Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Agree completely. Only have to look at last years final as a good example. Thats why I asked if Long and Jelavic were available.

We have to be beating Wigan. They are highly motivated, have this experience and are holders so it does close the gap but no excuses now.

You'll hardly begrudge us a trophy even if it means us going level on FA Cups with ye guys??!

No in fairness I would not begrudge Arsenal any trophy be it league, cup or whatever.

Wenger deserves it to be honest.

No in fairness I would not begrudge Arsenal any trophy be it league, cup or whatever.

Wenger deserves it to be honest.

Wenger does himself no favours tbh at times. Its like he tries to win the league against all of the odds.

I mean the Kallstrom signing, not using a sub against Chelsea, you could name a few things this season. The persistence with Giroud and then Sanogo whilst leaving Podolski on the bench. We need at least one more guy that can hit the net regularly.

I think Ramsey will be a huge addition in the run in coupled with Chamberlain. Both will keep defences honest.

Anyways.....a huge chance to win a trophy....but lessons from 2011 and the Brimingham horror need to be heeded. Ipswich gave us a warning that year that was ignored but hopefully hopefully well slam the door shut this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Wenger does himself no favours tbh at times. Its like he tries to win the league against all of the odds.

I mean the Kallstrom signing, not using a sub against Chelsea, you could name a few things this season. The persistence with Giroud and then Sanogo whilst leaving Podolski on the bench. We need at least one more guy that can hit the net regularly.

I think Ramsey will be a huge addition in the run in coupled with Chamberlain. Both will keep defences honest.

I think he has been overwhelmingly vindicated in keeping Pod benched. Particularly as a front man. Terrible hold up play and no threat in behind. As a lone striker Sanogo has shown much more.

Agree on Kallstrom but I have a weird feeling he is gonna contribute one amazingly meaningful moment to this season!
    Want Pod to deliver but doesnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Reasons to be excited
    We play Bayern this week.. woo go us!

We face our foes whose backline is in disarray after the Chelsea game, with a manager who has cast doubt on his sides ability to challenge for top four

Aaron Ramsey should be back this saturday. As will the mighty Kim, who might just turn out to be a wonder signing yet.
    Also we've seen the potential of a Ozil/ Cazorla combo in midfield. Now's a perfect time for them to click and find harmony together.
    Giroud has got his scoring boots firmly back on and confidence back up/

And we're in the FA semi final. So much excitement!!

I think he has been overwhelmingly vindicated in keeping Pod benched. Particularly as a front man. Terrible hold up play and no threat in behind. As a lone striker Sanogo has shown much more.

Agree on Kallstrom but I have a weird feeling he is gonna contribute one amazingly meaningful moment to this season!
    Want Pod to deliver but doesnt

"It's up for grabs now.......KALLSTROM....Right at the end" :D

25 years on from the day i fell in love with this wonderful football club as a 6 year old. Wouldn't it be just unreal ha ha :)

I dont agree re Sanogo/Podolski. I reckon Pod should get more chances in the team. He provides a quick interchange of feet whereas Sanogo and even Giroud to a certain degree are articulated lorries in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

even though at times its been disappointing, we're still having a very enjoyable season.
    We must beat wigan, 7th in the championship. Sure they deserve respect (and thanks!) for putting out city, but we've got to beat them.
    Then its on to the final. There are a lot of young determined lads in the squad, Ox, Jack, Rambo, Gibbs and older determined lads too - Mert, Arteta, Rosicky,Sagna, Flamini. Sagna and Flamini and Rosicky deserve a trophy. Some players who have experience of winning things and want to continue that, Santi, Giroud and Ozil for example.
    I've a good feeling about this FA Cup.

Reasons to be excited
    We play Bayern this week.. woo go us!

We face our foes whose backline is in disarray after the Chelsea game, with a manager who has cast doubt on his sides ability to challenge for top four

Aaron Ramsey should be back this saturday. As will the mighty Kim, who might just turn out to be a wonder signing yet.
    Also we've seen the potential of a Ozil/ Cazorla combo in midfield. Now's a perfect time for them to click and find harmony together.
    Giroud has got his scoring boots firmly back on and confidence back up/

And we're in the FA semi final. So much excitement!!

Jury is still out for me on Santi. Not saying he should run a hundred yards to win a ball but he should definitely do more within 5 yards of the ball.

Ox and Rambo are two fantastic youngsters. Brilliant attitudes and workrate. If there is justice in the world these two fantastic classy young men will sweep all before them in football and hopefully at Arsenal football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I will be absolutely heartbroken if we dont win this cup now, Birmingham still plays in the mind but this would hurt much more. Really need this.

• Advertisement

bad2dabone wrote: »
    even though at times its been disappointing, we're still having a very enjoyable season.
    We must beat wigan, 7th in the championship. Sure they deserve respect (and thanks!) for putting out city, but we've got to beat them.
    Then its on to the final. There are a lot of young determined lads in the squad, Ox, Jack, Rambo, Gibbs and older determined lads too - Mert, Arteta, Rosicky,Sagna, Flamini. Sagna and Flamini and Rosicky deserve a trophy. Some players who have experience of winning things and want to continue that, Santi, Giroud and Ozil for example.
    I've a good feeling about this FA Cup.

Yeah i suppose to be fair the last final we hadnt the same dynamic as we have now and we have matured alot but i still believe we should throw caution to the wind.

Great time for Wigan as a Football club and while DW divides opinion i actually like him.

When we played a fast urgent game yesterday we were sensational. We cut Everton to ribbons. Granted they were chasing the game to a certain degree but after going 1-0 up we should have put them to the sword. Makes me wonder why we only see glimpses of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

"It's up for grabs now.......KALLSTROM....Right at the end" :D

25 years on from the day i fell in love with this wonderful football club as a 6 year old. Wouldn't it be just unreal ha ha :)

I dont agree re Sanogo/Podolski. I reckon Pod should get more chances in the team. He provides a quick interchange of feet whereas Sanogo and even Giroud to a certain degree are articulated lorries in that regard.

I think Pod has gotten his chances up front though andcant cut it. Few games last year and Cardiff this year demonstrated that. I want him to succeed" really do but think Wenger is right on this one. We also need patience with Sanogo.

Surely if we can argue that Ozil (a world class experienced player) needed time to adapt then we can say the same for a 20 year old striker who has started 3 times against very good sides so far and performed very well?

Sanogo deserves a bit of time, he's hard working and game and as long as you're a worker you deserve a bit of time to the let the talent show.

Just wanted to throw this in:

from Caught Offside
    Like a chess player always thinking two moves ahead, Ozil anticipates the game, finding space to run into and playing passes other footballers might not see.

A classic example is for Olivier Giroud’s second goal and Arsenal’s fourth.

Before Ozil even receives the ball, he directs the Frenchman on where he should run.

The German knows that when he takes up possession, Everton’s defender John Stones has to close him down, vacating the space behind him.

That is where Ozil tells Giroud to move towards, and it works perfectly, exposing Everton in a brilliant team goal.

ShowyFairBluefintuna.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jaysus lads, I go away for one weekend, and the sporting world is turned upside down.

I expected a close Arsenal - Everton game, 4-1 to the gunners.
    I expected a close Ireland - Italy game, Total Demolition.
    I expected a close Dublin - Kildare game, 10 point win.

And best of all, I expected a Man City demolition, Wigan win!

I should go away on romantic breaks more often

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

CatInABox wrote: »
    Jaysus lads, I go away for one weekend, and the sporting world is turned upside down.

Not sure but at a minimum you should stay away from the fcukin bookies.

I think Pod has gotten his chances up front though andcant cut it. Few games last year and Cardiff this year demonstrated that. I want him to succeed" really do but think Wenger is right on this one. We also need patience with Sanogo.

Surely if we can argue that Ozil (a world class experienced player) needed time to adapt then we can say the same for a 20 year old striker who has started 3 times against very good sides so far and performed very well?

Good points. You'd have to wonder though was the service good enough for Pod on that day but i suppose the big man up top has his back to goal whereas you imagine Pod more of a lad that gets on the loose ball and takes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Watched the City Wigan game in the quays on holloway road today. The cheer when full time was blown was huge. This means so much. It may be counting chickens but the lift this has given the place is unreal.

The drought hopefully is over; it is ours to lose.

I am looking forward to the club having to make room for a new banner! :-)

CatInABox wrote: »

Whoever this woman is you should marry her. Shes a keeper......actually hold on...... Tipp lost badly in the hurling.....dont commit just yet :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Whoever this woman is you should marry her. Shes a keeper......actually hold on...... Tipp lost badly in the hurling.....dont commit just yet :)

:)

Way ahead of you there, 4th of July :)

Has no interest in Arsenal, or football to be honest, but totally indulges me when I talk sport to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Highlights on ITV now to enjoy again.

Jury is still out for me on Santi. Not saying he should run a hundred yards to win a ball but he should definitely do more within 5 yards of the ball.

I think he's getting better though, it was him for example who robbed deulofeu on the edge of our box for the break out 4th goal yesterday.
    I think Wenger might have had a word with him and ozil, Ozil tracking back yesterday was great to watch. He was magnificent. the ball to set Ox through from which he won the peno was class too.

• Advertisement

I think he's getting better though, it was him for example who robbed deulofeu on the edge of our box for the break out 4th goal yesterday.
    I think Wenger might have had a word with him and ozil, Ozil tracking back yesterday was great to watch. He was magnificent. the ball to set Ox through from which he won the peno was class too.

But thats the thing. Santi is fantastic when we are up by 2 or 3 goals but when we are 1 down he is very lacklustre vis a vie Stoke last week

But thats the thing. Santi is fantastic when we are up by 2 or 3 goals but when we are 1 down he is very lacklustre vis a vie Stoke last week

yeah thats very true, i've definitely noticed that. It's a worrying trait he has and he's not the only one. It's why we need maybe another leader/motivator along the lines of Mertesacker/Flamini on the pitch.
    I don't think Ramsey has that kind of leader personality, he's a quiet guy.
    I used to think Jack could develop it but I think his attitude in adversity is poor at best. I do think that Ox has the persona to be a leader when he adds some more years to his career.

Ox has the ability to go down as one of our best ever imo. Has all the attributes.

(Probably getting way ahead of myself but he is so good at this age)

Raf32 wrote: »
    Ox has the ability to go down as one of our best ever imo. Has all the attributes.

Agree he's fast, direct, good on the ball, work rate is high, he's a goal threat, his attitude is top drawer, he's got great balance, physically strong, and he's a good lad too. He loses concentration a little but he's only just gone 20.

Such an honest lad. Super strength and super attitude. A credit to his parents and mentors. The bit of rugby definitely has shown the benefits with Ox. To come back as he has after doing the ACL is immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Let's stop this talk of the Cup is already won it's disrespectful to the other team's left and cocky. Wigan beat City at their home ground something we couldn't do. We must go out there agains't Wigan and play like we did agaisn't Spures and Everton, not take anything for granted and put 'em to the sword. I'm not getting carried away about Final's and winning the Cup until we beat Wigan. Then we can dream of winning things.

Tough two weeks coming up for our lad's. This is a make or break time. Bayern game is up in the air and no one is expecting us to win but let's give it a go and you never know. Spures will be up for us and they will give us a go. We must win that game. Swansea at home has got to be won, I expect a few player's rested for that. Kalstorm and Ramsey can get a run out in that game also Pod and Rocisky. Chelsea is the big one, we must not get beat that's for certain. A draw wouldn't be a disaster but a win would really set us up. I expect us to get 6 points, just can't see us keeping Chelsea out at home or getting a result sadly. We have to beat Spures and Swansea. Beaten City at home is a Must.

Apart from the Chelsea game, I'm confident we can get a top 3 finish not too sure we can go the rest of the season unbeaten sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Looper007 wrote: »
    Let's stop this talk of the Cup is already won it's disrespectful to the other team's left and cocky.

Who said its already won?

this guys back next week

Let's stop this talk of the Cup is already won it's disrespectful to the other team's left and cocky. Wigan beat City at their home ground something we couldn't do. We must go out there agains't Wigan and play like we did agaisn't Spures and Everton, not take anything for granted and put 'em to the sword. I'm not getting carried away about Final's and winning the Cup until we beat Wigan. Then we can dream of winning things.

Tough two weeks coming up for our lad's. This is a make or break time. Bayern game is up in the air and no one is expecting us to win but let's give it a go and you never know. Spures will be up for us and they will give us a go. We must win that game. Swansea at home has got to be won, I expect a few player's rested for that. Kalstorm and Ramsey can get a run out in that game also Pod and Rocisky. Chelsea is the big one, we must not get beat that's for certain. A draw wouldn't be a disaster but a win would really set us up. I expect us to get 6 points, just can't see us keeping Chelsea out at home or getting a result sadly. We have to beat Spures and Swansea. Beaten City at home is a Must.

Apart from the Chelsea game, I'm confident we can get a top 3 finish not too sure we can go the rest of the season unbeaten sadly.

No one is suggesting any walkovers but Looper and i agree with your 'put them to the sword' statement 100%. You gotta admit here though looper we have a an absolutely huge chance.

With a bit of tenacity on the occasion i think we can finally do it. Tbh though i don't think we can rest until the old cup is in Red/White Arsenal ribbons. But we shouldn't fear defeat rather then try and master victory instead. If we apply our credentials to their full potential then we can do it.

Ive nothing but respect for the remaining three teams but look it if we learn from past mistakes and those of City today then there is no reason why we cant end the drought. 2011 still lingers in the mind but we've come a long way since. Mert has provided us with huge leadership since where the likes of RVP, Clichy and Nasri had such huge egos that he had one eye on the exit door at all times instead of doing their duty to the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Let's stop this talk of the Cup is already won it's disrespectful to the other team's left and cocky.

Wha! Far from it! Arsenal fans, of all people, know the cup is certainly not already won. Looking at the remaining teams its definitely our best chance in recent years, but you dont have to be an arsenal fan to appreciate our ability to royally **** up golden opportunities. All arsenal fans ive talked to are optimistic about our chances but very very cautious about our history.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

mike65 wrote: »
    If Arsenal don't win a gong this season you'll be an embarrassment to yourselves and indeed all of us!.

Your post count is an embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Sanogo deserves a bit of time, he's hard working and game and as long as you're a worker you deserve a bit of time to the let the talent show.

Just wanted to throw this in:

from Caught Offside

ShowyFairBluefintuna.gif

I could watch that all day long.

I could watch that all day long.

I love the little wait wait hand gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭ronjo

Lads. what a difference a week makes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Who said its already won?

Come on its obvious who'll win. Sure Wigan only need to turn up. Current fa cup holders having bet man city in final, bet city again in quarters this year at fortress ethiad. No brainer really.

Arsenal have a mountain to climb but the Beauty of the fa cup means underdogs always have a chance ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

omega man wrote: »
    Come on its obvious who'll win. Sure Wigan only need to turn up. Current fa cup holders having bet man city in final, bet city again in quarters this year at fortress ethiad. No brainer really.

Arsenal have a mountain to climb but the Beauty of the fa cup means underdogs always have a chance ;-)

Piss off Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,467 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I thought Uwe Rosler got the tactics spot on yesterday against City. He used the same plan as Martinez used last year and again frustrated City.
    It's a pity Wenger couldn't devise a similar plan for away games at certain grounds instead of the one dimensional approach which saw us concede 11 goals at City and Pool.

Its never too late to learn Arsene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Good highlights of the game at the weekend. I'm pretty sure its the official F.A. Cup highlight page for youtube.

Anyone ever bet against Arsenal? Was looking at backing Bayern in our game against them but couldn't pull the trigger on it.

[quote="wandatowell;89388372

Anyone ever bet against Arsenal? Was looking at backing Bayern in our game against them but couldn't pull the trigger on it.[/quote]

Nah I couldn't do it. I did put 50 on Ireland to lose all 3 games in the euros. Easy money but felt wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

After the first penalty was disallowed for " encroachment" by giroud,

He does the same bloody thing for the second :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Good highlights of the game at the weekend. I'm pretty sure its the official F.A. Cup highlight page for youtube.

Anyone ever bet against Arsenal? Was looking at backing Bayern in our game against them but couldn't pull the trigger on it.

That 4th goal

2saf3fq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

ronjo wrote: »
    Lads. what a difference a week makes :D

it could turn ugly again this week

it could turn ugly again this week

I dont think too many would be upset if we go out tomorrow. As long as we play well and have a good response on Sunday.

I dont think too many would be upset if we go out tomorrow. As long as we play well and have a good response on Sunday.

when i mean ugly i mean getting hammer by both bayern and spurs this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

when i mean ugly i mean getting hammer by both bayern and spurs this week

Ah such positive vibes :pac:, can't see either happening.

• Advertisement

Ah such positive vibes :pac:, can't see either happening.

i couldnt see stoke beating us last week but look what happened.

im done being positive/optimistic.

i'l buy the next 10 people who quote this post a pint of beer at a pub near the emirates come May if we win the fa cup

Is it just me or has Ozil looked a lot happier in the last two games? really think he is settling now.

i'l buy the next 10 people who quote this post a pint of beer at a pub near the emirates come May if we win the fa cup

Woo hoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Why not a pub in dublin? Ya know its in that country we all live in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Is May the start date? I might go over to London around Oct/Dec, so if the offer extends past that.

I really want to go to see my first Arsenal game next season, and love all things London.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement