Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Utd beat the bottom club at home 2-0

We get a decent enough point away to saints

All of a sudden it's a 3 way battle between us Liverpool and utd for 2 champions legaue places ffs

It's true, that is what we are playing for, the same as last year, and the year before. Sorry to be pessimistic, but that is the reality. A chance to win FA cup, but with Liverpool to get past and City or Chelsea still in it, who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Lads were on about more long term option with Arteta, Rosicky and Flamini in their 30s (Flamini will turn 30 in March).

We can think long term in the summer, but right now we should be thinking of the present (we have 3 trophies up for grabs), and that is strengthening the weaknesses in our squad which is centre forward and centre back.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    We can think long term in the summer, but right now we should be thinking of the present (we have 3 trophies up for grabs), and that is strengthening the weaknesses in our squad which is centre forward and centre back.

Yeah Id agree with you 100% at this point in time we should be going for players in those two positions. Its unlikely we will get a centre half and will probably just slot in Sagna there if needs be but we do need another man who can put the ball in the net or at least a man who can take players out of the game and leave acres of space for Giroud or whoever is up front on the day for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I dont get in here sometimes.

We are playing and challenging as good as we have been for years and in two days some have suggested Sagna, Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky should be replaced with younger models.

Championship winning teams need senior players 30-33 is senior not past it. Wenger should be focusing on the current weak spots in the squad not looking for emerging talent to replace the above, not at this point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Soups123 wrote: »

We are playing and challenging as good as we have been for years and in two days some have suggested Sagna, Arteta, Flamini and Rosicky should be replaced with younger models.

Championship winning teams need senior players 30-33 is senior not past it. Wenger should be focusing on the current weak spots in the squad not looking for emerging talent to replace the above, not at this point anyway.

Again like posted above people are talking about the future. They are not seeking to sell Arteta and Flamini tomorrow and import two midfielders Friday. It's clear that it is an area we need to be looking at from the summer on.

Again like posted above people are talking about the future. They are not seeking to sell Arteta and Flamini tomorrow and import two midfielders Friday. It's clear that it is an area we need to be looking at from the summer on.

Even in the summer I dont see this being an area needing improvement, both are more than capable of covering the role. Flamini has been outstanding this year and if things go well should be doing this for the next 2/3 years. No player of established note will be willing to come in as his understoody unless they are a lot younger and prepared to play second fiddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I hope we get draxler

It will give a team a mental lift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Even in the summer I dont see this being an area needing improvement, both are more than capable of covering the role. Flamini has been outstanding this year and if things go well should be doing this for the next 2/3 years. No player of established note will be willing to come in as his understoody unless they are a lot younger and prepared to play second fiddle.

The future of CMF will hopefully be Wilshire and Ramsey with a third player as the occasional destroyer option.

We don't need to do anything there for a few years though.

gosplan wrote: »
    The future of CMF will hopefully be Wilshire and Ramsey with a third player as the occasional destroyer option.

We don't need to do anything there for a few years though.

We will definitely need a young defensive midfielder for the start of the 2015/2016 season. It has be an option in the squad. We have never seen Ramsey and Wilshere play consistently as the two in the middle and the likelihood is that defensively it could cause us a lot of issues. Plus with the injuries we tend to always have we will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

There's reports of Huntelaar looking for a move to premier league, now that's a player who will defo improve us.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/schalke-striker-klaas-jan-huntelaar-puts-3089462?#.UukZCT3laSo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Drax the Destroyer get it done Aresne :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

There's reports of Huntelaar looking for a move to premier league, now that's a player who will defo improve us.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/schalke-striker-klaas-jan-huntelaar-puts-3089462?#.UukZCT3laSo

Very good player.
    But I doubt Schalke would Sell Draxler and Huntelaar in the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ronjo

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Very good player.
    But I doubt Schalke would Sell Draxler and Huntelaar in the same year.

So maybe Arsenal have been trolling us all along and thats who we are after..

ronjo wrote: »

That would be awesome. Come'on Wenger do it....:D

That would be awesome. Come'on Wenger do it....:D

I would prefer Draxler but maybe get him in now and Draxler in the summer. ;)

Huntelaar would be unreal if we could get him even for a few months on loan. Very RVN-esque. Nothing solid in the news about KJH so far but seems to be plenty with regards Draxler. Both would be a salivating prospect.

What you don't want though is too many old players at once. Players can play one game too many and there is no definite time to when that could be. It could be 30, it could be 40 but legs get old and the standard they are up against grows all of the time.

Its never any harm to plan ahead.

Huntelaar would be unreal if we could get him even for a few months on loan. Very RVN-esque. Nothing solid in the news about KJH so far but seems to be plenty with regards Draxler. Both would be a salivating prospect.

It must be at least the third year in a row that the rumours of Huntelaar have been around.

I just get the feeling that Pololski could be shipped off as part of any deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Or maybbe there doing a Dortmund on us were after Gotze everywhere, Dortmund signing imminent happy days we signed eh who Eisfeld :pac:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

It must be at least the third year in a row that the rumours of Huntelaar have been around.

I just get the feeling that Pololski could be shipped off as part of any deal with them.

I reckon if Podolski was fit and he and Giroud linked up like they did last year, that would be more than enough to win us the title this year, especially now that Ozil is playing with them as well. Given how well he gets on with the rest of the team and his passion for the club, I'd say Podolski would be a massive loss for us. He already has 3 goals and an assist from 6 games. If he got a proper run who knows what damage he could do for us.

farna_boy wrote: »
    I reckon if Podolski was fit and he and Giroud linked up like they did last year, that would be more than enough to win us the title this year, especially now that Ozil is playing with them as well. Given how well he gets on with the rest of the team and his passion for the club, I'd say Podolski would be a massive loss for us. He already has 3 goals and an assist from 6 games. If he got a proper run who knows what damage he could do for us.

What I dont get is how he was fit enough to start against Cardiff almost a month ago but Wenger is saying he is still not fit.
    How long does it take?

BTW I want him to stay too.

Think it was said earlier in the week that Podolski to Schalke was very very unlikely on his part given his Cologne support and background??

Think it was said earlier in the week that Podolski to Schalke was very very unlikely on his part given his Cologne support and background??

Glad to hear it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Interesting that after a draw with Southampton people have started to write us off. It's laughable when you watch TV or read the press - it's all about City or Mourinho/Chelsea ... bet they can't wait for Utd to string three wins together so they can hail the "gathering momentum of the Champions" ... meanwhile we still happen to be leading the Premiership ... obviously by accident or some mistake ...

Of course this will be a difficult time for us - it's a hard run of games and we've been unlucky with injuries. However it will also be a hard run of games for City and Chelsea the difference being that they have larger squads. Therein lies an answer for Arsene - or a question that he has to consider. Are we good enough to win the title with one or two additions or do we wait until the summer. My guess is that he will wait until the summer - I'm not sure he believes we are ready to win the Premiership yet - at least not with so many injuries.

However he may go for Draxler as he can play wide or (if you believe the media) adapt to a central role. I think if he is bought it will be with a view to operate wide with an Ozil/Giroud/Podolski spearhead - particularly an Ozil/Podolski combo with Pod as a central striker. I think Arsene quite likes the idea of a Gnarbry/Ozil/Podolski/Draxler influence on the team. It would also relieve the pressure on Giroud.

If we can get through the tough Feb/March period relatively unscathed and at least beat Utd and City at home and hopefully get a draw with Chelsea and/or Liverpool I think the other two will drop points to each other. Hate Sp**s having any kind of success but I do feel they can beat City tonight - can't see West Ham doing anything against the Chavs but I'll be optimistic as it's a London derby ... so maybe a thrilling 0-0 draw orchestrated by fat big Sam's attacking style of football. I'm not too convinced by City's or Chelsea's defence - in spite of last night I think we have a better back five than either of them. Guess we'll know soon enough.

ugsparky wrote: »
    Interesting that after a draw with Southampton people have started to write us off. It's laughable when you watch TV or read the press - it's all about City or Mourinho/Chelsea ... bet they can't wait for Utd to string three wins together so they can hail the "gathering momentum of the Champions" ... meanwhile we still happen to be leading the Premiership ... obviously by accident or some mistake ...

Of course this will be a difficult time for us - it's a hard run of games and we've been unlucky with injuries. However it will also be a hard run of games for City and Chelsea the difference being that they have larger squads. Therein lies an answer for Arsene - or a question that he has to consider. Are we good enough to win the title with one or two additions or do we wait until the summer. My guess is that he will wait until the summer - I'm not sure he believes we are ready to win the Premiership yet - at least not with so many injuries.

However he may go for Draxler as he can play wide or (if you believe the media) adapt to a central role. I think if he is bought it will be with a view to operate wide with an Ozil/Giroud/Podolski spearhead - particularly an Ozil/Podolski combo with Pod as a central striker. I think Arsene quite likes the idea of a Gnarbry/Ozil/Podolski/Draxler influence on the team. It would also relieve the pressure on Giroud.

If we can get through the tough Feb/March period relatively unscathed and at least beat Utd and City at home and hopefully get a draw with Chelsea and/or Liverpool I think the other two will drop points to each other. Hate Sp**s having any kind of success but I do feel they can beat City tonight - can't see West Ham doing anything against the Chavs but I'll be optimistic as it's a London derby ... so maybe a thrilling 0-0 draw orchestrated by fat big Sam's attacking style of football. I'm not too convinced by City's or Chelsea's defence - in spite of last night I think we have a better back five than either of them. Guess we'll know soon enough.

The knives were out before Christmas but had to be held back as we kept winning since.
    Fcuk this, the more I think about it, the more annoyed I get.

Can we win the league?? Of course we bloody can !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I've no source for this but seemingly Draxler is back to full training?

Or maybbe there doing a Dortmund on us were after Gotze everywhere, Dortmund signing imminent happy days we signed eh who Eisfeld :pac:.

Will Eisfield even make it? Is he good enough?

ugsparky wrote: »

I get your point about the media, but based on the above you also think Wenger thinks this too. If that is true then the media reaction cant be complained about.

I too feel this is a season too soon and a good summer recruitment might push us on another level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Read that he was meeting the physios today to see if he was ready to train again, either way the March reports were way off. Everywhere is saying 2 weeks at most.

We haven't actually been linked to Huntelaar, he was just quoted as saying he likes the PL.

Also City have obliterated any FFP targets set out in their latest accounts, which don't even mention the words 'Financial fair play' once. Lets see if UEFA do anything..

So you just made it up? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Pretty sure they had said March was off last week and that 2 weeks time was far more likely for him to train again

Spurs to continue with the nice red coloured AIA (Arsenal is Awesome) sponsorship for all competitions next year. :D

http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/tottenham-hotspur-set-announce-permanent-kit-deal-with-aia_24493

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Spurs to continue with the nice red coloured AIA (Arsenal is Awesome) sponsorship for all competitions next year. :D

http://www.football-shirts.co.uk/fans/tottenham-hotspur-set-announce-permanent-kit-deal-with-aia_24493

£12m a year. Bless :pac:

£12m a year. Bless :pac:

Is that because we are in the champions league every year or just a far superior club in general? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

City lost 480m in 30 months.

but it's ok, they score lots of goals.

having said that i would like a job with them.

The average salary for their 440 workers is....500k gbp a year.

Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Will Eisfield even make it? Is he good enough?

I doubt he will make it at this stage he seems to be down the pecking order behind other youth prospects while also being older.

He also hasn't set the reserves/youth on fire either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Is that because we are in the champions league every year or just a far superior club in general? ;)

More than likely down to them not being as big a club as us. They've only finished 4th two times since the Premier League started lol. Of course theyll remind you of that Carling cup triumph if you mention it though.

FearDark wrote: »
    More than likely down to them not being as big a club as us. They've only finished 4th two times since the Premier League started lol. Of course theyll remind you of that Carling cup triumph if you mention it though.

But every year the balance of power swings there players and the media will tell you

But every year the balance of power swings there players and the media will tell you

Anyway for the night thats in it

COYS!!!!

Never thought I would write that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Anyway for the night thats in it

COYS!!!!

Never thought I would write that :D

I want to flag this post :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

City 1 up after 15 mins and Spurs very poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Imagine we had a striker like aguero, making those runs with Ozil and santi feeding him those little through balls.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

If they keep dominating like this, it could be another 6-0 job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

City are just on another planet atm. Any one of their strikers would make our first team! It will be an amazing feat if we finish above them it really would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jonny666 wrote: »
    City are just on another planet atm. Any one of their strikers would make our first team! It will be an amazing feat if we finish above them it really would

Everything is done at pace unlike us with a very slow build-up.

That's simply because as good as Giroud is, he is nowhere a topclass striker.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Offside my hole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Offside my hole!

Decisions against us
    Decisions against Liverpool (not even marginal)
    Decision against Newcastle (madness)
    Decision against Spurs

May as well hand them the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

AdamD wrote: »
    Decisions against us
    Decisions against Liverpool (not even marginal)
    Decision against Newcastle (madness)
    Decision against Spurs

May as well hand them the title

They've been handed a lot of get outs this season.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I fancy spuds to nick a draw, they've come into the game a lot more over the last 20 minutes. Aguero off is no harm either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement