some people saying that a title challenge this season is an unexpected boost. But we've acted like it is. The opportunity to kick on and have a real go was not taken and thats the most disappointing element. Its a silly argument to say "well you tell me who we should have signed". Thats not our job. People are employed to find players. They've had 2 windows to find an alternative to Giroud and simply havent. Higuain was passed on as we didnt want to spend the money. As to those who say we spent it on Özil, there's no way we would have bought him if we'd got Higuain.

We've missed a real opportunity this season to have a decent tilt at the title. And thats hard to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

I have been too depressed to come near this thread after that performance on Saturday.

I am sure most are agreeing it was totally shocking. No urgency at all at such a crucial stage of the season.

Next weekend is crucial (well arent they all). I could handle not fully challenging at the end of the season as long as we won the FA Cup and didnt slip out of the top 4.
    I want to win something!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

lads, we're not going to beat City in the FA cup. I dunno if we'll even get past everton.

it'll be a 4th place trophy again for us this year. Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Hi all. First soccer post. Long time lurker and arsenal fan since mid 80s for my sins. Used to post on arsenal mania but disliked the perceived attitude that you aren't a proper supporter if you criticise the club or disagree with the mods ;-)

Anyway moving on........I'm concerned that we could be dragged into another race for 4th following our recent performance levels and unless we finish with a run similar to the end of last season i fear a title bid is beyond us. Yes we can do this but I feel city can only improve and with the confidence of a cup win I think they'll take the title. Chelsea will be close by and despite their similar striker issues I think their squad combined with Jose's tactical know how will ensure they'll challenge til the end. I keep saying liverpool will fade but they keep defying me! It just shows what a difference quality strikers can make to a fairly average squad. IF they beat city, Chelsea and spurs at home then I'd be surprised if they don't finish top as much as it pains me to say.

I hate to beat the drum but our failure to bring in a good striker during the summer, whatever about the shambles of the January window, will cost us as nearly every single gooner would have predicted. I pray to god I'm wrong but that all too familiar sinking feeling is setting in. Saturdays FA cup tie is now (another) must win it really is, not just to progress but to give another shot of confidence in the arm and to lift the team/support levels back to "believe" status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

bad2dabone wrote: »
    lads, we're not going to beat City in the FA cup. I dunno if we'll even get past everton.

it'll be a 4th place trophy again for us this year. Hopefully.

Ok good to know I guess i'll just stop watching our games now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Ok good to know I guess i'll just stop watching our games now...

don't be so negative! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

AdamD wrote: »

He was riding the crest of a wave in a fantastic Leinster team. My point still correct.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement