Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

if you're paid tens of thousands of pounds to play football you should be ready to play it at any time of the day or night!

Soups123 wrote: »
    I'm not fcukin buying into it but for a player to say it, means it's in the thinking that's all, the mental side of the game needs addressing at Arsenal.

We lost on Sat heavily cause of many reason mental psychy is one of them

I was more talking to Mert in my reply than yourself tbh but i just think the team lacks work ethic. Its really simple but that is what i perceive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

More excuses...this is the type of crap that drives fans mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

bad2dabone wrote: »
    if you're paid tens of thousands of pounds to play football you should be ready to play it at any time of the day or night!

Agree but it really isn't that simple, a fight with the missus, a night out and your mate not you getting the shag :), media counting minutes since you scored, years since a trophy, % of losses kicking off early, family issues all gets into the head. Money provides a boost for a very limited time in all jobs

Probably tongue in cheek from Mert. Very good pro but it was a poor error of judgement from him trying to enlighten a time when emotions were raw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

It's a light hearted discussion about mental prep in football not excuses for Saturday. Most Arsenal fans would agree player on player we had the beating of united this year but mentally couldn't up it for the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Probably tongue in cheek from Mert. Very good pro but it was a poor error of judgement from him trying to enlighten a time when emotions were raw.

Ya you're probably right...it's just annoyed me! I think all the slagging I've had to take since has taken its toll :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Raf32 wrote: »

More a devolution tbh. The club has stagnated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

More a devolution tbh. The club has stagnated.

Over the second half of his time at Arsenal the evolution had been more off pitch than on it but the club has still been evolving.

Anyway what has increasing power to the regions got to do with anything ? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Id be shocked and disappointed if Wenger has made up his mind already.

He can win an FA Cup and guarantee top 4. It seems obvious he intimated to Ozil his plans for the next couple of years. Ramsey hinted at something similar last week after signing.

This goodbye to Wenger is very premature to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Id be shocked and disappointed if Wenger has made up his mind already.

He can win an FA Cup and guarantee top 4. It seems obvious he intimated to Ozil his plans for the next couple of years. Ramsey hinted at something similar last week after signing.

This goodbye to Wenger is very premature to me.

I can only see us pushing on again next year under wenger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

bad2dabone wrote: »

And be able to play for more then once a week without moaning about fatigue and ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

And be able to play for more then once a week without moaning about fatigue and ****

So money is the cure for tiredness now?

Some awful rubbish spouted in here lately.

So money is the cure for tiredness now?

Some awful rubbish spouted in here lately.

tiredness? they get ****ing paid 100k a week whilst many of us here takes us 5+ years to earn that amount whilst working alll ****ty hours 5-6 times a week?

You dont see Messi complaining

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Can you expand on that?

I can't see anything other than more of the same next season to be honest. We need 3-4 exceptional players to challenge when the injuries come. I don't trust Wenger to sign them. We need to avoid losing our better players for the usual 2-3 months with injury. I see no reason to doubt more of the same next season. We need Wenger to completely change his philosophy in relation to game preparation. Prepare for the opposition and set the team out accordingly. He's admitted that isn't his style. Can that change over the summer? I doubt it.

He has so much work to do in the off season if we're to challenge next year. Can he do it? I don't know.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Can you expand on that?

I can't see anything other than more of the same next season to be honest. We need 3-4 exceptional players to challenge when the injuries come. I don't trust Wenger to sign them. We need to avoid losing our better players for the usual 2-3 months with injury. I see no reason to doubt more of the same next season. We need Wenger to completely change his philosophy in relation to game preparation. Prepare for the opposition and set the team out accordingly. He's admitted that isn't his style. Can that change over the summer? I doubt it.

He has so much work to do in the off season if we're to challenge next year. Can he do it? I don't know.

I think we would have prob won the league or came very very close had Ramsey and Walcott stayed fit

That's with giroud up top and not a great sitting midfielder been honest

I think he will address them two postions and have the two boys fit I think we will push on and put up a serious challenge next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

tiredness? they get ****ing paid 100k a week whilst many of us here takes us 5+ years to earn that amount whilst working alll ****ty hours 5-6 times a week?

Do you see our players complaining? You can't discount the fact that playing more games will obviously fatigue you more, money doesn't change that. (This obviously has no bearing on the chelsea game because they also play in the CL)

Mertesacker was clearly joking, football supporters really are so sensitive.

Do you see our players complaining? You can't discount the fact that playing more games will obviously fatigue you more, money doesn't change that. (This obviously has no bearing on the chelsea game because they also play in the CL)

Exactly ya get fatigued even a 5/10% drop off and your found out at this level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think we would have prob won the league or came very very close had Ramsey and Walcott stayed fit

That's with giroud up top and not a great sitting midfielder been honest

I think he will address them two postions and have the two boys fit I think we will push on and put up a serious challenge next year

We won't sign another holding mid, now we have flamini, it was a gaping hole for years and he filled it in his eyes.

Rest of your points I agree but Walcott is so unreliable at this stage with injuries, it's a risk.

• Advertisement

no wonder why we keep losing to the big teams seeing as it appears our players dont give a **** and too casual with the silly jokes and selfies.

We won't sign another holding mid, now we have flamini, it was a gaping hole for years and he filled it in his eyes.

Rest of your points I agree but Walcott is so unreliable at this stage with injuries, it's a risk.

He is not startin flamini as it is and he must no arteta don't have the legs
    I would love us to sign bender and we use flamini and arteta as cover

I'm not too sure if I agree with ya on Walcott be different if he was getting soft tissue injuries all season but it was an acl these things happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Missed the game on Saturday had match of the day recorded but my bollocks was I watching that. Can't really comment on performances but fook me that was a complete and utter shambles to be beaten like that ten men or not 6-0 is an embarassment.

I was nervous going into this game but never expected that. Avoided this place yesterday wasn't able for the undoubted meltdown that occured. Really hope they can get there heads back up now league is gone can't have two defeats like we have had this year and still win the league imo.

Worst of all I'm back in work tonight and lucky me gets to work with a Chelsea fan it's going to be a long night.

wenger overplayed walcott imo when he came back from injury. he needed some rest inbetween games but played 7 games in a row.

we need to learn how to rotate our midfield more often and we can as we have lots of midfielders(well we use to as now half of them are injured!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Missed the game on Saturday had match of the day recorded but my bollocks was I watching that. Can't really comment on performances but fook me that was a complete and utter shambles to be beaten like that ten men or not 6-0 is an embarassment.

I was nervous going into this game but never expected that. Avoided this place yesterday wasn't able for the undoubted meltdown that occured. Really hope they can get there heads back up now league is gone can't have two defeats like we have had this year and still win the league imo.

Worst of all I'm back in work tonight and lucky me gets to work with a Chelsea fan it's going to be a long night.

Meltdown is still going on to be honest, not really worth coming back in yet.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Meltdown is still going on to be honest, not really worth coming back in yet.

Ah in fairness I can understand a bit of a meltdown after loss like that, just depends on what kind of meltdown level headed discussion or they way some poster will say things like all our players are shiit how were lucky not be down in mid table kind of ramblings that tend to annoy.

What Wenger really needs to look at this summer imo is our injury concerns which seem to impact us worse season on season and our performances in high pressure matches were for some reason we have a tendency to self destruct there can be no excuses for these kind of games happening far to often.

That and bring in a DM and CF two positions were really struggling with imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ah in fairness I can understand a bit of a meltdown after loss like that, just depends on what kind of meltdown level headed discussion or they way some poster will say things like all our players are shiit how were lucky not be down in mid table kind of ramblings that tend to annoy.

What Wenger really needs to look at this summer imo is our injury concerns which seem to impact us worse season on season and our performances in high pressure matches were for some reason we have a tendency to self destruct there can be no excuses for these kind of games happening far to often.

That and bring in a DM and CF two positions were really struggling with imo.

Yup, it's totally understandable, I should have said it's not worth coming back in yet for me.

If I do come back in now, I'll get sucked into an argument, escalate it until I'm insulting someone, and then get banned. :o

The worst thing about that would be that I'd be arguing with a fellow arsenal supporter who, like me, wants only the best for Arsenal, but we'd just disagree with how to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Your first paragraph is again suggesting that money should somehow cure tiredness. :confused:

And I don't see Messi complaining, no, but then I've never met the man. And just because some players are physically capable of handling it doesn't mean all are equally capable. They're individuals, not machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

wenger overplayed walcott imo when he came back from injury. he needed some rest inbetween games but played 7 games in a row.

we need to learn how to rotate our midfield more often and we can as we have lots of midfielders(well we use to as now half of them are injured!)

I thought they got paid enough not to need rotation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

I thought they got paid enough not to need rotation?

In general I would agree with that but Walcott has been injured so many times that I think he has to be rested at times, just like Wilshere.

It seems ridiculous alright but I think we need to accept it with these players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That has been said for years but still no trophies have arrived.
    It's always "next year" at Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

I think the more accurate way to say it is "i can see the exact same thing next season and the season after that under Wenger, stagnation at best and regression at worst"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I don't really get affected by these 6-0 results. For me its more about progression.

In the last number of years there has been little or no progression - there's an argument that we have declined somewhat given how close 5th has been.

But this year is a little different.

We've competed somewhat and spent a reasonable amount of time on top. The fixtures haven't been kind to us in terms of when the big games came. But we aren't at the Chelsea/Man City level yet. I think we are a better team then Liverpool but they just have momentum and circumstance going for them this year

Before the season kicked off I was fearing a top 4 spot - so many teams improving while we seem to run just to stand still. If you had told me that we'd be in a better position than last year with both ManU and Spurs struggling and we're in a great position for a FA Cup win. I'd have taken it.

It's a big step forward. As is our willingness to spend big on a big player - that can't be overlooked.

Our team still has issues. We still have too many injuries. We still can't compete with those around us that spend too much.

But we are progressing.

The disappointment we feel is because we are pushing forward and coming up short.

We've come through the period were our disappointment COULD have been due to a fall back to a mid-table position or the club imploding to something worse.

Days like last weekend are hard to take but not hard to predict for this team.

The challenge will be to continue with big signings - show that we can follow the signing of Ozil up with others. Get some depth in the squad so that injuries don't impact us as much

Anyway - I for one are looking for to an FA Cup win, a strong end to the season and a more solid league position.

I'd take that

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We might get one in May with any luck which is this year ;)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    We might get one in May with any luck which is this year ;)

Well if we don't the daggers will well and truly be out.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well if we don't the daggers will well and truly be out.

And deservedly so, but let's not act like the season is a complete write off when in reality, we have the best chance of a trophy in years.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    And deservedly so, but let's not act like the season is a complete write off when in reality, we have the best chance of a trophy in years.

Agree BUT there still has to be an inquiry into how we lost 3 games to our rival 6 - 3, 5 - 1 and 6 - 0. and how we couldn't even score one goal against the worst Man Utd team in years. Psychological melt-down yet again or just poor tactics?

Agree BUT there still has to be an inquiry into how we lost 3 games to our rival 6 - 3, 5 - 1 and 6 - 0. and how we couldn't even score one goal against the worst Man Utd team in years. Psychological melt-down yet again or just poor tactics?

A bit of both I think.

A little bit of column A and a little bit of column B.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    I don't really get affected by these 6-0 results. For me its more about progression.

In the last number of years there has been little or no progression - there's an argument that we have declined somewhat given how close 5th has been.

But this year is a little different.

We've competed somewhat and spent a reasonable amount of time on top. The fixtures haven't been kind to us in terms of when the big games came. But we aren't at the Chelsea/Man City level yet. I think we are a better team then Liverpool but they just have momentum and circumstance going for them this year
    I said at the the start of the season we wouldn't maintain because we hadn't improved on enough players and the same old weaknesses would appear. The timing of good/bad results is irrelevant IMO, a team has to be judged over a season and we're on course to barely improve. (The timing of poor form is only relevant if it's a proper collapse at the end for like 1ppg or something causing a team to drop from a useful position).
    Before the season kicked off I was fearing a top 4 spot - so many teams improving while we seem to run just to stand still. If you had told me that we'd be in a better position than last year with both ManU and Spurs struggling and we're in a great position for a FA Cup win. I'd have taken it.
    Imagine United without Moyes and then consider how far we've progressed.
    It's a big step forward. As is our willingness to spend big on a big player - that can't be overlooked.
    Unfortunately we're still not playing to his strengths, it's incredible really and suggests it wasn't a planned buy
    Our team still has issues. We still have too many injuries. We still can't compete with those around us that spend too much.
    We already had the 4th highest wagebill and over the season all the new contracts will have inflated that further.
    But we are progressing.
    Disagree.
    The disappointment we feel is because we are pushing forward and coming up short.
    Usual stuff. 2010-11 we were right up top and then got 12 points from the last 11 matches. That was supposed to be a sign of progress as well at the time. 2009-10 it was 8 points from the last 7.
    We've come through the period were our disappointment COULD have been due to a fall back to a mid-table position or the club imploding to something worse.
    That would've taken some amazing mismanagement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think some of us fans including myself have become institutionalized with Wenger in charge and are terrified of him leaving. Although in saying that I don't think its time for him to go, lets face it we just aren't at the level of Chelsea or City and it is so hard to compete with these clubs giving there vast financial resources. The thing I would criticise the boss on is that he is just so stubborn in his ways and has faith in his players a bit too much. I think we need 4 real top top players (left back, defensive mid, centre forward and pacey winger) to come in in the summer to really push on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Playing Swansea on Tuesday will be very tough now, with the psychological meltdown with the team, and absent injured players? Add to that the doubt over Wenger's future. Anxious does not come close.:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If any of you are interested in the injuries listen to the a Bergkamp wonderland podcast on it, they had a guy on who works with athletes, some sports science type, he spoke a lot about biomechanics regards the players.

In a nutshell:
    General reasons
    Small squad or the preference to use players more than others
    Possession based game based on lots of movement is more demanding than a two banks of four, etc style (pl being a high intensity league too)
    A responsibly on players to say when they're not right (ozil would've known his hamstring wasnt right picking the injury up that early - he sympathised with him though because of the circumstances)
    Players
    Now he answered these in what id call a medical way, not really wanting to say the worst but this is what i took from it, i suppose the worst cases
    Walcott could suffer badly from him injury, pace wise mainly also could get problems with his hamstring where the graft was took from when coming back
    Wishere there's a chance will always be injury prone, guy reckons he runs weird anyway (legs far apart & head up straight) and that could lead to injuries anyway + the fact he had to wear a protective boot when younger - like diaby - both reasons go back to biomechanics
    No surprise but he doesn't see diaby ever making it\lasting at top level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

batistuta9 wrote: »
    If any of you are interested in the injuries listen to the a Bergkamp wonderland podcast on it, they had a guy on who works with athletes, some sports science type, he spoke a lot about biomechanics regards the players.

In a nutshell:
    General reasons
    Small squad or the preference to use players more than others
    Possession based game based on lots of movement is more demanding than a two banks of four, etc style (pl being a high intensity league too)
    A responsibly on players to say when they're not right (ozil would've known his hamstring wasnt right picking the injury up that early - he sympathised with him though because of the circumstances)
    Players
    Now he answered these in what id call a medical way, not really wanting to say the worst but this is what i took from it, i suppose the worst cases
    Walcott could suffer badly from him injury, pace wise mainly also could get problems with his hamstring where the graft was took from when coming back
    Wishere there's a chance will always be injury prone, guy reckons he runs weird anyway (legs far apart & head up straight) and that could lead to injuries anyway + the fact he had to wear a protective boot when younger - like diaby - both reasons go back to biomechanics
    No surprise but he doesn't see diaby ever making it\lasting at top level

Listened to that podcast, was very interesting.
    Regarding Wilshere, you would have thought the medical staff would have known that the muscles in his legs would be of different strengths due to the boot and would have corrected that before he went back playing again.
    He seemed pretty positive about Walcott though, doesn't think he will lose much of his pace.

Doing your acl should have no bearing on your pace when ya come back

dvemail wrote: »
    Listened to that podcast, was very interesting.
    Regarding Wilshere, you would have thought the medical staff would have known that the muscles in his legs would be of different strengths due to the boot and would have corrected that before he went back playing again.
    He seemed pretty positive about Walcott though, doesn't think he will lose much of his pace.

I thought he meant you couldn't really correct it as such, just that it's likely to have a knock on effect

On Walcott, that's why i said a medical answer, one of the others said could he end up like Micheal Owen after the injury and never really come back the same, he that it possible while also giving reasons why he could lose it.
    That'd be a major blow to Walcott as a player

Doing your acl should have no bearing on your pace when ya come back

Why not doctor? ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Tweet from the famous Geoff

GeoffArsenal ‏@GeoffArsenal 12m

Just had it confirmed that the 'rumour' about AW resignation is total rubbish. Now get behind him & the team ffs.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Why not doctor? ha

It might affected your twisting and turning if not rehabbed properly but your not your speed

It might affected your twisting and turning if not rehabbed properly but your not your speed

I think he did mention turning & getting away from someone, take off, etc.
    Can't remember it exactly now

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement