Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

shano_88 wrote: »
    Most definetly. Great news.

Michael ⚽ Gooner ‏@MickTheGooner 20m
    EXCELLENT NEWS: Aaron Ramsey back in full training & set to sign new five-year deal Arsenal, worth over £100k pw. (Guardian)

after half a good season from him in his whole time at arsenal. considering many would have had him gone last summer. is that really good news?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Paulegend wrote: »
    after half a good season from him in his whole time at arsenal. considering many would have had him gone last summer. is that really good news?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

There is no midfield the the Premier league that he wouldn't improve. We need to hold onto him - fantastic news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Or you could put a different spin on it, he was terrific when he first arrived after we beat United to his signature then sadly had his leg broken were he came back and persevered until he regained his confidence and form showing strength of character and amazing ability on the pitch to earn himself a new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Or you could put a different spin on it, he was terrific when he first arrived after we beat United to his signature then sadly had his leg broken were he came back and persevered until he regained his confidence and form showing strength of character and amazing ability on the pitch to earn himself a new contract.

I think Marty has it nailed

im a Ramsey fan i wanted liverpool to sign him when he was first linked with ye. i just think its crazy how quick wages go up. its like rooney is on 300k a week now........................ wow just wow. or Sterling went from a boy with talent on very little and then he was being paid 35k a week. this season he is proving its worth but last season when he signed i couldnt get over how much an unproven kid was getting.

just a little shocked to see Ramsey get 100k a week. when you dnt think about the cash though its a great contract signing. he has probably overtaken Wilshere this season to the future captain status

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

he has probably overtaken Wilshere this season to the future captain status

The next arsenal captain in the summer should be Mertesacker, regardless of whether vermaelen stays or goes

im a Ramsey fan i wanted liverpool to sign him when he was first linked with ye. i just think its crazy how quick wages go up. its like rooney is on 300k a week now........................ wow just wow. or Sterling went from a boy with talent on very little and then he was being paid 35k a week. this season he is proving its worth but last season when he signed i couldnt get over how much an unproven kid was getting.

just a little shocked to see Ramsey get 100k a week. when you dnt think about the cash though its a great contract signing. he has probably overtaken Wilshere this season to the future captain status

You have to look at it from the clubs point of view though, I know the money is atronomical but that's just footballers wages these days putting that aside.

The club has a player who was arguably the best player in the league up until he got injured this season he was in amazing form, they know that's the kind of form that attracts unwanted attention what better way to stop the players head from turning and keeping them happy by giving them a bumper pay rise and it also ties them down to a long term deal keeping interest at bay for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

and suarez went up to 200k a week after being unsettled. Players get payrises if they are an asset to the club that the club wants to retain.
    Rooney - ridiculous wages, but united feel they need to keep him. Madness in my opinion to pay him that kind of money till he's 33.
    Sterling - his pay now reflects that he's a regular first team player at liverpool and a valuable asset.
    Suarez - his pay rise reflects that he's liverpools greatest asset and they want to keep him and to the player it shows this, and it takes an incentive to move off the table - i.e he's not going to be moving for more cash
    and Ramsey, again he's a huge asset to arsenal with a considerable market value, a new contract shows the player he's valued and recognises his worth to the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Nobody wanted him gone last summer, he was brilliant from last Febuary.

He also hasn't only had "half a good season".

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Ramsey has been our best midfielder for around a year now. Also, he's 23, not 17. It's hardly that ridiculous a contract. Had we offered him 60/70k, you know well City or Chelsea would easily double that. We've lost so many of best players due to contract issues so if we want to maintain a title challenge for the next few years we have to offer our best players similar contracts to what our rivals would pay them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Horsesh1t like this really makes me wonder why I ever bother reading boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

It is fantastic news. Ramsey always had it. Wenger knew that and had more patience than anyone else.

The big fear was that he would never reach his potential after his break. It took a long time. Once he has the confidence back Wenger knows he can consistently be as good as he has been the past year.

Excellent piece of business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Could we see Ramsey make an appearance for the Tottenham game?

Maybe even a run out for the FA CUp, depending how we're faring.

If Ramsey is able to hit his stride in time for the Chelsea game, I am oddly optimistic we could raise a few eyebrows with some nice surprises.
    Rise Aaron rise!

he's an admirable guy, a double bone break must be hard to come back from. Fair play to him.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    and suarez went up to 200k a week after being unsettled. Players get payrises if they are an asset to the club that the club wants to retain.
    Rooney - ridiculous wages, but united feel they need to keep him. Madness in my opinion to pay him that kind of money till he's 33.
    Sterling - his pay now reflects that he's a regular first team player at liverpool and a valuable asset.
    Suarez - his pay rise reflects that he's liverpools greatest asset and they want to keep him and to the player it shows this, and it takes an incentive to move off the table - i.e he's not going to be moving for more cash
    and Ramsey, again he's a huge asset to arsenal with a considerable market value, a new contract shows the player he's valued and recognises his worth to the team.

yea suarez has been offered 200k a week from next season. he is on 150k a week until the end of this season. in a year where he has been standout. having a player on 200k a week that is competing with ronaldo messi cavani ibra falcao and so on as the best striker in the world seems modest in comparison to all of their wages.

sterling went from around 10k a week to 35k a week and then disappeared. he done feck all to justify his wage until he got back into the team before christmas. until then it was a joke having him on so much.

i was just saying that Ramsey on 100k a week is amazing. i dont think he is a 100k a week player but im an opposing fan i would say that. i think that he is a great player but is he better than mccarthy, henderson, hell even cazorla?? because his wage says he is. i personally dont think he is

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Horsesh1t like this really makes me wonder why I ever bother reading boards.

not everyone will agree with each other. if they did this would be a boring place.

noone agrees with my sentiment and thats fine. i agree with what they are saying. i just put the question out there and the response is a good argument

i think footballers are paid way too much and that includes my precious little suarez and co. i personally think there should be a wage cap. surely that would make more sense than the current ffp. if clubs where only allowed to spend 50 million a year on players wages it would create a level playing field. instead of mega rich clubs like city united and chelsea you would have clubs like newcastle villa and everton competing at the very top. every season would be unpredictable. but that would never happen as the rich clubs like even arsenal and liverpool would not want to risk their spots in teh top half of the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Just think of it as Stuart Downing's Liverpool wage + 20k extra cause Ramsey is good.

Then piss off back to your own thread and stop trying to wind people up in here.

Basically every few days you come in and post something stupid to try and start something.

Then people here say 'no that's stupid' and you come back and say something retarded like 'oh no I like Ramsey, I'm just thinking about wages in general'.

not everyone will agree with each other. if they did this would be a boring place.

It's not that we're not agreeing with you, it's the fact that what you're saying about Ramsey is completely and utterly wrong, and if you watched him over the last year you wouldn't be saying what you are.

i was just saying that Ramsey on 100k a week is amazing. i dont think he is a 100k a week player but im an opposing fan i would say that. i think that he is a great player but is he better than mccarthy, henderson, hell even cazorla?? because his wage says he is. i personally dont think he is

Wo wo wo now come on he was miles better than all of them up until he got injured as I said at the start of this season he was the best player in the league . McCarthy, Henderson wouldn't have even been good enough to tie his shoelaces.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Just think of it as Stuart Downing's Liverpool wage + 20k extra cause Ramsey is good.

Then piss off back to your own thread and stop trying to wind people up in here.

Basically every few days you come in and post something stupid to try and start something.

Then people here say 'no that's stupid' and you come back and say something retarded like 'oh no I like Ramsey, I'm just thinking about wages in general'.

stop getting all aggravated. im not saying anything that should wind anyone with any intelligence up. its a simple fact that footballers are paid a lot. Downing was overpaid by about 80k a week at liverpool.

im not being some bully im not being mean to you. relax. i asked a stupid question ffs and you get your nickers up in a twist. i agreed with some of your not so quickly triggered threadys so grow up and stop being such a child.

fyi this is a footballing discussion related to a footballer of this team. i am allowed to post here and your not allowed to tell me not to. im not trying to piss anyone off but if i have pissed you off then maybe you should go and have a little time out instead of getting offended about something so stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

gosplan wrote: »

He's winding people up in there too. And the other superthreads. He's consistent, I'll give him that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

From a Liverpool fan Aaron Ramsey signing a new deal and getting a pay rise is great business by arsenal . The guy is a pure talent and arsenal need to hold onto players like him .

Wo wo wo now come on he was miles better than all of them up until he got injured as I said at the start of this season he was the best player in the league . McCarthy, Henderson wouldn't have even been good enough to tie his shoelaces.

but my point was is he a better player than them? i wont even mention henderson because he is a liverpool player and i dont want to be accused of bias

but mccarthy has been great for everton in center mid. cazorla has done more in arsenals mid than ramsey in both of their careers.

thats where my comparison is aimed

but my point was is he a better player than them? i wont even mention henderson because he is a liverpool player and i dont want to be accused of bias

but mccarthy has been great for everton in center mid. cazorla has done more in arsenals mid than ramsey in both of their careers.

He is miles better than Henderson and McCarthy that's not even debatable.

People debating Xavi or Iniesta etc yes there is a case for both.

But Henderson or Mc Carthy whilst good players being on the same level as Ramsey is laughable to be honest.

Cazorla on this seasons form is behind Ramsey as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Honestly guys have you not copped on to this by now, why give him so much air time

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    Honestly guys have you not copped on to this by now, why give him so much air time

wtf are you on about?

what have i said that is aparantely winding anyone up??

what that i questioned Ramsey? so what. if you dont agree just say. the others have and im starting to agree with them. im not f*cking saying that arsenal just should sell him for nothing ffs. im just having a conversation and every so often people like up chirp in with this winding people up crap. i mean come on are you in school ffs? give it a rest. if you dont like what im saying you dont need to reply. if you dont agree with what im saying then do reply.

if anyone here really thinks that ive been trying to wind people up just give me one real example. if its nothing something as dumb as actually talking about something you didnt agree with then ill leave. if it actually looks like ive been trying to wind people up then ill leave. also if its something ive been warned about or banned for it doesnt count :)

otherwise grow up. if you think if winded you up in the past just pm me and ill apologies. im just trying to talk about football ffs and not listen to little kids whinge about the big bully going around saying mean things.

i am honestly just here to discuss football so just give me a chance to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

wtf are you on about?

what have i said that is aparantely winding anyone up??

what that i questioned Ramsey? so what. if you dont agree just say. the others have and im starting to agree with them. im not f*cking saying that arsenal just should sell him for nothing ffs. im just having a conversation and every so often people like up chirp in with this winding people up crap. i mean come on are you in school ffs? give it a rest. if you dont like what im saying you dont need to reply. if you dont agree with what im saying then do reply.

if anyone here really thinks that ive been trying to wind people up just give me one real example. if its nothing something as dumb as actually talking about something you didnt agree with then ill leave. if it actually looks like ive been trying to wind people up then ill leave. also if its something ive been warned about or banned for it doesnt count :)

otherwise grow up. if you think if winded you up in the past just pm me and ill apologies. im just trying to talk about football ffs and not listen to little kids whinge about the big bully going around saying mean things.

i am honestly just here to discuss football so just give me a chance to

You do this frequently though.

Throw out a comment that you know virtually everyone will totally disagree with and then act all innocent as if you are just here for a football debate.

ronjo wrote: »
    You do this frequently though.

Throw out a comment that you know virtually everyone will totally disagree with and then act all innocent as if you are just here for a football debate.

like when?

what comment are you annoyed about?

my comment this time isnt even just in relation to Ramsey. i mentioned that wages are crazy. hell you could even read my comment as me slating a liverpool player.

Ramsey is a great young player and ive stated that i like him. i then went on to say i just didnt think that he was a 100k a week player.

thats just an opinion. i can see why people dont like it as it sounds like im calling him sh1t to some of the more explosive threadies but im merely commentating on the amount and how crazy wages are rising.

if i was an arsenal fan i too would be delighted with the news. hell after some of the comments i think that it is great news for ye.

but my point boils down to something i was going to ask.

how long before a player gets 1 million a week??

i remember when Barnes became the first player on over 10k a week. everyone though liverpool where crazy paying those wages. that was less than 20 yaers ago and now rooney is getting 30 times that. i just wonder will a player ever get 1 million a week in our lifetime?

you can say im playing dumb if youd like but this was a genuine question and the response i got was because people over react thinking im calling ramsey sh1t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Is this actually a joke?

Aaron Ramsey has 13 goals in 27 appearances this season. From central midfield. Henderson has a mighty 4 in 33. McCarthy has0 in 27, it's not really his game but still. Aaron Ramsey is miles better than both of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

like when?

what comment are you annoyed about?

Id say if this question was asked across the majority of the soccer threads the same response more or less would come back

Aaron Ramsey has 13 goals in 27 appearances this season. From central midfield. Henderson has a mighty 4 in 33. McCarthy has0 in 27, it's not really his game but still. Aaron Ramsey is miles better than both of them.

to be fair though i could throw similar stats up about wilshere but we all know that doesnt tell us how good he actually is

how long before a player gets 1 million a week??

a long time.

when 1 million quid is worth a whole lot less than it is now.

but seriously, Henderson and mccarthy better than ramsey?

Lunacy.

not saying hendo or mccarthy are bad players but ramsey has gone to the next level from them

wawaman wrote: »
    Id say if this question was asked across the majority of the soccer threads the same response more or less would come back

fair enough but the fact is when people here an unpopular opinion around here they tend to jump on the winding up bandwagon

just because your getting emotional about a subject doesnt mean someone is winding you up. football is emotional. sometimes people read something wrong and they get worked up. doesnt mean the author is trying to make you angry.

i dont know you and no offense but i dont give a toss about you. why would i try to wind you up??

jesus i say unpopular things in the liverpool thread it doesnt mean im winding them up

bad2dabone wrote: »
    a long time.

when 1 million quid is worth a whole lot less than it is now.

but seriously, Henderson and mccarthy better than ramsey?

Lunacy.

not saying hendo or mccarthy are bad players but ramsey has gone to the next level from them

i never said they where better than ramsey. i questioned how much better ramsey is than them.

as center mids id rate hendo right up there and with his injury record i think he will surpase most. im sure you would consider jack better than him but thats just opinions. like mine they have no real impact other than in our own reading of the game. one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think when you compared Ramsey to McCarthy or Henderson was when you slipped up...

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think when you compared Ramsey to McCarthy or Henderson was when you slipped up...

you mean 3 center mids who up until this year where not really looked at as scorers???

3 center mids who base their games on pressing high up the fields??

3 center mids who are around the same age??

is that where i slipped up?

and by that statement your agreeing that people are over reacting because they think im calling ramsey sh1t. im not i highly rate both hendo and mccarthy. mccarthy will go on to be one of irelands best midfielders no doubt

ramsey has scored more goals this season then others but that doesnt put him on another level all of a sudden. Hendo has played some amazing stuff but when i mentioned his name it is looked at as if im comparing ramsey to a championship player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

id consider mcarthy and henderson better than wilshere but behind ramsey

kevthegaff wrote: »

i dont think they are as good as ramsey. at least not as good as he has been this season and late last season. but i dont think they are a million miles off. but as i said i think im rating them a lot higher than most here and not rating ramsey lower as most here seem to think

you mean 3 center mids who up until this year where not really looked at as scorers???

3 center mids who base their games on pressing high up the fields??

3 center mids who are around the same age??

is that where i slipped up?

and by that statement your agreeing that people are over reacting because they think im calling ramsey sh1t. im not i highly rate both hendo and mccarthy. mccarthy will go on to be one of irelands best midfielders no doubt

ramsey has scored more goals this season then others but that doesnt put him on another level all of a sudden. Hendo has played some amazing stuff but when i mentioned his name it is looked at as if im comparing ramsey to a championship player

Man give it up you were doing ok and being a decent poster for once until you tried to compare Ramsey to Henerson and McCarthy imo your right though it not just his goals that makes him better it his all round play as well.

He is a few steps ahead of both again maybe on current form you could argue them to be on the same level as Wilshere but Ramsey seriously cop on. You're clearly on a wind up or stupid right now im not sure which it is.

Next you'll be comapring Bale and Ronaldo to Sterling and Young.

• Advertisement

same here, i like hendo, he's come on in leaps and bounds this season and I always like to see that.
    Wilshere has crazy good technical ability, but I think he's got a real attitude problem when facing adversity and he's got to review his decision making before he can make it to the next level.
    I hope he does sort his head out, because thats the thing holding him back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Can people not do what I did months ago and put that eejit on ignore? I don't want to waste another moment of my life reading his posts when people quote then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Thats only on this seasons form though.

If you asked people a year ago who was the best out of them four, Id imagine the majority would say Wilshere.

shano_88 wrote: »
    Thats only on this seasons form though.

If you asked people a year ago who was the best out of them four, Id imagine the majority would say Wilshere.

He is the best on talent. And he's shown it this season when he's played alongside Flamini. It's the other games that kill him. Plus Henderson/McCarthy haven't put MOTM performances against Barcelo....wait no, the whole Europe thing :pac:

He is the best on talent. And he's shown it this season when he's played alongside Flamini. It's the other games that kill him. Plus Henderson/McCarthy haven't put MOTM performances against Barcelo....wait no, the whole Europe thing :pac:

no they havent but they have put in good performances against city chelsea united and yerselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'm a massive Jack fan, and hes not had a great season, but McCarthy? Really? Even Henderson is a stretch, he'd look seriously out of place in our team, his technique is very average.

Before Pool fans stab me: hes having a great season, but he suits this year's Liverpool tactics a lot more than Arsenals, or even Liverpool's tactics from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ramsey when he first came on the scene I was so impressed, I thought he was an outstanding young talent. He broke his leg, then had a poor season and had an excellent start to this season. Like Henderson he has become a vital cog in the midfield for Arsenal and they are certainly missing him at the moment.
    Its pointless comparing Henderson with Ramsey they are both very different players. Henderson is the engine room in the Liverpool midfield, he brings relentless energy and work rate. Ramsey is a far more creative player and better goal scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,483 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I heard Liverpool fans say that about Gerrard too.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    I'm a massive Jack fan, and hes not had a great season, but McCarthy? Really? Even Henderson is a stretch, he'd look seriously out of place in our team, his technique is very average.

Before Pool fans stab me: hes having a great season, but he suits this year's Liverpool tactics a lot more than Arsenals, or even Liverpool's tactics from last year.

this is what i mean

Henderson is a better player than Jack but some will disagree. how is that any differnet than me saying that i dont think Ramsey is that much better than henderson??

I heard Liverpool fans say that about Gerrard too.

true but we could get into that game and mention loads of players in that case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement