Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 mod warning post #5144

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I don't think the team has progressed at all. We'll just about make it to 4th again

We are six points behind the leaders. It was 16 last season. That's progression. But people would rather look back than ahead. Chelsea and Everton are both the same distance away from us.

Last season we finished on 73. We need 11 from 21 to improve on that. Bar an absolute awful run in, once again, that's progression.

We also have a very high chance of the FA Cup. That's progression.

Anyone who cant see that isnt paying attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I'd personally give wenger a 1yr rolling contract

You cant be doing that it just sends out all the wrong signals, potential new signings wont be signing if they think the manager that signed them could be gone the following year or 6 months. Give the man a 4 year contract its the least he deserves!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Daydreaming here but a starting 11 next season that is gettable and one I think could win the big games and maybe a title

Same back 5
    Bender/Ramsey
    Walcott. Ozil. Pedro
    Remey

Maybe a new full back

But in general I would be happy with that as our best 11 next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

If Wenger does sign a new contract and actually brings in the players we need, it won't do us much good if he continues not to approach games against the better teams with a proper game plan and tactical awareness. I find it astonishing if it's true that he pays no attention to the strengths and weaknesses of our opponents and instead just focuses on letting the players express themselves and play their own game. You can have 11 great players but without strategy and organisation, you'll still get picked off by clever opponents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

wonga77 wrote: »
    I disagree, I cant see what the big deal about him posting a pic of him and two chefs is for, he's getting a fair bit of stick on twitter about it. Its criminal that he might have a life outside of football.

Exactly shock horror a player out injured and he is still enjoying his life and free time well shock horror how dare he I want him sat at home in a dark cold room until it is time for him to play again wallowing in self pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I was trying to edit the post and deleted it cause I couldnt get the original quote off for some reason, ah well the point still stands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Guardian saying that City have offered Sagna a 3 year deal. He may not be the player he was but he still has a lot to offer and I would be sickened to see him in their jersey.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/26/manchester-city-offer-bacary-sagna-arsenal-three-year-deal?CMP=twt_gu

Guardian saying that City have offered Sagna a 3 year deal. He may not be the player he was but he still has a lot to offer and I would be sickened to see him in their jersey.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/26/manchester-city-offer-bacary-sagna-arsenal-three-year-deal?CMP=twt_gu

Wouldnt mind seeing Richards come the other way. Id also play Vermaelan left full on a permanent basis, Gibbs isnt a defender.

I wouldnt like to see him go to City either but i would be surprised if they didnt go for a younger player but what the hell do I know anyway,

Interesting paragraph from that article

The path from Arsenal to City is well trodden, with Emmanuel Adebayor, Kolo Touré, Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy each making the move between 2009-2011. Other former Arsenal players are employed or have been employed by City, namely Patrick Vieira, Brian Kidd, Brian Marwood, David Platt and Stuart Taylor while Wenger remembers how Yaya Toure, the City midfielder, played for Arsenal in a pre-season game in 2003. His performance against Barnet, Wenger has said, was "completely average."

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Wouldnt mind seeing Richards come the other way. Id also play Vermaelan left full on a permanent basis, Gibbs isnt a defender.

Vermaelen gives me the shivers, he's not a whole pile better at defending than Gibbs tbh

• Advertisement

Sounds like his agent is working hard here

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Daydreaming here but a starting 11 next season that is gettable and one I think could win the big games and maybe a title

Same back 5
    Bender/Ramsey
    Walcott. Ozil. Pedro
    Remey

Maybe a new full back

But in general I would be happy with that as our best 11 next season

We need a new full back or else Gibbs should be taught how to defend. He thinks he is a winger. We need cover or a replacement for Sagna.

We need cover in central defence.

Would love Bender. He is gettable if Arsene decides not to try and pinch and save.

Is Pedro gettable - definitely love him with his pace.

Would hate Remy. Besides the personal baggage, he is no improvement on Giroud in terms of goal scoring ability albeit would have pace which Giroud lacks. However, he is the type cheap replacement that Arsene would sanction. Need to aim at better strikers in my opinion.

Pudders wrote: »
    We need a new full back or else Gibbs should be taught how to defend. He thinks he is a winger. We need cover or a replacement for Sagna.

Would love Bender. He is gettable if Arsene decides not to try and pinch and save.

Would hate Remy. Besides the personal baggage, he is no improvement on Giroud in terms of goal scoring ability albeit would have pace which Giroud lacks. However, he is the type cheap replacement that Arsene would sanction. Need to aim at better strikers in my opinion.

I just didn't add it cover

I like Gibbs but def agree he have his flaws and can improve ten fold

I can't see any world class forwards we can get, so I like the idea of remy only cost around 10m too and we can go big on pedro and bender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Pudders wrote: »

Why do people want Lars Bender?
    He isn't a holding mid.. His brother Sven (BVB) is the holding mid.

If we want a decent holding mid that can break up attacks while having good distribution then we should get Schneiderlin.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Why do people want Lars Bender?
    He isn't a holding mid.. His brother Sven (BVB) is the holding mid.

If we want a decent holding mid that can break up attacks while having good distribution then we should get Schneiderlin.
    Said a few seasons back we should of went in for De Jong when he was leaving City, exactly the type of player we need.

You have to remember we only have a limited number of squad places too. We had 22 this season but Wilshere is now over 21 so will have to be added to that number. Sanogo, Jenkinson, Miyaichi will all be 21, but I'm pretty they dont count until the year after. Park will likely be out. Wouldnt be surprised if Diaby was left out too.

For signings, I'd be happy with Bender from what I've seen, with Arteta going out. Balotelli would do nicely up front too, but I know not everyone will agree. Bendtner going out. Also need a keeper since Viviano is only on loan and Fabianski looks to be leaving.

Arteta Bender
    Bendtner - HG Balotelli
    Cazorla
    Diaby
    Fabianski Youth keeper/new keeper
    Flamini
    Gibbs - HG
    Giroud
    Källström
    Koscielny
    Mertesacker
    Monreal
    Özil
    Park
    Podolski
    Ramsey - HG
    Rosicky
    Sagna
    Szczesny - HG
    Vermaelen
    Viviano
    Walcott - HG
    Wilshere - HG

Assuming we sign Viviano or keep Fabianski. 22 if we sign a new keeper to replace the other, 21 if we promote from the youths. Plus three empty spots for the missing home grown players meaning 1 free spot. Anything else will need to be a direct replacement. Not a lot of freedom which seems to have been forgotten about.

For me it'd be something like this.

Out:
    Bendtner
    Park
    Sagna

In:
    Balotelli
    Cuadrado
    Schneiderlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I thought Leverkusen played him in centre and defensive mid quite often. Granted i've only seen them play like 4 times this year but that's where they stuck him in those games and I think he could do a serious job in our midfield alongside Ramsey/Wilshere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

In:
    Balotelli
    /QUOTE]

Ta fuk, are you serious?

The guy is a joke. People talk of him for his off field antics, its hardly ever to do with him beasting it on the field.

He's a joke and shouldn't be near any serious team, especially our Arsenal.

Of course he would add to the squad, whoever comes in will be replacing Niki B so its aint hard to do but surely there is better out there.

I thought Leverkusen played him in centre and defensive mid quite often. Granted i've only seen them play like 4 times this year but that's where they stuck him in those games and I think he could do a serious job in our midfield alongside Ramsey/Wilshere.

He does play in the centre most of the time. But he's very similar to Ramsey and we really don't need another box to box player.

His brother Sven is the defensive one.

For me Schneiderlin is the perfect player for us. He can sit back and do the dirty work while still being able to control the game with good passing. He's also only 24 and has Premier league experience.

• Advertisement

In:
    Balotelli
    /QUOTE]

Ta fuk, are you serious?

The guy is a joke. People talk of him for his off field antics, its hardly ever to do with him beasting it on the field.

Of course he would add to the squad, whoever comes in will be replacing Niki B so its aint hard to do but surely there is better out there.

Suggestions? Realistic and would improve us?

Ronaldo would improve us but isnt realistic.
    Heskey is realistic but wouldnt improve us.

In:
    Balotelli
    /QUOTE]

Ta fuk, are you serious?

A on form Balotelli can be lethal. He has scored 23 goals in 34 appearances for Milan (Serie A) in a pretty crappy Milan team.
    If you're counting out Balotelli you're very foolish.

I'd quite like to see Ballotelli tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Looper007 wrote: »
    We could win the treble, play beautiful football and go unbeaten and you still moan tayto.

Who wouldn't moan about the dross we have seen this year?
    Being the whipping boys of the top four, having a one-dimensional system and a manager who only knows one way, a permanent injury crisis and a team who clearly don't have their hearts in it.
    I have said many times that I have little interest in the domestic cups or in being in the CL unless we can actually challenge for it. If fourth is good enough for some of you and a group stage then that's fine but don't come on here accusing me of moaning because I want more than that.
    If the only reason we get into it is to raise even more money for shareholders then that's fine for them but not for me. The way we are going we will have a big stadium which will be half-full in time as people will vote with their feet and refuse to pay the highest prices in Europe in order to finish fourth or maybe even fifth.
    I have no interest on who is manager either and if Wenger can't motivate the players anymore or change tactics for certain games then maybe he should go upstairs and concentrate on what he is best at, generating funds and planning and allow a new manager who can motivate and use modern tactics take over the team. By the way I still think Wenger could do that but he's trying to be a jack of all trades and as a result the team seems to be suffering. We have won nothing in the last 10 years FFS. We have lost our best players because they have seen no ambition and left to win things.
    Thanks-whoring is fine too but I prefer to say what I see and not try to please other posters and be a big man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Being the whipping boys of the top four, having a one-dimensional system and a manager who only knows one way, a permanent injury crisis and a team who clearly don't have their hearts in it.
    I have said many times that I have little interest in the domestic cups or in being in the CL unless we can actually challenge for it. If fourth is good enough for some of you and a group stage then that's fine but don't come on here accusing me of moaning because I want more than that.
    If the only reason we get into it is to raise even more money for shareholders then that's fine for them but not for me. The way we are going we will have a big stadium which will be half-full in time as people will vote with their feet and refuse to pay the highest prices in Europe in order to finish fourth or maybe even fifth.
    I have no interest on who is manager either and if Wenger can't motivate the players anymore or change tactics for certain games then maybe he should go upstairs and concentrate on what he is best at, generating funds and planning and allow a new manager who can motivate and use modern tactics take over the team. By the way I still think Wenger could do that but he's trying to be a jack of all trades and as a result the team seems to be suffering. We have won nothing in the last 10 years FFS. We have lost our best players because they have seen no ambition and left to win things.
    Thanks-whoring is fine too but I prefer to say what I see and not try to please other posters and be a big man.

Tayto I normally enjoy reading your posts but the last few days you have gone off the rails altogether :pac:.

Some of what you say is true we have lost to many games against our rivals this season more than we should have imo but the record is being really sensationalised by the two drubbing by Liverpool and Chelsea whilst shocking results and not the results of a league winning side there have been good results to mainly two against Liverpool at the same time.

You have no interest in Champions League football ok so answer me this how do you think we will attract the players we need to win league titles without it? Domestic Cups mean fcuk all to you yet in the same post you harp on about having won nothing in ten years so which is it?

Shaeholders argument is tired at this stage and has been proven to be bull**** buy our finances plus didn't we break any myth of that last summer with the signing of Ozil?

On Wenger once again I'm torn would I give him more time yes would I be devastated were he to leave and Klopp came in no in fact I would probably be a bit more excited for the future to see what direction someone new can take us.

The thanks whoring comment is bull**** always has been and always will be just because popular opinion doesn't sway with you doesn't mean anyone who disagrees with you is thanks whoring to be honest even mentioning it comes across as childish.

Neil-deGrasse-Tyson-we-got-a-bad-ass-over-here-meme.png

You must be blind so.. because most of what you're saying is bull.

Think someone has been pissing in Tayto's corn flakes :pac:

Tayto I normally enjoy reading your posts but the last few days you have gone off the rails altogether :pac:.

Some of what you say is true we have lost to many games against our rivals this season more than we should have imo but the record is being really sensationalised by the two drubbing by Liverpool and Chelsea whilst shocking results and not the results of a league winning side there have been good results to mainly two against Liverpool at the same time.

You have no interest in Champions League football ok so answer me this how do you think we will attract the players we need to win league titles without it? Domestic Cups mean fcuk all to you yet in the same post you harp on about having won nothing in ten years so which is it?

Shaeholders argument is tired at this stage and has been proven to be bull**** buy our finances plus didn't we break any myth of that last summer with the signing of Ozil?

On Wenger once again I'm torn would I give him more time yes would I be devastated were he to leave and Klopp came in no in fact I would probably be a bit more excited for the future to see what direction someone new can take us.

The thanks whoring comment is bull**** always has been and always will be just because popular opinion doesn't sway with you doesn't mean anyone who disagrees with you is thanks whoring to be honest even mentioning it comes across as childish.

I will always point out what and where I think things are wrong at the club I have supported for nearly 50 years. Nobody will stop me speaking my mind.

On the Cup thing I have said many times that the EPL is my competition. That's the one I want to win. Domestics cups do not interest me much except to watch. Others can enjoy them all they like, they do little for me. Sure haven't Man Utd declined to play in it a few years ago. Wigan won it last year and were then relegated. I'd say they would have swapped it for a EPL place.

I don't mind posters disagreeing with me at any time but smart-ass comments I will not take.

Also it was great that we bought Ozil as I have said many times BUT we also neglected our defence for years and failed to use windows to fill obvious gaping holes too.

• Advertisement

You must be blind so.. because most of what you're saying is bull.

I bet you get a good many thanks for that :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

A lot of what Tayto says is true but it doesn't really take account of the really good stuff we've done this year.

We were found wanting in the end in terms of squad mentality and depth and found it really hard to negotiate the two sick runs of games we had.

But we haven't challenged this far in a season for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I will always point out what and where I think things are wrong at the club I have supported for nearly 50 years. Nobody will stop me speaking my mind.

On the Cup thing I have said many times that the EPL is my competition. That's the one I want to win. Domestics cups do not interest me much except to watch. Others can enjoy them all they like, they do little for me. Sure haven't Man Utd declined to play in it a few years ago. Wigan won it last year and were then relegated. I'd say they would have swapped it for a EPL place.

I don't mind posters disagreeing with me at any time but smart-ass comments I will not take.

Also it was great that we bought Ozil as I have said many times BUT we also neglected our defence for years and failed to use windows to fill obvious gaping holes too.

50 years! Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

But Tayto in all your 50 years of following Arsenal I bet there is only a handful of moments that have beaten the Alan Sunderland goal in the last minute??

Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭ronjo

gosplan wrote: »
    A lot of what Tayto says is true but it doesn't really take account of the really good stuff we've done this year.

We were found wanting in the end in terms of squad mentality and depth and found it really hard to negotiate the two sick runs of games we had.

But we haven't challenged this far in a season for a long time.

It is really frustrating though how toothless we have looked for a month or so. We have been desperately unluckly with injuries but ever since Giroud was caught with his pants down the goals in general have dried up.
    They have taken the "No more scoring" literally !

ronjo wrote: »
    It is really frustrating though how toothless we have looked for a month or so. We have been desperately unluckly with injuries but ever since Giroud was caught with his pants down the goals in general have dried up.
    They have taken the "No more scoring" literally !

Something that annoyed me last night and which I mentioned at the time was -

1. We played 2 D.M.'s at home against Swansea.
    2. We played 1 D.M. away against Chelsea.

Can anyone please explain the logic of that to me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

And people wonder why i think wenger is average.

ronjo wrote: »
    But Tayto in all your 50 years of following Arsenal I bet there is only a handful of moments that have beaten the Alan Sunderland goal in the last minute??

Am I right?

I preferred Ray Kennedy's at Spurs in '71.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

What would people think of going back to 4-4-2 next season if we sign a top striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

I preferred Ray Kennedy's at Spurs in '71.

Nothing will ever compare to Anfield and Mickey Thomas. 25th anniversary approaching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Raf32 wrote: »
    What would people think of going back to 4-4-2 next season if we sign a top striker?

Worth trying out for a couple of games to see what Giroud would be like having a pace striker to play along with. Reckon he may be off in the summer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Spanish Johnny

Because the Swansea game came after the 6-0 defeat. Confidence was low and we had rightly to be wary on the break. Surely you see the logic in it??

Had we gone with one def mid you'd be the very one saying he never learns and doesnt change tactics!

Does it have to be constantly negative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I've been saying it for a while that it could probably even work with Podolski. The two of them played well together last year but unfortunately Poldi hasn't been given the chance so far this year, despite showing what he is capable of again last night.

If we had a top striker, it could only be better.

Unless ya have two beasts in midfield ya will get over run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Unless ya have two beasts in midfield ya will get over run

Ramsey and Bender would be perfect for the two.

Because the Swansea game came after the 6-0 defeat. Confidence was low and we had rightly to be wary on the break. Surely you see the logic in it??

Had we gone with one def mid you'd be the very one saying he never learns and doesnt change tactics!

Does it have to be constantly negative?

That's amazing because after we lost 5 - 1 at Liverpool we only used 1 DM at home to Man Utd.
    After we lost 6 - 3 at City we only used 1 DM at home to Chelsea.

Your argument does not hold water unless you think Swansea are better than both Utd and Chelsea.

Negative attitudes comes with poor performances. Defending the indefensible Johnny no matter what it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I think what we need more than anything is more pace.
    Would love to see us go back to the days with our face paced counter attacks. We changed the way we play to accommodate Fabregas, now he's long gone and were still trying to do the same.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dvemail wrote: »
    Worth trying out for a couple of games to see what Giroud would be like having a pace striker to play along with. Reckon he may be off in the summer though.

I hope they dont get rid of him, he's definitely not up to leading the line every single match but if they bought someone better he'd still be a great option when rotation is required or we're hit with injuries. Even as 2nd choice I'd expect him to hit double figures handy enough.He gets a lot of flack, and he's deserved it lately but he's an above average striker and you couldn't ask for a better back up /plan B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Chelsea was a mistake,

Swansea was the right thing to do to try and just have a solid game.

gosplan wrote: »
    Chelsea was a mistake,

Swansea was the right thing to do to try and just have a solid game.

Well that worked out very well then, didn't it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement