Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Of course it has to do with AW, but based on resourses its exactly what he should be doing.

Most Liverpool managers the last 20 years have been below standard. They finally get in a good manager with Rodgers and look at them.

Arsenal have some of the biggest commercial deals in the league, big stadium, high paying fans. Hardly a pauper. Its not that he isn't winning the league, but he shows no signs that they are closer to winning it than years ago.

Good managers don't make mistakes, good managers learn from them. Which of these is Wenger?

Well said. This is why Wenger is average at present. Doesn' learn from his mistakes! Why can't most of the Arsenal fans here see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

G1032 wrote: »
    Worth a read........ A lot of valid points

http://le-grove.co.uk/2014/03/23/i-hope-arsene-doesnt-sign/

Can't argue with most of that.

These bits stand out for me:

"Tactics: He has no interest in the opposition. He’s on record as saying so and you can see it in our approach, which bar the odd personnel change, is always the same. There is never a surprise when Arsenal play."

"We have ONE striker. We’ve been through two transfer windows and that wasn’t addressed. It’s negligence in the extreme."

Personally I'm starting to consider the possibility that no matter what players he brings in we may never see major success again unless he adapts to modern management, tactical variations at the very least.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous couple of sentences I've ever read on the internet............
    I didn't continue to read the rest of the post...............

Wenger the Master of failure lol as. Morninho points out.

You should read the the rest of my post to understand why I think he is now an average manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭G1032

keano_afc wrote: »
    Finding it hard to disagree with a lot of that.

Ya. Me too. I'd be in the pro Wenger camp but that article alone world make one think twice

omega man wrote: »
    Can't argue with most of that.

These bits stand out for me:

"Tactics: He has no interest in the opposition. He’s on record as saying so and you can see it in our approach, which bar the odd personnel change, is always the same. There is never a surprise when Arsenal play."

"We have ONE striker. We’ve been through two transfer windows and that wasn’t addressed. It’s negligence in the extreme."

Personally I'm starting to consider the possibility that no matter what players he brings in we may never see major success again unless he adapts to modern management, tactical variations at the very least.

And if people bothered to read my post properly this is more or less what I said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Interesting that after the beating we got last night people blame Wenger.
    I blame Ox.

Who does that so early in a game:confused:

We have so many players unavailable at this stage - crucial players - that it was no surprise to me that the end of the season will be a tough one.
    With City and Everton left to play being in 4th would be acceptable, and all we deserve now.

Money need to be spent in the summer, and we can try again.
    There is a potential, but at this stage we can't compete with Chelsea/City.
    Liverpool is another story this season.

I doubt Wenger, or any other Premier League manager doesn't want to spend money if he had them. If we stay on top 4 - which is achievable now - we should be in position to bring some top players and chase the title next season.

Great start this season, great finish in the last one.
    Now time to do it the right way for the whole season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

but are we not in the same position as last year if we come fourth? not able to sign players until we are fully qualified?

Raf32 wrote: »
    but are we not in the same position as last year if we come fourth? not able to sign players until we are fully qualified?

good point and what if man united by some miracle wins the CL?

they it is only the top 3 that qualify.

Some players may appreciate that - going by the stats - we are well capable of winning the title and reaching something in CL.

Last year we got to the top last minute, this season we "secured" the place earlier in the season, and then injuries arrived.
    Not sure if prospective players, and their agents, have the same view before signing, but it should matter.
    Time will tell.

I hope that doesnt happen but can never be too sure. We have to be coming in the top three and i know it looks tough but all we need is one of them to slip up and hopefully we can take advantage. Need to get that goal difference up, could be crucial to getting third.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Another fan that has not been to a match? If you did you would know how most fans feel the same about Wenger. He is average now at present. Past it. Won't ever win a title or cl with arsenal ever.

Like I said. If he can change his ways next season that's fine but if not be should go. Simple.

I get to my one or two matches a year the United one being the last one. Your posts are idiotic and the fact that you attend more matches than most here does not make your posts anymorr valid than everyone elses.

And to suggest the majority of fans at the games want Wenger out is ridiculous and wrong

That miracle isn't going to happen;) Bayern is undestructible at this moment.

Ox getting banned for three games, when it rains it pours for us I feel. We have nothing on the bench now.

I get to my one or two matches a year the United one being the last one. Your posts are idiotic and the fact that you attend more matches than most here does not make your posts anymorr valid than everyone elses.

And to suggest the majority of fans at the games want Wenger out is ridiculous and wrong

next time i go i will record some footage and post it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Ox getting banned for three games, when it rains it pours for us I feel. We have nothing on the bench now.

One game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

next time i go i will record some footage and post it here

Don't bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

wonski wrote: »
    Interesting that after the beating we got last night people blame Wenger.
    I blame Ox.

Who does that so early in a game:confused:

We have so many players unavailable at this stage - crucial players - that it was no surprise to me that the end of the season will be a tough one.
    With City and Everton left to play being in 4th would be acceptable, and all we deserve now.

Money need to be spent in the summer, and we can try again.
    There is a potential, but at this stage we can't compete with Chelsea/City.
    Liverpool is another story this season.

I doubt Wenger, or any other Premier League manager doesn't want to spend money if he had them. If we stay on top 4 - which is achievable now - we should be in position to bring some top players and chase the title next season.

Great start this season, great finish in the last one.
    Now time to do it the right way for the whole season.

Sorry it's all on wenger for me.

The reasons:

1. His players
    2. 2 transfer windows to address glaring CF problem (summer and winter windows) and injury replacements, specifically Walcott and Ramsey (winter window)
    3. Dubious tactical preparations for top 4 opposition games, particularly away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I hope that doesnt happen but can never be too sure. We have to be coming in the top three and i know it looks tough but all we need is one of them to slip up and hopefully we can take advantage. Need to get that goal difference up, could be crucial to getting third.

Goal difference is irrelevant for arsenal now. There is not a hope in hell of their goal difference catching the other 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

well please god he does leave at the end of the season, and by some almighty quirk, he comes to Anfield as a director for FSG. his mind for running a club financially(at least) is unparalleled.
    I must admit, I always thought his lack of interest in finding a world class GK when they were a world class team held Arsenal back.
    And on another note I think his style is what BR has adapted and slightly changed into the way Liverpool play now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

omega man wrote: »
    Sorry it's all on wenger for me.

3. Dubious tactical preparations for top 4 opposition games, particularly away from home.

Yes and you don't need a tactical master class to play the top 4 away from home.

West Ham and West Brom got a point at stamford bridge this season with defensive discipline, Norwich beat City at the etihad.

If Wenger even just set the team up to keep things tight in the first half then try to nick a goal in the second half, we may win, we may lose but at least we have a plan.

He did it to get us to the champions league final in 06 but won't do it any more for some reason.

These big hammering by our rivals are damaging our fans, our reputation with sponsors and chances of buying top players in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wenger an 'average' manager who will not be remembered? I've heard it all now.
    Yes, I'm sure when people visit the stadium he brought us to and look at the one of a kind golden Premier League trophy that sits there people will be scratching their heads thinking, "What average manager did all of this?".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Worth a read........ A lot of valid points

http://le-grove.co.uk/2014/03/23/i-hope-arsene-doesnt-sign/

a good article. I'll never call for his head though, he'll always be a hero of mine. But his flaws being so ruthlessly exposed by that ..... individual..... Mourinho, that hurts.
    I dunno i'ld like to see him succeed, but if he stepped down after winning the FA Cup then he could do so with his reputation and dignity restored I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Anybody know where I can rewatch the game lads? Was away yesterday so I missed it

sonic85 wrote: »
    Anybody know where I can rewatch the game lads? Was away yesterday so I missed it

You really dont want to do that to yourself

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wenger an 'average' manager who will not be remembered? I've heard it all now.
    Yes, I'm sure when people visit the stadium he brought us to and look at the one of a kind golden Premier League trophy that sits there people will be scratching their heads thinking, "What average manager did all of this?".

Di matteo must be hailed as a god then as he done what wenger could never do and win CL and become the first london team to do so lol.

But no he is not legend, not world class manager. It is just like wenger. he has been average for a very long time!

I know not many would agree with me but with Klopp and Guardiola not available I would take Benitez if Wenger stepped down.

Won two La Liga's, Champions League, Uefa Cup, FA Cup got to another Champions League final and nearly a Premier League title with Liverpool.

One of the best tactical managers around and he can beat Mourinho.

I know not many would agree with me but with Klopp and Guardiola not available I would take Benitez if Wenger stepped down.

Won two La Liga's, Champions League, Uefa Cup, FA Cup got to another Champions League final and nearly a Premier League title with Liverpool.

I would be gutted if we took such a step down from Wenger to Rafa tbh. Klopp or Low for me.

You really dont want to do that to yourself

Ah I do! I was getting stopped by strangers in the street having a laugh at me. Seems I picked a bad day to wear my jersey

Ah I do! I was getting stopped by strangers in the street having a laugh at me. Seems I picked a bad day to wear my jersey

Ouch, your taking one for the team :pac: id say you could get the highlights on bbc player for motd but not sure after that.

• Advertisement

Ouch, your taking one for the team :pac: id say you could get the highlights on bbc player for motd but not sure after that.

Thatll do ill have a look - thanks!

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/chelsea-6-arsenal-0-motd/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Di matteo must be hailed as a god then as he done what wenger could never do and win CL and become the first london team to do so lol.

But no he is not legend, not world class manager. It is just like wenger. he has been average for a very long time!

How many trophies has Di Mattteo won? How many Arsenal managers have won more trophies than Wenger? How many managers have won more premier league titles than Wenger?

Answer those questions, just the numbers will do and then try and rationalise what you're saying using reason and logic, then I want you to write out a dictionary definition of the word average. It will give me a good laugh if nothing else.

If Wenger is "average", i hate to see what the other 19 managers in the league are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Rafa isnt good for the long term. Look at what happened at Liverpool. He had a couple of good seasons then went downhill fast. I wouldnt want him for more than a year while we waited for our first choice to become available. Even then he wouldnt be close to being my first choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

if he does not re sign who would folks like to be the next manager?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

bad2dabone wrote: »

Klopp would be my dream candidate, he looks more gettable than this time last year too what with the rest of the league looking like feeder clubs to Bayern at this stage. Still highly unlikely though of course.

bad2dabone wrote: »

Klopp but wont happen. Low would be excellent imo and definitely would take it. Martinez in 3 years time, not now. But really want Arsene to stay he still has a lot to offer.

Jan Aage Fjortoft ‏@JanAageFjortoft 8s
    Re: Draxler
    Looks like Arsenal have cooled down their interest in player after scouting reports tell them he can't be made into a striker

Maybe we are looking for the striker afterall

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Klopp would be my dream candidate, he looks more gettable than this time last year too what with the rest of the league looking like feeder clubs to Bayern at this stage. Still highly unlikely though of course.

Very unlikely I'd say he signed a new contract six months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Rafa isnt good for the long term. Look at what happened at Liverpool. He had a couple of good seasons then went downhill fast. I wouldnt want him for more than a year while we waited for our first choice to become available. Even then he wouldnt be close to being my first choice.

You listen too much to the british media who portray him as lucky or a failure?

he competed and beat Barca and Real in Spain, twice winning La Liga, he won a CL with Liverpool, with a poor squad, mainly with his tactical acumen, he also got them to a second CL final in 2007 with his squad and was unlucky to lose to Milan. In 2008 Liverpool played open expansive football and challenged for the league, that he got no backing after this from owners you would not wish on any club paved the way for him to leave Liverpool. (Even in the position Liverpool are in now and the football they are playing under Rodgers, there are still a sizeable amount of Liverpool fans that would welcome back Rafa tomorrow) He also put a lot of effort into the Liverpool academy and brought in Borrell from Barca to develop it further. Some of those academy players are starting to come through, Flanagan, Sterling etc
    He also won the Europa league with Chelsea. even allowing for ignorant, unintelligent Chelsea fans wanting him out LOL.
    He is one of the best managers in world football, if Wenger was to go and with the panel and academy you have, he would be a great replacement. Personally, I would not get rid of Wenger if I was Arsenal, but he does need to listen to some advice and take it on board, if he remains belligerent to criticism then he will sign his own warrant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yesterday was a very low point; I don't think anyone can disagree that AW is one of the greatest of all times but he does have very apparent flaws. It was as clear as day from the first 5 minutes; even before they scored the first that Mourinho had taken the Rodgers template and applied it to us; cede massive possession, flood the midfield and then counter down the flanks as our full backs push up. The madness of not directing Gibbs and Sagna to be more conservative, but more pointedly, not directing Arteta to sit was criminal.

Notwithstanding that I think player for player they are better than us; they're not 6 goals better than us and the blame for that lies squarely with the manager. His refusal to alter his approach has yielded some serious hammerings for us this year; you just can't go away from home and play the way we play with the players we have and expect to win.

Giroud isn't good enough; Arteta's legs are gone, Gibbs needs to seriously improve, Santi is suffering somewhat from second season syndrome and as much as I like Poldi, he's not a starter against opponents the calibre of Chelsea.

Yesterday would make me think that Wenger might not sign a new contract.

Gonna say something and nobody will agree with me but in the big games i would'nt play Arteta and Per. Teams are seeing how slow they are and with that they can push their line forward because we have no threat in behind with Walcott out. This means they can literally play through us and in behind. Any player with a bit of pace and we are in trouble. Only my two cents but cant be carrying 3 passengers (arteta, giroud, per) in big games. We could get away with one and i would make the exception for Per because he is world class but the other two cant be starting.

cson wrote: »
    Yesterday was a very low point; I don't think anyone can disagree that AW is one of the greatest of all times but he does have very apparent flaws. It was as clear as day from the first 5 minutes; even before they scored the first that Mourinho had taken the Rodgers template and applied it to us; cede massive possession, flood the midfield and then counter down the flanks as our full backs push up. The madness of not directing Gibbs and Sagna to be more conservative, but more pointedly, not directing Arteta to sit was criminal.

Notwithstanding that I think player for player they are better than us; they're not 6 goals better than us and the blame for that lies squarely with the manager. His refusal to alter his approach has yielded some serious hammerings for us this year; you just can't go away from home and play the way we play with the players we have and expect to win.

Giroud isn't good enough; Arteta's legs are gone, Gibbs needs to seriously improve, Santi is suffering somewhat from second season syndrome and as much as I like Poldi, he's not a starter against opponents the calibre of Chelsea.

Yesterday would make me think that Wenger might not sign a new contract.

Gibbs frustrates me the most, I was at the Everton game at the Emirates and he lost the ball deep in Everton's half then proceeded to jog back to try regain his position, he just doesn't seem to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Mikel's legs are gone, playing in midfield with the game we play just makes it more apparent. Got two great years out of him and he can probably do a job for us off the bench or against teams that aren't as technically good as us but he can't be starting from next season onwards. Same goes for Flamini.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Some of the sh*t spouted in here since last night is my biggest hate in football.

Media/Fans are portraying Roger as doing amazing, one poster said he took Arsenes template and adapted and now there great? They are 3 pts ahead of Arsenal out of both domestic cups and had no European football to worry about. We also have an awful injury table yet some are talking about him to Barcelona and/or a new long term contract with Liverpool but Arsene is past it? Really?

No issue with saying a manager needs to go but he is two winnable wins away from an FA cup, closer to a league title than we have been for years. If there is now money to spend and he is willing to spend it then he deserves the next 3 years to give it a go, if it's there and he doesn't want to spend it then that's a different matter.

Before any Pool fan bites the above isn't aimed at Rogers it's aimed at those calling for two different outcomes for two managers who's season isn't a hairs length apart

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How many trophies has Di Mattteo won? How many Arsenal managers have won more trophies than Wenger? How many managers have won more premier league titles than Wenger?

Answer those questions, just the numbers will do and then try and rationalise what you're saying using reason and logic, then I want you to write out a dictionary definition of the word average. It will give me a good laugh if nothing else.

how many CL has wenger won?

How many has guadiola, morinho etc won? loads more then wenger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You don't know what the word average means.

It does not mean 'not top level'

how many CL has wenger won?

How many has guadiola, morinho etc won? loads more then wenger

Pep hasnt taken the hardest jobs in the world in fairness to him, handed two of the best teams ever. Sure he didnt a good bit with Barca but he was literally handed that Munich team which is near perfect. How much money has Mourinho had? He has always been backed well.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Some of the sh*t spouted in here since last night is my biggest hate in football.

Media/Fans are portraying Roger as doing amazing, one poster said he took Arsenes template and adapted and now there great? They are 3 pts ahead of Arsenal out of both domestic cups and had no European football to worry about. We also have an awful injury table yet some are talking about him to Barcelona and/or a new long term contract with Liverpool but Arsene is past it? Really?

No issue with saying a manager needs to go but he is two winnable wins away from an FA cup, closer to a league title than we have been for years. If there is now money to spend and he is willing to spend it then he deserves the next 3 years to give it a go, if it's there and he doesn't want to spend it then that's a different matter.

Before any Pool fan bites the above isn't aimed at Rogers it's aimed at those calling for two different outcomes for two managers who's season isn't a hairs length apart

you still dont get it. It is not about us being out of the title race, it is the manner in which we always falter in the exact same ****ing way for the past 9 years that you do not get at all!

Id take a 2:0 loss to chelsea with a performance that really stressed and troubled and matches chelsea over a piss poor sunday leage performance.

Wenger is tacicaly clueless. That is the damm point. There is even a article that someone posted here that you should read to actually understand!

Pep hasnt taken the hardest jobs in the world in fairness to him, handed two of the best teams ever. Sure he didnt a good bit with Barca but he was literally handed that Munich team which is near perfect. How much money has Mourinho had? He has always been backed well.

How much money did Morinho have at Porto?

Again missing the point, Wenger is tactically clueless

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement