Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

CatInABox wrote: »
    Depends on where you are? If you are going out near the emirates, then most of the pubs around there will be good.

A little further out is the Hemingford arms, would be my local, pretty good. Nice relaxed atmosphere in there, not explicitly a sport pub though.

Cheers! Location doesn't really matter, would prefer something quiet so will check out that place thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Wenger said there gonna review medical and training methods this is good

fantastic, delighted with that.
    our Medical and Training facilities are top notch so there must be issues with training / medical practices or merely having not enough rotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Number of injuries since August, according to PhysioRoom: Liverpool 37, Man City 48, Man Utd 70, Chelsea 37, Arsenal 83.

Have we ever had a season where we've been do far ahead if our competitors on that front ?

Yes we have been well stocked in midfield and always seem able to put out a decent team and BFG, Kos and Giroud have all been absolute Trojans, but it can't help but have a severe impact.

For one thing AW is forced to play players he may have otherwise have rested and this could in turn lead to them picking up niggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've said this before but per the team doc AW directs that the conditioning be geared towards stamina & fitness - that we're fitter than the opponent in the last 10 mins. That's why we tend to score so many in this period. The trade off is it makes the players more susceptible to injury.

Seems to be a general lack of player management in the club though which is worrying. That and the scouting & player acquisitions side of thing is sub standard too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

We still have some players though who generally never get injured, it's just the same heads that keep getting crocked.
    Maybe they're not given enough time to recuperate fully?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

cson wrote: »
    I've said this before but per the team doc AW directs that the conditioning be geared towards stamina & fitness - that we're fitter than the opponent in the last 10 mins. That's why we tend to score so many in this period. The trade off is it makes the players more susceptible to injury.

Seems to be a general lack of player management in the club though which is worrying. That and the scouting & player acquisitions side of thing is sub standard too.

I've read that before as well but I don't buy into it one bit at all it seems like a made up excuse.

It just makes no sense at all, first of all if they were fitter with better stamina then they would be less susceptible to injuries due to tiring muscles as the game wore on not the other way around.

Also every single team wants there players as fit as possible and to be able to last 90 minutes of a game were not special in that regard.

dvemail wrote: »
    We still have some players though who generally never get injured, it's just the same heads that keep getting crocked.
    Maybe they're not given enough time to recuperate fully?

Could be, or we push to hard in training or players not being given the proper care with specific tailored training programs to suit there needs targeting weak spots in there physique. It's hard to know but there has been a lot of money spent on it at Arsenal so for us to have an injury problem worse than all of our rivals there is certainly something going wrong along the line.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Pacifico wrote: »
    Cheers! Location doesn't really matter, would prefer something quiet so will check out that place thanks!!

Yeah, up near Highbury corner you are guaranteed a good Arsenal crowd, but you could be waiting ten minutes for a drink, and that's if you can push your way through the crowd! There should still be a crowd in the Hemingford Arms at the weekend, but not anywhere close to that scale.

Does pretty good food too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Well, regardless of whether he is rated or not, it seems that there will be no fairy tale ending for Bendtner at Arsenal. This is up on the BBC sportsday:
    It doesn't sound too good for Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner, with regards his Emirates Stadium future.

The Denmark forward, 26, has not played for the Gunners since 2 February, and now faces sanctions for an unauthorised trip to Copenhagen.

Wenger said: "The only thing that is for sure is he had nothing to do in Copenhagen. Nobody gave him any permission to go to Copenhagen and he will be fined for that.

Asked whether this was the 'final straw' for the player, Wenger said: "He is at the end of his contract at the end of the season."

His last year, and he has started to go off the rails in terms of behaviour again.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    Well, regardless of whether he is rated or not, it seems that there will be no fairy tale ending for Bendtner at Arsenal. This is up on the BBC sportsday:

His last year, and he has started to go off the rails in terms of behaviour again.

He was doing so well had some fans actually believing he wasn't a fool the other week with his good performance in the interview playing the hard done by misunderstood soul :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

In ragards the injuries, it does seem to be the same people every time. How often is Mertesacker injured? Koscielny? Flamini? Giroud? Very rarely. Gibbs? Walcott? Wilshere? Very often it seems. I have a feeling players are being pushed to get back as soon as possible and often end up returning before they are 100%, leaving them open to picking up another injury that puts them out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wenger said there gonna review medical and training methods this is good

Should have been done years ago. It's not a new problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    In ragards the injuries, it does seem to be the same people every time. How often is Mertesacker injured? Koscielny? Flamini? Giroud? Very rarely. Gibbs? Walcott? Wilshere? Very often it seems. I have a feeling players are being pushed to get back as soon as possible and often end up returning before they are 100%, leaving them open to picking up another injury that puts them out again.

Diaby could do with a push alright !!

Wenger on SS News saying Ozil could be out for 6 weeks.
    Ramsey has had a setback too - 2 more weeks probably.
    Diaby was supposed to be back in mid March - now 4 weeks more (Injury Room).
    Jack out too.

Feckin joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Should have been done years ago. It's not a new problem.

+1000

I dunno how the club hasn't been aware of it. I just hope they get in a 3rd party and don't make it some internal review. It would be absolutely pointless having our medical staff investigate themselves.

Didnt Arsene answer question about the clubs injury record a season or two back and he said we have the best facilities, staff and practices

• Advertisement

Didnt Arsene answer question about the clubs injury record a season or two back and he said we have the best facilities, staff and practices

he's right on one count.

the facilities are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

bad2dabone wrote: »
    he's right on one count.

the facilities are brilliant.

Our training facilities are actually outdated now, there getting an upgrade

Our training facilities are actually outdated now, there getting an upgrade

i thought the medical ones were top class though? there was a video on the club website showing all the fancy gadgets they had, zero G threadmill etc.

hey you leave Tim "The Gooner" Sherwood alone!

He's one of us!

Return to base after Sunday :D

gnfnrhead wrote: »

That's a really good point. Is it the training and/or rehabilitation methods you'd have to wonder? Ramseys injury has been the biggest blow this season. Nearly bigger than Walcott. If both of them were fit and we'd be in a far better position in the league. The stats for the invincibles would be interesting to review in that regard. Henry and Pires were surely averaging near 30 games per season if not more. Pires ACL injury in 2002 only slightly offset his total amount of games played

EDIT: Pires played 189 games in total from 2000-06 so that average 31.5 games a season which would be higher had it not been for that injury. Good return really.

• Advertisement

Agent Sherwood you're making it too obvious!

He does a great impression of a man who is very very wet behind the ears though. :D

The ironic thing is he seemed to get something out of Cashabayor, a man who as Tony Cascarino would say "He 'as got the arf (heart) the size of a pea"

+1000

I dunno how the club hasn't been aware of it. I just hope they get in a 3rd party and don't make it some internal review. It would be absolutely pointless having our medical staff investigate themselves.

Turkeys never vote for Christmas sure. Would be like asking Seanie Fitz and the Anglo men to investigate themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Turkeys never vote for Christmas sure. Would be like asking Seanie Fitz and the Anglo men to investigate themselves

Oh boy, they would love to do that.....and give themselves a clean sheet...:D

I hope that we will not lose confidence without Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Oh boy, they would love to do that.....and give themselves a clean sheet...:D

I hope that we will not lose confidence without Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey.

Unfortunately it's not as if we haven't got experience of playing without injured players. In other news we have received just over 42000 tickets for the fa semi, so basically if ur a season ticket holder you are sorted

Team for Sunday lads ??

I think he'll have to start both Flamini and Arteta with Ox, Cazorla and Rosicky ahead of them and Giroud up front again.
    Our bench is getting weaker by the game with all the injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭ronjo

Team for Sunday lads ??

I think he'll have to start both Flamini and Arteta with Ox, Cazorla and Rosicky ahead of them and Giroud up front again.
    Our bench is getting weaker by the game with all the injuries.

If thats the line up I guess we still have Podolski and Gnabry to come off the bench. Kallstrom too if we need na holding player.
    Sanogo will be there if fit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Kallstrom is going to score an important goal for us - just know it. About time we had a threat from free kicks anyway.

I think it's an easy enough team to pick now. Verm v Monreal may depend on fitness while I think he had Rosicky in mind for this game but maybe Podolski has forced himself into the reckoning now. Il go with this but wouldn't be surprised if Rosicky starts and Cazorla goes left.

Ches

Sagna Mert Kos Monreal/Vermaelen

Arteta Flamini

Ox Cazorla Podolski

Giroud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I think Vermaelen deserves to keep his place, he's done very little wrong in the last two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

cson wrote: »

I've read that before as well but I don't buy into it one bit at all it seems like a made up excuse.

It just makes no sense at all, first of all if they were fitter with better stamina then they would be less susceptible to injuries due to tiring muscles as the game wore on not the other way around.

Also every single team wants there players as fit as possible and to be able to last 90 minutes of a game were not special in that regard.

would the reason (well 1 of) not be that arsenal used to control the majority of possession too.
    far more tiring running around chasing the ball, so the opposition would be more tired than arsenal at the end of matches, more likely to make mistakes/not close down in time, etc.

looked into that points stat too that was mentioned on arsecast last week.
    the promoted/relegated teams make no difference (18/18 last year, 15/15 so far this year) so not sure why the guy left them out.

so arsenal are -1 point on the corresponding fixtures to last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'd like to see Verm start for this game, he deserves it, he has played well in that position thus far, and offers that attacking threat down the flank, moreso than Monreal I feel. If he could get comfortable in that role, it might convince him to stay, which can only be a good thing.

Our squad depth, in the centre particularly, isn't as good as it could be but it's not as bad as people make it out to be either.

Chamberlain can potentially play in front of Cazorla and playing off Giroud/Sanogo, with both Flamini/Arteta as Dms, then Gnabry and Pod/Ox interchangable on the flanks, and of course Kim will also be available on Sun. We also have the option of playing Monreal in the flanks, Wenger has done this in the past if I'm not mistaken.

Let's just hope Ramsey will be fit in time for Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Re: the injuries.

There's a clear correlation between young players playing lots of games and the likelihood of picking up an injury.

When your body is still developing in your early 20's, you shouldn't be playing every game.

Aside from that we've had a couple of players like Rosicky and Diaby that other clubs would have ditched. Quite proud of that though.

gosplan wrote: »
    Re: the injuries.

There's a clear correlation between young players playing lots of games and the likelihood of picking up an injury.

When your body is still developing in your early 20's, you shouldn't be playing every game.

Aside from that we've had a couple of players like Rosicky and Diaby that other clubs would have ditched. Quite proud of that though.

That is true but again our young players seem to suffer more injuries and long term injuries than most teams. Do we push our young players to hard in training, not give them adaptive training are they pushed to the same level as senior players there is still a big problem there somewhere along the line.

There are plenty of young players who play week in week out without getting the injuries our players always seem to get.

Kompany sent off, wow.

Dare to dream.

ETA **** it, bollox...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think Vermaelen deserves to keep his place, he's done very little wrong in the last two games.

Only problem is if there's any injury to two of the defenders we are ducked at centre back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Kompany sent off, wow.

Dare to dream.

ETA **** it, bollox...

Hull were crap to be honest and City pretty much had them in their pocket. Poor midfield and terrible crosses and never looked like scoring. City could have scored another 2 goals. 2-0 and I have to say that's a championship winning type win.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Hull were crap to be honest and City pretty much had them in their pocket. Poor midfield and terrible crosses and never looked like scoring. City could have scored another 2 goals. 2-0 and I have to say that's a championship winning type win.

Still though, from what I read on the MBM, it sounded like they could have had a few potential goal scoring chances.. it would of been nice to see city drop points.. let's hope AV get something out of Chelsea later.

Still though, from what I read on the MBM, it sounded like they could have had a few potential goal scoring chances.. it would of been nice to see city drop points.. let's hope AV get something out of Chelsea later.

I watched the 2nd half and City apart from the odd half chance were pretty comfortable. There wasn't anything that made Joe Hart struggle to be fair. City had three of the best chances in the 2nd half and took 1. Was very disappointed in Hull. Let's hope Villa pull of a shock but I highly doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I'd rather city win their next two games, I would much prefer them to win the title over Chelsea.

I'd rather city win their next two games, I would much prefer them to win the title over Chelsea.

I'd rather we did, if I'm being honest.

• Advertisement

I think the next few games will be very tough. I am kind of prepping my expectation levels to match the reality of it all.

Just thinking there - in Walcott, Ramsey and Ozil we are missing our 3 greatest attacking forces outside the striker for major season defining games.

For Chelsea that would be the equivalent of Hazard, Oscar and Schurrle.

For City it would be Silva, Toure and Nasri.

For Liverpool it would be Coutinho, Sterling and one of Suarez/Sturridge

For United it would be Mata, Rooney and Januzaj.

That's a bit scary.

You mean when we win it. Don't get why are so called fan's are writing us off until we're out of it then we should be getting behind the team.

I think the next few games will be very tough. I am kind of prepping my expectation levels to match the reality of it all.

Just thinking there - in Walcott, Ramsey and Ozil we are missing our 3 greatest attacking forces outside the striker for major season defining games.

For Chelsea that would be the equivalent of Hazard, Oscar and Schurrle.

For City it would be Silva, Toure and Nasri.

For Liverpool it would be Coutinho, Sterling and one of Suarez/Sturridge

For United it would be Mata, Rooney and Januzaj.

That's a bit scary.

To be fair, Ox is coming into good form, Santi can knock in a few, Pod can take a chance if it lands to him. Giroud will score too. Yeah it sucks that we lost Walcott Ramsey and Ozil but we have to get on with it and stop moaning and making excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

You mean when we win it. Don't get why are so called fan's are writing us off until we're out of it then we should be getting behind the team.

Oh ffs how am I a "so called fan" because I want one favourite to win it over the other? Chelsea and City are objectively favourites. As for us, we have a big injury list and a rough fixture list to come. Condemning talk of another team winning it at this stage is ridiculous.

To be fair, Ox is coming into good form, Santi can knock in a few, Pod can take a chance if it lands to him. Giroud will score too. Yeah it sucks that we lost Walcott Ramsey and Ozil but we have to get on with it and stop moaning and making excuses.

I dont see any moaning merely an observation. Just shows the strength of our midfield options. Bench is bare now though.

Villa go 1 up in the 82nd minute against Chelsea.
    Chelsea a man down too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Villa go 1 up in the 82nd minute against Chelsea.
    Chelsea a man down too.

Was just about to post this lets hope they hold out.

Chelsea down to 9 men now.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This pleases me greatly. A win tomorrow will set us up nicely :)

Let's hope Villa pull of a shock but I highly doubt it.

Well I was proven wrong :D

Chelsea will be missing Ramieres, Willian and Jose when we play them.

Chelsea fans fuming with the performance of referee, Chris Foy.
    Will we be the same tomorrow with Mike Dean?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement