Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

dvemail wrote: »
    I like this one especially.

And thats a dive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Boskowski wrote: »
    And thats a dive?

Why, what would you say it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

dvemail wrote: »
    Why, what would you say it is?

Leave it alone. He clearly wasn't getting enough of a rise in the match thread so started posting in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

What is it with people coming into this thread for a clear wind up, nothing better to be doing, only last week we had a certain pool fan at the same carry On.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Look we're football fans and won't ever agree on this. If tonight's roles were reversed you'd be giving out about the Podolski push and you'd be calling the Robben penalty 'clear cut'. Thats just the way it is.

None of it matters anyway, Bayern were in full control of this at all stages and the better team went through. The rest is just noise and will be forgotten next week.

You really irritate me to no degree. If they were in clear control of this over all stages, then they've wouldn't have been on the backfoot for the first part of the game in the first leg until Ozil missed the penalty and then again tonight after Arsenal levelled, where Bayern were pushed back.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Leave it alone. He clearly wasn't getting enough of a rise in the match thread so started posting in here.

Bollix man, I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone. In fact I'm frequenting the Arsenal thread quite regularly as they're my adopted PL team for want of a better word. Just happens that today they played my actual team. Only looking for a bit of a measured view thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Bollix man, I'm not trying to get a rise out of anyone. In fact I'm frequenting the Arsenal thread quite regularly as they're my adopted PL team for want of a better word. Just happens that today they played my actual team. Only looking for a bit of a measured view thats all.

You support probably the best team in the world, you were the better team over two legs
    But too say robben is not a diver, well that's not a measured view at all

You really irritate me to no degree. If they were in clear control of this over all stages, then they've wouldn't have been on the backfoot for the first part of the game in the first leg until Ozil missed the penalty and then again tonight after Arsenal levelled, where Bayern were pushed back.

In the first leg Arsenal came out storming for what 10, 15 minutes and even before the penalty Bayern were already beginning to gain control. Tonight there were about 10 minutes where big IF Arsenal had scored again things may have gotten a little exciting. This is a CL knockout game its not like City playing Fulham with 85:15% possession. twop quality playing sides so of course its not 100% one way traffic when I say 'in control'. But that doesn't change the fact that Bayern didn't look like losing this for a single minute over the 180. Are you congratulating yourself now that you actually strung a few passes together for 15 minutes or so and call this 'being in the tie'?

Edit: I better check out now cos I don't want to make enemies here as I really like Arsenal, just not tonight.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Both times Robben went down in the box it was a dive for me, contact does not a foul make, neither dive affected the outcome of the match anyway so a big fat meh to that. Should also have been a free to Bayern for the Pod goal too. That's football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Someone actually thinks Robben is not a prolific diver. Incredible.

• Advertisement

Proud of the team.

Delighted to have the NLD straight after this.

Bring it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Jasus I love when people come in and spout verbal diarrhea.

Anyways it really is scary to think how good this team could be if we ever managed to get a fully fit squad together. Walcott and Ramsey have been massively missed, Ox has stepped up since returning from injury and really starting to show hints of what the future could hold for him.

If we can stay relatively free for a sustained period there is not one team out there we should fear we have the players to match any team with just one or two light touches in the summer to bring us on another level. Bayern aren't as great as the media makes them out to be imo I really do believe if we had not went down to ten men in the first leg they would be heading for exit door. But that's a huge what if.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Some of the tripe posted here and in the match threads is so epically dumb it hurts. My favourite is the eejit who's "entitled to his opinion" that arsenal are a league 1 side compared to bayern. Bayern are a great team but the gap between them isn't as big as one would think. And they've gained a propensity to hit the ground at the slightest hint of contact since pep took over. I still hope bayern win it but I preferred last season's iteration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Some of the tripe posted here and in the match threads is so epically dumb it hurts. My favourite is the spurs fan eejit who's "entitled to his opinion" that arsenal are a league 1 side compared to bayern. Bayern are a great team but the gap between them isn't as big as one would think. And they've gained a propensity to hit the ground at the slightest hint of contact since pep took over. I still hope bayern win it but I preferred last season's iteration.

To be honest I can't stand Pep Guardiola's style of football think watching paint dry is more entertaining much like Spain his tactic is bore the opposition into submission it can be dire to watch at times. Tika taka football is not total football to me.

Bayern of last year were a much more powerful looking team who played better football imo.

Also didn't see the match thread but sound like it was full of the usual crap we were the better team in the first leg until the sending off which ruined the tie and in the second leg yea they were the better team but still couldn't beat us for all there supposed superiority.

Our win record with Dean reffing is 15% in the last 20 Pl games he's reffed. If wenger was fergie he'd never ref another arsenal game again. He's a Crook.

That true?

That's a shocking stat tbh considering it's over a large number of games.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That true?

That's a shocking stat tbh considering it's over a large number of games.

Pretty sure it's true I got it from an opta guy who was defending him on Twitter as there were some who said that the recent record was 1w 9L and 6d. It's not quite that bad, but it's still a dreadful record.

Actually the record is that bad. Not to mention he was in charge of the Blackburn and Bradford cup games last year too. Which we lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Actually the record is that bad. Not to mention he was in charge of the Blackburn and Bradford cup games last year too. Which we lost.

In fairness we were sh1te for both cup ties last year. When you're missing sitters from two yards out youve no hope.

Worst Reffing display that still makes my blood boil was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM747L9Wf8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit, don't watch if you're in good form this morning.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    In fairness we were sh1te for both cup ties last year. When you're missing sitters from two yards out youve no hope.

true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

....And they've gained a propensity to hit the ground at the slightest hint of contact since pep took over....

Robben's first dive was a disgrace but Javier Martinez one when Santi "Bite Your Legs Off" Carzola was hassling him was every bit as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Roddy23 wrote: »

Worst Reffing display that still makes my blood boil was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM747L9Wf8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Edit, don't watch if you're in good form this morning.

Havent clicked on the link but unless its Mike Riley cheating us out of 50 games unbeaten I'm not interested.

Jesus this is just as pitiful as it is in any other club thread.

Lads ye wre great. Clearly cheated out of the quarter finals and only for that you'd surely go on to win the CL. Also ye're a fantastic side that can put anyone to the sword only for your being unbelievably unlucky with injuries and refs. You are the only true upholders of the spirit of the game. My heart goes out to ye.

Happy now ? This is so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭ronjo

Lads ye wre great. Clearly cheated out of the quarter finals and only for that you'd surely go on to win the CL. Also ye're a fantastic side that can put anyone to the sword only for your being unbelievably unlucky with injuries and refs. You are the only true upholders of the spirit of the game. My heart goes out to ye.

Yes, I agree.... Every Arsenal fan thinks we were better and deserved to win.

Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

No one denies Bayern deserve to go through. They made the most of the extra man at our place and did just about enough last night.

You cant deny Robben is a cheat though. He's well known for falling to the floor and his first dive last night should have seen him booked. Its grating to have to play a team that contains such a player. He has so much talent, but has to taint it by flinging himslef through the air at the slightest touch. Surely you can see how that would annoy the opposition?

I actually agree with Robben going down too easily and I don't like it myself.
    I just hate coming here being actually an Arsenal lover myself, saying something that isn't quite the party line and read about drivel and and dirrarhea like I must be some sort of retard. I know we're all individuals and just because two or three fans do this doesn't make all Arsenal fans super argumentative. I also know things can get a little heated just after a match. But still were all older than 15 now I thought.

• Advertisement

Anyway....

...NLD on Sunday.

Is Rambo back? Will Gibbs be back? I'd say we'll still have too much for them.

And Adebayor better not score!

Anyway....

...NLD on Sunday.

Is Rambo back? Will Gibbs be back? I'd say we'll still have too much for them.

And Adebayor better not score!

Beat them and Swansea them roll into Maureen's backyard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You'd swear it was actually debatable. He dived, we moaned about it. I don't recall anyone claiming Arsenal were even remotely close to deserving to win. It was pretty much plain sailing for Bayern from the red card onward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

But still were all older than 15 now I thought.
    And yet you're saying crap like this...

Sure you're not 15?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Robben's first dive was so blatant that it makes a mockery of the game. After he got away with that one I'd nearly give the team cart blanch to take turns kicking him until we have gone through the whole team and he now understands what a real foul is and has the bruises to prove it.

* obviously condoning persistent blatant fouling is wrong and I'd hate if we'd turn into that type of team, but I'd still like to see it ;)

• Advertisement

And yet you're saying crap like this...

Sure you're not 15?

Fair enough

And

I wish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Must say I've never seen that video of Riley before but there's some shockers in there alright, especially the penalty and not giving Rio a red. Neville should probably have gone too.

But what I actually came into this thread to ask was, what is the general opinion among Arsenal fans on Ozil? I know he was injured last night so we won't count that but generally what are the thoughts? He started off well but to me he's starting to look like he really hasn't the bottle for it. And I know its easy to say he's getting used to the league etc but it didn't take Mata, Willian, Silva, Cazorla etc any time to get used to the league really.

I reckon he looks a guy who's world class in a super team like Real but he just hasn't the mental toughness to really lead a less talented side. Maybe I'm being harsh on him?

Ozil is a supporting player. Probably the worlds best. It's not his fault if he has to work with players not at his level.

We wouldn't be having the ozil hate if Walcott and Rambo weren't injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Must say I've never seen that video of Riley before but there's some shockers in there alright, especially the penalty and not giving Rio a red. Neville should probably have gone too.

But what I actually came into this thread to ask was, what is the general opinion among Arsenal fans on Ozil? I know he was injured last night so we won't count that but generally what are the thoughts? He started off well but to me he's starting to look like he really hasn't the bottle for it. And I know its easy to say he's getting used to the league etc but it didn't take Mata, Willian, Silva, Cazorla etc any time to get used to the league really.

I reckon he looks a guy who's world class in a super team like Real but he just hasn't the mental toughness to really lead a less talented side. Maybe I'm being harsh on him?

There is no denying he isn't setting the world alight, but he isn't doing as bad as the press make it out to be either. When we play the bigger teams we often are so deep in our own half that when he does get the ball up the pitch he is left isolated and while trying to hold up the ball waiting for a teammate he inevitably loses it.
    I know we keep saying it but we just need more pace in this team. We see the difference The Ox makes with those runs, and the fact that we have no direct replacement for Walcott is terrible really.

Honest assessment

Steady first season not great but not shït

Will get a verdict on him next season

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's funny how the MoM performance against Everton 4 days ago doesn't factor into the Ozil criticisms.

I'm not a podolski fan we all no that

But he worked hard last night if he can keep that up he will be useful for the run in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I'm not a podolski fan we all no that

But he worked hard last night if he can keep that up he will be useful for the run in

Not a major fan of his myself but he did put a good shift in for us. The thing about Podolski is, is that he is just too slow to be a winger and not good enough to play as a lone striker.

Another point I wanted to raise is what was the story with Ryo travelling with the squad when he wasn't even eligible :eek: Embarrassing to say the least and gives the haters more ammo to fire at us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

But that doesn't change the fact that Bayern didn't look like losing this for a single minute over the 180. on't want to make enemies here as I really like Arsenal, just not tonight.
    So Bayern didn't look like losing for even a minute when we were clearly on top at home, even by your own admission, and we got a penalty that could've put us 1-0 up after 11 minutes. Even then they didn't look like losing the tie.

Jaysis there does be some level of shíte talked in this thread when opposition fans come in and try and educate us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I know stats aren't the be all and end all. But he as similar, if not better, stats to Mata, Hazard and Silva in their first seasons I believe.

He's been good but not great. The main thing that annoys me is this bullshit narrative that has appeared where people completely ignore his good performances and look for any fault they can (not directed at you).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Ozil is out for a few weeks with a hamstring problem. :eek:

Robben either gets a goal or the peno..... It takes nothing for him to go over. He was always injured when he played for the likes of Chelsea, if I recall correctly. That is all behind him now it looks like, as he is always playing. We had no possession last night in the first half and I was so bored watching the game.

We got the draw, away, against the best team in Europe, no matter the overall result. That to me is commendable. Now we need to beat Spurs, and the rest in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ozil had Ronaldo, Di Maria and Benzema to aim at in his Real Madrid days. Not quite the same calibre of player at Arsenal. Of course his stats would undoubtedly be better if Walcott had been fit for most of the season.

I think he's done well; his stats testify to that. He needs Walcott fit and generally better players in front of him to flourish.

I also think our Pivoté position really needs a signing in the summer, Mikel's legs are gone and Flamini isn't technically good enough to do it.

Word for Vermaelen too; excellent last night imo. A really top top pro too; the last year can't have been easy on him but he's said absolutely nothing; just got on with it and been there when called upon. I'll be sad to see him go in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ozil is never going to be a guy that goes out every match and blow away the opposition. If it goes his way he will take the game by the Scruff of the neck but if the opposition mark him out or make it hard to get the ball to him he's pretty much redundant on the field. I think many on here were expecting him to rip team's apart and score 20 goals a season but he's never going to be that type of player.

I also think not having anyone with speed up forward doesn't help either for Ozil. Hopefully Wenger will buy in a striker with pace during the summer.

Bayern games clearly show we have a great side that's just missing probably three top quality player's from making us a complete team. A top quality Striker, A commanding Defensive Midfield and a Winger with pace who can cross the ball would be nice.

Ox was amazing last night and Bayern couldn't handle him. It's amazing to think Ox and Ramsey are starting to look like world class talents while Wilshire sadly is regressing a little in my view. Still a good player but not looking like he be the new Xavi or Inesta many had him as. Hope he proves me wrong but I can't see it been easy for Jack if Ox and Ramsey get even better for him to even make the top 11.

So whats the team for Sunday???

Woj
    Sagna BFG Kos Gibbs?
    Flamini Santi Ox
    Rosicky Giroud Pod

It would be great to have Ramsey on the bench. I assume he wont start even if fit.

cson wrote: »
    I think he's done well; his stats testify to that. He needs Walcott fit and generally better players in front of him to flourish.

I also think our Pivoté position really needs a signing in the summer, Mikel's legs are gone and Flamini isn't technically good enough to do it.

Word for Vermaelen too; excellent last night imo. A really top top pro too; the last year can't have been easy on him but he's said absolutely nothing; just got on with it and been there when called upon. I'll be sad to see him go in the summer.

Still Think a Top Quality Striker with pace and who can score us 30 a season and as you Said a Defensive midfielder in the class of a Toure is badly needed. If we get them I can see this side winning leagues and CL's.

God bless Giroud but he isn't exactly blessed with pace. Good 2nd starter but we really need to get a striker like a Suarez or Augero. Wenger needs to break a record to get us that type of player.

Poor Vermaelen's problem was once he got the armband it became too much for him I think and his form suffered. I think Per would have been a better captain choice, plus for Verm he has the best centre back pairing in the PL to contend with. I wouldn't be surprised if City or Utd went for Verm to be honest.

ronjo wrote: »
    So whats the team for Sunday???

Woj
    Sagna BFG Kos Gibbs?
    Flamini Santi Ox
    Rosicky Giroud Pod

It would be great to have Ramsey on the bench. I assume he wont start even if fit.

isn't Kalstorm too? I wouldn't start Ramsey or Kalstorm until the Swansea game, give them a 15 minute run out in the NLD. Pretty much the team you picked is our best 11 we have right now.

Looper007 wrote: »
    isn't Kalstorm too? I wouldn't start Ramsey or Kalstorm until the Swansea game, give them a 15 minute run out in the NLD. Pretty much the team you picked is our best 11 we have right now.

Hey!!! I was hoping for...... "Great team selection" or "yes, I agree with you but then again you are usually right"

and not

"What other starting 11 should he pick dumbass !!!!!!!!!!! "

:D:D:D

Not sure if Kallstrom would be on the bench if Ramsey and Arteta are there?

ronjo wrote: »
    Hey!!! I was hoping for...... "Great team selection" or "yes, I agree with you but then again you are usually right"

and not

"What other starting 11 should he pick dumbass !!!!!!!!!!! "

:D:D:D

Not sure if Kallstrom would be on the bench if Ramsey and Arteta are there?

Sorry Ronjo :pac:. But we're lucky to get a top 11 out right now so just very happy we have those 11 and Ramsey is back. It's that time of the season to start getting a little worried. It's the Swansea game that worries me, we have to rest a few of the players as we don't tire ourselves out before Chelsea.

I think Verm, Ramsey, Gnarby, Kallstrom, Monreal (if he's fit) even Nikolas need a run out agaisn't Swansea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,770 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Looper007 wrote: »
    Ozil is never going to be a guy that goes out every match and blow away the opposition. If it goes his way he will take the game by the Scruff of the neck but if the opposition mark him out or make it hard to get the ball to him he's pretty much redundant on the field. I think many on here were expecting him to rip team's apart and score 20 goals a season but he's never going to be that type of player.

I also think not having anyone with speed up forward doesn't help either for Ozil. Hopefully Wenger will buy in a striker with pace during the summer.

Bayern games clearly show we have a great side that's just missing probably three top quality player's from making us a complete team. A top quality Striker, A commanding Defensive Midfield and a Winger with pace who can cross the ball would be nice.

Ox was amazing last night and Bayern couldn't handle him. It's amazing to think Ox and Ramsey are starting to look like world class talents while Wilshire sadly is regressing a little in my view. Still a good player but not looking like he be the new Xavi or Inesta many had him as. Hope he proves me wrong but I can't see it been easy for Jack if Ox and Ramsey get even better for him to even make the top 11.

But isn't that the same issue every year (change in players positions maybe).

No shame in going out to the best team in Europe but all this talk of people saying they are proud of the team last night etc is missing the point. bayern, like last year, knew they had the tie won so didn't need to hit top gear. Arsenal need to win the tie and never really looked like doing it. Despite needing two goals for the last 20 minutes, they rarely troubled the goal, I can't think of any moments were a bit of luck would have changed the game.

Sure Robben went down easily but the game was over and they missed it anyway, Podolski pushed Lahme for the goal which did change the tie.

Last year Arsenal went into the same tie against the same team two goals down and almost made it through, really putting Bayern under pressure. The same cannot be said of last night, so in any assesement that must be seen as going backwards

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But isn't that the same issue every year (change in players positions maybe).

No shame in going out to the best team in Europe but all this talk of people saying they are proud of the team last night etc is missing the point. bayern, like last year, knew they had the tie won so didn't need to hit top gear. Arsenal need to win the tie and never really looked like doing it. Despite needing two goals for the last 20 minutes, they rarely troubled the goal, I can't think of any moments were a bit of luck would have changed the game.

Sure Robben went down easily but the game was over and they missed it anyway, Podolski pushed Lahme for the goal which did change the tie.

Last year Arsenal went into the same tie against the same team two goals down and almost made it through, really putting Bayern under pressure. The same cannot be said of last night, so in any assesement that must be seen as going backwards

Well getting a man sent off in the first leg certainly helped them get those two goals. Bayern ain't that far off reaching for me, we have top quality players but we are missing one or two to make us a real top quality team. You are been far to dismissive of us Leroy, we went twice to Bayern and not get beat. I call bull**** on the claims Bayern took the foot of the pedal in last nights game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement