Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Adding to the squad will be the least of our worries this summer.

Replacing a lot of players is the first.

I've said it before and I'll say it again we need to sign players who will be definite first 11 and push some of what's there to the bench thus improving the starting 11 and squad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Soups123 wrote: »
    There are genuine questions to be asked of Wenger and the board and people shouldn't get defensive if asked. I don't know if after all this time he still has it in him to compete st the top and if he signs another contract then I'll hope he can but I don't fear losing him.

Either way the man will forever have my respect and appreciation for giving up so much of his life to the club

That's how I feel about him. Spot on.
    It'll be a sad day when he goes but when he goes we'll have a new chapter and the club will be ready to move forwards. He won't be dropping some poor sucker into the ringer when he goes.
    I'd sure love to get the FA Cup sorted though. We Need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

There are genuine questions to be asked of Wenger and the board and people shouldn't get defensive if asked. I don't know if after all this time he still has it in him to compete st the top and if he signs another contract then I'll hope he can but I don't fear losing him.

Either way the man will forever have my respect and appreciation for giving up so much of his life to the club

Id agree with you. I think he is probably the best manager in the league but arsenal need a change. They need to freshen things up.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    That's how I feel about him. Spot on.
    It'll be a sad day when he goes but when he goes we'll have a new chapter and the club will be ready to move forwards. He won't be dropping some poor sucker into the ringer when he goes.
    I'd sure love to get the FA Cup sorted though. We Need it.

FA Cup is more important than anything now with the expectation to win it so high not to will tear the mental arse that's left of it in this squad and tbh makes Wengers job 10 times harder next year. They really really really need this success and the young squad to grow with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

I reckon Wenger won't re-sign this season.

Martinez to take over.

Top 4 battles guaranteed

its best he doesnt

its best he doesnt

Martinez is a quality young manager he will eventually get a top job, I think he is a ready made replacement for Arsene tactically very good, excellent football philosophy and hugely enthusiastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Adding to the squad will be the least of our worries this summer.

Replacing a lot of players is the first.

Who? This isnt Football Manager. You cant just decide to sell everyone and buy a new team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

40 million plus 1.

Clap clap arsenal.

Should have paid 80 million, the league would be ours now.

No no got to think of the long term implications.

Well I think they are unfolding before our eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Agree he got it badly wrong today. Awful awful day but surely, surely we are not at the point of already discussing his departure and possible successor?? Really??

I for one believe the man deserves 2-3 years to compete on a similar financial footing to his rivals and i believe that is the 1st year we have reached that level despite the absolute guff and tripe about our 'excellent' financial position as outlined by a poster today.

This is the 1st year we have been able to spend big without jeopardy to the club. I believe a man who sacrificed his career for 6/7 years deserves the respect and chance to compete when we are back to the top.

I know we get annoyed cos our friends down the pub slag about 9 years bla bla bla but we should be bigger than that and know the case. I believe we will win the FA Cup and get top 4 and will strenghten significantly in the summer.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Who? This isnt Football Manager. You cant just decide to sell everyone and buy a new team.

Who what?

Are you telling me there is no players arsenal can't afford or get at the moment who will improve us.

Bull ****.

Who what?

Are you telling me there is no players arsenal can't afford or get at the moment who will improve us.

Bull ****.

Who are you replacing and with who?

It's all fine and well saying sign loads of players, but how about suggestions?

Agree he got it badly wrong today. Awful awful day but surely, surely we are not at the point of already discussing his departure and possible successor?? Really??

I for one believe the man deserves 2-3 years to compete on a similar financial footing to his rivals and i believe that is the 1st year we have reached that level despite the absolute guff and tripe about our 'excellent' financial position as outlined by a poster today.

This is the 1st year we have been able to spend big without jeopardy to the club. I believe a man who sacrificed his career for 6/7 years deserves the respect and chance to compete when we are back to the top.

I know we get annoyed cos our friends down the pub slag about 9 years bla bla bla but we should be bigger than that and know the case. I believe we will win the FA Cup and get top 4 and will strenghten significantly in the summer.

How many seasons has Rodgers had to compete without financial backing?

They are now ahead of us in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

I would be happy with Martinez although, Jurgen Klopp would be my dream replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

fabianski
    vivanio
    sagna
    vermaelen
    bendtner

are all going to leave i'd bet, so will need replaced, plus

another CB
    DM
    winger
    CF

Who are you replacing and with who?

It's all fine and well saying sign loads of players, but how about suggestions?

Suarez for a start but we dicked around as usual.

• Advertisement

Ronan14 wrote: »
    I would be happy with Martinez although, Jurgen Klopp would be my dream replacement.

imagine the injuries then :pac:

SJ most would agree with you if the financial power is put to use. The concern is it may not every year we hear about the war chest and it got a little dusting last summer.

I would be delighted to see Wenger get 2/3 years with financial power behind him, my only concern is if it is there will he spend it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

money is not the damm issue. do u or any other bother to read peoples post AT ALL?
    not going to repeat what has been said a million times here with reasons why wenger is incapable without the use of funds!

And you can use that if he does it consistently for a number of seasons

batistuta9 wrote: »
    fabianski
    vivanio
    sagna
    vermaelen
    bendtner

are all going to leave i'd bet, so will need replaced, plus

another CB
    DM
    winger
    CF

Again, no realistic suggestions for replacements. "winger" is incredibly vague. Jermaine Pennant is a winger, will he do?

Everyone who gets suggested would either be incredibly unlikely or not an upgrade on what we have.
    Suarez for a start but we dicked around as usual.

We activated the clause that has since been confirmed to have existed. It was then down to Suarez to say he wanted to go. He didnt. We didnt dick around, we offered the release clause but Suarez didnt speak up and say he wanted to talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Why not go and sign Lars Bender right now on a precontract? he would be dying to move, throw 20 million at them and fixes our whole midfield. Lock up Sanga to a long term deal and stop dicking about. Then that leaves us a few months to get a proper striker in

Again, no realistic suggestions for replacements. "winger" is incredibly vague. Jermaine Pennant is a winger, will he do?

Everyone who gets suggested would either be incredibly unlikely or not an upgrade on what we have.

We activated the clause that has since been confirmed to have existed. It was then down to Suarez to say he wanted to go. He didnt. We didnt dick around, we offered the release clause but Suarez didnt speak up and say he wanted to talk.

Every player has his price.

If we really wanted him we could have got him, he wanted to leave but we made a balls of it with a Mickey mouse bid.

Now we're fighting for 4th while liverpool ate fighting for the league.

People dont need to name names they aren't scouts. Do you genuinely think this team cannot be improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

niallo27 wrote: »
    Id agree with you. I think he is probably the best manager in the league but arsenal need a change. They need to freshen things up.

I think he has done a great job and all he can do at the club. A new approach is needed I feel, without losing our style of play. Barca got a new manager and still play like Barca.

Every player has his price.

If we really wanted him we could have got him, he wanted to leave but we made a balls of it with a Mickey mouse bid.

Now we're fighting for 4th while liverpool ate fighting for the league.

Did you read what I said? We activated the release fee. It was down to Suarez to say he wanted to talk. When he didnt, Liverpool decided to reject it. Suarez obviously wasnt interested. If he was, all he had to do was say so. The clause had been activated.
    People dont need to name names they aren't scouts. Do you genuinely think this team cannot be improved?

Raf32 just made a good suggestion. Why cant others instead of saying buy loads of players?

Any team can be improved but Messi and Ronaldo arent exactly realistic signings.

you asked who? as in who would need to be replaced.

i'll try & be realistic (mostly)

GK - where's carlo cudicini at?
    RB - debuchy/m.richards
    2xCB - lovren, ginter
    DM - l.gustavo/l.bender/schneiderlin
    winger (you knew well where i meant) - draxler/griesman
    CF - cavani

Did you read what I said? We activated the release fee. It was down to Suarez to say he wanted to talk. When he didnt, Liverpool decided to reject it. Suarez obviously wasnt interested. If he was, all he had to do was say so. The clause had been activated.

Raf32 just made a good suggestion. Why cant others instead of saying buy loads of players?

Any team can be improved but Messi and Ronaldo arent exactly realistic signings.

Fair enough I thought you were suggesting its mission impossible.

I'd love Bender exactly what we need in the middle, would love Di Maria with him and Walcott using there pace on the left and right.

We need a centre forward but I don't know who I hope Arsene sees it and has something lined up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We also need a left-back. Gibbs and Monrael don't cut it for me but i'd give both of them a try on the left side of midfield for their pace and let Vermaillon play left-back.
    Nothing to lose by tweaking things a bit now.

They are 3 points ahead and we are panicking. They have no Europe or injuries on the scale we have had. Bit of perspective.

Where are United?

SJ most would agree with you if the financial power is put to use. The concern is it may not every year we hear about the war chest and it got a little dusting last summer.

I would be delighted to see Wenger get 2/3 years with financial power behind him, my only concern is if it is there will he spend it

Agree 100%. If he doesnt then no excuses. Did he not start already with Ozil??

• Advertisement

money is not the damm issue. do u or any other bother to read peoples post AT ALL?
    not going to repeat what has been said a million times here with reasons why wenger is incapable without the use of funds!

What are you talking about??

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

Sounds like the type of press release made by the club every season since the move, a quick study of the clubs annual account shows the stadium debt is more than covered in the clubs cash reserves. As I mentioned the extra gate receipts for home games are much more than the annual stadium payments are.

Even with the annual stadium payment costs included the club is vastly more rich than it was at Highbury, not including better sponsorship, merchandising & TV deals.

The former & current board members who sold their shares for hundreds of millions of pounds profits since the last cup win in 2005 are all the proof you need of the substantial worth of the club. :rolleyes:

We have the club saying for years we can't compete in the transfer market yet the clubs shares are worth £15,000 plus each & the club is valued at £850 billion. But please pay for your annual ticket price increases because we are broke!!! :(

A "quick" study might show that. However an accurate one would show that the stadium debt is circa £240m and cash reserves circa £144m so net debt is actually £96m.

And the current market cap of the club is around £950 million, so you are only out by £849 billion

Gus99 wrote: »
    A "quick" study might show that. However an accurate one would show that the stadium debt is circa £240m and cash reserves circa £144m so net debt is actually £96m.

And the current market cap of the club is around £950 million, so you are only out by £849 billion

Spot on.

I know the rubbish spouted about in the papers is all lies but would love to see us linked to players of need. Least it would show we are considering strengthening these positions. I suppose no plans for beyond May will happen however until he signs his new deal which is a bit of a joke. That should have been done last summer, between that and hopefully a qualifier in august along with a WC, this summer is going to be brutal for getting players i can see it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

you asked who? as in who would need to be replaced.

i'll try & be realistic (mostly)

GK - where's carlo cudicini at?
    RB - debuchy/m.richards
    2xCB - lovren, ginter
    DM - l.gustavo/l.bender/schneiderlin
    winger (you knew well where i meant) - draxler/griesman
    CF - cavani

If he would even go, would Arsenal really pay Cavani £250,000/£300,000 per week?

Disgraceful, club should be refunding him and everyone else that went

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sounds like the type of press release made by the club every season since the move, a quick study of the clubs annual account shows the stadium debt is more than covered in the clubs cash reserves. As I mentioned the extra gate receipts for home games are much more than the annual stadium payments are.

Even with the annual stadium payment costs included the club is vastly more rich than it was at Highbury, not including better sponsorship, merchandising & TV deals.

The former & current board members who sold their shares for hundreds of millions of pounds profits since the last cup win in 2005 are all the proof you need of the substantial worth of the club. :rolleyes:

We have the club saying for years we can't compete in the transfer market yet the clubs shares are worth £15,000 plus each & the club is valued at £850 billion. But please pay for your annual ticket price increases because we are broke!!! :(

So Arsenal is more than 7times as valuable as the Irish economy ? Wow, the Arsenal board is certainly capable of hyperbole but I think you take the biscuit with that !

are they not tied into paying about 20mil a season until about 2030 for the stadium?

they've 120mil in the bank, which is apparently going to be 175/180 in the summer & 70mil coming in every season for the next 5 years

you're bound to see why people are ranting about not spending money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Obviously a mistake on my part as trying to type fast, whilst making dinner for 4 people :D

The stadium repayment debt is £14million per year until 2031, paying it all up early would mean large financial penalties, so not advisable. http://angryofislington.com/2012/10/09/arsenal-accounts-and-finances-all-explained-in-five-minutes/

My point still stands, the club has plenty of finance available, is more than happy to boast about being affluent & amongst the world's richest & yet is quick enough to raise ticket prices for supporters at any opportunity whilst saying the club is broke :mad:

• Advertisement

If he would even go, would Arsenal really pay Cavani £250,000/£300,000 per week?

no idea tbh, but they could afford it if they really wanted

the other day people mentioned costa, mandzuckic, balotelli, j.martinez - & they aren't good enough.
    mention cavani, falcao - and you're being unrealistic

so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

no idea tbh, but they could afford it if they really wanted

the other day people mentioned costa, mandzuckic, balotelli, j.martinez - & they aren't good enough.
    mention cavani, falcao - and you're being unrealistic

so...

Diego Costa and Jackson Martinez would be two steps up in quality on any striker Arsenal have now.

Whoever said they are not good enough is deluded. They were probably the same people who thought Higuain was not good enough.

I would love Costa we dont need world class all over we just need class, and giroud and arteta are average at best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

My point still stands, the club has plenty of finance available, is more than happy to boast about being affluent & amongst the world's richest & yet is quick enough to raise ticket prices for supporters at any opportunity whilst saying the club is broke :mad:

well you're completely correct about this, no question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Any midfield player we get should not be easily bossed and able to stand up for himself. Would have loved Yaya.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

are they not tied into paying about 20mil a season until about 2030 for the stadium?

they've 120mil in the bank, which is apparently going to be 175/180 in the summer & 70mil coming in every season for the next 5 years

you're bound to see why people are ranting about not spending money

Correct. They probably have around £100m to spend in the summer on transfers (incl the first year of wages of any players they buy). Which I hope they do spend, on the right players. However some earlier posts were glossing over the fact that up until very recently we had to make an annual operating profit (after player trading) of £20m just to meet the debt repayments, and this was not easy based on the commercial deals we had been locked into. It will be much easier going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Roll on Tuesday

If we do win the cup it just shows, give wenger money and he will win trophies for you. Hopefully the board back him again in the summer and who knows.

What a ****ty day fellow gunners, goodnight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I don't think wenger will stay on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I do think we should stick with Wenger and I agree with a lot of what you say. But he has huge flaws. And he's not learning. Why would he splurge in the summer? That's not really his style. Its so frustrating because we're so close and have been for a couple of seasons now. We've needed a striker since the end of last season. He's let 2 windows go by. Massive massive mistake. He deserves time to get it right but my head is saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement