Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

That doesn't explain how he's a complete lunatic over buying and selling. :confused:

Elementary dear Watson. He pays big bucks for players and doesnt give them enough time to settle before selling them again. I noticed that pattern at Liverpool. He threw money around like confetti and half the players were sold on for a loss in no length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Elementary dear Watson. He pays big bucks for players and doesnt give them enough time to settle before selling them again. I noticed that pattern at Liverpool. He threw money around like confetti and half the players were sold on for a loss in no length of time.

Like who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

This is the talk on twitter, don't know what to make of it:

"Wenger told the players in the dressing room after the CFC game he is finished at the end of the season. Media blackout since then"

"AFC doing everything to get Arsene to change his mind. AW told the players to give everything for him from now until the end of the season"

"Players been told not to speak to press or post anything suggestive on social media. However player have told family members about the news"

"Arsene was apparently close to tears and told the players "play for me until the end of this season"

Jaafa wrote: »

"Wenger told the players in the dressing room after the CFC game he is finished at the end of the season. Media blackout since then"

"AFC doing everything to get Arsene to change his mind. AW told the players to give everything for him from now until the end of the season"

"Players been told not to speak to press or post anything suggestive on social media. However player have told family members about the news"

"Arsene was apparently close to tears and told the players "play for me until the end of this season"

Could be scare tactics.

Jaafa wrote: »

From the same "source" that said Higuain signed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The other rumour is that Akpom has been recalled. Not sure on either to be honest.

Like who?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221975/Rafa-Benitezs-229m-spending-spree-The-76-players-signed-Liverpool-managers-reign.html

Im not questioning why he got rid of them but both the actual fact he signed them for the money he did and the timeframe that some of them got to succeed. Aquilani being the biggest example with Robbie Keane being another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Technically he did sign, just not for us :pac::(

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Technically he did sign, just not for us :pac::(

As i said at the time i reckon the biro failed during signing the contract with us and we haggled the price for a new biro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

As disgusted as Wenger is I'm sure he wouldn't make a rash decision because of one defeat. He will know he went the bridge with a fairly depleted 11.

Doesn't strike me as the type that would lose control of himself like that and say I'm done, he is known for playing his cards close to his chest. He also knows players are cnuts and would blurt it in minutes

• Advertisement

Soups123 wrote: »
    As disgusted as Wenger is I'm sure he wouldn't make a rash decision because of one defeat. He will know he went the bridge with a fairly depleted 11.

Doesn't strike me as the type that would lose control of himself like that and say I'm done, he is known for playing his cards close to his chest. He also knows players are cnuts and would blurt it in minutes

He is known to flip and lose it after those sort of games though. Perhaps not when we were depleted after the hidings at Old Trafford given the circumstances but definitely id imagine after Anfield last month, after Milan in 2012 and after yesterday.

Personally i reckon the hesitance could be down to a reluctance to sign on. I think he has accepted he has brought them far as he can. He has brought Ozil who hasn't exactly illuminated us to the level we anticipated. He may come good yet but needs to apply himself better

Keep hearing about the depleted first 11, there were maybe 3 of the first-choice 11 missing, it's not excuse.

Ah now.

I feel like I'm slamming my head against a wall...

Ozil is world class. BUT he is not the Ronaldo/Messi that takes a game by the scruff of the neck.

He's a world class PROVIDER.

Who does he have in front of him to provide for? Give him a healthy Walcott ora striker with a bit of pace and Ozil won't play any differently, but the plaudits will come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

seems like Woj is the fall guy so if the star is to be believed

Keep hearing about the depleted first 11, there were maybe 3 of the first-choice 11 missing, it's not excuse.

I missed you and your cheery ways.

How would Liverpool get on without sturridge, suarez and gerrard?

Or City without Aguero or Yaya?

They're not just 3 of our first choice. Ramsey, Walcott and Ozil are our top 3 goal getters!

Yep id agree. We had a strong enough eleven to go out and put the heat on yesterday. There was no raw young fellows or newbies. Plenty of experience but we fúcked it up yet again. I think personally we over-complicate things with our style of play. Dawdled on the ball far too much

Not making excuses for Saturday I think tactically a draw was possible. We are missing Wilshire, Ramsey, Walcott & Ozil let's be honest they improve the team greatly and to me that's depleted

Guardian reporting Kos out for Tuesday with a calf injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Maybe three? Go away with that. There were at least three (Walcott, Ozil, Ramsey) and possibly a 4th (Wilshere) and the three we were missing weren't just any three, they were arguably our three best players!

I'm upset about the loss too, but to dismiss their absence as though it would've been the same game even with them there is utter nonsense.

It was certainly a depleted first 11. Take Barcelona without Iniesta, Messi and Xavi, or Real without Ronaldo, Bale and Alonso, or City without Toure, Aguero and Silva (probably the most apt comparison really, their engine, biggest goal that and best provider), would they not be depleted?

You just love moaning for its own sake, I think. There's loads to moan about without talking crap.

• Advertisement

They're not just 3 of our first choice. Ramsey, Walcott and Ozil are our top 3 goal getters!

Looking deeper though how is it other clubs aren't decimated as much? Wenger has only accepted now that this has to be looked into but thats a classic case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.
    I cant remember having long term injuries during the time of the invincibles or the old rear guard even in the early Wenger days.

Cheery/realistic, whatever. Pretty sure I called it that 3rd was the best we could hope, looks like I was being optimistic after all.

They would've got 7 between them yeah? The attack wasn't the issue, the sleepy defence and midfield right from the start were the bloody problem. Exactly the same as against Liverpool.

They would've got 7 between them yeah? The attack wasn't the issue, the sleepy defence and midfield right from the start were the bloody problem. Exactly the same as against Liverpool.

I dont blame the back four. They were trying to contain a tidal wave. I totally blame the midfield though. Arteta may has well have been throwing lettuce at a big tractor.

Cheery/realistic, whatever. Pretty sure I called it that 3rd was the best we could hope, looks like I was being optimistic after all.

Yep. Would have been the same, of course it would have. :rolleyes:

Good to have you back after your self-enforced abscence. Must be just a mad coincidence that it's after a 6-0 drubbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221975/Rafa-Benitezs-229m-spending-spree-The-76-players-signed-Liverpool-managers-reign.html

Im not questioning why he got rid of them but both the actual fact he signed them for the money he did and the timeframe that some of them got to succeed. Aquilani being the biggest example with Robbie Keane being another

So two examples means he doesn't give players enough time to settle. Fair enough. Do the countless he has signed and player under him long term not balance this out or are they irrelevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I dont blame the back four. They were trying to contain a tidal wave. I totally blame the midfield though. Arteta may has well have been throwing lettuce at a big tractor.

Gibbs didn't help either, flanking up the pitch and not making it back to cover as Chelsea swarmed up.

There is so many rumours going on and a bit of mystery is in the air but no news is good news tbh. The time for words is over, having a pre-match conference isn't going to do much good, so I think that's the correct decision.

If Akpom has been called back then that's an interesting development and we could see Giroud dropped for Tuesday.

If Wenger did echo those comments to his players it could be genius bluffing on his part to spur his players on, because obviously what was being said before wasn't sinking in for certain players.

Some people are defintely going to be dropped for Swansea to send a message, and I think that what happened on Saturday is a turning point.
    I expect Arsene to stay beyond season's end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I wanted to post this in the Chelsea Arsenal thread but it's been closed. It's basically a told you so - that there shouldn't have been a sending off....

Daily Mirror
    Under FA rules, Arsenal will have their appeal on the grounds of mistaken identity upheld, although Wembley beaks also had the power to intervene even if there was no claim by the Gunners.

That would leave Oxlade-Chamberlain due to serve a one-match ban for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity.

But as Hazard’s shot was actually going wide of Wojciech Szczesny’s goal, Arsenal have been told an appeal against the actual red card decision is likely to be upheld as well, despite the fact that Oxlade-Chamberlain handled because he believed the ball was going in.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-applying-fa-stop-playing-3275997#ixzz2wpRFQFRs
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

The best we could hope for preseason in your opinion involved our top scorer missing the whole year and Ramsey missing half the season? Not to mention injuries to Ozil, Arteta, Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere, ...

I knew you were a pessimist, but that's taking the piss surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gibbs didn't help either, flanking up the pitch and not making it back to cover as Chelsea swarmed up.

There is so many rumours going on and a bit of mystery is in the air but no news is good news tbh. The time for words is over, having a pre-match conference isn't going to do much good, so I think that's the correct decision.

If Akpom has been called back then that's an interesting development and we could see Giroud dropped for Tuesday.

If Wenger did echo those comments to his players it could be genius bluffing on his part to spur his players on, because obviously what was being said before wasn't sinking in for certain players.

Some people are defintely going to be dropped for Swansea to send a message, and I think that what happened on Saturday is a turning point.
    I expect Arsene to stay beyond season's end.

Gibbs was the weak link defensively but the game was lost in midfield. We were obliterated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

greendom wrote: »
    I wanted to post this in the Chelsea Arsenal thread but it's been closed. It's basically a told you so - that there shouldn't have been a sending off....

Daily Mirror

Exactly like yourself and I argued if I recall correctly.

Walcott and Ozil being famed for their holding and chasing back of course.
    The whole team should be ****ing ashamed of themselves and excusing any element of the performance because some attacking players were missing is laughable. But let's keep doing the same thing and banging the same drum and let's celebrate 4th and a healthy balance sheet and stability for the foreseeable future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Tim Sherwood: Southampton fightback can fire Tottenham past Arsenal

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/23/tim-sherwood-southampton-tottenham-arsenal-champions-league

They really never learn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Very disappointed with the result from Saturday obviously. Didn't get to see the match, thankfully, but from reading what has been said here it seems like it was the same story as the Liverpool game.

Giroud has come in for a lot of criticism lately, which is fair enough, but it is good to see that he is not being blamed for the bad result again, as I think it was detracting from the real problems that we have.

Giroud is not a beast of a player, but I do think he is better than we have seen from him this season. People say that it is Giroud's fault that Ozil has not been as good as we expected, but if we want out strikers to score goals, surely we should play to their strengths? I think Ramsey was doing that with Giroud, playing off him and scoring goals because of it but when he got injured nobody took up that role and we have suffered for it. I think if someone could do that between now and the end of the season, we could finish very strongly.

My biggest worry though is that if the players couldn't motivate themselves for Saturday, of all days, how can we finish strongly at all? Normally, motivation should come from Wenger, but given that it was supposed to be his day and from all the wonderful stories from players about him and what he has done for all of them, surely all the existing players should have been trying to play out of their skins yesterday.

For all the talk of Ozil being poor, I think Cazorla has been much more anonymous and basically just bad for us this year, especially knowing what he is capable of doing. Some of this probably comes from trying to fit in with Ozil but I would have expected to see some improvement by now.

I think we do need an improvement in the midfield from what has been playing recently. I know some of this comes from Ramsey being injured but our back up solution needs to be a whole lot better than what it is now. I think Arteta is definitely on a downward slope but is still a very valuable asset. However, if he didn't play against any of the big teams for the rest of the season (at least) I think it would be a very good idea.

Tim Sherwood: Southampton fightback can fire Tottenham past Arsenal

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/23/tim-sherwood-southampton-tottenham-arsenal-champions-league

They really never learn...
    I dont want to get too cocky yet though, could easily not win any of our next three games and then we are in trouble. Beat Swansea, hopefully the toon take something of everton and that should put it to bed however.

The best we could hope for preseason in your opinion involved our top scorer missing the whole year and Ramsey missing half the season? Not to mention injuries to Ozil, Arteta, Cazorla, Ox, Wilshere, ...

I knew you were a pessimist, but that's taking the piss surely?
    Was I wrong? I backed up my arguments with statistics based on corresponding fixtures and it's panned out as I said it would. I made predictions on how the tough run of fixtures around the Munich matches would go and wasn't far off. Were others expecting a miraculously injury-free season for us for the first time in living memory?
    I would've ****ing loved to still have a shot at the league or to not get embarrassed in the last 16 of the CL but I'm not f*cking deluded and to get called pessimistic when I've been shown to have been too optimistic is really funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Walcott and Ozil being famed for their holding and chasing back of course.
    The whole team should be ****ing ashamed of themselves and excusing any element of the performance because some attacking players were missing is laughable. But let's keep doing the same thing and banging the same drum and let's celebrate 4th and a healthy balance sheet and stability for the foreseeable future.

Here here :pac:
    I'm trying to be positive from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Saw a stat on sky sports earlier saying we had taken 4 out of a possible 45 points from top 4 clashes in last 5 years :eek:

Staggering if correct.

omega man wrote: »
    Saw a stat on sky sports earlier saying we had taken 4 out of a possible 45 points from top 4 clashes in last 5 years :eek:

Staggering if correct.

They conveniently left out that it was away game to make it sound worse but it still is atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Raf32 wrote: »
    They conveniently left out that it was away game to make it sound worse but it still is atrocious

Makes more sense then but still as you say not good at all.

Lies, damned lies and statistics :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I dont want to get too cocky yet though, could easily not win any of our next three games and then we are in trouble. Beat Swansea, hopefully the toon take something of everton and that should put it to bed however.

Oh I'm not getting too cocky either, we're by no means in the clear yet. I just think it's silly for him to be saying publicly that they can catch us considering their record in that regard. Maybe he's hoping for another "negative spiral" :)

Oh I'm not getting too cocky either, we're by no means in the clear yet. I just think it's silly for him to be saying publicly that they can catch us considering their record in that regard. Maybe he's hoping for another "negative spiral" :)

Lets hope we have one so :)

• Advertisement

/crosses fingers for a negative spiral

Pretty embarrassing from Per to be honest, poor timing if trying to be funny too

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/23/arsenal-arsene-wenger?CMP=twt_gu

Pretty embarrassing from Per to be honest, poor timing if trying to be funny too

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/23/arsenal-arsene-wenger?CMP=twt_gu

Bit harsh on Mert but he has a point we are **** at early starts I fckin hate them

Bit harsh on Mert but he has a point we are **** at early starts I fckin hate them

I just feel it shouldnt be a factor and although it is it shouldnt be acknowledged by the players like no excuses over time, it was only across london.

I just feel it shouldnt be a factor and although it is it shouldnt be acknowledged by the players like no excuses over time, it was only across london.

I hear ya but tbh the mental side of sport is under scored it's becoming more prevelant year on year and teams that don't consider it lose out. There is a reason Fergie and Hose put so much time into the mind games!

So two examples means he doesn't give players enough time to settle. Fair enough. Do the countless he has signed and player under him long term not balance this out or are they irrelevant?

Personally i think he squandered more money than enough. He spent it like a child on new toys. Great man manager and rules with an iron fist but is almost the other extreme opposite of Wenger. He thinks money grows on trees.

Ah no thats not on. Were losing because we're playing shíte. Nothing to do with early starts. The invincibles won many 12.45 games back a decade ago.

Ah no thats not on. Were losing because we're playing shíte. Nothing to do with early starts. The invincibles won many 12.45 games back a decade ago.

I'm not fcukin buying into it but for a player to say it, means it's in the thinking that's all, the mental side of the game needs addressing at Arsenal.

We lost on Sat heavily cause of many reason mental psychy is one of them

Isn't there more 12.45 games this season because of BT Sports entry into the market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The majority of our games left (5) will be played during the evening.

When we play City on Saturday, with a 17:30 kick-off, Chelsea will have already played.
    I think a sports psychologist should be looked into for next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement