Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Going tomorrow evening but worried what will happen if Swansea take the lead.

Unfortunately there is a significant vocal minority at the ground who definitely want Wenger out and get on the team very quickly when things go wrong. In all honesty the significant minority could even be a majority as of the 30 or so season ticket holders I know, I can only name about 5including myself who want Wenger to stay on. The dissent has been growing significantly the last few years.

Whilst a lot on here don't like what jonneymendoza is posting, he actuals reflects the attitude and views of an awful lot of people I know who still have season tickets or have given them up in recent years.

My view, give Wenger the chance to spend the money this summer. If he doesn't then he needs to go. The drubbings have been embarrassing - the pubs in fins bury park emptied before half time on Saturday. But we're still in the cup. I got my semi ticket today. A trophy is a trophy. Let's focus on the fa cup and securing 4th and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ahhh... I can't find it in a reasonable time frame, sorry.

I had thought that is was either the FT or SwissRamble that had it, but I can't see it on either.

SwissRamble, by the way, has great articles on the financial side of the club, and talk about our massive cash pile.

See here.

I have been following our financials too since moving to the Emirates on swiss ramble and others and never remember hearing talk of us nearly going into administration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kos to miss a couple of weeks. That's a big blow. Hopefully TV can slot in and perform as well...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/24/arsenal-laurent-koscielny-arsene-wenger-swansea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,435 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did anyone see Wenger's statement after Saturday's match? Here's an extract -

Yet Wenger, having seen his team already ship six goals at Manchester City and five at Liverpool, was left dismayed at their latest capitulation and the onus is on his players to muster a recovery.

"The response has always been very strong and I'm convinced it will be again," he said. "You have to put that into perspective, we just came out of two convincing results at Bayern Munich and at Tottenham with a very solid defensive performance so you have to think that was an accident. How do you deal with the accident? You repair them, you repair the damage and you go for the next one.

"It's back to basics. An accident has happened. That doesn't mean that you're not a good driver.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/24/arsenal-laurent-koscielny-arsene-wenger-swansea

I can't understand this at all.
    What happened after the first and second crashes?
    If that happened to a driver he'd be off the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Paleface

greendom wrote: »
    Kos to miss a couple of weeks. That's a big blow. Hopefully TV can slot in and perform as well...

More bad news. The club really needs a good news story ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I haven't followed his progress this year but I really wish we had signed gustavo last summer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Did anyone see Wenger's statement after Saturday's match? Here's an extract -

Yet Wenger, having seen his team already ship six goals at Manchester City and five at Liverpool, was left dismayed at their latest capitulation and the onus is on his players to muster a recovery.

"The response has always been very strong and I'm convinced it will be again," he said. "You have to put that into perspective, we just came out of two convincing results at Bayern Munich and at Tottenham with a very solid defensive performance so you have to think that was an accident. How do you deal with the accident? You repair them, you repair the damage and you go for the next one.

"It's back to basics. An accident has happened. That doesn't mean that you're not a good driver.

I can't understand this at all.
    What happened after the first and second crashes?
    If that happened to a driver he'd be off the road.

We're playing again tomorrow he can't really come out and say I'm shît the players are shît my tactics are shît

I'd say what was said behind closed doors was different to what's been said in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

gosplan wrote: »
    Defo. Need a DMF and to focus on duties without the ball for the first 15-20 mins.

It's interesting to me that the City away game was very different from the other two. We had a go and really made a match of it. Fought to claw it back to 3-2 and then they scored straight away. It was still just 4-2 till the 88th min and ten all hell broke loose, including us being robbed a couple of times. It was swashbuckling and naive but better than the horror shows against Liverpool and Chelsea.

I really think that sending that team out to attack Chelsea from the off was a terrible move by Wenger. I've seen some people say 'well if Giroud's early chance went in, then...' but how often do Mourhino's Chelsea concede early in huge games at home.

Hopefully he'll learn from it. I don't think the team believed the other day. I think they might have believed in not conceding for the first 45 and then taking it from there.

I agree with your point about the City game. Much closer game than the scoreline suggests and not a bad performance. We did show up. Had chances to go 3-3.

Now its being conveniently lumped in with the other two. Also before the Liverpool game we were confident of doing Liverpool. And by following the plan we used at the Emirates. Not too many were on here crowing about defending from the start, etc.

I believe the team viewed that game as an anomaly and hence the naivety against Chelsea. I agree though Wenger got this wrong.

However people lumping in the City PERFORMANCE in with the Pool and Chelsea ones are way off.

Would like to see bellerin get a run tonight and we have a look at him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think Hector is in as cover for Bac if Bac has to move to CB - considering we Only have 2 fit CB’s now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

wonga77 wrote: »
    I haven't followed his progress this year but I really wish we had signed gustavo last summer

He probably would have made a big difference to our season as a more mobile holding midfielder. In the grand scheme of things he would have been cheap enough. A potential Gilberto mark II.
    Would like to see bellerin get a run tonight and we have a look at him

Jenkinson is ahead of Bellerin right now; and while I know I was advocating Gnabry starting, he is a relatively experienced first teamer compared to Bellerin or even Jenkinson. Lets not forget that even though the title may be gone, we're not home and hosed for 4th yet either, Everton are just 5pts behind us and could quite concieveably be a point ahead after the weekend. The last thing we want to do is give Everton/Spurs/United something to fight for.

I agree with your point about the City game. Much closer game than the scoreline suggests and not a bad performance. We did show up. Had chances to go 3-3.

Now its being conveniently lumped in with the other two. Also before the Liverpool game we were confident of doing Liverpool. And by following the plan we used at the Emirates. Not too many were on here crowing about defending from the start, etc.

I believe the team viewed that game as an anomaly and hence the naivety against Chelsea. I agree though Wenger got this wrong.

However people lumping in the City PERFORMANCE in with the Pool and Chelsea ones are way off.

Ha ha Maybe you forgot we shipped 6 goals then.
    Stop trying to deflect and play down sh** performances.
    We were dreadful in all three. You don't play well and concede 6 goals FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Ha ha Maybe you forgot we shipped 6 goals then.
    Stop trying to deflect and play down sh** performances.
    We were dreadful in all three. You don't play well and concede 6 goals FFS.

Are you sure you are a Arsenal Fan Tayto?
    The only thing you like to do is complain and complain. Part of me thinks you like to see Arsenal get beat so you can have a good moan about Wenger.

I know you will reply that you ain't a Delusional fan but come on, stop moaning and get behind the team.

Looper007 wrote: »
    The only thing you like to do is complain and complain. Part of me thinks you like to see Arsenal get beat so you can have a good moan about Wenger.

I know you will reply that you ain't a Delusional fan but come on, stop moaning and get behind the team.

I expected better from you Looper.
    Not pointing out flaws and playing down rubbish performances will win us nothing.
    OK then I'll start.

We conceded 17 goals in 3 away games against our top rivals BUT sure we played great. Happy now?

"We're going to win the league, we're going to win the league"

DenMan wrote: »

I don't think he will go to City even with the money they have to throw away.
    They will buy a younger player.

Don't think he is good enough, I like barcay but his best years are well behind him I'm hoping we upgrade too

Only 3 players in the Premier League have averaged more tackles per game than Ramsey this season. That part of his game is overlooked.

Seen this tweeted, the boy has it all some loss to the team, made arteta look class

Only 3 players in the Premier League have averaged more tackles per game than Ramsey this season. That part of his game is overlooked.

Seen this tweeted, the boy has it all some loss to the team, made arteta look class

He's probably the only current player who might have made the Invincibles team.
    He learned from the mistakes he made earlier in his career too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Maybe wary of FFP and decide to blow their budget elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Looper007 wrote: »

ahh so you are forbidden to critise your team for playing **** and should just stuck it up and lick wenger and co's behind and treat them as the messiah who you can never question or else you feel wrath!

yea ok...

I am debating whether i should buy tickets to see arsenal tonight but after yesterdays display? not a ****ing chance. Tickets will have to be free for me to go in the cold tonight to see these useless team play.

Yea they may win tonight but so what? doesn't automatically erase all the crap they have produced this season. far from it but i know some here will be happy again and talk about winning the title and how WENGER is god again.

Only way wenger can repair the damage is to win every single game from now until the end of the season

ahh so you are forbidden to critise your team for playing **** and should just stuck it up and lick wenger and co's behind and treat them as the messiah who you can never question or else you feel wrath!

yea ok...

I am debating whether i should buy tickets to see arsenal tonight but after yesterdays display? not a ****ing chance. Tickets will have to be free for me to go in the cold tonight to see these useless team play.

Yea they may win tonight but so what? doesn't automatically erase all the crap they have produced this season. far from it but i know some here will be happy again and talk about winning the title and how WENGER is god again.

Only way wenger can repair the damage is to win every single game from now until the end of the season

I hope you won't be looking for cup final tickets should we get there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Don't think he is good enough, I like barcay but his best years are well behind him I'm hoping we upgrade too

Do people actually think this? I've watched every Arsenal game in the last few months and I think he's really, really solid. Cazorla is constantly launching awkward curling cross-field balls at him and never once has he failed to control it and keep possession. His fitness is incredible and from what I've seen he rarely makes mistakes. In fact, most of the time if we get caught out on that flank it's because one of the midfielders lost the ball and he was caught out of position trying to help the attack, it's hardly his fault.

I realize he wants to move but I think he's a class footballer and we could do with keeping him for another year before shipping him out, and in my view the other lads need another year before they can be our full time fullbacks. I can't imagine who you could possibly have in mind who is a potential upgrade.

I think there needs to be a new thread. The let's all wallow in misery thread - Arsenal 2013 - 14. Then I could avoid it like the plague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭DenMan

I think there needs to be a new thread. The let's all wallow in misery thread - Arsenal 2013 - 14. Then I could avoid it like the plague

We're 3/4 there now! Once a thread hits 10,000 or so posts they are locked/closed and a new one is created I was told by a MOD!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

A good win tonight and a decent performance against City......and then all may be ok again, at least the misery might subside?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I think everyone can agree that the team has put in woeful performances this year - mostly against the rival teams and that hurts more. It also exaggerates our failings and weaknesses more.

But I still think we are progressing.

Despite the crazy score lines against the top teams our defence has become more solid on the whole. We seem to have reduced the times that weaker teams do us over. We concede less against them and i think we all have more confidence in the back 5.

The times where we're all biting our nails on the edge of our seats because we are only 3-0 up with 5 mins to play are gone. Most of the time we feel confident that we can hold onto a 1-0 a bit better than before.

The issues are still there, I'll admit. The stronger teams still have our number and we have a woeful record against them. But that's a much harder problem to solve and will take some good additions to the team and probably a different set of tactics from AW.

But I have faith that we can overcome that issue as well

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    A good win tonight and a decent performance against City......and then all may be ok again, at least the misery might subside?

I actually agree with this.

Unfortunately that has also happened for years and we will again paper over the cracks. Until the next flop that is.

Unfortunately that has also happened for years and we will again paper over the cracks. Until the next flop that is.

Well maybe the losses are the cracks and the wins smooth perfectly laid plaster. Not sure what the draws are ?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fair enough if we won tonight it might paper over the cracks, but beating City? I would be more inclined to see that as a sign they might finally be learning from their mistakes even if it is at home.

• Advertisement

What I will say is if lads can't have a moan after were hammered 6-0 when can they :)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Fair enough if we won tonight it might paper over the cracks, but beating City? I would be more inclined to see that as a sign they might finally be learning from their mistakes even if it is at home.

If we win tonight and again at city I'm inclined to think we might win the league
    The hammering is clouding people's judgment
    We're still right in the mix

Let's beat Swansea first though before we even think of beating City.
    The City game will be very difficult but I expect us to get a point. They have to win so won't park the bus as they did a few years ago.

What I will say is if lads can't have a moan after were hammered 6-0 when can they :)

I don't mind a moan. I don't think there was a single supporter who was happy with Saturday's performance. But that's gone now and I want to look forward and see where improvements can be made rather than the everything is s**t attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Or start a new thread. call it the
    YOU CAN ONLY SAY NICE THINGS ABOUT WENGER AND CANNOT CRITICISE ARSENAL PERFORMANCES WHEN THEY LOSE 6-0

I don't mind a moan. I don't think there was a single supporter who was happy with Saturday's performance. But that's gone now and I want to look forward and see where improvements can be made rather than the everything is s**t attitude

Improvements can only be made at Board and Managerial level.
    Spending big money on good players and changing rubbish tactics for big matches.
    I personally do not see much changing over the summer. We'll be here on the last day waiting in hope for news just like every other year.

Funny I could have posted that every other year for a decade.
    But maybe this year. You never know.:p

YOU CAN ONLY SAY NICE THINGS ABOUT WENGER AND CANNOT CRITICISE ARSENAL PERFORMANCES WHEN THEY LOSE 6-0

No that would be as daft as some of the nihilistic posts on display here.

Spending big money on good players and changing rubbish tactics for big matches.
    I personally do not see much changing over the summer. We'll be here on the last day waiting in hope for news just like every other year.

We win our next two games, I think we will win the league

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Arsenals points totals in the last 3 seasons are

10/11 68
    11/12 70
    12/13 73

Despite having our arses handed to us a few times this season we are well on the way to improving our tally for the THIRD year in a row.
    We also have a great chance of winning the FA Cup for the first time in 9 years.

Is this not progress? What say you naysayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

We win our next two games, I think we will win the league

Can you honestly see us winning all our games until the end of the season? Because thats what it would take to give a chance at the league. Give me 3rd and the cup now and i will bite your hand off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Even last year when we signed Ozil? People seem to act like last summer never happened yes it was a bit of clusterfcuk of a summer but in the end we signed Ozil a player with a huge reputation and broke our wage structure to do so and since then we have tied down all our promising and improved players down to long term contracts.

If you can't see that as a progress then I really don't know you can't really have said it for every other year this decade ;).

We all know were the problem lies our defence is solid what happens in big games is our midfield gets exposed and leaves the defence open to getting destroyed. We badly badly need an upgrade on Arteta he just isn't up to it and I think Wenger knows this otherwise he wouldn't have been in for Bender last summer and I think like last years its an area he will target to strengthen.

Along with a CF and possibly a winger, maybe also some defensive cover is some players leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I think "The Arsenal Supporters Thread" has a better ring to it and might be more appropriate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

There is no doubt in my mind that we have progressed this season. But we need to build on this in the summer and bring in 4 real quality players, players with a bit of steel as I think we have too many soft players in the squad. I think the boss needs to be improve on his tactics too and stop being so gun ho in away games against the top sides.

wawaman wrote: »
    Can you honestly see us winning all our games until the end of the season? Because thats what it would take to give a chance at the league. Give me 3rd and the cup now and i will bite your hand off

If we beat city yes I can

Do I think we will beat city prob not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Looking forward to tonight. Let's get going again and appreciate the improvements made so far this season.

FA cup a distinct possibility and a higher points total this season. I think we are snowballing towards a title winning team. We just need to keep layering up with quality players (DM/STRIKER) and keep this team spirit up.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Even if we won all our games, highly highly unlikely, we'd still need a massive dose of luck. Liverpool would have to draw their games against Chelsea/City and City and Chelsea would have to lose another game besides.

I don't get it.

We all criticised.

But most of us got over it.

That's football. In the season, there's always another game.

If last Saturdays game was the last game of the season and all we had to do was not concede 6 goals to either win the league or get fourth place, I'd be right there with ye criticising the sh*t out of the team. But it wasn't.

Build a bridge and get over it already.

COYG

Even if we won all our games, highly highly unlikely, we'd still need a massive dose of luck. Liverpool would have to draw their games against Chelsea/City and City and Chelsea would have to lose another game besides.

Like Villa or Sunderland?

(tbf, I really had to go back a while to see the last time City lost in the league. Definite reason they're favourites for the title)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You can absolutely criticise, and it's important to but the rational criticisim is that Wenger is approaching big games with the wrong tactics and there's something serious wrong with the mentality and spirit of the team on these occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th

Average manager.

(he's defo flawed - infuriatingly so - but not average)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement