Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bad2dabone wrote: »
    if he sets the team up the same way as versus city and chelsea and pool.......

He doesn't know any other way though. He is tactically naive I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Wenger needs to go against the grain against City and just park the f'***in bus.

Or at least for the first 30 minutes.

If he directs them to go out and attack in the opening few minutes, ala our full backs bombing down the wings then I think Wenger will have to be declared mad .A mad hatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

The sad, very sad part for me, is that we are only 6 points off the leaders and could have been 4 tonight. Yet we are so concerned, rightly, about securing 4th place. It is such a tight top 6 this year. :(

bad2dabone wrote: »
    we'll be ok. get some horse placenta on Rambo.

I dunno now.
    It turned the last lad into a w@nker........ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    The sad, very sad part for me, is that we are only 6 points off the leaders and could have been 4 tonight. Yet we are so concerned, rightly, about securing 4th place. It is such a tight top 6 thus year. :(

Yup it's a real pity. Despite a poor performance a win tonight could have sparked a glimmer of a chance to finish with a big run and see where the cards fall but alas it's going to our annual battle for 4th. Groundhog Day :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

On the bus on the way home from the game. Not sure if the game was on to but some observations from tonight.

Gibbs needs to be told he is a full back not a winger. The amount of times he was so far up the pitch was ridiculous. Whilst he did great for the first goal the amount of space he left was criminal. And he plays far too narrow.

Giroud is a 2nd choice striker at best. We desperately need to upgrade but I'd have him as 2nd choice.

Not as much booing at half time as I expected and in the 2nd half the fans really got behind the team.

Why has arteta forgot to shoot. He had at least 2 golden opportunities one in each half and didn't bother. The 2nd half one you could see even he thought he was an idiot for not shooting as he held his head in his hands.

Kellstrom looks as if he has a bit if fight to him. Looks very encouraging but he runs as if he can't sprint and is knackered!

Ox was criminal in the amount of times he gave away the ball especially in the first half.

Podolski was brilliant. Added a spark. Little Mozart tries his heart out.

Sadly santi for whatever reason has not regained the form of last year. His corners in the first half were criminal.

With 20 minutes to go I would have settled for the point. The late goal was soul destroying and sapped a lot of confidence out of the support.

I'll be back at the emirates but with out current midfield given the injuries I fear what could happen. I'd start kellstrom and podolski for Ox and santi.

We need to spend big and early during the summer or next year we haven't a hope of 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

How are our midfield going to cope with the strength and power of Yaya and Fernandinho? I'd drop Arteta and start with Flamini and Kallstrom sitting in front of the back 4. But knowing Arsene, he'll start with just Arteta and we'll get mauled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What's the story with Flamini, did he get booked today?

Need him for FA cup.

I'd absolutely start Gnabry and Ox on the wings against City, Cazorla in centre behind striker.

If we play with no pace City will have a laugh with us. Like Chelses, they'll press us as high as they want knowing they can always jog back in time.

Wilshere, Ramsey, Ozil and Kos looking like another 2 weeks :eek:

So much for Ramsey's 4-6 weeks (it's been 12 so far).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Just watched Everton Newcastle

1) Everton were excellent going forward. It's going to be a real battle to beat them.

2) Judging from what I've seen of him this season, Hatem Ben Arfa might be a good signing for you lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

If you lot dont get something from city, and i dont think you will then id be very wary of everton if i were yee:D

omega man wrote: »

I suspected this from the start. We probably won't see him until August.
    Diaby was supposed to be back mid March - no sign either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

The FA Cup and 5th

or no FA Cup and 4th?

If you had a choice....

I suspected this from the start. We probably won't see him until August.
    Diaby was supposed to be back mid March - no sign either.

Yeah i can hear it now "Aaron Ramsey......like a new signing" a week or 2 into next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

omega man wrote: »

****ing joke that is to be honest, we have a former rugby player conditioning our players no wonder we pick up so many injuries!!

• Advertisement

djPSB wrote: »
    The FA Cup and 5th

or no FA Cup and 4th?

If you had a choice....

Fa cup for me. Pain in my hole finishing 4th. At least if we did finish out of the top 4 we might go out and spend a nice few bob on some much needed quality players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Fa cup for me. Pain in my hole finishing 4th. At least if we did finish out of the top 4 we might go out and spend a nice few bob on some much needed quality players

If that happened, could you see Wenger leaving?

Ha ha they'd say we didn't need them now as we're not in Europe.:D

Cant see it happening to be honest we will definitely finish top 4 and Wenger will sign a new contract. I will be truely devastated if we dont win the F.A Cup, I just think if this team tasted a bit of success it would be the making of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Cant see it happening to be honest we will definitely finish top 4 and Wenger will sign a new contract. I will be truely devastated if we dont win the F.A Cup, I just think if this team tasted a bit of success it would be the making of them.

It would make us fans up too.....success that is something we could do with a taste of, lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

djPSB wrote: »
    The FA Cup and 5th

or no FA Cup and 4th?

If you had a choice....

4th

****ing joke that is to be honest, we have a former rugby player conditioning our players no wonder we pick up so many injuries!!

In fairness our injury record long pre-dated Jerry Flannery. 2008 we were crippled with injuries.

As it happens Flannery cant fathom how soccer players get injured so easily considering I suppose for example at least two of the Irish team took knocks from Bastereaud the other day and got up so its bound to surprise him

If anything a rugby player should be able to toughen us up to take knocks. I think personally our players are so finely tuned and with the lack of cover they have to play so much without rest that they are prone to injuries.

Also i think when we took a more physical approach to matches teams were less willing to mix it with us as we used to give as good as we got so therefore no one dared go in with a leg breaker. Nowadays we invite tasty challenges.

Ever see anyone go in over the top on Ray Parlour for example? or Vieira? or Grimandi? Nope because they'd f**ckin murder him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

So it appears, some of our fans don't want us to finish fourth as if it's going to teach us some kind of important lesson. The same morons don't want Wenger to sign a new contract either, but they still want us to sign world class players. How are we planning on attracting these players? We will have reduced revenues, so will be unable to pay massive wages, we won't have the lure of Champions League football, and we will also have lost probably our largest draw, which is Wenger.

Be careful what ya wish for lads, because sometimes these things have a way of coming back and slapping you in the face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Mickeroo wrote: »
    4th

To get knocked out again in the last 16, as we do every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Quazzie wrote: »
    So it appears, some of our fans don't want us to finish fourth as if it's going to teach us some kind of important lesson. The same morons don't want Wenger to sign a new contract either, but they still want us to sign world class players. How are we planning on attracting these players? We will have reduced revenues, so will be unable to pay massive wages, we won't have the lure of Champions League football, and we will also have lost probably our largest draw, which is Wenger.

Be careful what ya wish for lads, because sometimes these things have a way of coming back and slapping you in the face.

I just think everyone is deflated at the moment, of course we would all like to get fourth just feels like a bad consolation prize right now. Looks like it will be late august before we make any significant signings though because we wouldnt be fully qualified until then which is upsetting.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Without 4th we won't attract anywhere near the calibre of player that is required at the club. Securing 4th has to be top priority. The FA cup is nice, but no one is going to come play for us because of it.

Still though, Even the group stages of the CL creates huge revenue that is there in the bank to be boasted about at the end of the season......or we could go mad too and put it toward another Ozil type signing though i wont hold my breath.

At least its a longer more orange carrot to dangle.

gosplan wrote: »
    Solely in terms of financing and future proofing the club.
    Yeah?
    8+Money+League.jpg

Without 4th we won't attract anywhere near the calibre of player that is required at the club. Securing 4th has to be top priority. The FA cup is nice, but no one is going to come play for us because of it.

We have been saying that for the last 7 years!

We have 4th now, let's get a world class partner for Cesc, let's get a world class winger to feed RVP, let's get a world class striker etc

We never do it.

We never push on.

It will be the same **** again this summer, we will qualify for the champions league at the end of August and then a mad panic to buy a few to get ous to 4th again.

Do you really believe Wenger will buy what's needed?

He needs half a team and they can't get injured :D

Raf32 wrote: »
    Looks like it will be late august before we make any significant signings though because we wouldnt be fully qualified until then which is upsetting.

Looking forward to that again, brillant.

Love this team :pac:

• Advertisement

If anything a rugby player should be able to toughen us up to take knocks. I think personally our players are so finely tuned and with the lack of cover they have to play so much without rest that they are prone to injuries.

Bull**** tbh. Soccer injuries are a couple of things, finely tuned muscles getting strained and joint injuries. Getting shouldered will hurt for a while, someone turning your ankle will hurt for a while longer and isn't easy to run around with.

Anyway, last year we lost the corresponding fixture so we're now +3 compared to last year for the corresponding fixtures. Am I the only one being positive? :pac:

In case anyone wants to question my reasons for not posting during the match and waiting til now I'll save yous the hassle, I was drinking with a girl. It was fun, everyone should do it once or twice a year.

We have been saying that for the last 7 years!

We have 4th now, let's get a world class partner for Cesc, let's get a world class winger to feed RVP, let's get a world class striker etc

We never do it.

We never push on.

It will be the same **** again this summer, we will qualify for the champions league at the end of August and then a mad panic to buy a few to get ous to 4th again.

Do you really believe Wenger will buy what's needed?

He needs half a team and they can't get injured :D

I can understand some who want Wenger out. Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. What I can't understand is anyone who would want us to finish out of the Champions league spots. That makes no sense.

This year we shattered out transfer record, and we still have people saying we aren't buying anyone. I do believe we will buy big. Whether it's big enough, we won't know till next season though.

Bull**** tbh. Soccer injuries are a couple of things, finely tuned muscles getting strained and joint injuries. Getting shouldered will hurt for a while, someone turning your ankle will hurt for a while longer and isn't easy to run around with.

Anyway, last year we lost the corresponding fixture so we're now +3 compared to last year for the corresponding fixtures. Am I the only one being positive? :pac:

In case anyone wants to question my reasons for not posting during the match and waiting til now I'll save yous the hassle, I was drinking with a girl. It was fun, everyone should do it once or twice a year.

Ah yeah out having fun while some of us real fans were tuned in to the match...;)

I can understand some who want Wenger out. Fair enough, you are entitled to your opinion. What I can't understand is anyone who would want us to finish out of the Champions league spots. That makes no sense.

This year we shattered out transfer record, and we still have people saying we aren't buying anyone. I do believe we will buy big. Whether it's big enough, we won't know till next season though.

Sure the moaning that some of the so called experts are doing about Ozil with some even calling him 'a flop' is a total joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Just want to point out that flannery or johnny o Connor have absolutely nothing to do with the first team

Just want to point out that flannery or johnny o Connor have absolutely nothing to do with the first team

No id imagine they are only doing work placement. Probably just observing methods.

Something wrong at the club though. Cant be just luck at this stage. I personally think its the squad size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

No id imagine they are only doing work placement. Probably just observing methods.

Something wrong at the club though. Cant be just luck at this stage. I personally think its the squad size.

There over the youths

Over using players is my guess and bad rehab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah?
    8+Money+League.jpg

That's 11/12

What's the up to date ones but more importantly what's the gap now compared to pre-emirates days.

I really don't think there's an argument tbh.

Everyone here has realistic hopes for us to spend as much as any team this summer, that's my point.

All I was trying to say is Wenger did that bit well. Maybe done disagree with me though.

Ah yeah out having fun while some of us real fans were tuned in to the match...;)
    Sometimes ya gotta do something for yourself.
    Sure the moaning that some of the so called experts are doing about Ozil with some even calling him 'a flop' is a total joke.
    Wouldn't quite say "flop" but he hasn't made the difference he should have. How much of that is down to him and how much is down to sticking with tactics that haven't worked for half a dozen years and that obviously don't suit him is up for discussion.

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    That's 11/12

What's the up to date ones but more importantly what's the gap now compared to pre-emirates days.

I really don't think there's an argument tbh.

Everyone here has realistic hopes for us to spend as much as any team this summer, that's my point.

All I was trying to say is Wenger did that bit well. Maybe done disagree with me though.
    People need to learn the difference between closing a gap somewhat and completely closing a gap/being on par.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

People need to learn the difference between closing a gap somewhat and completely closing a gap/being on par.

Where in that table is the outgoings and debts associated with them Clubs??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I know it's been said before by a few on here but Scholes sums up Arsenal's problems perfectly.

Poor result really and it looks like the Game with Everton is now more important then the game with City now. We just lack fight really plus they look totally knackered, pretty amazing for professional footballers. It's looking pretty bleak now and getting 4th is now the main aim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Cup or 4th mean little to me. It's about winning the EPL for me.

We could win the treble, play beautiful football and go unbeaten and you still moan tayto.

JoyousBlackandwhiteFlycatcher.gif

Miss this guy :(

I don't want Wenger out either.

His tactics and team selections are gone to **** though, Arteta and Flamini in midfield against the mighty Swansea ffs.He will probably go the opposite against City and play Rosicky and Cazorla together.

I almost feel embarrassed for believing this season was the start of us getting back to where we once where, this is a never ending cycle, we might sign one or two good players in the summer like you say, but some other position will haunt us next year and we'll fall short again.

It's a sad state of affairs when we are trying to convince ourselves how lucky we are to make 4th.

Wenger after the game
    "The result is very disappointing but the spirit we put in and the effort we put in was great"

"But overall I have to give credit to the fighting spirit and the desire we put into that game."

Has he completely forgotten what made him succeed in England in the first place?

We took a serious wrong turn back in 2006 basing the whole team on Cesc's style of play, know going back now.

• Advertisement

Miss this guy :(

Have people forgotten that we got hammered by 6, with Ramsey, Özil and Walcott on the pitch against City?

Have people forgotten that we got hammered by 6, with Ramsey, Özil and Walcott on the pitch against City?

No I haven't forgotten, but instead of being constantly negative like some posters here, I posted a gif of a nice piece of skill from a player whose positive contributions this season far outweigh the negative ones.

If he wanted to stay he would have signed the contract by now.

What's he waiting for?

He doesn't need the money, a better deal.

I think he has come to the realisation that this is it.

He's hurting imo, I think he has given up.

Who can blame him.

He bought these players, he trained them, he developed them, he provided the tactics and they failed him.

In the Chelsea game, he said he wanted ous to attack from the 1st minute because he wanted the 3 points but chelsea counter attacked ous and punished ous.

He believed in them, stupidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Özil - Walcott - Giroud would have been lethal. They rarely played together this season by the time Özil settled. With Özil and Walcott missing, Giroud has struggled.

Not to mention missing Ramsey.

In fairness I think they all only really gloss over the fact that Giroud isn't good enough as a CF.
    If ye fall out of the CL it could be a long road back
    The cup might look nice but its worthless

Exactly 4th over the F.A Cup everyday of the week.

Sad to say but were now in trouble only a few weeks a go we were title contenders now were on the verge of collapse shocking stuff really.

Is it Wenger, is it our injuries, our lack of activity in the January I'd say it down to a combination of fcuk ups but it sure is frustrating as a fan to watch this happen.

One thing that is not good enough is the constant lies to the fans on injuries how often are we told the a player will be back in such and such a time only for that timeframe to be amendend on a constant basis. Every now and then ok it can happen but it happens everytime is the club that inept or are they just lying all the time to serve a purpose of keeping fans calm.

Next two games are of huge importance see how it pans out.

I do love how we always tend to get new or returning posters everytime **** hits the fan but who then slink off into the wilderness in the good times. It's as if some of these people thrive of being miserable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Scholars says Wilshere hasn't improved since 17. Correct.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement