Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Campbell's a winger so I think we can forget talk of him playing any part as a striker for us. Potentially next season you'd have Santi and Walcott as out options on the flanks with Gnabry/Podolski/Campbell covering as required assuming Chamberlain's future is in CM (which I think it is). Himself and Ramsey provide that direct running threat and in general the link between our holding midfielder and Ozil. Holding midfield is really where the success of next season depends upon imo - we need someone there. Arteta's legs are going/gone and Flamini doesn't have the technical capabilities for it the way we play.

You'd ideally like 3 signings if Sagna leaves; striker, holding midfielder and right full back. Definitely need a centre half or two assuming Vermaelen and Sagna leave.

I'd be slightly afraid Wenger would let Sagna go and rely on Jenkinson and Bellerin to step up which is quite a dangerous game.

Did we ever find out why Bellerin was recalled early? That struck me as most strange given he was getting some good experience there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

cson wrote: »
    Campbell's a winger so I think we can forget talk of him playing any part as a striker for us. Potentially next season you'd have Santi and Walcott as out options on the flanks with Gnabry/Podolski/Campbell covering as required assuming Chamberlain's future is in CM (which I think it is). Himself and Ramsey provide that direct running threat and in general the link between our holding midfielder and Ozil. Holding midfield is really where the success of next season depends upon imo - we need someone there. Arteta's legs are going/gone and Flamini doesn't have the technical capabilities for it the way we play.
    I'm not sure on Chamberlain at CM. First off, he's got a hell of a lot of competition in Ramsey and Wilshere for that non-holding spot. Second, both him and Ramsey aren't that good at passing the ball, and you'd assume the holding midfielder (Flamini for now) is the same. I think we need a ball player there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Up front I'd like us to sign Rodriguez as back-up and Martinez as our main man, would be happy with that.

There's also some talk of an upcoming talent who plays for Standard Ligue, Batshuayi, who's a Belgian U21 international and impressing scouts, could be another one to keep an eye out for.

If we had one of Rodriguez, and then Martinez or Costa like signing, we'd be well stocked up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Will watch Benfica this evening and have a look at Rodrigo, he's rumoured to be a possible target.

ronjo wrote: »
    He was a bit unlucky with the timing of his career though.

1. England were loaded with centre forwards
    2. Arsenal were at in imbetween stage.

Lets have a Wrighty appreciation day as since Henry and Bergkamp came along its sometimes forgotten just how good he was for us.

Spot on. I honestly believe though he was as good as any of his peers during the 90s if not better (Shearer, Fowler, Collymore,Cole, Sutton tbf were excellent). The FA practically ordered any manager back then though to pick choir boys first and foremost (though probably only Shearer fitted that description :D) Gazza was probably the exception to the rule but he was just too good technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Def don't want costa really hope we get better

wawaman wrote: »
    As a 14 year old in 1994, words could not describe how upset i was when he was booked against PSG and missed the CWC final :o

Me too. Was an 11 year old back then.

Was even more upset to see him leave. Cant help feeling the following year (98/99) we missed out on the double he was the missing ingredient -squad wise. We missed a hatful of chances in the Champions league that year and other then Bergkamp, Anelka and Kanu we also had Diawara who couldnt hit a barn door, Wreh who sort of hit second season syndrome to an extent, and Boa-Morte who didnt look up to much much back then.

Would Mandszukic be worth a punt?

Who? Being realistic, there is nobody better available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

In all honesty who could we actually afford thats better than Diego Costa?

• Advertisement

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    In all honesty who could we actually afford thats better than Diego Costa?

The only strikers I'd consider better this season are Suarez (no), Zlatan (I wish!) and....well that's about it really.

The only strikers I'd consider better this season are Suarez (no), Zlatan (I wish!) and....well that's about it really.

Yep, pretty much..

If we're being realistic are best option is Mandzukic. He'll probably want out since Lewy will be starting over him.

He's scored 19 goals in 22 starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Would definitely rather Costa over Mandzukic, we have enough with one slow striker upfront, at least Costa brings something different, decent dribbler and good mobility.

Raf32 wrote: »
    Would definitely rather Costa over Mandzukic, we have enough with one slow striker upfront, at least Costa brings something different, decent dribbler and good mobility.

But in all honesty Costa isn't a realistic signing imo.
    I'd happily take Mandzukic.

I don't rate costa at all and I bet he flops when he gets his big move esp if it's to the prem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Me too. Was an 11 year old back then.

Was even more upset to see him leave. Cant help feeling the following year (98/99) we missed out on the double he was the missing ingredient -squad wise. We missed a hatful of chances in the Champions league that year and other then Bergkamp, Anelka and Kanu we also had Diawara who couldnt hit a barn door, Wreh who sort of hit second season syndrome to an extent, and Boa-Morte who didnt look up to much much back then.

I would have been early 20s then so have a few years on you.

I remember the cracker he scored away to Auxerre in the Cup Winners Cup the following year. Such a pity we didnt win that as he deserved a European trophy.

I flew over for those 3 home games in the Champions League that year in Wembly. The Lens game was a complete debacle. My flight was dead late and by the time I got to wembly station I had to run to my friends flat who had left the ticket under the mat at her house and run back to the ground it was half time.
    Then we had 2 players (Parlour and Dixon?) sent off if I remember correctly. Disaster !

I don't rate costa at all and I bet he flops when he gets his big move esp if it's to the prem

29 goals in 31 games.. I doubt he'd flot :pac:

But in all honesty Costa isn't a realistic signing imo.
    I'd happily take Mandzukic.

I defo think he is realistic but expect him to end up at chelsea. Im not keen on MM tbh anyone could score goals in that team and similar to Giroud, rather go for Dzeko over him. Balo is prob the best option imo.

29 goals in 31 games.. I doubt he'd flot :pac:

Meh Spanish league, if were gonna spend big in want way better than him
    I think he is only slightly better than giroud a little upgrade

• Advertisement

I defo think he is realistic but expect him to end up at chelsea. Im not keen on MM tbh anyone could score goals in that team and similar to Giroud, rather go for Dzeko over him. Balo is prob the best option imo.

Definitely agree with that.

Very Eduardo-ish type id imagine is Costa? Even looks like him

I think he is only slightly better than giroud a little upgrade

You're either greatly underestimating Costa or massively over rating Giroud..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Very Eduardo-ish type id imagine is Costa? Even looks like him

Lot more physical and agressive than Eduardo, from what I've seen of him

Will watch Benfica this evening and have a look at Rodrigo, he's rumoured to be a possible target.

Ah come on now......you want to see Spurs get a spanking too admit it ? :D

greendom wrote: »

TBH i would say a poor mans Suarez maybe which would be brilliant for us.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »

Eduardo was only settling into the English game before he was hacked out of it so id imagine he could have built up probably that bit more over the years only he was probably counting his blessings he'd walk again at the time id imagine let alone thinking of bulking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

And to see in what way will sherwood lose it? Will he throw his jumper or lob a shoe into the crowd!?

You're either greatly underestimating Costa or massively over rating Giroud..

Don't underestimate him, just don't rate him at all

£30m + £1 so??? :)

He's very bullish in his play.
    Wouldn't beat players like Suarez. But would be better for aerial duels.

He's also still very young.

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    And to see in what way will sherwood lose it? Will he throw his jumper or lob a shoe into the crowd!?

Hopefully he'll take his shoe off, run on to the pitch and properly clobber the shíte out of Adebayor with it :D

ronjo wrote: »
    I would have been early 20s then so have a few years on you.

I remember the cracker he scored away to Auxerre in the Cup Winners Cup the following year. Such a pity we didnt win that as he deserved a European trophy.

I flew over for those 3 home games in the Champions League that year in Wembly. The Lens game was a complete debacle. My flight was dead late and by the time I got to wembly station I had to run to my friends flat who had left the ticket under the mat at her house and run back to the ground it was half time.
    Then we had 2 players (Parlour and Dixon?) sent off if I remember correctly. Disaster !

He was the ultimate sucker punch striker. Wenger has never really gone for that top class 'Fox in the box' type since (and i dont mean that flop Franny Jeffers either :D).

He prefers lads to be able to run the channels and link up rather then someone more central that feeds off the final ball. Only Anelka and Eduardo have come close to Wrights style of central tendency and Anelka probably linked up with players more often then Wright. Although Wright wasnt all about poaching at the back post either. He scored goals there that Bergkamp would be proud of.

Oh and dont mention the CWC final of 95. I flooded the house that night.

You keep saying this without offering any alternatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Costa's amazing stats wise but anytime I've watched him on Sky I always think he just has the look of someone who wouldn't make it in the EPL. Then again I thought Soldado would eat up the league this year and I couldn't have been farther from the truth so what do I know :pac:

Either way I'd imagine he's Chelsea bound if José's paupers can scrape together some change in the summer for Atleti along with sending Torres home.

I'd love to see Balotelli with us. He's just got x-factor and something so different from what we have right now. Granted he comes with more baggage than a summer charter flight to the Costa Del Sol but if he clicked he'd be devastating for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Costa's amazing stats wise but anytime I've watched him on Sky I always think he just has the look of someone who wouldn't make it in the EPL. Then again I thought Soldado would eat up the league this year and I couldn't have been farther from the truth so what do I know :pac:

Either way I'd imagine he's Chelsea bound if José's paupers can scrape together some change in the summer for Atleti along with sending Torres home.

I'd love to see Balotelli with us. He's just got x-factor and something so different from what we have right now. Granted he comes with more baggage than a summer charter flight to the Costa Del Sol but if he clicked he'd be devastating for us.

Plus he's only 23 and was there not an article a few months ago saying that Puma would help finance the transfer because he's their poster boy?

He seems to have settled down and he would be our star striker, the top dog which would ease any ego problems he has. If anyone can control him it's Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wouldn't and for the same reason that Wenger got rid of Adebayor i.e. bad influence in the dressingroom especially with the young lads.

Is it one of Balotelli, Costa, Martinez or Mandzukic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

No thanks to Mandzudic. He is as slow as Giroud!

shano_88 wrote: »
    No thanks to Mandzudic. He is as slow as Giroud!

I'd say he's faster.. from what i've seen at least.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Nice retrospective on Arsenes 1000 game reign, basically sums up why I really respect him as a manager.

The Guardian has it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Is it one of Balotelli, Costa, Martinez or Mandzukic?

47458328.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I'd say he's faster.. from what i've seen at least.

He might be. I haven't seen too much of him.

But he won't offer much of a threat in behind from what I've seen.

shano_88 wrote: »
    He might be. I haven't seen too much of him.

But he won't offer much of a threat in behind from what I've seen.

1767767.jpg

Apologies, im very bored today...

Would Milan be willing to sell Balotelli? And realistically how much would mm cost?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Would Milan be willing to sell Balotelli? And realistically how much would mm cost?

Hard to say if they'd be willing to sell.
    But cost wise i'd say 30-40M.

He's been pretty average scoring wise this season.. But he also hasn't really got to many good players for service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Sandro and Fryers playing at CB so a spanking could definitely be on the cards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Definitely no thanks on Balotelli, purely for his antics. Quality striker for sure though.

Costa would be a fantastic signing, only 25 and looks first class.

Anyone else more worried about the early start than playing Chelsea?

Don't think we've done that well this season at the 12.30 kick offs.

Anyone else more worried about the early start than playing Chelsea?

Don't think we've done that well this season at the 12.30 kick offs.

They were for long trips up to City and Pool, only across London now, no excuses.

• Advertisement

Anyone watching the spurs match? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement