Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I really want to see Akpom at some stage, Arseblog confirms his recall from Coventry http://news.arseblog.com/2014/03/akpom-recalled-from-coventry-loan/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

He's currently playing with the U21's so won't see him tomorrow anyway. He did score though. Hasn't really got any senior experience so would be a bit much to be expecting anything from him.

Bellerin has been included in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I really want to see Akpom at some stage, Arseblog confirms his recall from Coventry http://news.arseblog.com/2014/03/akpom-recalled-from-coventry-loan/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Tbh id start him tomorrow or Sanogo. Akpom seems to play with a bit of hunger, and has a bitta pace. Really dont want to see the frenchie tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Surely there is no way the red card can stand and be transferred to OX.

The ball was going wide and obviously therefore not stopping a goal chance. Red cards for deliberate handball do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

To be honest any talk of progress or comparisons on previous seasons is futile until this season is actually over.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we had a big league finish (after the city game at least). On the other hand I could also see us blowing the cup in proper arsenal style!

One thing is for sure, supporting arsenal ain't good for the heart nor your emotional stability. Glory hunters we are not and if you've stood by and supported arsenal through the recent trophyless years then you are officially a gooner in my eyes even if we all have differing views on the club, team and manager.

So whether it's end of season nirvana or a mental breakdown of epic proportions I'm pretty sure we'll all still be goons come next season. But for the sake of our wives, girlfriends, boyfriends and children etc etc there must be magic pills that make it all easier??? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

ronjo wrote: »
    Surely there is no way the red card can stand and be transferred to OX.

The ball was going wide and obviously therefore not stopping a goal chance. Red cards for deliberate handball do not exist.

Earlier in the thread I posted a Daily Mirror ref saying that the red card would be transferred to OX on appeal. We would then appeal OX's sending off and that would be rescinded as ball was going wide.

omega man wrote: »
    To be honest any talk of progress or comparisons on previous seasons is futile until this season is actually over.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we had a big league finish (after the city game at least). On the other hand I could also see us blowing the cup in proper arsenal style!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONT SAY THAT..... DO NOT SAY THAT!!!!!!!!
    THAT WONT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!! IT CANT HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Raf32 wrote: »
    Tbh id start him tomorrow or Sanogo. Akpom seems to play with a bit of hunger, and has a bitta pace. Really dont want to see the frenchie tomorrow

I know it's only the under 21s, but he has managed to score a hat trick today against West Ham. More competition for Giroud can only be good I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Akpom get his hat trick for the U21s.
    Think he needs to make the step up to a higher level now. Should be given a loan move to a championship team or maybe premier league team next season.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

dvemail wrote: »
    Akpom get his hat trick for the U21s.
    Think he needs to make the step up to a higher level now. Should be given a loan move to a championship team or maybe premier league team next season.

He was already playing for the senior Coventry team, got a few starts with them as well. As loaned out to Brentford in January. Not Championship, but definitely useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Chuks Aneke has been scoring regulary for Crewe aswell, but despite what you think of Giroud it would be a gamble to throw Akpom into the starting 11. If Bendtner wasnt so fond of rubbing himself against a taxi he might have been in with a chance of getting game time

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    Chuks Aneke has been scoring regulary for Crewe aswell, but despite what you think of Giroud it would be a gamble to throw Akpom into the starting 11. If Bendtner wasnt so fond of rubbing himself against a taxi he might have been in with a chance of getting game time

Still really like Giroud, but I do think that he has been unfocused recently. To be expected really, considering what he is going through in his personal life. I want Akpom and Sanogo to light a fire under him and refocus his attention until the end of the season.

In the unlikely event of Akpom getting into the first 11, then that would tell us more about Girouds mental state than the ability of Akpom to be honest.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Still really like Giroud, but I do think that he has been unfocused recently. To be expected really, considering what he is going through in his personal life. I want Akpom and Sanogo to light a fire under him and refocus his attention until the end of the season.

In the unlikely event of Akpom getting into the first 11, then that would tell us more about Girouds mental state than the ability of Akpom to be honest.

Wasnt it reported last week that his wife is insisting they move back to France if he wants to save his marriage?
    To be fair it does sound like a reasonable enough request from her too.
    His personal life must surely be affecting him.

ronjo wrote: »
    Wasnt it reported last week that his wife is insisting they move back to France if he wants to save his marriage?
    To be fair it does sound like a reasonable enough request from her too.
    His personal life must surely be affecting him.

Yes, I read that, and yes, that is totally fair enough.

If he does move back to France to save his marriage, then he'll have regained some of my respect.

Hope he stays on as a squad player though, after we buy a top, top striker of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

omega man wrote: »

So whether it's end of season nirvana or a mental breakdown of epic proportions I'm pretty sure we'll all still be goons come next season. But for the sake of our wives, girlfriends, boyfriends and children etc etc there must be magic pills that make it all easier??? ;-)

hear hear.

I've brainwashed my 3.5 year old daughter into being a proper little gooner. Felt awful on Saturday morning as the peno was given she just looked at the telly confused. I bet she was thinking "Daddy said Arsenal are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. Daddy's full of sh1t!"

I'm sorry Kid. You're a gooner now. And that's the way it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Would rather Giroud stayed. Would be a good backup striker, but knowing Arsenal we may only buy a striker if Giroud leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

This thread is a little like the media and goes overboard. Either worst in the world after a defeat or the next invincibles after a victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    It's funny. Before the season had we been told we were almost guaranteed a top four finish and a very high chance of winning the FA Cup, every single person here would have taken it in a heartbeat. Now that it is happening, it isn't good enough?

At the end of the day we've had a very good season that could still turn out great. It seems some people are expecting 38 wins and anything less is a failure. Top three and an FA Cup would have been massive progress. Top four and an FA Cup isn't a bad alternative. Remember what the start of season expectations were and judge based on that.

I would be happy with that except for the fact that we had such poor results as 6-3, 5-1 and 6-0 against the teams above us.
    That would mean that the gulf at the top is getting worse and we are falling further behind the best teams. Never mind their results against the bottom teams, we have no say in that.
    Is the gap actually widening instead of closing and what's causing it?
    What's allowing it to continue unchecked?
    Why is the team not motivated for these games?
    Who is at fault?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

bad2dabone wrote: »
    hear hear.

I've brainwashed my 3.5 year old daughter into being a proper little gooner. Felt awful on Saturday morning as the peno was given she just looked at the telly confused. I bet she was thinking "Daddy said Arsenal are by far the greatest team the world has ever seen. Daddy's full of sh1t!"

My little one hasn't reached that stage yet, she can only tell daddy is watchin foofall

Gringo180 wrote: »
    This news has lifted my spirits somewhat. Hearing some people in here calling for the managers head at this point in time is ridiculous, he has had his hands tied financially the last 8 seasons and although we haven't won anything in a good while personally I think he has done a fantastic job giving the circumstances. If there is anybody I want and think deserves to spent the big bucks available now its Wenger, he has his faults but I believe he is the man to take us to the next level. Roll on tomorrow night I feel Swansea are going to feel the wrath after Saturdays shocker!!!!

How often were we told he had 70 million, 100 million etc to spend by Kronke?
    Someone is lying or else Wenger is refusing to spend the money.

• Advertisement

You could say you are over simplifying it by reducing it to a points total, this year we have done well in the cup, are in a better position in the league. Have seen the arival of Ozil the emergence of Ramsey and Chamberlain has also come on showing more and what we can expect along with the emregence of Gnabry. Flamini was a solid addition. Szcez along with Merts have both silenced there critics.

Were still not quite there but to say we haven't improved is farcical imo.

Have we improved against the 3 teams above us though?

CatInABox wrote: »

Have no sympathy for him, It's all his fault...
    getting caught...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

hear hear.

Brilliant!! My little girl doesn't have a competitive bone in her body but my son is really getting into the footie now. Of course he has the kits but for some reason he always decides to wear them after a bad deafeat! He couldn't care less so maybe it's my insecurities showing that I'm afraid he'll take a slagging for it. I've noticed he's talking about city a lot lately, I think it's school but I'm concerned! I guess it's like when all the kids started to support us back when we were winning things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Someone is lying or else Wenger is refusing to spend the money.

I do agree with this, ive said this many times Wenger needs somebody to push him into spending big money, a David Dein type character is needed back at the club.

Have we improved against the 3 teams above us though?

Well we did beat Liverpool twice this season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Tbh the liverpool game was a fluke, sure they would have beat us but not by that much. I dont think we are any worse than them, as evident beating them twice and had we had the same number of games as them we would be ahead of them. I think we have played 10 more games than them with long journeys so players are at a big disadvantage. I do think we are some way off city and chelsea however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Were still not quite there but to say we haven't improved is farcical imo.

I dont think the detractors are saying we havent improved . They are saying we are making the same mistakes.

Tactical naivity against the top teams.
    Not changing tactics based on the opposition.
    Too many quality players out on loan.
    Injury prone and bringing players back too soon from injuries
    Constantly purchasing the next potetntial 'Henry', and then either not playing em or shipping them out.
    Some dodgy crazy transfer day panic button stuff - Kallstrom case in point
    Not purchasing a journey man proven PL striker , to grab a few goals , pick someone up 5-6 million
    Over playing some players - Giroud case in point, the man was overused in the early season.
    Money in the bank but little spending .
    Too much possesion stats and not enough shots (although this did improve up until recent months when Wenger reverted to type)
    Wenger slow to make substitutions as the game progresses.
    Hiding and sitting on his arse in the dugout while we go out of the CL.
    Giving up winning positions.

Season is coming to an end and you will find repetition in the posts.
    The people who see faults are calling out the same faults, the people who see plus'es are calling out the same plus'es.

Little has changed in reality other than Man U falling apart and Spurs getting leggy from EL matches.

It's as if things couldn't get worse!

Mike Dean has been appointed referee for Arsenal v Man City on Saturday 29 March

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

The spurs match has started a new trend of wins under Mike Dean. Fear not.

maximoose wrote: »
    The spurs match has started a new trend of wins under Mike Dean. Fear not.

If we turn-up and give a real go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

We are playing for UCL place and FA Cup now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

What kind of team are we expecting tomorrow night?

Kosclienly is out meaning Vermaelen and Mertesacker. Personally I think that is better than Vermaelen and Kosclienly who are too similar to each other. So good news there.

Szczesny

Sagna - Vermaelen - Mertesacker - Monreal

Flamini
    Rosicky

Chamberlain? -- Cazorla
    Podolski

Sanogo

Kallstrom and (if needed) Giroud from the bench. Arteta can have the day off.

Obviously a question over Chamberlain since it is being appealed. If Chamberlain is out, Move Rosicky forward and Cazorla out wide with Kallstrom or Arteta coming in beside Flamini. Rosicky doesnt have the legs to play out wide anymore. Could see Podolski left out but I'd start him.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If Kallstom is fully fit might be no harm giving him a start considering the injuries in midfield. Himself and Flamini in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Some good news

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140324/gibbs-and-ox-available-for-swansea-game

Red card rescinded for those of you too lazy to click

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah I'd give Kallstrom a run tomorrow night. Gnabry too fwiw. May as well get game time under his belt now with a view to next season. I'd stick with Giroud funnily enough; Cazorla through the middle too without a doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

wonga77 wrote: »
    Some good news

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140324/gibbs-and-ox-available-for-swansea-game

Red card rescinded for those of you too lazy to click

That's a bit if welcome news on grey Monday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Think I read that Fabianski would get a game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

My little one hasn't reached that stage yet, she can only tell daddy is watchin foofall

I tried to get my nephew into it when he was 4 (5 now) and we were watching highlights of some match - whoever we were playing they were in blue. Anywho, told him to shout for the red team, we love the red team, yaaaah Arsenal.

All going well till the next match came up and it was Man Utd, playing at home, and he couldn't understand why we liked the red team five minutes ago, but hated them now :o

Maire2009 wrote: »
    I tried to get my nephew into it when he was 4 (5 now) and we were watching highlights of some match - whoever we were playing they were in blue. Anywho, told him to shout for the red team, we love the red team, yaaaah Arsenal.

All going well till the next match came up and it was Man Utd, playing at home, and he couldn't understand why we liked the red team five minutes ago, but hated them now :o

Kids can be just a bit too clever these days. You might have to do what the cult were trying to do to Homer Simpson in that Simpsons episode....'Nana nana nana nana ARSENAL!!'

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    That's a bit if welcome news on grey Monday evening.

If he leaves his marker idle like he did with Schurrle on Saturday it could prove a hindrance.

greendom wrote: »
    Think I read that Fabianski would get a game tomorrow.

If he got a run in the team he might do a uturn on leaving though it didnt stop Flamster back in 2008. Knowing Arsenal he is probably leaving over the sake of a few grand a week.

• Advertisement

Brainwashing is the way forward. My daughter thinks giroud is the best player in the world. That's how successful my program of mind altering techniques is.

Anyhow the only possible positive to take from a disastrous weekend is the team get a chance to attempt redemption tomorrow evening.

If we **** the fa cup up this season will be one which ends with more regrets and bad feelings.
    And we've all had enough of those at this stage.

Brainwashing is the way forward. My daughter thinks giroud is the best player in the world. That's how successful my program of mind altering techniques is.

Anyhow the only possible positive to take from a disastrous weekend is the team get a chance to attempt redemption tomorrow evening.

If we **** the fa cup up this season will be one which ends with more regrets and bad feelings.
    And we've all had enough of those at this stage.

Fúck me your up there with Keith Barry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I dont think the detractors are saying we havent improved . They are saying we are making the same mistakes.

Tactical naivity against the top teams.
    Not changing tactics based on the opposition.
    Too many quality players out on loan.
    Injury prone and bringing players back too soon from injuries
    Constantly purchasing the next potetntial 'Henry', and then either not playing em or shipping them out.
    Some dodgy crazy transfer day panic button stuff - Kallstrom case in point
    Not purchasing a journey man proven PL striker , to grab a few goals , pick someone up 5-6 million
    Over playing some players - Giroud case in point, the man was overused in the early season.
    Money in the bank but little spending .
    Too much possesion stats and not enough shots (although this did improve up until recent months when Wenger reverted to type)
    Wenger slow to make substitutions as the game progresses.
    Hiding and sitting on his arse in the dugout while we go out of the CL.
    Giving up winning positions.

Season is coming to an end and you will find repetition in the posts.
    The people who see faults are calling out the same faults, the people who see plus'es are calling out the same plus'es.

Little has changed in reality other than Man U falling apart and Spurs getting leggy from EL matches.

If people choose not to see improvement this year then I guess they can avoid it.

Personally I can't fathom how people think we haven't progressed.

The hilarious thing about the reaction to the other day is that people labelling Wenger 'average' or going through all his mistakes in detail are only really thinking about Saturday's match. If we won that he's a genius and his ethos and method for the last decade are vindicated. If we lose it people call him average. Sod the other 999 games, it's the last one that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Someone is lying or else Wenger is refusing to supend the money.

Sure the dogs on the street know that was bull****. Its long been obvious that we kept the image of a 'top club' competing with the best and that the Wenger project was to put a team of kids together to win the league.

That was the line and that was the propaganda as they tried to talk to talk. All the while Wenger had to keep within budgets and wages (a part often ignored) and try to succeed. I cant wait for the day he writes the book and it all comes out.

Yet we still have people believing crap about Wenger doesnt like to spend. Wenger had no issues spending money when we had it. People conveniently forget that. He will spend it again.

gosplan wrote: »
    If people choose not to see improvement this year then I guess they can avoid it.

The hilarious thing about the reaction to the other day is that people labelling Wenger 'average' or going through all his mistakes in detail are only really thinking about Saturday's match. If we won that he's a genius and his ethos and method for the last decade are vindicated. If we lose it people call him average. Sod the other 999 games, it's the last one that counts.

The fact is that we are no nearer to winning the EPL than we were last year.
    We continue to fall a long way behind City and Chelsea.
    Even if we improve against the lesser teams we are still not near the top teams.
    In actual fact we are still in essence fighting for fourth yet again. When we get fourth it just means that we go through the group again but no further.
    I don't think we have improved much at all but hopefully we will win the FA Cup and that will please a lot of our fans. For me nothing short of an EPL will suffice.
    The Cup means very little to me and is not really important. In fact a few years ago Man Utd thought so much of the FA Cup that they didn't play in it and instead went off to play some postmen in Melbourne if memory serves me right.

He'll spend it if he thinks a player is worth it.

Problem is he is very very stubborn and won't spend over what he decides the player is worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He's French and he's worth millions :)

gosplan wrote: »

No doubt Wenger proved his genius but are we talking past tense now? I realise you would pay a pretty penny for a Vieira or Petit these times if they were around now but I think we were successful when we were tougher and more robust. No way would even this currently Chelsea midfield have carved our team from 98-02 open like that, hell even with Essien, Lampard and Makelele they wouldnt have came close. My point is whether we have suffered in our pursuit of a certain lighter type of player in recent times?

Sure the dogs on the street know that was bull****. Its long been obvious that we kept the image of a 'top club' competing with the best and that the Wenger project was to put a team of kids together to win the league.

That was the line and that was the propaganda as they tried to talk to talk. All the while Wenger had to keep within budgets and wages (a part often ignored) and try to succeed. I cant wait for the day he writes the book and it all comes out.

Yet we still have people believing crap about Wenger doesnt like to spend. Wenger had no issues spending money when we had it. People conveniently forget that. He will spend it again.

That might be correct but if so they have treated the paying fans like dirt if they deliberately led them on with lies. It wouldn't explain why they said the budget and player-buying was down to Wenger alone though. AND if he played along with all the lies then he is part of the problem.

• Advertisement

He'll spend it if he thinks a player is worth it.

Problem is he is very very stubborn and won't spend over what he decides the player is worth.

Allegedly Dick Law was sent to Germany to make one offer and one offer only for Draxler. A waste of time and energy. Surely negotiations are about finding middle ground?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement