Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Like Villa or Sunderland?

(tbf, I really had to go back a while to see the last time City lost in the league. Definite reason they're favourites for the title)

Aye I'm fully aware they've dropped points like that, Chelsea very recently but I wouldn't want to be relying on it, and City haven't done it in quite a while as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

My general rule of thumb is whichever game is closer is the only one worth thinking about. We were entitled to a good whine about the Chelsea game up until last night, we should really consider the next two games now rather than wallow in misery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I really dont want to see this place if we drop points tonight. Its not even a definite, Swansea are a decent team and our squad is down to the bones so wouldnt be surprised if we did drop points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Can't argue if giroud and arteta are dropped tonight also think more needed from carzola who hasn't lived up to last seasons promise but cannot agree with changing the keeper. Yes, he was poor for a couple of goals but has been much improved this season and at his age will continue to improve, dropping him can only undermine his confidence

Seems to be serious links with bender. we would have two engines in the middle with him and ramsey would be very good in europe.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Raf32 wrote: »
    Seems to be serious links with bender. we would have two engines in the middle with him and ramsey would be very good in europe.

Where you seeing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Were the links coming from? I know were meant to have tried last summer to get him but failed.

It would make sense for us to go back in for him or is it the media just throwing a few words onto paper to make a story.

Telegraph writer Jeremy Wilson ( one of the best in the game imo) said we will be going back in for him in one of his articles. Would love to get him could be as important as getting a top striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Saw this posted on Reddit.
    Amazing is quite the understatement.
    During the time table discussed here (last 5 years) these are some of the net spends of PL clubs:
    City: 479mil pounds
    Chelsea: 282m pounds
    United: 138m
    Stoke: 91m
    Liverpool: 89m
    Arsenal: -4m
    Just let that sit for moment...
    Arsenal have the history and prestige of a top four club but when it comes to the most important aspect of investing money into recent player acquisitions Arsenal are a bottom four club who has had to sell some of its most important players that continuously manages to stay among the top 4.
    The Emirates went up in 03 and Wenger lost all monetary support from the board in order to allow them to stabilize the interest and principal of the debt from the construction and he managed to keep them in the CL every year throughout. People love to mock him for having not won during but this period but this is such an incredible feat to have kept them competitive year in year out.
    Every year the squad had been severely lacking in at least one major area and had zero depth but he's managed to find bargain players and teenagers who can play in his system well enough to eek out another fourth place finish.
    This year, the first after the financial lockdown, they cooly snap up one of finest creative talents in the world and, despite losing two of their two best attacking players in Ramsey for over 4 months and Walcott for 6 still stayed in first up until about a month ago. If they can go a season without losing key players and bringing in new talent like Ozil they'll surely be competing with the top four soon enough and never, ever have to worry about their finances ever again because of what Wenger and the board accomplished over the past 10 years.

Pretty much sums up why I want him to stay on and that he's far from a "average" manager that a certain idiot has been calling him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Link from the Mail as well.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2588435/Arsenal-eye-Leverkusen-midfielder-Lars-Bender-failed-bid-summer.html

We need some discipline in the midfield. Would be a solid addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Bender is class

Him and Ramsey would be delicious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Galvasean wrote: »
    Wenger an 'average' manager who will not be remembered? I've heard it all now.
    Yes, I'm sure when people visit the stadium he brought us to and look at the one of a kind golden Premier League trophy that sits there people will be scratching their heads thinking, "What average manager did all of this?".

Di Matteo must be a world class manager too as he won a CL trophy which wenger the so called god of all managers never won

Mr Blobby wrote: »

Pretty much sums up why I want him to stay on and that he's far from a "average" manager that a certain idiot has been calling him.

go on i would like you to state who in this forum is an idiot and watch the mods deal with your issue calling people an idiot.

I myself may disagree with others here but i am mature enough not to call people idiots.

That is something a child does and i dont think you are one.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 4th

Average manager.

(he's defo flawed - infuriatingly so - but not average)

trophy = 0

reason for faltering at the same time every season> same ****ing reason for the past 10 years

Only an average manager makes the same mistake 10 times in a row.

He really has taken the brunt of the blame from everyone since our new stadium build. Not once has he said anything untoward about the club or the boardroom and that should be admired.
    Whether he stays or goes this season, in 10 years time when we look back on this lean period and there will be one man to thank for the prosperous times ahead.

trophy = 0

reason for faltering at the same time every season> same ****ing reason for the past 10 years

Only an average manager makes the same mistake 10 times in a row.

You know you do win trophies for coming first?
    The more patient fans realize what we had to sacrifice when we made the move to the emirates. Now he has money and in his first season of having it, we should win a trophy. Thats progress. Then next season I want to see us push on or then we all wont want him to stay but i know we will push on. and if we dont make progress he will walk he knows himself when the time is right to go and its not now.

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that means you lose your title of being a great manager.
    As an outsider he's still one of the best, his big game tactics have been horribly found out this year however.

this year? LOL last 10 years mate. Have you actually checked our record against the top teams in the past 10 years? its embarassing coupled with the fact they WE HAVE NEVER BEATEN MORINHO'S chelsea side.

for ****sakes Aston Villa beat Chelsea! Says it all. Arsenal where not PL material last saturday.

So when do you lose your title as a great manager? 20 years 30 years? 40 years of no trophy? which?

You know you do win trophies for coming first?
    The more patient fans realize what we had to sacrifice when we made the move to the emirates. Now he has money and in his first season of having it, we should win a trophy. Thats progress. Then next season I want to see us push on or then we all wont want him to stay but i know we will push on. and if we dont make progress he will walk he knows himself when the time is right to go and its not now.

im happy for him to stay IF he pushes on and learns from his mistakes.

Agreed, but he definitely deserves a chance over the next two years to see what he can do with this squad now that he has some financial backing. If it's the same ole same then he will go and that will probably be his own decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

jonney, how about commenting on my post two pages back showing we are looking like increasing points for the third season in a row with a great chance of the FA Cup.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to argue with you and respect your opinion, but have we pushed on this year? Honestly if we win the cup is that not progress? Who thought this time last year we would have Ozil :pac: I'm all for giving him next season and if no progress, then I will like to see him step down too but im sure there will be like this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Brilliant article. Think I might paste that every time there is a post going on about last 9 years this or last 9 years that.

His biggest mistake (in terms of winning trophies) was agreeing to stay on as manager with a severly depleted income for years to come. Shame so many fail or refuse to see this.

greendom wrote: »
    His biggest mistake (in terms of winning trophies) was agreeing to stay on as manager with a severly depleted income for years to come. Shame so many fail or refuse to see this.

Loyalty is his biggest fault, otherwise he would be clocking up the trophies elsewhere.

greendom wrote: »

disagreed. Most and i say MOST of the reasons why we failed for 10 years is all done to wenger. MUST I COPY and paste 100 reasons why its wengers fault?

Not one of the reasons is due to money

ronjo wrote: »
    jonney, how about commenting on my post two pages back showing we are looking like increasing points for the third season in a row with a great chance of the FA Cup.

which post is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

I really dont want to see this place if we drop points tonight. Its not even a definite, Swansea are a decent team and our squad is down to the bones so wouldnt be surprised if we did drop points.
    The good thing is that Swansea are a kind of an Arsenal Lite it's the strong and powerful teams we struggle with.

disagreed. Most and i say MOST of the reasons why we failed for 10 years is all done to wenger. MUST I COPY and paste 100 reasons why its wengers fault?

Ur definitely on a wind up now

dinorebel wrote: »
    The good thing is that Swansea are a kind of an Arsenal Lite it's the strong and powerful teams we struggle with.

ya true hopefully they come open as usual and we play through them, bony looks a handful upfront though.

• Advertisement

Jonney give it a rest will ya, you were talking about how were all adults etc in here yet your coming across like a two year old stamping his feet having a hissy fit in most your posts.

Not addressing peoples posts or reasons as to what our issues have been just a ranty post followed by a ranty post without any real points being made it makes for hard reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

So if Wenger had a billion to spend on players like City had he still wouldn't have won anything because he's just an average manager anyway and money isn't important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So you think that Wenger should have been able to go toe to toe with Chelsea when they were spending 100 million a year more?

Hopefully your right but much like a lot of fans I'm sure a lot of the players confidence took a hiding the weekend. This will be a huge test of character.

I'm not expecting them to be blistering but if they can grind out a result and show some grith ill be happy to take 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Dont forget they beat us at home last season tho.

which post is that?
    Arsenals points totals in the last 3 seasons are

10/11 68
    11/12 70
    12/13 73

Despite having our arses handed to us a few times this season we are well on the way to improving our tally for the THIRD year in a row.
    We also have a great chance of winning the FA Cup for the first time in 9 years.

Is this not progress? What say you naysayers?

This one... sorry for the repost everyone else.

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    Dont forget they beat us at home last season tho.

That was all down to Michu.............. and poor Carl falling over himself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Loyalty is his biggest fault, otherwise he would be clocking up the trophies elsewhere.

He is not your typical manager, actually I don't think there ever was or ever will be another manager like him. It is not just about football and trophies, it is about the club as a whole. The board would have told him of their redevelopment plans and he was involved from the very start, involved in every part of it. He knew what he was taking on, he knew there was a 10 year plan, he knew there would be sacrifices and limited funds but he also knew and believed in what he and the people around him were capable of.

The only thing he didn't account for was massive money pushed into clubs like Chelsea and later City.

And he has pulled it off. Wait and see how Spurs and Pool handle their redevelopments. Unless they get serious financial backing they will not come close to pulling off what Wenger has done.

Now that 10 years is done we can move on and start pushing for the title. It is not going to happen over night in but we are already making progress compared to the last few years. Wenger deserves another few years to see where he can now take us. And he will win us the title in the next few years, that I believe.

This post has jumped the shark !

Jonney give it a rest will ya, you were talking about how were all adults etc in here yet your coming across like a two year old stamping his feet having a hissy fit in most your posts.

Not addressing peoples posts or reasons as to what our issues have been just a ranty post followed by a ranty post without any real points being made it makes for hard reading.

how can i address everyones posts when someone here posts a new post every 2mins LOL.

i do not sit infront of the computer all day mate :)

I think it's fairly simple...

1: Wenger has done amazing things at Arsenal that pretty much no manager has ever done. Klopp, Rodgers are doing fantastic work but will they put Dortmund and Liverpool on a par with Munich and Man U?

2: If you were an oil sheik buying a club tomorrow and bankrolling teams, then Jose would be a far better manager.

In terms of winning games and titles, Wenger has clear faults. However he's improved the club hugely in terms of solidity and results in the last 12 months. He has one clear problem now: how to take on the big teams. I think he deserves the chance to build on this and will continue to support him while you can see clear progress year on year.

• Advertisement

So if Wenger had a billion to spend on players like City had he still wouldn't have won anything because he's just an average manager anyway and money isn't important?

yup. You go on as if arsenal are complete broke when we have not been. we are the 3rd or 4th highest paying in wages.

we spend money and have money, its wenger that chooses not to spend it. 50m and suarez would have been ours, another 35m and Higuan would have been ours too. but not wenger the tight guy couldnt afford to spend an extra 10m for suarez and 5m for higuan.
    gosplan wrote: »
    So you think that Wenger should have been able to go toe to toe with Chelsea when they were spending 100 million a year more?

Yup. Liverpool are doing just fine going toe to toe with them and wont lose 6:0 i guarantee you that now
    This one... sorry for the repost everyone else.

Thats minor progress. have we progressed far in the CL? FA CUP? league positions over the past 10 years(minus the CL final appearance which was 9-8 years ago i believe)?

here is progress. finish a higher league position, staying in the CL further then the 2nd round and staying longer in the FA CUP(About the only progress guaranteed this season) Not getting an extra 2-3 points lol

gosplan wrote: »

In terms of winning games and titles, Wenger has clear faults. However he's improved the club hugely in the last 12 months. He has one clear problem now: how to take on the big teams. I think he deserves the chance to build on this and will continue to support him while you can see clear progress year on year.

This I was often critical of Wenger over the years and there are still faults there clear as day. But once I see progress I am happy and this year we have progressed.

If we can progress again next year improve our form against our rivals, strengthen the weak parts of the team and show obvious attempts to improve our injury record I'll be happy.

Rome wasn't built in a day and not every club can be Man City or Chelsea soulless clubs throwing money around as a fun toy for some rich playboy.

Thats minor progress. have we progressed far in the CL? FA CUP? league positions over the past 10 years(minus the CL final appearance which was 9-8 years ago i believe)?

here is progress. finish a higher league position, staying in the CL further then the 2nd round and staying longer in the FA CUP(About the only progress guaranteed this season) Not getting an extra 2-3 points lol

So its not progress but minor progress...

You sound like Gilesy......"Hes a good player, but not a great player Bill"
    Must be read in Giles accent! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yup. Liverpool are doing just fine going toe to toe with them and wont lose 6:0 i guarantee you that now

Liverpool's finishing positions the last 4 seasons have been 7th, 8th, 6th and 7th. Toe to toe? :pac:

Rome wasn't built in a day and not every club can be Man City or Chelsea soulless clubs throwing money around as a fun toy for some rich playboy.

Why should we have to settle for incremental progess though when Liverpool, who finished 7th last season can make a big improvement this season when they are coached right and have a proper goalscorer

Why should we have to settle for incremental progess though when Liverpool, who finished 7th last season can make a big improvement this season when they are coached right and have a proper goalscorer

You know they are only 3 points ahead of us and went out of the cups straight away. They will struggle with having Europe next year imo.

You know they are only 3 points ahead of us and went out of the cups straight away. They will struggle with having Europe next year imo.

I know that but my point is they have made a big improvement this season

yup. You go on as if arsenal are complete broke when we have not been. we are the 3rd or 4th highest paying in wages.

we spend money and have money, its wenger that chooses not to spend it. 50m and suarez would have been ours, another 35m and Higuan would have been ours too. but not wenger the tight guy couldnt afford to spend an extra 10m for suarez and 5m for higuan.

So just to confirm Jonney,

You're saying yes, if Wenger spent a billion in a Man City style splurge, he still would be trophyless for the last few years.

And you're also saying yes, Wenger should have been matching City's results when they went on their spending spree.

I know that but my point is they have made a big improvement this season

easy to make an improvement when your 7th though. We are on the cusp of the big jump and think we will make it this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Liverpool are only playing 1 game a week, and have no high energy CL games and trips away to deal with. They even had a full 2 weeks rest before the Utd game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement