Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Raf32 wrote: »
    me either and it was me suggesting them. after today i want us to blow 70 or 80 million on a cavani or falcao

This guy depending on how he comes back from injury. He's beyond amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    van Persie had one single good season. Anelka two. They have no business being in that list.

Still will offer more than Giroud if he is here for another 5 years, that im sure of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We also need 2 full-backs. What we have are not up to the job in the big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Wright, Bergkamp, Anelka, Henry, Van Persie...............Giroud.
    There is our problem right there. That symbolizes the drop in quality of this team.

Id even rate Adebayor a lot higher than Giroud.

Though it wasnt really his fault today, everyone was shocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Massive pressure on Wenger now to win the FA Cup because 10 years without a trophy is just too much for a club like this. Hes a great manager but I think its just time to move on from him for ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Id even rate Adebayor a lot higher than Giroud.

Though it wasnt really his fault today, everyone was shocking!

Adebayor, Eduardo and the list goes on.
    But no not his fault today team is a shambles but not overreacting, we just need a backup centre half and world class DM and the defence should be ok. Sagna if he stays would be my captain choice, i know many will say BFG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

rob316 wrote: »
    Massive pressure on Wenger now to win the FA Cup because 10 years without a trophy is just too much for a club like this. Hes a great manager but I think its just time to move on from him for ye.

If his tactics are as poor as today's then Wigan will expose us too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Lads as bad as Giroud was today (he should have opened the scoring in the first 3 mins) you got taken apart in midfield for 2 of the first 3 goals.

The same thing happened against Liverpool & Man City when Wilshere was fit.

You definitely need to invest in a midfield destroyer/pivot to have any chance next year.

I know Ramsey is a huge loss for ye - he was your leader for the first half of the season, had the most PL tackles won and was scoring more than a goal every 2 games.

But if you can team Ramsey up with a strong rangy midfielder similar to Matic for Chelsea and manage Ramsey's game time using Wilshere and Arteta you are really only short of No. 1 striker to replace Giroud.

Realistically if ye had got Luis Gustavo in the summer you would have solved this problem - but Fernando from Porto or Kondogbia at Monaco would be possible solutions to your lack of a proper DM (bar Flamini).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I posted last week that I was afraid the team would lose confidence, in the absence of Ozil, Ramsey and wilshere etc. We got through Spurs, just about. Today was the reality.... Heartbreaking does not come close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Did Flamini feauture in our defeats to City and Liverpool does anyone know?

Started against city, didnt play against liverpool, might have been serving a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Giroud always going to struggle without Ramsey, Ozil, Wilshere and Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Still will offer more than Giroud if he is here for another 5 years, that im sure of.

Anelka scored 28 goals for us. Giroud is already on 35. Anelka's best season was only 19 goals. Giroud is on 18 this year. One short with hopefully 10 games to go. He got 17 last year. Giroud is already better than Anelka was for us.

van Persie in his best season got 37. Hardly anyone could match that, his second best was 22. 4 ahead of Giroud and there are still 9 or 10 games to go.

People are being way too harsh on Giroud and are expecting him to do the same as Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Expecting a good backlash from this team against Swansea midweek. No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Lads as bad as Giroud was today (he should have opened the scoring in the first 3 mins) you got taken apart in midfield for 2 of the first 3 goals.

The same thing happened against Liverpool & Man City when Wilshere was fit.

You definitely need to invest in a midfield destroyer/pivot to have any chance next year.

I know Ramsey is a huge loss for ye - he was your leader for the first half of the season, had the most PL tackles won and was scoring more than a goal every 2 games.

But if you can team Ramsey up with a strong rangy midfielder similar to Matic for Chelsea and manage Ramsey's game time using Wilshere and Arteta you are really only short of No. 1 striker to replace Giroud.

Realistically if ye had got Luis Gustavo in the summer you would have solved this problem - but Fernando from Porto or Kondogbia at Monaco would be possible solutions to your lack of a proper DM (bar Flamini).

i agree, and at least fair play to you for coming in with proper discussion points and not been one of those posters who comes in with "haha you're ****" type stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Extremely gutless.
    There is something very wrong at the club I love.
    17 goals conceded in three away games.

Couldnt agree more, theres a rot after setting in somewhere along the lines, just cant put my finger on what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

rob316 wrote: »

Agree. He is not prepared to adapt or buy, or even spend. It's the bare minimum each season, to try and get by. As such, it will not cover the cracks when injuries occur, which is a regular feature in Arsenal's season. When it comes to the big games we do not have the players or manpower to compete. Wenger is stuck in a rut of mediocrity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭G1032

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Ah, it's hardly North Korea....

Spent €42million on Ozil and I expect one or two big names in the summer of the ilk now that we have been told we definitely have the money. One of them better be a striker ...

The money has been there for the last two seasons at least Marie. There has been nothing to suggest it will be used this summer. There is a cash surplus of over 150m for the last 3 transfer windows. It won't be spent this summer.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

There does seem to be a leadership vacuum though when ye are in a hole in a match. And injury crises every single season around February-March.

You'd have to question some of the training methods/squad management used as barely any other club seems to suffer as badly from both these issues year on year.

Regarding leadership:

Mertesacker, Koscielny and Ramsey seem like they take the game by the scruff of the neck
    Flamini has been there in the past and seems to drive on other players.
    Szszcney seems to have come on a lot in the last year or so.
    Wilshere seems a bit volatile at times (ala Rooney when things are going wrong).

Regarding Fitness concerns:
    Ye did let go of a lot of squad/filler players in the summer only bringing in Sanogo, Ozil and Flamini

dvemail wrote: »
    Expecting a good backlash from this team against Swansea midweek. No excuses.

The league is gone tbf. Preserve a CL spot and the cup is all we have now and tbh given the hidings we have got id bite the hands off you right now for that type of season.

The current team are almost the antithesis of Wengers most successful teams in terms of central midfielders. We have sloppy lazy little light weights who down the tools at a sign of a scrap nowadays. No way on earth would the likes of Vieira, Parlour, Gilberto, Petit, Grimandi, even Edu etc have been scorched like that in midfield. Giroud is also the antithesis of the type of striker we used have. Couldnt trap a bag of sand. Though in fairness his effort was apparent as it always is. Cazorla getting a new contract though is almost an indicator of how much Wengers judgement has been skewed over the years. He has a dreadful attitude. Ozil takes stick but there is more than him that are poor. Ox looked shell shocked after the penalty. The confidence was sucked out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Giroud is playing more or less on his own and he's no good used that way, he needs pace beside him or at least a partner that understands him, like he had at Montpellier, I blame Wenger for that.
    I said it after the spurs game that we were poor and gave away the ball too cheaply and it was the same again today. The difference being that Chelsea had the players to exploit us going forward whereas Tottenham didnt.
    Without sounding too melodramatic (as some other posters have already been) Its hard to know where we go from here. We have been outclassed several times by the better teams this year, we also failed to beat or even score against the poorest United team that I can remember. Yet, people still make excuses (missed 2 great chances, injuries, referee blah blah blah) The signs are there and have been all season(s) but yet the board failed to even get a few squad players in January when it was obviously needed.

Im disappointed but I cant say im completely shocked, we are liable to those kind of displays every now and then.
    Still - Gunner for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

G1032 wrote: »
    The money has been there for the last two seasons at least Marie. There has been nothing to suggest it will be used this summer. There is a cash surplus of over 150m for the last 3 transfer windows. It won't be spent this summer.......

That 150 would include wages. I read during the week that a 40 million signing could cost 100 with wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

That was worse than the 8_2 a gainst United.

The worst performance I've ever seen from an Arsenal team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Really unhappy with Cazorla this season. Hope to god Ramsey will be back for City.
    Cardiff have scored. That's something at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

wonga77 wrote: »
    Giroud is playing more or less on his own and he's no good used that way, he needs pace beside him or at least a partner that understands him, like he had at Montpellier, I blame Wenger for that.

I strongly disagree with this.

And even if you point was correct, Walcott was linking up very well with Giroud and it's not Wenger's fault that he tore his cruciate.

I thought it was only the summer gone that the official line was the money was there, as opposed to the rumours of the money we had. We obviously have it given the new contracts and the signing of Ozil. If we don't strengthen properly in the summer then my view may be altered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Giroud had a great chance to put us one up...a chance that a top striker would take 9 times out of 10. But instead, he scuffed it just like he has done with several big chances in big games this season. Chelsea then went straight up the field and Eto, who may be past his best but is still world class, takes his chance. That's the difference.

shano_88 wrote: »
    That was worse than the 8_2 a gainst United.

The worst performance I've ever seen from an Arsenal team.

The commentators were full of praise for Chelsea's 'ruthlessness' and while the hard work of Oscar and Hazard cannot go unnoticed i think they got the goals far far too easy. Thats the real killer. The pure lack of fight and one dimension in the centre. Instead of going all out to ram Mourinhos words down his throat, Wenger has instead proved his hypothesis correct. Its infuriating.

Giroud had a great chance to put us one up...a chance that a top striker would take 9 times out of 10. But instead, he scuffed it just like he has done with several big chances in big games this season. Chelsea then went straight up the field and Eto, who may be past his best but is still world class, takes his chance. That's the difference.

Henry missed chances too.

jester77 wrote: »
    That 150 would include wages. I read during the week that a 40 million signing could cost 100 with wages.

A forty million signing would cost roughly 40 or 50 million in wages over a 5 year contract. Arsenal could buy two players for 40-50 million and pay them for 5 years with the cash we have in the bank alone. With the new Puma deal plus other sponsorship deals (that Swiss watch crowd) Arsenal will have more money than they know what to do with. The club is awash with money and it's just not being spent. They argued with Madrid over 3 or 4 million for the Higuain deal. They are still penny pinching, still unwilling to pay what they believe are over the odds transfer fees. It's time they realised that in order to get the best you'll have to pay that little bit extra. They have shown over the last number of transfer windows that they are unwilling to do so and it'll be more of the same I guess this summer.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with this.

And even if you point was correct, Walcott was linking up very well with Giroud and it's not Wenger's fault that he tore his cruciate.

Walcott tore his cruciate on the 4th of January, there was plenty of time to find a replacement, before you ask me who, I dunno, but there had to be better alternatives out there than what we persisted with

• Advertisement

A forty million signing would cost roughly 40 or 50 million in wages over a 5 year contract. Arsenal could buy two players for 40-50 million and pay them for 5 years with the cash we have in the bank alone. With the new Puma deal plus other sponsorship deals (that Swiss watch crowd) Arsenal will have more money than they know what to do with. The club is awash with money and it's just not being spent. They argued with Madrid over 3 or 4 million for the Higuain deal. They are still penny pinching, still unwilling to pay what they believe are over the odds transfer fees. It's time they realised that in order to get the best you'll have to pay that little bit extra. They have shown over the last number of transfer windows that they are unwilling to do so and it'll be more of the same I guess this summer.

Özil kind of destroys your argument. If Wenger thinks the player is worth it, he will pay it but he wont spend much more than his own valuation. Otherwise it would end up like at City and the other big spenders where we could be paying £60m for players worth £30m.

Arteta should be dropped for a few games. Would like to see Vermaelen be brought back into the centre for the Swansea and City games.

I thought it was only the summer gone that the official line was the money was there, as opposed to the rumours of the money we had. We obviously have it given the new contracts and the signing of Ozil. If we don't strengthen properly in the summer then my view may be altered.
    No. Apparently it's been there for the last 3 windows. Gazidas put the blame firmly at Wenger's door for not spending it......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Come on that's no defense for Giroud

Disappointed today but if I'm honest I was fearing it. Not playing Flamini was very odd Arteta just doesn't have it anymore. We need a powerhouse in there and a centre forward of real class.

**** day but one I'm coming very accustomed too which isn't good

Onwards and upwards

Özil kind of destroys your argument. If Wenger thinks the player is worth it, he will pay it but he wont spend much more than his own valuation. Otherwise it would end up like at City and the other big spenders where we could be paying £60m for players worth £30m.

He doesn't really destroy the argument. He was easily worth the money paid at the time. Look at the Higuain deal........ Pulled the plug over a measly couple of million......

And the goalposts have been moved now with our new deals.

We'll spend big this summer. Only hope that it's Arsene who's choosing the transfers

But more often then not he hit the back of the net and often out of completely nothing. Giroud is a good player but were trying to win the grand national with a Clydesdale pony really. Henry was a thoroughbred - an 'Istabraq' if you like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Well that was absolutely embarrassing.

We can talk out of our arse all day and all night about how pathetic Mourinho is but by jesus does he know how to back up his shite talk. Specialist in failure indeed, we don't have a leg to stand on.

We need to win the FA cup, it really is desperate at this stage. Just something, anything to get the teams confidence up. We desperately, desperately need a new DM. Not a bottom of the barrel free transfer like Kallstrom, a real pro who is worth his weight in money. Someone who can boss the game around physically but will also count when we're on the ball. Arteta is gone, Flamini is just muscle, and I don't know about Kallstrom but he's too old to integrate anyway. The striker thing goes without question. But above all, what we really need is a trophy. And fast. Wenger needs to stay on, we can't lose him under any circumstances.

Is this the first time AW has not attended the post match press conference?

Well that was absolutely embarrassing.

We can talk out of our arse all day and all night about how pathetic Mourinho is but by jesus does he know how to back up his shite talk. Specialist in failure indeed, we don't even have a leg to stand on.

We need to win the FA cup, it really is desperate at this stage. Just something, anything to get the teams confidence up. We desperately, desperately need a new DM. Not a bottom of the barrel free transfer like Kallstrom, a real pro who is worth his weight in money. Someone who can boss the game around physically but will also count when we're on the ball. Arteta is gone, Flamini is just muscle, and I don't know about Kallstrom but he's too old to integrate anyway. The striker thing goes without question. But above all, what we really need is a trophy. And fast. Wenger needs to stay on, we can't lose him under any circumstances.

This is exactly what pisses off so many fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

yes. i'd say he's beyond angry. like us i'd say he's devastated.

What does he say, he must be livid. I hope realises if he is going to sign a new contract he needs to change things and spend some fcukin money

bad2dabone wrote: »
    yes. i'd say he's beyond angry. like us i'd say he's devastated.

Think this is right, he is beyond angry and devastated and giving how much the media are out to get him, he'd only be pushed into questions on Mourinho and bated on the subject.

Giroud was bought as a striker to score 15-20 goals a season. That is exactly what he has done. Complaining that he doesnt score something like 30-40 goals a season is being incredibly harsh on him. Does he miss chances? Yes. Everybody does. Not even Ronaldo and Messi have a 100% conversion rate. Strikers miss chances.
    He doesn't really destroy the argument. He was easily worth the money paid at the time. Look at the Higuain deal........ Pulled the plug over a measly couple of million......

You said:
    It's time they realised that in order to get the best you'll have to pay that little bit extra. They have shown over the last number of transfer windows that they are unwilling to do so and it'll be more of the same I guess this summer.

Özil disproves that. If it is someone Wenger wants, he's willing to pay. £40m is a massive amount of money, especially for us, but Wenger went out and paid it showing he is willing to pay that little bit extra when he feels it is worth it.

Also, Wenger obviously disagrees that Higuain was worth it. On top of that, all along we had been told a certain price, Wenger was apparently very close to it and then Madrid raised it. I dont blame him one bit for not playing that game. Let's say Wenger met the new value, whats to stop them upping it again when it worked the first time? If you go to the shop and want to buy something for €10, but after picking it up you then get told it now costs €20, are you going to just hand it over or go look elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Think this is right, he is beyond angry and devastated and giving how much the media are out to get him, he'd only be pushed into questions on Mourinho and bated on the subject.

That's just hyperbole. Virtually nobody in the media is out to get him. In fact most journalists will openly admit to admiring him and stating they think he has done a good job despite not winning anything in nearly a decade.

When you get beaten 6-0 by your title rivals, tough questions are bound to happen. It's not being mean.

Giroud was bought as a striker to score 15-20 goals a season. That is exactly what he has done. Complaining that he doesnt score something like 30-40 goals a season is being incredibly harsh on him. Does he miss chances? Yes. Everybody does. Not even Ronaldo and Messi have a 100% conversion rate. Strikers miss chances.

You said:

Özil disproves that. If it is someone Wenger wants, he's willing to pay. £40m is a massive amount of money, especially for us, but Wenger went out and paid it showing he is willing to pay that little bit extra when he feels it is worth it.

Also, Wenger obviously disagrees that Higuain was worth it. On top of that, all along we had been told a certain price, Wenger was apparently very close to it and then Madrid raised it. I dont blame him one bit for not playing that game. Let's say Wenger met the new value, whats to stop them upping it again when it worked the first time? If you go to the shop and want to buy something for €10, but after picking it up you then get told it now costs €20, are you going to just hand it over or go look elsewhere?

Your points and backing of Giroud is ridiculous. No way Wenger bought him thinking great he's my main man and will get me 15-20 goals a season. He was bought with the hope of delivering more and was backed by Wenger this season. He is not good enough end of, every man and his dog knows this. He is a great plan B or 2nd striker

sh1tballs, i just remembered i have Chesney as keeper on my fantasy football team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

sh1tballs, i just remembered i have Chesney as keeper on my fantasy football team

I got Kos in for a -4 hit :(

Crazy foo'

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    Your points and backing of Giroud is ridiculous. No way Wenger bought him thinking great he's my main man and will get me 15-20 goals a season. He was bought with the hope of delivering more and was backed by Wenger this season. He is not good enough end of, every man and his dog knows this. He is a great plan B or 2nd striker

Giroud gets 15-20
    Ramsey, Walcott, Özil all get 10-15
    Cazorla, Podolski, Wilshere etc. all get 5-10

Everyone else gets the usual 2, 3, 4 etc.

Relying on only one player to get your goals is asking for trouble.

If everyone gets what is expected of them, we're in a great position. Unfortunately, the injuries and failures in big games have screwed us over. We could have coped with one or the other but not both.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement